The 4 Seasons of Ice Cream: Your favorite ice cream thread

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 07:27 pm
Is it ever too cold for ice cream? PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!

What's your favorite flavor? Brand?

Homemade ice cream? Gourmet ice cream?

What are your favorite Sundae toppings?

For those unfortunate souls who are lactate tolerant:
What are your alternative ice cream?
Frozen yogurt? Frozen soy ... (((gag))) ice cream? [I apologize for the blaspheme I just wrote] Hari-kari? [A life without ice cream is one that's intolerable to bear]

http://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/1766.png
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1766#
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 34,752 • Replies: 211

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 07:34 pm
I would have kissed that cartoon boy. He was cute.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:02 pm
Me too....

I eat fro-yo or sorbet. My current favorite grocery store fro-yo is Ben and Jerry's Half-Baked. My favorite shop is the kind you can mix in flavors. In a shop like that my favorite is key lime pie in non-fat vanilla fro-yo. They take a frozen slice of pie with crust and mix it in. (yum).
kuvasz

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bluebell, Black Walnut.

Quote:
R.W. Apple, Jr. of The New York Times claims that "[w]ith clean, vibrant flavors and a rich, luxuriant consistency achieved despite a butterfat content a little lower than some competitors, it hooks you from the first spoonful. Entirely and blessedly absent are the cloying sweetness, chalky texture, and oily, gummy aftertaste that afflict many mass-manufactured ice creams."[8] In 2001, Forbes named Blue Bell the best ice cream in the country.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bell_Creameries
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
When I was a kid, a lime sherbet cone at a place on Green Bay Road in Evanston.
When I was a traveler, any gelato at Giolitti in Rome.
Since I live here in Albuquerque, the pistacho paleta bar at La Michoacana.

Except that a week or two ago, I tried making my own ice cream, so that's the new favorite, nectarine ice cream..

I have some "juice" I saved from my effort to make my first crostata (ital plum tart), also about two weeks ago. I froze it after I drained the plums, thinking maybe I could use it in ice cream. So, thinking, plum raisin, maybe soak the raisins in marsala...

Ima gonna have to start watching my weight.
Diane

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:04 pm
My granny's homemade icecream was something from heaven. The very best.
She lived in Trinidad, CO. and when I was little, we would visit her at Christmas.

Occasionaly, she would send me and my brothers down the alley to a tiny grocery store for a carton of hand-packed, homemade ice cream. It was a wonderful, exciting walk for a five year old girl and the man who owned the grocery was always nice and cheerful and I have always remembered his smile.

These days, since I have Type II diabetes, I shouldn't eat ice cream, but I do cheat. When I do, my personality changes to a sort of Elvira, including fangs. That much sugar does a job on me almost immediately. Yes, I'm stupid to eat it, I deserve the payback, but stupidity and ice cream seem made for each other. It's truly like an addiction.

Somebody please slap me upside the head.

Loved the comic, Tsarstepan.

Gotta go now, I'm drooling and I hate it when the hair starts to grow on my fingers... Sad
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:11 pm
Even as we speak I am savoring some Haagen-Dazs Green Tea ice cream. Usually I get either their Coffee or Dulce de Leche but this looked intriguing. Yum!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 03:06 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Me too....

I eat fro-yo or sorbet. My current favorite grocery store fro-yo is Ben and Jerry's Half-Baked. My favorite shop is the kind you can mix in flavors. In a shop like that my favorite is key lime pie in non-fat vanilla fro-yo. They take a frozen slice of pie with crust and mix it in. (yum).

In the past, the idea of mix ins never seemed attractive enough to me. But frozen homemade pie?! Sheer genius!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 03:08 am
@kuvasz,
You guys are hogging all the Blue Bell ice cream!! Sad
http://www.bluebell.com/the_little_creamery/blue_bell_country.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 03:10 am
@ossobuco,
Homemade ice cream? Sounds dangerous! Razz

Lucky so and so! Surprised
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 07:38 am
@Diane,
You can make vanilla ice cream without sugar.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 07:48 am
When I was a kid in Detroit, "downriver," in the town of Wyandotte was a little ice cream shop called Alfholder Brother's Creamery. Their neon logo was a cow profile, with block letters ABC cascading diagonally across her face. One color was pink and the other was blue but I no longer remember which was color was used for which feature.

They made their own ice cream (and not from "ice cream mix" which most shops today use) and had seasonal flavors which I would pick rather than my regular chocolate. Blueberry and peach were my favorite. I have found most peach ice creams disappointing. Most makers use little chunks of peaches which become aggressively hard and flavorless lumps.

The local brand where I live is Bart's. Their ice creams are magnificent. Even their peach is acceptable although I prefer the peach I made Sunday. I cooked the peaches, starting with a bit of butter and adding sugar as the fruit softened. The mix cooled for 8 hours, then I blended it and added heavy cream and a little milk in the blender. Really good!

I am a dyed-in-my-bones chocoholic but recently had an ice cream with chocolate chunks that were too large. The texture of the ice cream was soft and runny and the chunks made eating the cone difficult. I might make a chocolate-pecan ice cream in tribute to the chocolate pecan pie my mother used to bake.
Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:08 am
I hardly eat icecream. Almost every carton says "may contain trace amounts of nuts/or tree nuts". I'm allergic. I hardly eat any dessert for the same reason. I really wish somebody would make a no-nut product.
mags314772

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:40 am
Trader Joe's vanilla....rich and creamy beyond belief
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:45 am
@plainoldme,
You are my leader...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:46 am
@mags314772,
really?

going there today... I'll pick some up and report back later.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
Being a New Englander - I love ice cream and year round whether it is 100 degrees or below zero. My favorite ice cream you can buy in a store is Brighams Cursed Reversed. I know, I know they renamed it D'ice cream or something dumb like that - I prefer the old name.

I like almost any good quality ice cream without too much stuff in it - certainly no fruit or fruit-like items in it. Ben and Jerry's is good - but they usually cram it with too much fill-ins. I like to enjoy the natural yummy taste of the ice cream with just a certain amount of nuts, jimmies, chips or fudge swirl. Not a fan of carmel in the ice cream either.

I love a basic hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and nuts and a cherry on top.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:02 am
@plainoldme,
You bring up a good issue plainoldyou that needs addressing. Wink

To cone or not to cone! That is the question!

Me? I rather skip the cone all together and get the most out of my ice cream and go all cupsies!
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
No cone.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I hardly eat icecream. Almost every carton says "may contain trace amounts of nuts/or tree nuts". I'm allergic. I hardly eat any dessert for the same reason. I really wish somebody would make a no-nut product.

You have my sincerest condolences Ceili. Sad
0 Replies