DO YOU THINK THIS WOMAN DESERVED A PAT DOWN?

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:41 pm
@McGentrix,
Finally, something on which McGentrix and I agree.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:43 pm
@Mame,
Honestly not so sure how prevalent it has become - I've just heard very recently how much aggressive the TSA has been. I believe it is a result of the cargo being found recently. Not sure what that has to do with passengers - that is what is getting everyone up in arms. They are aggressively searching the passengers, but still let cargo go unchecked.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:48 pm
@Linkat,
Another thing they allow is for checked baggage to remain on the plane if a passenger disembarks. (Passenger and baggage must be on the same plane when the flight originates, but if a passenger fails to make a connection, or exits the plane and fails to re-board during a layover, their baggage is not removed.)
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:48 pm
Gee, I am going for a surgery wherein a pacemaker type devise will be implanted in my hip, and of course I will not be going through the xray machine. Wonder if that sets me up for an automatic pat down.

Anyone sticks their hand between my legs I will PEE on them.
Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:49 pm
I guess I'll opt for the full body scan and take my chances with the radiation. Pistole isn't backing down. He's still saying if you don't like the rules, find another way to get there. He's got a tough job.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:50 pm
@Sglass,
Yes, if you refuse the full-body imaging, you automatically get a groping.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:51 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

yeah and someone at TSA got a cheap thrill for patting down a lady's boobs.

Only if the TSA agents were lesbians. Do you have any evidence that they were?
Sglass

@kuvasz,
Thank you Kuvasz!
0 Replies

DrewDad

@Irishk,
Everything that I've heard says the radiation is negligible. Equivalent to less than two minutes exposure in-flight.

(At least for those getting the scan; I don't know about those administering the scan.)
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:52 pm
Caveat emptor.

If searches on planes stop the terrorists they will go for trains, Spain and London, or buses, London, or the streets, New York. The objective, it seems to me, is to load extra burdens of inefficiency on our economic system just as Mr Raegan did to the Soviets with arms escalation. That was costly to us as well though. With suicide bombers it is cheap.

We are stuck with it.
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:53 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:
well that lady is a journalist, maybe she did pick her battle intentionally.

That brings us back to what Beth said, doesn't it? If you pick a battle intentionally, you don't get to complain about finding yourself in a battle.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:54 pm
@DrewDad,
Yep, that's my understanding, as well. Not too worried.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:56 pm
@Irishk,
Well that is what I plan on doing as I have already committed to my workplace for next month. I think I will do a sexy pose as the camera flashes - just for kicks.

I am more worried about my kids going forward. I am not certain on what sort of problem this could cause for a growing body. Granted there are always the panic type where the sky is falling - but I've heard there can be issues with children that are young. I mean they won't even take an Xray of your teeth when you are pregnant.
Mame

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:56 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Sglass wrote:

yeah and someone at TSA got a cheap thrill for patting down a lady's boobs.

Only if the TSA agents were lesbians. Do you have any evidence that they were?

I can't see anyone getting a thrill out of this. Quite possibly most of the agents don't like it either. I would find it disgusting to have to do that and would find other work, myself.
Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:58 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
I guess I'll opt for the full body scan and take my chances with the radiation.

That depends on whether the radiation is X-rays or millimeter waves. Millimeter waves are harmless, because they can't ionize molecules and aren't intense enough to heat you up.
spendius

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:00 pm
@Mame,
So would I. Airports were bad enough places to work before this.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:01 pm
@Linkat,
I'd worry more about the kids, too. My sister wouldn't let her pediodontist xray my young nephew but once a year (he tried to do it every six months). She said no way Jose. Don't know if she was being alarmist or not, but I could see her having a problem with full body scans if her child had to fly often. This is such a messed up ball of wax! Ugh!
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The objective, it seems to me, is to load extra burdens of inefficiency on our economic system...

Sabotage is a strategy that has been proven to be effective, and that is what you are describing here. I don't think the criminals known as terrorists are that well organized, however.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yeah you can't profile, but you feel some up and down .... funny how sexual assault is ok, but profiling is a no, no.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:03 pm
good god
why do some automatically put their mind in the gutter because of this search?

This isn't sexual groping, or getting a thrill from patting down a womans breasts or putting their hands between a man or womans legs during a pat down.

I don't consider this an invasion of my privacy. Go ahead and pat down around my rear, my chest, inside of my legs.

It's just part of their frickin' job.

I swear, complaining to the person who has to do the search is no different than the fool in the grocery store that complains to the cashier about there not being enough lines open, that things are taking too long. What the hell is the cashier supposed to do about it.
Just let the guy or gal do their pat down. Bitching to him or her about it is just making them sign inwardly and think "this is the 50th person today that's told me this."

Next thing you know someone will be complaining they were groped while having a mamogram.
0 Replies