Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:40 am
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/homosexuality/ho0003.html

Quote:

Societies that did not place boundaries around sexuality were stymied in their development. The subsequent dominance of the Western world can largely be attributed to the sexual revolution initiated by Judaism and later carried forward by Christianity.

This revolution consisted of forcing the sexual genie into the marital bottle. It ensured that sex no longer dominated society, heightened male-female love and sexuality (and thereby almost alone created the possibility of love and eroticism within marriage), and began the arduous task of elevating the status of women. ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 11,591 • Replies: 88
Topic Closed

Foofie

Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:01 am
@gungasnake,
In my opinion, Judaism rejected homosexuality back in the day when Jewish women were not stereotyped as women that never let the man get the last word, so to speak. In other words, it might be easier, as a male, to be heterosexual, when one doesn't see their home life dominated by an aging Jewish Princess and her coterie of never stop talking women relatives? Just my opinion. Not that there aren't Jewish females that know when to stop talking; however, they may be on the very right side of the charm bellcurve. It is my opinion, that many Jewish women do give credence to the stereotype of being know it alls, on all manner of topics, because if one doesn't feel "lovable," one then might decide that to get what one wants out of life, one must have "command"? Again in my opinion, Jewish women are the worst critics of their looks. So, if one's nose had to be "fixed," or one's hair was straightened, or one feels too short, or too heavy, or just doesn't think they would ever fit in to an LL Bean catalog, then it might be easy to get mad at the world, and react with an overbearing persona?

maxdancona

Sun 31 Mar, 2013 09:43 am
@gungasnake,
Why did Judaism reject Catholicism? (Or was it Catholicism that rejected judaism).

Based on what Catholics did to Jewish people, this article is ironically obscene.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 31 Mar, 2013 10:28 am
@maxdancona,
That's an article by Dennis Prager from 1993.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Sun 31 Mar, 2013 06:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my opinion, Judaism rejected homosexuality back in the day when Jewish women were not stereotyped as women that never let the man get the last word, so to speak. In other words, it might be easier, as a male, to be heterosexual, when one doesn't see their home life dominated by an aging Jewish Princess and her coterie of never stop talking women relatives? Just my opinion. Not that there aren't Jewish females that know when to stop talking; however, they may be on the very right side of the charm bellcurve. It is my opinion, that many Jewish women do give credence to the stereotype of being know it alls, on all manner of topics, because if one doesn't feel "lovable," one then might decide that to get what one wants out of life, one must have "command"? Again in my opinion, Jewish women are the worst critics of their looks. So, if one's nose had to be "fixed," or one's hair was straightened, or one feels too short, or too heavy, or just doesn't think they would ever fit in to an LL Bean catalog, then it might be easy to get mad at the world, and react with an overbearing persona?

Thanks for that, Foofie. Smile

Turning down Brandeis' offer to pay 3/4 of my tuition, in favor of McGill, was easily the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life.
(And I've done a lot of really dumb stuff).

I think it's time to reconnect with some of the Jewish women I used to know...
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:34 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my opinion, Judaism rejected homosexuality back in the day when Jewish women were not stereotyped as women that never let the man get the last word, so to speak. In other words, it might be easier, as a male, to be heterosexual, when one doesn't see their home life dominated by an aging Jewish Princess and her coterie of never stop talking women relatives?
d

Sorry that I couldn't copy your whole post but, after all, enough is really enough.

Why compare modern(?) ethnic Jewish home life with the ancient Hebrews?

Such is really a waste of time, when the emphasis in this discussion is on why homosexuality was prohibited by Jewish law. And for very good reason.

Population control was critical because of the low rate of survival of babies during and following the birth process, as well as the very high death rate of women while giving birth.

The Ancients were observant and noticed that when 2 men were engaged in sexual activity neither one of them ended up pregnant. Like wise, when 2 females engaged in sex, neither ended up pregnant.

So the conclusion arrived at by the Ancients was that homosexual sex never resulted in an increase in the population and moreover, may have actually played a role in a decrease in population size since men who played around with other men weren't inclined to have sex with women and thus never produced any offspring.

In terms of survival and growth of the Jewish population, homosexual sex was a big waste of time since it never resulted in the production of a live birth.

Simple facts, read the Bible. Learn from the ancient Hebrews.

Miller

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 05:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Why did Judaism reject Catholicism? (Or was it Catholicism that rejected judaism).

Based on the very high rate of inter-religious marriage between Catholics and Jews, I'd say that neither rejects the other today to any great extent. If they do, it has had little effect on sexual activity or marriage between the two religious groups.
Setanta

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:07 am
How ironic . . . Richard Lionheart was homosexual, Edward II was homosexual, King James (as in the King James bible) was homosexual. That's just England. Richard did not produce any children, but Edward II did, and his son Edward III was one of the most successful military leaders of the middle ages. King James I and VI produced a son, Charles, who was one of the most unfortunate monarchs in English history, but one can certainly not blame James for that.

That segment of the article is, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit.
parados

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:21 am
It's nice to know that women didn't enjoy sex at all until marriage came along. Rolling Eyes
maxdancona

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:03 am
@Setanta,
Most of this article is bullshit. It claims that Judaism prohibits all forms of extra-marital sex when in fact the Law of Moses allows concubines and sex with slaves.

And it claims that the Hebrew Bible has done more to civilize the world than any other idea in history (which is ridiculous given the fact that the ideas in the Hebrew Bible was taken from other sources and that other civilizations did just fine without it).

Setanta

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:20 am
@maxdancona,
You know, this Judeo-centric point of view long dominated history and archaeology, too. Archaeologists assumed (abetted by historians) that all great developments in civilization originated in the middle east--all the while ignoring the very existence of China. In the last 50 or 60 years, increased attention both on new archaeological exploration in Europe and the re-evaluation of archaeological finds already catalogued have revealed that, for example, copper and bronze were smelted in the Balkans before being smelted in the middle east. Very rich and complicated systems of marking are now considered to have been writing, but writing we cannot decipher because the languages are lost. The same thing applies to Linear A in Crete, where there are no inscriptions which can connect it to other, known languages as is the case with Linear B. Some contemporary paleoanthropologists even believe that Linear A and B may have derived from marking systems already in use in western and central Europe before Minoan civilization arose.

The assumption for more than a century was that all civilization arose in the middle east, and for no better reason than adherence to the Judeo-christian tradition.
Miller

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:23 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

It's nice to know that women didn't enjoy sex at all until marriage came along. Rolling Eyes

The poor women didn't have time to enjoy sex because of all the starving babies they were "making" without a man around the house to provide any $$ as a legal, loving spouse.
parados

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:35 am
@Miller,
How were they making babies without a man?
Miller

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:38 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

How were they making babies without a man?
w

without a man around the house to provide any $$ as a legal, loving spouse.

Read the whole statement and you'll find the answer.

parados

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:41 am
@Miller,
But you didn't answer my question.
Miller

Mon 1 Apr, 2013 10:43 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

But you didn't answer my question.

You didn't read the statement.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:33 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Sorry. I have learned more valuable knowledge from modern Jewish New Yorkers. Instead of the bible, I would recommend some Woody Allen movies and reruns of Seinfeld.
Miller

Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:42 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

Sorry. I have learned more valuable knowledge from modern Jewish New Yorkers. Instead of the bible, I would recommend some Woody Allen movies and reruns of Seinfeld.

You missed the point, Foofie. The question is why did ancient Jewish law prohibit homosexual activity among the population?

I don' tthink either Seinfeld or the degenerate Woody Allen would have the slighest idea. As far as modern Jewish New Yorkers, do any of them read or even own a Bible? I'd say no!
Foofie

Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:42 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Based on the very high rate of inter-religious marriage between Catholics and Jews, I'd say that neither rejects the other today to any great extent. If they do, it has had little effect on sexual activity or marriage between the two religious groups.

I have a different analysis. That being that Protestants tend not to marry (secular) Jews, unless they are quite successful. So, when a (secular) Jew has the attitude that non-Jews make more romantic partners, or some such thought, Catholics will marry them. Catholics, in my opinion, are taught we are all God's children, so to speak, so being Jewish doesn't disqualify a Jew from being a suitable mate, since Catholicism is a "universal" religion, and a child of that marriage can be Catholic like any other Catholic. However, many a WASP in my opinion, may not be comfortable with intermarriage, since that would mean, perhaps, in the eyes of the WASP world, the child has lost its pedigree.

I'm sort of ethnocentric, since I really look upon Ashkenazi Jews of Russian descent (circa 19th century, not the ex-Soviet citizens) as my landsmen. Israelis, Sephardim, German Jews, other Jews of European descent are all variations on my magnificent genome that generations of Russian Cossacks helped give to the women in my family, as a token of their largesse.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You know, this Judeo-centric point of view long dominated history and archaeology, too. Archaeologists assumed (abetted by historians) that all great developments in civilization originated in the middle east--all the while ignoring the very existence of China. In the last 50 or 60 years, increased attention both on new archaeological exploration in Europe and the re-evaluation of archaeological finds already catalogued have revealed that, for example, copper and bronze were smelted in the Balkans before being smelted in the middle east. Very rich and complicated systems of marking are now considered to have been writing, but writing we cannot decipher because the languages are lost. The same thing applies to Linear A in Crete, where there are no inscriptions which can connect it to other, known languages as is the case with Linear B. Some contemporary paleoanthropologists even believe that Linear A and B may have derived from marking systems already in use in western and central Europe before Minoan civilization arose.

The assumption for more than a century was that all civilization arose in the middle east, and for no better reason than adherence to the Judeo-christian tradition.

So tell me, why are Jews of Russian descent originally called "Oriental Jews"? Did they originally come from farther East than the Middle East?