North Korea: What to do?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:41 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
"But I've got to prove myself to him somehow," Kim said. "He'll kill me if I don't."

Good line.

The son will have a hard time topping the father in terms of personal nuttiness, but we can hope.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:15 pm
@FBM,
It astounds and frightens me that anyone might have seriously thought otherwise.

The notion that open engagement and continuous dialogue will somehow divert or mitigate the intentions of regimes like North Korea is not only incredibly naive, it is dangerous.

It would make far more sense if the people promoting this policy secretly favored the realization of the regime's intentions, but, with extremely rare exception, they, of course, do not. Instead, despite clear evidence to the contrary, they actually believe the approach will work.

I'm not sure if this belief is predicated upon a near religious faith in the power of communication, or an equally powerful bias against any use of force.

I am certain that it flows, at least in part, from the post-modernist way of thinking that insists that everyone's point of view is valid, and therefore no single one can be determinant.

We should never be so arrogant as to think that our point of view is anything but that, an opinion or position taken based upon our own narrow and limited perception, and therefore should never be the basis for our taking action. Instead, we need to fully understand our opponent's point of view and in that way we can fashion a course of action that will meet the needs and desires of all parties.

Seems reasonable, and it might be if an additional, related tenet of post-modernist thinking wasn't demanded as well: Moral relativism.

It's foolish and counterproductive to consider the North Korean and Iranian regimes as evil. Foolish because the concept of evil is a product of primitive tribalism and superstition that originates in our reptilian brain. Counter-productive, because how can we achieve a solution based on the synthesis of the various parties' points of view if we automatically invalidate one with the crude, blanketing label of evil?

Whether or not we want to label as Evil, a regime that denies its citizens the most basic of human rights, accepts as unavoidable mass starvation within its populace (or worse uses it as a means to control the population), strove unceasingly to secure nuclear weapons for the sole purpose of insuring its ongoing existence, is willing to sell weapons of any kind to clients of any kind, and is more than willing to engage in deadly military stunts as a component of it extortionist strategy, it is delusional to assert any ambiguity about the moral position of the North Korean regime.

It is so hard to imagine that anyone in power within the US or South Korean governments not only believed the approach would work, but that the North Koreans wouldn’t take full advantage of it, that it is difficult to believe that their decisions were not based on purely self-serving, personal or partisan, political interests and motivations. The alternative is that these two nations were led, during the years in which the North Koreans worked to secure their nukes, by morons whose source of guiding principles is Sesame Street.

And yet if you listen to, at least, former players from the American side (Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Madeline Albright, Robert Galluci, William Perry and others) you will conclude that they either believed all of their fanciful efforts would work or that they are very good liars.

Madeline Albright in an interview with Frontline several years ago spoke of North Korea's point of view in terms of its desire to secure nuclear weapons in much the same terms as her colleagues from the Clinton Adminsitration: They are concerned about the security of their regime. Not a hint of judgment concerning the legitimacy of that concern, just a statement of fact.

Clearly it was logical for the regime to be concerned over its security and it is important in these matters to understand the enemy's point of view; their motivations, but not, necessarily, in order to fashion a compromise solution that will, to one extent or another, accomodate their desires. This is particularly true when the motivational source is, in and of itself, unfavorable to our interests and the interests of our allies.

The fact that the security of the North Korean regime guaranteed the ongoing suffering and oppression of millions of fellow human beings was clearly beside the point, and not permitted to enter into consideration. This from the same group of people who were all quick to criticize the Bush government for what they believed was the suffering of the Iraqi people; caused by his interventist war.

Now we have an Administration who believes the same approach that failed with North Korea will work with Iran. When it fails, and it will, and the Iranians have nukes, the Kims and North Korea will become mere petty annoyances by comparison.

FBM

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I can't find anything to disagree with in what you wrote. Even so, I think every peaceful means to settle such a dispute must be tried before the military option is brought out. No matter how idealistic and non-productive those approaches are, the world would condemn any country for going straight to the military option. In this case, SK couldn't opt for the military option on its own; it just doesn't have the firepower. The military option would have to involve the US, which means having to explain to the US public why we were going back to Korea for another war, as well as going to the UN for approval. It's a big can of worms, it is.

Oh, and I vaguely recall that a poor Central American country or two has seen regime change as a result of subversive economic and political destabilization by the US. Or maybe that was just a rumor I heard. Anyway, it's not going to work on NK, especially with China propping them up.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:06 pm
@FBM,
That's what I was wondering, thanks.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Whether or not we want to label as Evil, a regime that denies its citizens the most basic of human rights, USA, Native Americans and Blacks - but its record outside the US is much much worse accepts as unavoidable mass starvation within its populace (or worse uses it as a means to control the population), USA, Native Americans - has used it in a number of other countries including Vietnam, N Korea, Nicaragua, ... strove unceasingly to secure nuclear weapons for the sole purpose of insuring its ongoing existence, USA is willing to sell weapons of any kind to clients of any kind, USA - a multitude of brutal dictators in the past; still doing so to this day and is more than willing to engage in deadly military stunts as a component of it extortionist strategy, USA - Iraq, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Vietnam, Chile, El Salvador, Haiti, Angola, Cuba, Honduras, Bolivia, ... it is delusional to assert any ambiguity about the moral position of the United States regime.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:21 am
Cheers, oss...

Don't know what to make of this. It's in the most conservative daily. Could just be more propaganda: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/12/13/2010121300724.html

Quote:
Signs Suggest that N.Korean Regime Is Cracking

South Korean, U.S. and Japanese foreign ministry officials talked about the possibility that the North Korean regime has lost control and gone off the rails since the artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island, it emerged Friday. On Thursday, President Lee Myung-bak said North Koreans are now much aware of the outside world. "I feel reunification is now not far off."

A senior government official said, "Having watched the North launch a series of provocations such as the torpedo attack on the Navy corvette Cheonan, its uranium enrichment program and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island, officials in Seoul, Washington and Tokyo recently discussed the need to look at the North's latest movements from a completely new viewpoint."

He said some officials saw the Yeonpyeong attack as merely another round in a familiar pattern of provocations, "but others said that it shows that the situation on the Korean Peninsula has entered a new phase." This may mean the regime "has lost control internally," he added.

◆ Provocations

In the past, the North regularly alternated tensions and charm offensives to gain material aid and political profit, either through the six-party talks or direct contact with the U.S. It then launched another round of provocation if the aid dwindled.

"But when we were trying to create an atmosphere for dialogue early this year, they torpedoed the Cheonan," the government official said. "And when we were trying again to create such an atmosphere after the Cheonan attack, they shelled Yeonpyeong. The signals the North sends out are not as consistent as in the past."

◆ Cracks in the Regime

There are two possible explanations. One is that the regime with its nuclear capabilities judged that South Korea would not dare to respond to any provocation, but would have to accept negotiations for fear of escalation. The other is that the regime is cracking.

After leader Kim Jong-il had a stroke in August 2008, speculation emerged that the regime has changed. Before he collapsed, power was concentrated only in his hands. Nobody had talked about a "second-in-command," let alone a "successor."

Kim reacted swiftly to a rumor in 2004 that supporters were gathering around Jang Song-taek, the husband of his younger sister Kyong-hui, and ruthlessly purged Jang and his associates.

But with Kim's health deteriorating and his third son Jong-un established as his heir, the North has changed, say observers.

A North Korean source said, "There are some unusual signs now that it's difficult for Kim Jong-il to make all the decisions alone as before." He speculated that the process of transferring power to Kim Jong-un is going badly.

"After he was established as the heir apparent in the early 1970s, Kim Jong-il concentrated power around him for more than 10 years, but this is not the case with Kim Jong-un," said a former senior North Korean official who defected to the South.
[email protected] / Dec. 13, 2010 10:32 KST
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:46 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I can't find anything to disagree with in what you wrote. Even so, I think every peaceful means to settle such a dispute must be tried before the military option is brought out. No matter how idealistic and non-productive those approaches are, the world would condemn any country for going straight to the military option. In this case, SK couldn't opt for the military option on its own; it just doesn't have the firepower. The military option would have to involve the US, which means having to explain to the US public why we were going back to Korea for another war, as well as going to the UN for approval. It's a big can of worms, it is.

Oh, and I vaguely recall that a poor Central American country or two has seen regime change as a result of subversive economic and political destabilization by the US. Or maybe that was just a rumor I heard. Anyway, it's not going to work on NK, especially with China propping them up.

I agree that in most cases, war should be the last resort (exceptions are if a nation is attacked or has credible intelligence indicating an attack is truly immanent), and I'm not sure that anyone other than a few extremists ever called for military intervention at the time it was first known that North Korea or Iran were developing nuclear weapons.

The question we faced with North Korea and are now facing with Iran is what to do when the non-military efforts prove to be ineffective? The Clinton Administration's answer to the question was "Nothing," and it appears that is how the Obama administration will answer it in the case of Iran.

Before North Korea obtained nukes, it was clear that not only were negotiations ineffective, they were working to the advantage of the North Korean regime. They accepted all incentives, weathered all sanctions, and bought themselves time to accomplish their mission.

Your point about South Korea is well taken, but is ultimately irrelevant in terms of South Korean accountability if Seoul never urged the US to take military action. I'm not suggesting they should have taken unilateral military action, but if they had, the US would have, most likely, been forced to back them up, and so that was an option as well.

The Clinton administration had two general options when it came to military action. It could have gone to the American people and tried to convince them of the need for military action before launching it (As did the Bush administration with Iraq), but this would have lost them the element of surprise and given North Korea time to prepare or strike first. The alternative was to order surgical first strikes and then gone to the American people to explain its reasoning. This would have been more risky politically, but would have given the military option a better chance of success.

Instead they took the craven way out. They continued their failed policy of dialogue and handed the next administration a nuclear North Korea.

I'm giving the Clinton administration credit for having considered and attempting whatever subversive activity, within the borders of North Korea, was possible with the goal being regime change. If they did it obviously didn't work and as you suggest the reason for its failure was China's support.

The clearly preferred manner to resolve international problems is through dialogue and negotiations, and if that doesn't work to apply economic and political pressure in order to effect regime change. I include both approaches as non-military, and in the case of North Korea non-military options revealed themselves to be ineffective well before the regime secured its nukes.

Attempting the military option is not an easy decision to make, and I don't recommend taking it lightly or without exhausting alternative efforts. There is no guarantee it will work and in the short term it will make matters worse. There is a high probability that American servicemen as well as innocent civilians will die.

In addition, when the choice is made there is no guarantee that without military action the worst will happen. Obviously if Clinton had a crystal ball at his disposal and could see that in 2011 the North Koreans would launch nuclear missiles against Seoul and Tokyo, the decision to use military force during his term would have been a lot easier.

However Clinton did know or certainly should have known that if and when the North Koreans obtained nukes, the region would become less stable, nuclear blackmail would be constant, the regime would become more secure, the possibility of a catastrophic war with South Korea would greatly increase, the chances of terrorists obtaining nuclear weapons would increase, and other rogue nations would be encouraged to pursue nukes for themselves.

Against this, he opted for dumping the problem in the hands of the next administration.
FBM

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I certainly won't object to your analysis. In hindsight, Clinton's approach was naive. He took NK on their word that they wouldn't pursue a nuclear program under the Agreed Framework, but they did, much to everyone's shock and dismay when it became known. It was at that point that we learned how little we can trust any agreement with the North.

Even so, it was proper protocol to exhaust the diplomatic channels first so that the world could see that it was useless. I gather that we agree on this. The issue now is how to proceed now that we know for certain that NK is bent on developing nukes that could threaten the whole planet. They hate the **** out of Japan, South Korea, the US and any UN member who sides with them. Should we sit on our hands and wait until they've got the nuclear capability to hold half the world's countries hostage? I think you and I agree that such would not be the wise course of action for any of the countries involved. Except NK, that is.
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 11:03 am
@FBM,
Quote:
It was at that point that we learned how little we can trust any agreement with the North.

A little on the hypocritical side wouldn't you say, FBM. Consider how often the US breaks treaties it has made with other countries, how often it breaks international law, something that it was instrumental in setting up.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 12:36 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I certainly won't object to your analysis. In hindsight, Clinton's approach was naive. He took NK on their word that they wouldn't pursue a nuclear program under the Agreed Framework, but they did, much to everyone's shock and dismay when it became known. It was at that point that we learned how little we can trust any agreement with the North.

Even so, it was proper protocol to exhaust the diplomatic channels first so that the world could see that it was useless. I gather that we agree on this. The issue now is how to proceed now that we know for certain that NK is bent on developing nukes that could threaten the whole planet. They hate the **** out of Japan, South Korea, the US and any UN member who sides with them. Should we sit on our hands and wait until they've got the nuclear capability to hold half the world's countries hostage? I think you and I agree that such would not be the wise course of action for any of the countries involved. Except NK, that is.

We agree on both points.

I'm not trying to divert this thread to a discussion of Iran's nuclear threat, but I think the diplomatic and strategic disaster of North Korea fairly screams at the Obama administration that it is making a colossal mistake in following the same track with Iran.

Now that North Korea has nukes the military option, which was never palatable, has become toxic. Unless the US and South Korea are capable of lightning fast and totally comprehensive strikes, North Korea will use its nukes in retaliation. A pre-emptive nuclear strike by the US might work, but is not going to happen under any circumstance.

So all that is left is to tighten sanctions and increase subversive activity within the country's borders. Neither of these approaches has proven successful in the past, and even if the US comes to the realization that it must up the ante in both phases of the game, China is quite capable of thwarting both.

Negotiations with China are key, but the question is what do we have to offer them in return for their abandoning North Korea?

WikiLeaks released cables suggest that the Chinese are prepared to accept a unified Korea under the control of South Korean leadership, but certainly not without receiving something of value in return.

Are we prepared to abandon Taiwan? Should we be?

Are we prepared to encourage Japan and South Korea to go nuclear?

Korea is something of a tar baby for the US. We have commitments to South Korea that go far beyond the economic value of our relationship, and the value of our historical and cultural connections is virtually non-existent. We are there risking much more than we receive in return, because it is a forward base in Asia and inhibits Chinese hegemony in the region.

How crucial is it to inhibit Chinese hegemony? Are we being held captive to Cold War inertia? Do we abandon Japan if we abandon South Korea? Should we care?

I fully expect that our government will do nothing but continue its kabuki dance with China and the NK regime until it is forced to take action by a North Korean stunt gone too far for the South Koreans to ignore. Whatever transpires thereafter will not be good, and was predictable in the 90s.

The Hobson’s Choice presented by North Korea is nothing compared to what we’ll be face with if Iran is allowed to obtain nukes.

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Listen to these two bob on each other's privates.

Quote:
So all that is left is to tighten sanctions and increase subversive activity within the country's borders.

Nah, there's no good reason for NK not to trust the US as far as they could throw the whole damn country.

Quote:
How crucial is it to inhibit Chinese hegemony?

Says the defender of those who have used, for coming up on two centuries now, the Monroe Doctrine to make Latin & South American countries their own little resource pots. Now if all this had been done in a free enterprise manner that would be one thing, but it's all been done by installing brutal dictators, after overthrowing democratic governments, basically stealing the resources and brutalizing the civilian population.

Has there ever, ever in the history of the world been hypocrisy at this level, not to mention terrorism and war crimes at this level?

0 Replies

Brand WTF

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:45 pm
Quote:
Has there ever, ever in the history of the world been hypocrisy at this level, not to mention terrorism and war crimes at this level?

Only since the dawn of man.

Nothing has changed much except the methods and tools used.

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 02:59 pm
Quote:
Alternative to Futile Negotiations with N.K.
by Bruce W. Bennett

This commentary appeared in The Korea Herald on November 23, 2010.

Years of negotiating with North Korea have failed to eliminate its nuclear capability. Despite seven years of six-party talks with regional countries and the U.S., North Korea claims to have expanded its nuclear weapons and improved them, tested two nuclear weapons, helped Syria develop a nuclear reactor, and likely sold nuclear assistance to Iran, Libya, and Myanmar. Recent reports suggest North Korea is now beefing up its ability to enrich uranium. Clearly, it's time for a new strategy, one that North Korea has been loathe to discuss: hasten Korean unification under South Korea's leadership.

North Korea is stumbling toward collapse even as it states publicly that it is "absolutely impossible to even think about giving up nuclear weapons." Indeed, the regime uses its nuclear might to convince elite citizens of its power as one of only nine countries to possess a nuclear arsenal. And that arsenal does deter war.

But North Korea is so abjectly poor that people starve to death daily and even elite citizens appear to be suffering. They lost much of their savings in last year's currency revaluation. "Dear Leader" Kim Jong-il is in failing health and scrambling his youngest son into leadership position before he is widely accepted. The protective layer of family and friends around him demonstrates that the regime knows an impending succession is risky.

All this suggests that North Korea's collapse may be inevitable. Preparation for unification may be the best antidote for dealing with an intractable regime brandishing nuclear bombs. If the U.S. used military force it would be blamed for starting a war whose costs in blood and money would be borne mainly by South Korea. Without knowing the locations of all North Korea's concealed weapons, an attack might destroy only part of its nuclear arsenal, forcing the North into "use them or lose them" attacks. Alternatively, the U.S. and South Korea could amend their goal and freeze, rather than eliminate, North Korea's nuclear program. But this option would leave the country with its existing weapons and all the risks that entails.

Therefore, reunification is the best option, though neighboring countries are understandably reluctant to seek North Korea's collapse. China and South Korea fear they would be flooded by thousands of refugees. Seoul would have to shoulder the enormous expense of stabilizing and developing North Korea. China uses North Korea as a buffer between its northern border and a U.S. ally. Given the size of North Korea's army, the regime's collapse, prompted or not, could easily lead to protracted conflict on the peninsula.

So a reunification strategy would need two main thrusts. First, South Korea and the United States would need to prepare for a potentially massive, possibly violent stabilization effort, as well as a humanitarian relief operation. China would react to any instability in North Korea, especially if South Korean and U.S. forces move into North Korea's territory. There must be an effort to coordinate South Korean and U.S. plans with the Chinese.

The second thrust would prepare North Koreans for unification by replacing their fear with hope. Kim Jong-il has long depicted the United States and South Korea as enemies of the North Korean people, responsible for every problem. He reportedly uses films of elites in East Germany, reduced to poverty after unification there, to scare his elites into dreading their own future under reunification. South Korea must make clear that it will treat North Korean elites well.

South Korea also needs a plan for the North Korean population in general. Rather than release the million-man North Korean Army into joblessness and insurgency, South Korea might create a body like the U.S. Civilian Conservation Corps until North Korean jobs develop. This cohort could work on infrastructure repairs in the North, such as ensuring reliable electrical power and roads.

The North Korean regime will probably try to convince the regional states that it will negotiate nuclear dismantlement if only to avoid this alternative. The United States should give North Korea a deadline to complete a nuclear dismantlement plan, such as December 2011. If that deadline goes unmet, the U.S. could shift negotiations toward freezing North Korean nuclear weapons and begin to implement the only long-term strategy that could eventually strip the country of its nuclear arsenal: South Korea-led unification.

Bruce Bennett is a senior defense analyst at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis.

source

A
R
T
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 04:23 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Indeed, the regime uses its nuclear might to convince elite citizens of its power as one of only nine countries to possess a nuclear arsenal. And that arsenal does deter war.

Precisely what NK figures on and rightfully so.They know that both the world and the UN doesn't have the capability or the stomach [it affects business] to prevent a marauding US.

Quote:
North Korea claims to have expanded its nuclear weapons and improved them, tested two nuclear weapons, helped Syria develop a nuclear reactor, and likely sold nuclear assistance to Iran, Libya, and Myanmar

Did NK move people off their ancestral lands and then contaminate those same lands with their tests?

What does this sentence, one might ask that of the whole article, add except propaganda. Take out the US boogeymen and put in US allies and you have the same idea.

Quote:
South Korea must make clear that it will treat North Korean elites well.

The rest of the NK population, well, somewhere between how we treated Vietnamese villagers and Nicaraguan peasants.

Opening in NK theaters soon, After reunification, expect us to act differently than they did in Germany because we have as our partner that bastion of good will towards man, [drum roll] the USA!

Bruce Bennett is a senior defense analyst at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit institution [a likely story] that helps disseminate propaganda for the US government.
failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:02 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Bruce Bennett is a senior defense analyst at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit institution [a likely story] that helps disseminate propaganda for the US government.

Daniel Ellsburg works for the RAND Corporation. Thoughts? Perhaps double thoughts?

A
R
T
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:13 pm
@failures art,
Learned the art of deception from Finn, Art?

What are 'double thoughts'?
failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
What are 'double thoughts'?

It's like double talk JTT. It's where you insert your praise for an individual and then unknowingly attack their own credibility.

So Ellsburg is a part of US propaganda? Curious.

A
R
The difference is irony.
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:17 pm
@failures art,
We'd have to read what Ellsberg writes to determine that, Art. But you understand that already, do you not?

And you understand sarcasm too, I suspect.

The more important issues raised were,

Did NK move people off their ancestral lands and then contaminate those same lands with their tests?

What does this sentence, one might ask that of the whole article, add except propaganda. Take out the US boogeymen and put in US allies and you have the same idea.

failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:29 pm
@JTT,
I think that your meter on propaganda aligns with whether you agree with the message or not. I doubt you can curb your bias to see anything but your narrative on any matter where the US is involved fully or tangentially.

So if Ellsburg can work for a corporation you say promotes propaganda and produces commentary on topics like WikiLeaks that you approve of, then any source can do the same. If you continue your line of dismissing anything you disagree with as being simply propaganda, you loose all of your credibility. Unless you believe yourself to be special in some way. How are you special?

A
R
T
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:58 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
So if Ellsburg can work for a corporation you say promotes propaganda ...

That was just an extra dig, Art, a sarcastic remark.

Quote:
So if Ellsburg can work for a corporation you say promotes propaganda and produces commentary on topics like WikiLeaks that you approve of, then any source can do the same.

That's a non-issue as I've explained. The fellow in the OA you posted was simply just spouting the usual US line. You see, it isn't up to the US to decide how other countries need to perform as citizens of the world, unless you believe that might makes right.

The US, and those of the US, sit in a position of rank hypocrisy. The constant dribble of information about how poorly the people of other countries are being treated, how many are starving, how many are being tortured or murdered can only be described as propaganda, because its sole aim is to have others take their eye off the real ball.

And we both know what that real ball is.

I just read recently a remark that said that 86% of Americans will studiously avoid frank discussion of their country's misdeeds.

You still haven't addressed;

because you have that deep deep aversion to discussing, except in the most trivial of manner, anything that speaks to the issue of US criminal behavior.

Finn, or whoever, speaks of China's hegemony in "their sphere" and you sit silent. This is just one example of the constant, taken for granted pieces of propaganda that flow incessantly on these pages and on pretty much any page you come across.

These talk of doing things the American way as if the American way is the way of an Almighty Being, or as if America is the messenger for that same being.

And you know, you could almost forgive the US for the odd "mistake", as apologists like to term these, if this wasn't all just a monumental charade.