Okie knows farming

parados

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 09:21 pm
@okie,
Quote:

As I said, I am not accusing you of lying, but I am skeptical or dubious of your claims, and rightfully so I believe

Right okie.. and I'm not accusing you of being a pedophile but if one connects the dots after all you have said you spend time around kids so it is possible you are a pedophile. But I'm not accusing you of being a pedophile. Of course you also have stated you are against government regulation and pedophiles hate that government regulates what they can do with kids but I'm not really accusing you of being a pedophile but the dots are there and others can connect them if they want to. But I'm not making any accusations.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 09:54 pm
@okie,
You guys are having what we call a "Big dick contest". You both have gotten things right, and Im willing to accept that both have had farming experience. Things have changed mightily in ag economics in 30 years . "you can plow/plant in the dead of summer, especially if you rotate after wheat/rye .There is no reason to leave fields fallow anymore unless you strip crop with alfalfa or clover. If you irrigate theres no reason to suffer any concern about seasonal planting. 3 crops a year is a minimum. We get four using short season crops like short soy or oats and rye.Even short season corn can be planted till the 4th of july.

dadpad

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:01 pm
...Or more than likely NOT plough instead you would spray then direct drill.
2PacksAday

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:04 pm
Stacking hay at a certain age....a lot of that would depend on the child, I know some 10 yr olds that are pretty hefty.

My son who is 10, and is a little fella....helped move a few straw bales while we were setting up for a Halloween party a few weeks ago....weight wise, he handled them fine....they were very dry, and I'd guess them in the 45 -50 lb range....but he had some trouble stacking them, mainly because of his height though....that and bad technique.
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:08 pm
@dadpad,
yeh most late season planting is now no till, but I dont think OKIE and PARADOS were ******* with roundup as kids. I never let my kids screw with it and ride the sprayer. I HAD THE APP LICENSE (even though you dont need one with Roundup)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:10 pm
@2PacksAday,
The AMish around us dont use kickers on their balkers so their littlest kids can be seen on the flat haywagons just dragging a haybale out of the baler chute and stacking it on the wagon, all drawn by 4 horses or mules .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2010 10:18 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Stacking hay at a certain age...that and bad technique.

technique certainly counts. Lift knee swing uuuup. Stuf it thats enough for today...
I was carting hay when i was a lad for the football club. We used to raise a bit of money and get good weight weight training as well. I think when i was 9 or 10 it was really just a bit of play. Maybe just shift a few off the top of the loading pickup. Most of the work was done by senior footballers.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 01:56 am
@parados,
Since you would never pay if you lost, why do you even bother to make the bet?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 02:09 am
@parados,
It doesnt give the age of the barn, but here is one that fits your demands otherwise...

http://www.agriseek.com/real-estate/p/Superb-Cattle-Ranch.htm

Quote:
The barn has a concrete floor, storage loft, tack/feed room, shedrow with stalls, tractor shed attached and additional storage. Also, there is a barn loft room that is lovely; it makes great guest facilities or \"hired-hand\" living quarters. It has carpeting, windows, ac/heat and a full bath.....very cozy.

parados

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 08:01 am
@mysteryman,
Fitting the age IS the requirement MM.

We know there are barns with second stories. Providing evidence of one isn't showing anything unless you show the age.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 09:40 am
@parados,
Almost all barns in Pa are built as "BAnk Barns" a style that haqs been in vogue here since the 1800's. It has a rmp leading to the second story which houses the hay mow aqnd equip storge .
We build one story parlors, drying sheds and "loafing sheds" these we dont technically call barns. MAybe out west where there isw ample room , you can have singlestory barns for animals and separate barns for hay. We consider that a huge waste of acreage.
okie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

You guys are having what we call a "Big dick contest". You both have gotten things right, and Im willing to accept that both have had farming experience.

This is not one upmanship as far as I am concerned, farmer, it is about credibility. parados set out to try to discredit what I said about growing up on a farm, and began posting various statements about his farming experience. In his effort to discredit me, he began to try to build scenarios as to how I did not know what I was talking about in regard to various farm things, and he has essentially said I had the equivalent of spending a couple of weeks on a farm as a teenager, this despite that grew up on a farm from the time I was born until the age of 18. This was the first time I have ever read anything about him growing up on a farm, although he claims now that he has talked about it before. I admit to not reading everything someone has written here, so I can't say for sure he never talked about it before, all I can say is that I do not recall anything about it. I get the definite feeling he is using his lawyerly approach to find a loophole or angle that he can use to try to discredit my conservative voice on this forum in any way he can, but I think now that he has started this game, it has now become a debate about his credibility. In my opinion, he has made some fairly questionable claims, but everyone will have to judge for themselves.

I think this is important, because parados is one of the leading Democrat and Obama apologists here. He is a good example of how liberals reason and think, in my opinion of course. So, I think this debate is important as a bellwether of the credibility of liberal political personalities in general, as well as that of parados himself.
okie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:39 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Fitting the age IS the requirement MM.
We know there are barns with second stories. Providing evidence of one isn't showing anything unless you show the age.

Why not? What does age have to do with this, as long as the barn is being used today?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:52 am
@farmerman,
my barn, self-built, was essentially a 60' x 24' x 16' high single floor "loafing" shed, one end opened to a horse corral with in/out feed bunk, next to that was a hog pen half inside-half outside, remaining half of barn=hay bales (approx 600 70lb bales, attached to other end a lofted barn 250 bales on floor, 200 bales in loft. A separate "loafing" shed (24' x 36') for equip- 2 tractors, mowing machine, hay rake, New Holland baler and closed in storage. corral with loading chute/squeeze chute connecting equipment shed to barn. hard to describe.
okie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:56 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
my barn, self-built,
Congrats, dys. I admire anyone that does useful stuff for themselves. When did you build it?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 10:58 am
@okie,
the one I described built in '81, took me 2 years with constant upgrades.
okie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 11:03 am
@dyslexia,
Another question, is your barn a horsebarn, a hogbarn, a cowbarn, or just a barn to use for any or all of the above, depending upon your particular mood or desire?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 11:10 am
@okie,
all the above.
okie

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 11:22 am
@dyslexia,
Hey dys, do you realize you just debunked one of parados's claims about barns? Not that it hasn't been debunked before, as mm has done it with links and all, but your barn is another nail in his coffin of credibility in regard to barns. Anyway, he said no cow barns are being built with haylofts in them. He may try to use his age rule of your barn being built about 30 years ago, I'm not sure, but knowing parados, he would always have an answer as to why your barn with loft doesn't count.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 11:34 am
@okie,
well honestly I don't really know, I would guess that lofted barns for hay storage for working farms/ranches are a thing of the past out west. I do see lofted barns being built on "hobby" farms mostly a nostalgia display rather than functional.