Am I ready for sex??

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
I'm 14 and i have been going out with my boyfriend for almost seven months and hes 15, I love him very much and he loves me. our relationship is very strong. he hasn't been pressuring me at all to have sex. He knows hes ready and he has condoms and everything. im not on birth control or anything. i know all about the risks and stuff and thats kinda what makes me doubt that im ready but im 99.9% sure that im ready and that i want to have sex. please help me with any advice that you have! thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 23 • Views: 9,293 • Replies: 86

PaddyH

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@won-der-ing,
You may be ready physically & emotionally, but you're not ready legally.Show your maturity by waiting.
Eva

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:51 pm
I don't know what advice you've been given, but condoms are NOT a sure thing! They work about 75-80% of the time, and that's if you use them correctly which many people don't.

No birth control method is 100% failproof. Unless you have a game plan for how you would handle an unplanned pregnancy, you're not ready. (And yes, I would give the exact same advice to a 20 year old.)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:05 am
@PaddyH,
This is incorrect. There is nothing illegal about sex between a 15 year old and a 14 year old.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:18 am
@Eva,
Eva is also incorrect.

Condoms have a 98% effectiveness rate according to Planned Parenthood if used correctly. This means that out of 100 couples who use condoms correctly for 1 year, 2 of them will have a pregnancy. Used incorrectly, they have an 85% effectiveness.

There are other forms of birth control, for example the pill, which are much more effective (more then 99% effective) assuming you take them every day and don't forget. One issue with the birth control pill is that they don't stop STDs. And of course there is nothing wrong with using both the pill and condoms which will decrease the chances of both diseases and pregnancy.

That being said, I think 14 is a little young. I don't think anonymous adults should be so prudish to think it doesn't happen. I agree with Eva that if you are going to start, you should think about and discuss the possibility of a pregnancy. This is a discussion that I had with my partners when I was in my 20s.

I won't tell you whether you should or shouldn't have sex, and I don't think that anyone who doesn't know you personally could ever give good advice on this.

I do hope you have some understanding adult who you can talk to about this, maybe a doctor, or a school counselor? The high school where my kids go provides family planning services where kids can get very good, non-judgmental advice on birth control and relationship issues.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:29 am
@maxdancona,
This varies across the 50 states if we are talking about the US. I would be cautious with the legal advice.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:34 am
@roger,
You may be right Roger, but I would be very surprised if any state were prosecuting teens with a one year age difference. Teenagers having sex is a fairly common occurrence.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:35 am
I suggest oral sex or mutual masturbation or something similar. No chance of pregnancy and much less chance of disease.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:56 am
@won-der-ing,
If you have to ask the obvious answer is no. 17 To 20 is a better age for it.
0 Replies

won-der-ing

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:54 pm
Thanks everyone, i just wanna add one more thing, we usually don't have ANY chances to actually have sex because both our parents are overprotective. But if we actually do get a chance i just kinda wanna know what the first time will feel like, I'm also not saying i am going to do it right now at this age i will probably wait a little bit longer till I'm completely sure and not doubting myself at all.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 03:07 pm
@won-der-ing,
see this
http://www.askstudent.com/tips/having-sex-for-the-first-time-heres-what-to-expect/

I think that a lot of people are too nervous and/or self conscious to fully enjoy the first time. The second time should be better.
won-der-ing

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 04:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you so much!!! i think this will help a lot! i think i might have my boyfriend read it too!! haha
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I've seen those Planned Parenthood statistics, but having had lots of experience with condoms, I don't believe them. It's too easy to get a bad one and not know it until it's too late. Especially for inexperienced teens. And they break, too.

I would advise any girl/woman NEVER to leave the birth control up to her partner. If he uses a condom, that's great. It will prevent STDs. But she should always use something herself, too, to be sure.

A lot of teenagers think being "ready for sex" just means being sure you want to do it. (!) But it means a lot more than that. It means preparation. I hope our original poster will speak to someone about reliable birth control before she goes any farther.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:11 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
I would advise any girl/woman NEVER to leave the birth control up to her partner
It is not very nice to give a teen advise that you know damn well is difficult for them to follow, for while we try to get girls the HPV shot by the time they are 12 because 13yo too often is too late because they ARE having sex, getting these same 12 and 13 yo girls dependable birth control is something between fantasy and really really hard to do in the real world.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:37 pm
@Eva,
Come on Eva! The most reliable source on information on birth control is Planned Parenthood. Your agenda in this discussion seems to be odds with the facts.

The 98% reliability statistic that Planned Parenthood states takes "bad condoms" into account. With modern manufacturing and quality control practices, combined with the fact that companies understand the importance of their products, it is very unlikely that you will get a bad condom. When I was single, I bought name brands (i.e. Trojan or Durex) and checked the date.

I also take issue with the idea that condoms "leave the birth control" up to the man. Sure, they go on the man's penis, but women often put them there. Women often buy condoms, and if a woman insists that a condom be used (excluding cases of rape), it will be. In my experience, since my twenties, condom use was always a mutual decision. No woman has ever had sex not knowing that her partner wasn't wearing a condom.

I agree with Eva that it is a very good think to have an understand non-judgmental adult you trust that you can talk to about these things. I hope that you have this.

Pemerson

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 07:58 pm
Try asking your mother.Talk to her.
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:07 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Try asking your mother.Talk to her.

Best answer yet!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
@Pemerson,
Doesn't that depend on the relationship she has with her mother? There is nothing here to indicate how understanding her mother would be talking about these issues. There are lots of parents who are not very good dealing with teenage sexuality.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:49 pm
@maxdancona,
You are so wrong, maxdancona and your advice just sucks. How dare you give
a 14 year old a carefree ticket.
----------

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@won-der-ing,
won-der-ing,

I have a 15 year old daughter and yes, we do talk about sex, as I have educated
her about that topic quite well. I always tell her that she will remember her first sexual experience for the rest of her life and she should make sure that is a very
memorable and pleasant experience. I also told her that she should make sure that the boy she's choosing to lose her virginity to, is darn worth it.

So far she (my daughter) has decided that she's not ready to make this very important step. Physically she's definitely ready, but emotionally she is not,
and she realizes that and is willing to wait. You should too!
0 Replies