Okie knows farming

okie

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 07:08 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Don't you think you should apologize okie?
I apologize for being off a whole year. You claimed you were 9 and 10 years old instead of 8 and 10. I confess I have committed an unforgiveable sin here by wrongly remembering parados's claimed ages of him and his brother as 8 and 10 instead of 9 and 10. That obviously changes the entire meaning of his claim, as everyone knows when you turn 9, you are then capable of running all of that equipment.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:01 pm
@okie,
parados wrote:
My older brother and I were baling hay when we were 9 and 10. One driving the tractor and the other stacking bales.
I've been thinking about that claim a bit more, and have a couple of questions, parados. If one of you was driving the tractor pulling the baler and baling hay, as I think you are claiming, I am trying to visualize how the other one of you was stacking bales? Did you pull a sled or trailer behind the baler, so that you could stack the bales on it, or were you stacking the bales in groups in the field, or what? Were those bales smaller bales as I assume they were, such as 50 to 100 lbs.? I guess I am questioning how you did that, perhaps you did it differently or had different types of equipment in South Dakota, but when I grew up in Oklahoma and began to do the work in the late 50's into the 60's, the baler left the bales on the ground wherever they happened to be left by the baler. Then we came along later to load the bales onto a truck or trailer, either doing it by hand, or by also employing a bale loader that hooked onto the side of a truck, which had a small gasoline motor driven conveyor that ran the bales up to the level of the hay stacked on the truck, from which they could be taken off and continue to be stacked.

At the time I put up hay, we did not have the larger square or round bales, and the way I described was pretty much how everybody did it.

So I am trying to visualize a 9 year old driving a tractor baling hay, and a 10 year old stacking them, or vice versa. As farmer touched on some of the problems of baling, any hay baling that I observed was never without problems to fix, such as adjustments to get the baler to tie the bales right, or with hay jamming in the baler, the list goes on.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:09 pm
This thread is a dead horse; time to put the saddle back in the tack room.
okie

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:12 pm
@dyslexia,
Not a dead horse as long as I can hope for more enlightenment about farming from the expert, parados. I was just a country kid, not a farm kid, according to parados, remember?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 09:13 pm
@okie,
urf...

says the dead horse.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 11:31 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Did you pull a sled or trailer behind the baler, so that you could stack the bales on it, or were you stacking the bales in groups in the field, or what? Were those bales smaller bales as I assume they were, such as 50 to 100 lbs.? I guess I am questioning how you did that, perhaps you did it differently or had different types of equipment in South Dakota, but when I grew up in Oklahoma and began to do the work in the late 50's into the 60's, the baler left the bales on the ground wherever they happened to be left by the baler

You didnt have "Kickers" on your balers? EWven if you didnt, it was quite common to attach a flatbed wagon behind a baler and a person would just drag or carry the bales to the back and begin a perfect stack. When the bales got 2 or more rows high youd need extra help to lift and carry the bales. Its common for smaller kids to do this part as a team but driving a tractor and a "live" baler, is still kind of irresponsible for anyone under say, 13 or 14. Even then, if a galer goes down, A kid should keep their hands and arms away from a PTO drive baler (or an ONAN drive like the Amish use)
parados

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:00 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

This thread is a dead horse; time to put the saddle back in the tack room.

Stop jockeying for position.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 10:13 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Even then, if a galer goes down, A kid should keep their hands and arms away from a PTO drive baler (or an ONAN drive like the Amish use)

Adults should too but that never stops them from putting hands in snowblowers or in balers. Sometimes 10 year old kids have more sense than adults.

It's easy to turn off the PTO. It's also easy to stop and wait for help when it stops working. The other trailer would be back in 20 minutes with adults to get it working again.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You didnt have "Kickers" on your balers? EWven if you didnt, it was quite common to attach a flatbed wagon behind a baler and a person would just drag or carry the bales to the back and begin a perfect stack.
Not common to pull a flatbed wagon behind a baler when and where I grew up. In fact, I don't remember anyone doing it. It seems to me it would be a bit too much equipment to efficiently make all the turns to catch the windrows with the baler. Also, if you had to back up a bit, that does not seem at all practical.
parados

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:13 pm
@okie,
Quote:
In fact, I don't remember anyone doing it. It seems to me it would be a bit too much equipment to efficiently make all the turns to catch the windrows with the baler. Also, if you had to back up a bit, that does not seem at all practical.

You just like to provide more evidence of how little you spent in the fields, don't you okie. Laughing
okie

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
You just like to provide more evidence of how little you spent in the fields, don't you okie. Laughing
Frankly what you think makes no difference to me, parados. I know how much time I spent in the fields, and so who cares what you think? I certainly do not. Nor do I care about your supposed farming experience. From what you've said so far, I would not even believe close to half of it. If you started this thread for "one upmanship," you've pretty much flunked out so far.
parados

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 08:34 pm
@okie,
http://www.rollyacres.com/photos/EXTRAS/DSC01437.JPG
JTT

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 09:25 pm
@parados,
What a fuckin' wimp! He only stacks 'em five high? And that lazy sum 'a bitch on the tractor, I ran the tractor wheel from the flat bed trailer and threw the bales up 1o high.
okie

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:13 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

What a fuckin' wimp! He only stacks 'em five high? And that lazy sum 'a bitch on the tractor, I ran the tractor wheel from the flat bed trailer and threw the bales up 1o high.
And let me guess, were you 10 years old when you did that?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:25 pm
@parados,
Hey parados, do you have a photo of you and your brother doing that when you were 9 and 10?
parados

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:15 pm
@okie,
Perhaps you should tell these people they weren't driving tractor at 6, 7 or 10.

http://www.sim-uk.net/forum/index.php?topic=7294.0
There's 14 pages of people talking about driving tractors at young ages.
Quote:
I was test driving a DB 990 for my dad that he wanted to buy when i was 10.

Quote:
First tractor I drove was our old Case 300 when I was 10. We used to use it to haul the hay wagons.

Quote:
My first: Zetor 6718 6yr old. 6 and a hlf when i drove it alone, with trailer

Quote:
A Deutz-Fahr 6.71, when I was 10, preparing the land for sugerbeets

Quote:
i first drove a jd 6400 in a field collecting bales i was 6 or 7 now the 6400 is becomeing a mod

Quote:
The first field i ever completed on my own was disking with a Ford 5000! i must of been 11

Quote:
The first tractor I drove was a Farmall Super C pulling a hay wagon I was 7.

Quote:
Massey Ferguson 3060 my very first time. (when I was 7 or 8 years old, 18 now)

Quote:
IH 1246 comfort 2000 when i was 8 ore so now i,m 30

Quote:
It was a big feild and the tanker was empty by th end of the feild Tongue. I was only 10 then

And this by the person that wrote a pamphlet on the age a child should be to drive tractor
Quote:
Like many people who grew up on a farm, my first real experience operating a tractor was as a little boy at the age of ten....
My father on the other hand, remembers being seven when he was asked to drive an old Allis Chalmers WC attached to a bale lifter.

And then you might want to tell this young lady she's lying
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=37577
Quote:
At 9 years old I could throw a 60lb bale, pick up a 40kg bag of sweet feed, AND look darn cute doing it too

and this
http://www.haytalk.com/forums/f7/net-wrap-2227/index2.html
Quote:
I have run John Deere balers since i was 9 years old. We run 2 balers and try to trade every other year.

Then maybe you should call Buster Olney a liar as well okie.
http://www.staatalent.com/Headlines/10/08/02buster-olney.php
Quote:
Mary Lincoln had two children from a previous marriage, a girl and a boy. The boy, 9 years old in 1973, had a number of chores in the early years on the farm. One was baling hay.

Sorting and stacking the heavy bales in the barn for winter storage, the boy turned it into a game.
parados

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:26 pm
okie

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:57 pm
@parados,
Picking up this thread again, huh, parados? Nobody denies young boys drove tractors. I started out driving a little Ford 8 or 9N. I don't remember the earliest age that I first drove it, but I think I was about 12 when I drove it in earnest, plowing the fields, etc.

I don't think very many 9 or 10 year olds were driving a tractor baling hay. I won't say you didn't do it, but count me a skeptic, parados. My dad certainly would not have allowed me to do it, but we did not have a baler anyway. We had our hay custom baled. As I've told you before, I worked for another farmer that baled his own hay, but he always did it himself and did not even allow my brother and me as teenagers to do it. He always did the baling, simply because it was too dangerous for young boys to be doing. Okies were smart enough to know that. As an aside, he also did almost all of the combining of wheat, and he used us to drive trucks to and from the elevator, or to pull him out with the tractor if needed.

I am also very skeptical about you milking cows twice a day at the age of 7 years old.
okie

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:59 pm
@parados,
If that is an honest example of proving kids can do what you claim, it is frankly stupid, parados. Any parent that puts their 5 year old up to that is not fit to be parent, in my opinion.

How long did you search until you found the video of the 5 year old doing the hay? You are becoming truly ridiculous, parados. In case you haven't figured it out yet, you can find almost anything on the web, probably a dog driving a truck. In fact it only took a half minute to find one.
parados

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:48 pm
@okie,
In case you missed it okie, the dog isn't really driving the vehicle. There's a person driving it.
0 Replies