FBM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 01:09 am
@ossobuco,
Here's a little insight into what goes on inter-Korean-wise:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2010/12/113_77706.html

Quote:
S. Korean products from Gaeseong sold in N. Korea

By Kim Se-jeong

Products made in the Gaeseong Joint Industrial Complex have been circulated in clandestine local markets in North Korea, and are highly popular, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported Wednesday.

In its report earlier this week, it said products have a fake tag of “Made in North Korea,” yet people can easily discern them as coming from the zone because of the quality of the products.

The Gaeseong complex is home to more than 120 South Korean factories, which employ some 44,000 North Koreans. Quoting a person involved in the clandestine commerce, the RFA said the business is so lucrative that people involved skip going to work.

“I bribe my boss so that I don’t have to show up at work in the morning. Then, with my wife, I get products sneaked out from the Gaeseong zone and sell them,” the interviewee known only as Hwang told the RFA.

Hwang also said families of employees at the Gaeseong complex are usually far better off because of it.

Theoretically, a market where a wide range of items are exchanged based on supply and demand ― a symbol of capitalism ― is nonexistent in North Korea. However, with a deteriorating domestic economic situation, secret markets have sprung up.

One diplomat from Europe said Tongil Market in Pyongyang even allows outsiders to visit.

RFA also quoted a South Korean businessman who once had a factory in Gaeseong, saying that it was surprising. “I had to face the reality that at least 10 percent of the products were somehow lost at all times.”

Ionus

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:28 am
@JTT,
Dear JoinTalibanTerrorism,

Glad to see that someone who wallows in the misery of others likes a laugh. I know you have given us hours of stunned disbelief at your stupidity. If you werent so sick, you would be funny.

Keep taking the medication
Sincerely
Ionus
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:35 am
@FBM,
I dont know what to think of that to be honest. Will a little capitalism prop up a failing regime or breed a middle class that will topple the dictatorship ?
FBM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:55 am
@Ionus,
Not sure the same thing is on everyone's mind. The businesspeople are probably thinking 'cheap labor', the NK side thinking 'high salaries' and 'negotiation leverage', and the SK politicians may be thinking of how their factories can spread the word that the South is actually a helluva lot more prosperous and free than the North, which may help undermine the North's propaganda. Dunno. I'm hoping for the last one. If there's going to be political progress, there's got to be some sort of venue.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 04:56 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Ah. Sorry, we don't have that smiley. "This".
Emphatic agreement about what you said about putting JTT on Ignore. Wink
To me, it seems analogous to going to a restaurant whose sommelier brings u a bad bottle of wine.

If u continue to DRINK from it, after u know its contents,
the fault is yours for every mouthful, worse than the vintner.

David
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:43 am
For all the Armchair Warriors who willy nilly say lets bomb this &bomb that.
Happy Xmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-ifqwkM
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:47 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
For all the Armchair Warriors who willy nilly say lets bomb this &bomb that.
Happy Xmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-ifqwkM
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Yankee.

David
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Merry Christmas Dave to you & yours, may it be a happy & peaceful one.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:22 am
Willy-nilly? Uhm...I guess you don't live here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Flight_858
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Chung-hee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangoon_bombing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_border_incidents_involving_North_Korea

etc, etc, etc...
Ionus

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:38 am
@eurocelticyankee,
You live in Ireland, is that correct ? They have certainly had their share of willy nilly bombings. I hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
@FBM,
I've no problem with measured retaliation against the lunatic asylum that is Nth Korea, but talk of pre-emptive nuclear strikes pisses me off.
Also gung ho, lets go all out war, crap from the armchair generals.
FBM

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:49 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Yeah, I'm guilty of the armchair general bit, but I'm not down with either the nuclear part or the gung-ho part. War should always be an absolute last resort.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:53 am
@FBM,
Hear Hear, sir.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:52 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
I've no problem with measured retaliation against the lunatic asylum that is Nth Korea,
but talk of pre-emptive nuclear strikes pisses me off.
Also gung ho, lets go all out war, crap from the armchair generals.
If u see someone beating a dog in the street,
or a mugging (assault & robbery), then TECHNICALLY, u have no duty to intervene.

In this case (commie Korea) we see millions of hapless people
condemned to worship Kim & his dad, languishing in slavery and terror, on the verge of starvation.
I guess that TECHNICALLY we have no duty to save them.
We can watch, gloat, n be glad for how much better off we r.

In the meantime, the regime is building nukes and a delivery system for use against us.
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:54 pm
@FBM,
You've gotta be American, FBM.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 02:55 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Yeah, I'm guilty of the armchair general bit, but I'm not down with either the nuclear part or the gung-ho part.

War should always be an absolute last resort.
I wonder how the slaves of communism woud feel about that ?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave, Change can only come from within.
Sending a foreign army into a country to "liberate" it's people just does not work.
I admire your sympathy for the people of Nth Korea but this flies in the face of you also wanting to nuke them and unleash a bloodbath on them.
If Nth Korea pushes it too far and the South feel they have to retaliate, fair enough, but there's a change of leadership coming up soon, I reckon so lets play it by ear, maybe it will come to war or maybe the Nth Koreans themselves will seize the moment.
Either way a pre-emptive nuclear strike or gung-ho attack is in nobody's interest at the moment, least of all the hapless people of Nth Korea.
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I wonder how the slaves of communism woud feel about that ?

I wonder how many Americans feel about that. I wonder how many Americans know that there were three million North Koreans butchered by "a fresh from his Japan atrocities", Curtis LeMay.

I wonder how many Americans know that,

Quote:
The recent revelations of war crimes committed in Vietnam by former US Senator, Bob Kerry is illustrative of the US strategy in Vietnam.

Kerry commanded an U.S. Navy special forces SEAL unit, that was sent to assassinate a South Vietnamese peasant leader near the village Tranh Phong, a small hamlet in the Mekong Delta. As they left the village the next day the SEAL unit gathered between 13-20 villagers, mostly children and their mothers, and shot them execution style or slit their throats, according to the corroborated evidence. The soldiers murdered these civilians because they feared that they would report the sighting of the unit.

"Standard operating procedure was to dispose of the people we made contact with," Kerry has stated in self-justification. It was a policy and strategy of the High Command not simply errant behavior by troops in the field.

While the crimes committed by the US in Vietnam are widely recognized because they became the target of a worldwide movement of opposition, anti-war voices were muted in the US during the Korean War.

I wonder how many Americans know that this has been standard operating policy of the USA since the days when the Philippines was first vanquished.

Quote:
"I want no prisoners. I wish you to kill and burn, the more you kill and burn the better it will please me. I want all persons killed who are capable of bearing arms in actual hostilities against the United States.” General Jacob H. Smith said.

Since it was a popular belief among the Americans serving in the Philippines that native males were born with bolos in their hands, Major Littleton "Tony" Waller asked "I would like to know the limit of age to respect, sir?."
"Ten years," General Jacob H. Smith said.
"Persons of ten years and older are those designated as being capable of bearing arms?" "Yes." General Jacob H. Smith confirmed his instructions a second time.[8]

I personally strung up thirty-five Filipinos without trial, so what was all the fuss over Waller's "dispatching" a few "treacherous savages"? If there had been more Smiths and Wallers, the war would have been over long ago. Impromptu domestic hanging might also hasten the end of the war. For starters, all Americans who had recently petitioned Congress to sue for peace in the Philippines should be dragged out of their homes and lynched.--Colonel Frederick Funston at a banquet in Chicago. [9]

Major Edwin Glenn did not deny that he made forty-seven prisoners kneel and "repent of their sins" before ordering them bayoneted and clubbed to death.[10]

"Obtain information from natives no matter what measures have to be adopted."--General Adna Chaffee [11]

"It may be necessary to kill half the Filipinos in order that the remaining half of the population may be advanced to a higher plane of life than their present semi-barbarous state affords."--General William Shafter[12]

"One-sixth of the natives of Luzon have either been killed or have died of the dengue fever in the last few years. The loss of life by killing alone has been very great, but I think not one man has been slain except where his death has served the legitimate purposes of war. It has been necessary to adopt what in other countries would probably be thought harsh measures."--General James Bell, May 3, 1901, New York Times explaining why one-sixth of the population of Luzon had died in the previous two years of the Philippine insurrection.[13]

"I suppose that this dengue fever and the sickness which depopulated Batangas is the direct result of the war, and comes from the condition of starvation and bad food which the war has caused." --Senator George Hoar[14]

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Philippine-American_War

No, Cycloptichorn, the USA isn't the worst nation in the world. But clearly they are in the race.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
Dave, Change can only come from within.
Sending a foreign army into a country to "liberate" it's people just does not work.
I wonder whether the Jews in Hitler's camps agreed with that, and sent our troops away.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
I admire your sympathy for the people of Nth Korea
Thanx for your admiration.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
but this flies in the face of you also wanting to nuke them and unleash a bloodbath on them.
Ideally, aim for the commie masters, not for their slaves.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
If Nth Korea pushes it too far and the South feel they have to retaliate, fair enough,
but there's a change of leadership coming up soon,
I reckon so lets play it by ear, maybe it will come to war
or maybe the Nth Koreans themselves will seize the moment.
Either way a pre-emptive nuclear strike or gung-ho attack is in
nobody's interest at the moment, least of all the hapless people of Nth Korea.
If I were in their position, I 'd want my freedom ASAP.

David
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:18 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
War should always be an absolute last resort.

That's not what your postings have suggested, FBM. You have talked of how quickly it would be over with little to no thought of the immense pain and suffering that the people of Korea, especially North Korea, would go through.

You have constantly ignored the fact that the cause of much of this whole problem has been the USA. Has Russia got bases in NK? Has China? Troops? If so, what numbers?