I scream, you scream...

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:47 am
ooooh! Ice cream!

I had some ice cream last night that I swear will be my eternal favourite now. Banana Split by Blue Bunny (I think). I picked it up at my neighborhood Fresh Grocer for my ice cream addict husband (who generally eats Vanilla by the gallon - but wanted me to pick something different for him for a change).

Oh! Though I'm not a fan of banana splits in general - this ice cream is to-die-for. Perfect, just a perfect swirly blend of chocolate & vanilla & strawberry, with little bits of cherries and lots of barely-there pieces of nuts. Yuuummmmmmmmmm!

What's your favourite flavor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 11,354 • Replies: 40
Topic Closed
No top replies

Chai

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:03 am
milk products make me fart and soy ice cream sucks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:14 am
Aw...

There is a specialty ice cream maker here in Columbus who makes the most incredible stuff. Her pear riesling is one of my favorites. Her salty caramel is also mama mia.

Hey, you can order online if you're interested:

http://www.jenisicecreams.com/0500allflavors.html
0 Replies

Chai

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:16 am
well, a lot of good that does me.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:23 am
I feel very sorry for you, Chai. (Chai - from Hindi - the staple cuppa of every Indian worth their masala. Cool!)

I used to love these little tofu ice cream sandwiches called Tofutti (sp?). Lots of flavors - chocolate, berry, whatnot. Quite yummy. Try it.

Pear riesling sounds absolutely delish, Sozobe. And thanks for the link - will definitely check it out.

How about Lychee ice-cream, anyone? Oh, some Indian grocery stores carry Indian ice cream, called Kulfi. (Not a brand, ice cream = kulfi, sorta.) Lots of different flavors: butterscotch, chikoo (don't know the English name for this fruit), tutti frutti (urgh), pistachio. And MANGO. Yeah. That stuff is rocking, too!
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:46 am
I know, Chai, sorry.

_Heatwave_, Jeni's has Mango Lassi.... fabulous!
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
Cursed Reversed by Brighams, but I heard they were changing it to Dice-Kream.

It has Brigham's signature vanilla ice cream loaded with chocolate-covered peanuts or "baseballs," chocolate-covered caramel "bases," and swirls of Brigham's famous fudge sauce.

The odd thing is Reverse the Curse first debuted in May 2004 to attempt to reverse the famed Babe Ruth curse. It was renamed Curse Reversed! after the team's world championship victory in that same year! The flavor later received the honor of being invited into the National Baseball Hall of Fame's exhibit in Cooperstown, New York, featuring the World Series triumph of 2004.

I actually finished some after being sick with a tummy bug this morning and the only thing I felt I could stomach was good old Curse Reversed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:44 pm
Here is a picture of it....

http://www.brighams.com/images/inside/special_events/renameEntryForm.gif

Of course this ice cream is only available in New England.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:49 pm
No matter how much I might enjoy other flavours from time to time, my favourite, hands down, with no exceptions, alwayshasbeenallmylifeandforevermoreI'mgrumpilyserious aboutitifthat'swhatIorderedandyoubringmesomethingelseIloveitanddon'twanttoimagineneverhavingitagainIdon'tcareifIfartforever, has got to be, chocolate.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 01:17 pm
Mango Lassi's yummy too, Sozobe. But. If you ever find an Indian store that stocks Mango kulfi - DO try some. It's to-die-for, I tell ya, to-die-for!

Linkat - that looks like good stuff. Love the bit of history attached. Cool name too! Will have to keep on my list for whenever we head into NE. I hope your tummy bug is gone for good. Ice cream - the panacea for all ills.

Ha! Joeblow. That was cute. I like chocolate ice-cream too. Though, I like to 'dress it up' (or spoil it - according to the Mister) - add some chopped walnuts, some ready-whip, warm chocolate syrup. Put the babe to bed. Give me a book to read - I'm gooooood to go!

So. Best ice-cream experience though:

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge a couple summers ago, with my mum, one sauna-like Noo Yawk afternoon. Over, across the bridge, into Brooklyn, just a block or so away from the base of the Bridge - the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Sitting outside, drinking in the view across the water of the City skyline; tired dogs resting on chairs; digging into fresh, home-made peaches & cream ice cream. Fabulous!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:35 pm
My first favorite was 'Statue of Liberty' ice cream...it was actually pistachio and it was green; but, when you're 5 postachio is a hard word (still is, apparently). Not sure what brand it was. I still love pistachio; but rarely find it in that delightful shade of green any more.

A current favorite is Ben and Jerry's Fossil Fuel and most ice creams that are heavy into chocolate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:44 pm
sozobe wrote:
Aw...

There is a specialty ice cream maker here in Columbus who makes the most incredible stuff. Her pear riesling is one of my favorites. Her salty caramel is also mama mia.

Hey, you can order online if you're interested:

http://www.jenisicecreams.com/0500allflavors.html

There are a lot of good ice creams available in central Ohio. Unfortunately, i don't remember the names. There's a really good one on Main Street in Bexley, which was next door to the movie theater. Don't remember the name, sadly.

There used to be an ice cream place in the Short North, on a side street just off High Street . . . it might have been Russell Street. They had black raspberry on the menu, and when i ordered it, they put hand-made vanilla ice cream on a cutting board, and crushed black raspberries into the ice cream--it was out of this world.

I'll go see if i can find the name of that place in Bexley.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:47 pm
It's Graeter's Ice Cream, and they have locations all over the place.

Soz will recognize the nearest store on this map.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:50 pm
Another New Englan ice cream is Ely's GRAPENUTS in VANILLA. Its rather malty tasting.
There used to be a malt ice cream when I was a kid called Cho-Cho. I believe the makers were taken prisoner and shot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:51 pm
Eh, Graeter's is good, Jeni's is great. She's only been at North Market for maybe 3-4 years -- you might've missed her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:53 pm
The West Indian ice cream producer near me makes a bunch of fabu products - two of my favourites are grape nut and rose water.

Tropical Treets

Their website (the entire 1 page of it :wink: ) notes pistachio kulfi, soursop, and saffron kulfi in their product line.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:57 pm
Used to go here when I was a kid: The Guernsey Cow.
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:00 pm
Vegemite Ice cream

http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=6498
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/lifestyles/assets/vegemilk.jpg

Vegemite Milkshake
Okay - this isn't anything I would call dessert, but it doesn't fit into any other category and is definitely unusual, so I thought I might as well include it here...

Vegemite (a black substance made of Concentrated Yeast Extract)
1 scoop Ice-cream to chill the shake,
2 T Milo (another Australian product)
4 ounces low-fat white milk
2 eggs
Nutmeg
2 stock or bullion cube (beef or chicken)
1 very hot chilli pepper

First put two tablespoons of Good Aussie MILO (chocolate drink mix) in the bottom of a milkshake glass. Lightly spread one thin layer of Vegemite over the Milo to seal in the chocolate flavour. Briskly whip two eggs and pour on top of the Vegemite layer. Take one ice-cream scoop and, while still in the ice-cream scooper-spoon, cover generously with Vegemite so it is completely black. Add milk slowly and mix in the stock-cubes. Carefully drop the ice-cream scoop into glass from a height of 13 inches (precisely - the proven scientific height that lets the Vegemite ice-cream scoop perfectly diffuse into the milk; any lower and the Vegemite will sink, any higher and the glass may explode). Sprinkle with nutmeg or top with cream. Take very hot chilli pepper and chew it VERY SLOWLY so as to completely numb any sensation in your throat. Clean up the splatters, then enjoy your fair-dinkum Aussie Vegemite milkshake! Great at breakfast or to ease that mid-afternoon hunger-craving.

Source: greggles.tripod.com/index2.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:06 pm
<thud>
0 Replies

dadpad

Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:24 pm
Read the vegemite milkshake instructions to the end.
0 Replies