DO YOU THINK THIS WOMAN DESERVED A PAT DOWN?

Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:39 am
@spendius,
Sorry, Spendi, as you told us you are not currently flying and will probably not in the times to come, you are not qualified to have a reasonable opinion on these matters..

Just talking about lax security makes me feel uneasy about the soundness (or lack thereof) of your statements...
DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
The primary purpose of airport security is to make people feel safe.

And the TSA is there for the benefit of the TSA.

Actually safety is a distant concern.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:56 am
I'd really like to see who is getting rich off of all this new bullshit. I do know the Chertoff had very close business ties with the company who creates all these new machines, and he was instrumental in getting them put in place.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:03 am
@Francis,
Whether or not I fly has no bearing on what I've said. The upshot of Cal's post was to relax security. I only pointed out what is obvious. That her being aggravated means very little to those who carry the can if anything goes wrong and a great deal to them.

I hope you are aware that you habitual flyers are costing us non-flyers a great deal of money and are helping to perfect systems of control which could easily be used for other purposes.

I would bring in permits to fly. Only necessary journeys in military aircraft would be allowed. Possibly you think the statement that 9/11 changed the world is just an easy phrase. It isn't. It did change the world.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I do know the Chertoff had very close business ties with the company who creates all these new machines, and he was instrumental in getting them put in place.

Are you suggesting that all this trouble is to enable Mr Chertoff to get rich?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:15 am
http://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/files/2010/11/mike11182010.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:22 am
Spendi wrote:
I would bring in permits to fly.

I know you are very favorable to the bureaucratic control of the masses...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:36 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
On a somewhat related topic about protecting our rights and privacy, our telephone company has called for my husband twice. Both times he wasn't home and I told them I was his wife asked them what they wanted. Both times they told me they couldn't tell me and could only speak to him. Nuts. They couldn't even tell me that?

is the line in his name?

if so, big lawsuit/settlement in Ontario caused that

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:01 pm
@chai2,
Not sure if you know - they have changed the pat downs from using the back of the hand to the front and feeling around your breasts (well your hubby probably doesn't mind) and reaching and feeling your butt/vagina/penis and balls and crap like that. They are more invasive now. Not sure if they are all doing this - but TSA is instructed to do so.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:02 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
I know you are very favorable to the bureaucratic control of the masses...

I certainly am Francois. I can't see how it is possible to deliver our lifestyles without it. Can you?
Francis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:05 pm
@spendius,
I certainly can. But it's maybe just because my imagination is boundless...
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:06 pm
i figure with the cost of airline travel, a reach around is the least they could give you
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, it's in his name. I wanted to know because if it was a problem with a payment, that would have been my fault. The other reason I wanted to know is they often phone to sell you services and I take care of those calls (otherwise, he'd be buying everything!).

Did that lawsuit involve a married couple and both their cell phone bills being sent to the husband? Because I think I heard about that. She was calling her boyfriend?
Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm
@DrewDad,
That's the problem - instead of using good old common sense and hiring people who understand where the real potential threats could be - we train people to follow ABC procedures. And then when some one asks a logical questions, these "protectors" look befuddled. They are not taught to think and are only taught to follow a procedure.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:12 pm
@Sglass,
Jeepers who would have thought - common sense in Florida.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:13 pm
@Mame,
yeah, that was the one

watching her being interviewed on tv (from behind to protect her identity), i'm like, ah, poor baby, got caught cheating, suck it up
Mame

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:14 pm
@djjd62,
What was the upshot, besides a divorce?
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@Mame,
have to check it out, she was suing, i know that
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:17 pm
@aidan,
I know Logan Boston it is happening. Not sure if all airports have this body scanner. The last time I flew in the summer - I was not selected to go in the body scanner. This is when they first came out and they selected people "randomly." The TSA agent said my last name and the way I looked made me seem as not a threat. I also noticed leaving Dallas (so I assume Dallas has them) - they selected someone - someone if I would to choose, I would have selected as well. So I guess it is not all random.

I think they have gotten more and more of these scanners out - and changed the pat down to more instrusive searches - thus all the up roar. Not sure if they are all randomly selecting people or everyone has to go through - I will find out next month though.
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 12:18 pm
@Mame,
here's the main story
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100517/affair-sues-rogers-100517/20100517/?hub=TorontoNewHome

looking for the outcome