North Korea: What to do?

Ionus

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:34 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You not only show yourself to be ignorant of the history of WWII
Lets talk history shall we ? Something you have demonstrated a very limited knowledge of....
Quote:
high officials in the war effort
Who knew of the atomic bomb and made no appeal to stop it at any stage. AFTER the fact, they employed duck and cover. Never underestimate the political savy of a general.
Ionus

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 07:40 pm
@tenderfoot,
Quote:
Hiroshima experienced the most brutal attack in history which resulted in the death toll of 140000 .
MOST BRUTAL ATTACK IN HISTORY - Very Happy what a drama queen. We wouldnt want you to overstate your case.

Quote:
inocent men woman and children
Innocent ? Define innocent ? Do you mean like the civilians killed at Pearl Harbour ? Or the Australian women and children captured by the Japanese ? Or the POW's ? Or the Thai people rounded up and massacred for feeling sorry for them and giving the POW's food ? How many more "innocents" would have been killed in invading Japan ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:06 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:

Water brain... so this is what you consider " a good idea "............In 1945.. Hiroshima experienced the most brutal attack in history which resulted in the death toll of 140000 inocent men woman and children .
BOTH nuclear attacks were very fine ideas, indeed. Thay saved many American lives.

THAT's what counts. That 's all that counts.

Incidentally, the Jap rape of Nanking (the capital of China) in 1937
was a lot more "brutal".

David
FBM

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:17 pm
This thread needs a little levity. http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-privately-doubting-hes-crazy-enough-to,18374/

Quote:
Kim Jong-Un Privately Doubting He's Crazy Enough To Run North Korea

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA—In surprisingly candid remarks Thursday, Kim Jong-un, heir apparent to North Korea's highest government post, expressed doubt that he was sufficiently out of his mind to succeed his father, longtime dictator Kim Jong-il.

While emphasizing that he was definitely completely insane and would likely be even less stable by the time he assumed power, the younger Kim nevertheless wondered if he could ever be enough of a lunatic to replace the most unhinged leader on the planet.
"Obviously, I know I was handpicked because I'm super crazy," said Kim, the youngest of the 69-year-old dictator's four known children. "But my father's just so great at what he does. Did you know the people of North Korea have heard his voice exactly once, for like five seconds? How nuts is that? Honestly, I look at stuff like that and I think, 'Wow, there's just no way I can ever top Dad.'"
"We're talking about a world-class nutjob here," he added.
Kim told reporters that since emerging as the presumptive next-in-line to lead North Korea, he had spent countless hours trying to come up with his own brand of craziness that would honor the tradition set forth by his father and grandfather, Kim Il-sung, but would also set him apart. After discovering that many of his best ideas had already been taken by his father—including making citizens bow toward wall-sized portraits of himself or claiming to be a demigod whose moods directly influence the weather—Kim admitted he had grown frustrated.
"At this point, I'm not sure what's left for me to do, really," he said. "I mean, according to the Ministry of Information, Dad hit 11 holes-in-one the first time he ever played golf. I'm dead serious. Dad had never even picked up a golf club before, and he hit 38 under par. Where am I supposed to go from there? I guess I can say I ran a marathon in 20 minutes, but isn't that pretty much the same thing?"
"It is the same thing, isn't it?" Kim added. "Ugh."
Kim, who in his rare public appearances wears a plain dark suit, said he ultimately hoped to cultivate an eccentric, yet vaguely sinister look as iconic as his father's pompadour, drab parka, and sunglasses, perhaps something "even nuttier" involving canes, a large yellow raincoat, or possibly a motorized scooter.
Other ideas Kim has had for proving his insanity include placing anyone shorter than himself under permanent house arrest, issuing a new national currency every 90 days, normalizing relations with South Korea, and replacing all medicines with synthetic replications of his own saliva.

"Of course, I have to be careful not to come off as too crazy, because then it would just feel forced and no one would buy it," said Kim, noting that he was working on some slogans that North Korean schoolchildren would be forced to chant three times daily. "Then again, maybe having it come off as forced would make me seem even crazier, because what kind of a maniac would go to such lengths to outdo his father? Right? Or is that just a cop-out?"
Although Kim's birthday is already recognized as a national holiday and any criticism of him is punishable by indefinite sentences in re-education camps, Kim suggested that the stress of living up to his father's insanity had been taking a toll.
"I can't even enjoy the things I used to love, like forcing starving people to perform a five-hour dance routine in my honor, because I spend the whole time obsessing over whether I'm being wacko enough," Kim admitted. "That's what's so special about Dad, you know: He never worries about all that stuff, he just acts like himself. What can I say? The old man set the loony bar pretty high."
When asked if he planned to consult the elder Kim for advice, the future leader said that while his father would almost certainly have valuable insights, the man was far too crazy for even a lunatic like himself to speak to.
"But I've got to prove myself to him somehow," Kim said. "He'll kill me if I don't."
Ionus

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
But they dont want to get hysterical about THAT crime, Dave...they are very selective.....
JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:57 pm
@Ionus,
And here you are deep throating Dave while he's telling you that only the lives of Americans matter. You might well have had a career as an Aussie politician if you had been more than a dumb grunt.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 09:01 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Never underestimate the political savy[sic] of a general.

Or the ravings of a lunatic buck private trying to convince himself that he didn't take part in war crimes.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 09:10 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Didnt you say he was a war criminal ? But now he is right ?

There's a fine bit of anal logic for you. It's certainly conceivable that war criminals can be right about certain things.

Hell, even you spell the occasional word right.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
For some more detailed background on the North's development of nuclear technology (Cheong Wa Dae = Blue House, like the US's White House): http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/12/11/2010121100268.html

Quote:
How Sunshine Policy Fueled N.Korea's Nuclear Development

North Korea's nuclear and missile capabilities grew substantially under the Sunshine Policy during the Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun administrations, and the North now reportedly has about a dozen nuclear weapons. Pyongyang is also operating hundreds or even thousands of uranium enrichment centrifuges, whose existence South Korean leftwingers denied.

"As a result of the former administrations' deliberate disregard under a decade of the Sunshine Policy, the crisis is now coming to a head," a Cheong Wa Dae staffer said Monday.

◆ No Halt to Nuclear Development

North Korea's nuclear development program was no threat in February 1998 when the Kim Dae-jung government was inaugurated. No nuclear test had taken place, nor was there a uranium enrichment program. The 1994 Geneva Framework Agreement, whereby the North agreed to freeze its nuclear facilities if it was given light-water reactors, seemed to be working. But now North Korea has "about 10" nuclear bombs, according to a Unification Ministry estimate.

The North long denied its uranium enrichment program. Suspicions were first raised in October 2002 by then U.S. Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly. The South Korean leftwingers, taking sides with the North, said the program was invented by the neocons in the U.S. to ratchet up tensions and block reconciliation in Northeast Asia. In February 2007, then Unification Minister Lee Jae-joung said there was "no intelligence" that the North has a uranium enrichment program.

But in early October this year, the North showed U.S. nuclear expert Siegfried Hecker a facility with hundreds of centrifuges for uranium enrichment. Uranium nuclear weapons can be developed covertly and do not require testing like plutonium-based weapons. "They are more dangerous than nuclear weapons made from plutonium extracted from reactors," said Cheon Seong-whun of the Korea Institute for National Unification. A uranium enrichment facility with 1,000 centrifuges requires a mere 900 sq. m area and can enrich 20 kg of uranium a year, sufficient to make one nuclear weapon.

North Korea started building enrichment facilities in the early 2000s, said a senior North Korean military scientist who defected to the South in 2000. That was when the first inter-Korean summit was in preparation. The joint statement agreed in the first summit did not mention the nuclear program at all, and the second summit communiqué only said "joint efforts" should be made to resolve the nuclear issue."

◆ Missile Development

When Kim Jong-un officially emerged as heir to Kim Jong-il on Oct. 10 in a military parade on the anniversary of the Workers Party, an intermediate-range ballistic missile was shown to the international press for the first time. Dubbed "Musudan" by the U.S. intelligence services, it has a range of 3,000 to 4,000 km, making it capable of reaching the strategic U.S. military base in Guam.

North Korea has simultaneously boosted nuclear and missile capabilities in the past decade, because "it can threaten the U.S. as well as the South only if it can load nuclear warheads on missiles," said Baek Seung-joo of the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses. The so-called Taepodong 1 missile the North test-fired in August 1998 flew some 1,600 km. The firing came four days prior to the opening of the 20th session of the Supreme People's Assembly, which marked the launch of the Kim Jong-il regime.

The Taepodong 2 missile, fired in July 2006, failed, but a long-range missile launched in April 2009 flew 3,200-odd km. The North is now bent on developing missiles with a range of 6,700 km, capable of attacking Alaska and Guam. It has over 600 Scud missiles with a range of 300 to 500 km and 200-plus Rodong missiles with a range of 1,300 km.
[email protected] / Dec. 11, 2010 08:33 KST
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:40 pm
@Ionus,

David wrote:
Ionus wrote:
But they dont want to get hysterical about THAT crime, Dave...they are very selective.....
Thay believe in DISCRIMINATION !
JTT

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
"Thay believe in DISCRIMINATION !" says Om as he nods off to sleep in his EasyBoy, a new line of drool washing the day's accumulation of spittle from his chin onto his "hand woven by some poor child laborer in a foreign sweatshop" sweater.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:23 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
THE DECISION TO USE THE ATOMIC BOMB WAS A GOOD ONE.
CERTAINLY. Its sad that it took us that long to develop it.
We coud have had some fun with it, sooner.

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:40 am
@tenderfoot,
tenderbrain, 140K is far less than the numbers of dead on both sides if we were forced to invade their mainland.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:43 am
@JTT,
JJ, it is you that repeatedly shows your ignorance on innumerable topics.

I don't know who's Kool-Aid you are drinking, but I do know it's tainted.
JTT

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:23 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
In official internal military interviews, diaries and other private as well as public materials, literally every top U.S. military leader involved subsequently stated that the use of the bomb was not dictated by military necessity.

[see article on the previous page]
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
tenderbrain, 140K is far less than the numbers of dead on both sides
if we were forced to invade their mainland.
For sure; plus thay promised to murder all of the POWs. (Thay 'd have starved anyway.)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:17 pm
@JTT,

Just look at how long the Japanese soldiers on some pacific islands kept fighting until their death long after the war was over and imagine how terrible and drawn out the fight would have been if we were forced to invade... yes JJ, the use of both A bombs was dictated by military necessity.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Just look at how long the Japanese soldiers on some pacific islands kept fighting until their death long after the war was over and imagine how terrible and drawn out the fight would have been if we were forced to invade... yes JJ, the use of both A bombs was dictated by military necessity.
There was never any reason AGAINST using them.
What else were thay good for ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:32 pm

ADMITTEDLY, we coud have nuked the communists in Russia,
in the later 1940s. Let Comrade Stalin go out with a bang.

THAT woud have been fun.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:38 pm

The trouble with the 1940s, after 1945,
is that we did not NUKE the commies.

We coud have tried out our nice new H Bom (fusion bom).

David
0 Replies