The 4 Seasons of Ice Cream: Your favorite ice cream thread

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:07 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not a fan of carmel in the ice cream either.

Despite this blasphemous belief...

Quote:
Being a New Englander - I love ice cream and year round whether it is 100 degrees or below zero.

This thread was made for the likes of you and me. Native New Englanders who can brave ice cream in the dead of a New England winter even when a massive Northeasterner is pounding down our doors with 5 feet of snow and ice!

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:12 am
@tsarstepan,
I like to cone - sugar cone - it is great to slowly lick and time it right so that the ice cream does not melt downward and onto your hands.

You really have to work at it just right or it becomes a mess - takes lots of practice.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:13 am
@tsarstepan,
The best time when it is cold - that way the ice cream doesn't melt as fast so you can slowly eat it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:16 am
I like chocolate. Plain old chocolate. Haagen Daz. I like a chocolate sugar cone with chocolate sprinkles. I also like chocolate ice cream sodas. Sometimes I eat it out of the carton.

Chocolate.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:17 am
@Roberta,
So not vanilla huh - just chocolate?
George

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:35 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I like to cone - sugar cone - it is great to slowly lick and time it right so that
the ice cream does not melt downward and onto your hands.

You really have to work at it just right or it becomes a mess - takes lots of
practice.

It's hilarious to watch the littl'uns before they get the hang of it.
After they finish, they stick to anything they contact, or it sticks to them.
Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:36 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I've had vanilla on occasion. Even strawberry once in a while. But basically it's chocolate.
George

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:38 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Linkat wrote:

I've had vanilla on occasion. Even strawberry once in a while. But basically it's chocolate.

A woman of strong convictions, but willing to bend occasionally.
Admirable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@Linkat,
Vanilla is ok if there is chocolate syrup on it.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
small batch peach ice cream if I can find it

everything else is just tolerable

though there was a time when I kinda liked the BR lime daquiri ice - the closest thing to good homemade frozen lemonade I've ever found
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:17 pm
@George,
I also use that as an excuse to eat some of the ice cream....oh wait let me get that so you don't get all drippy and then I lick it clean!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree - with vanilla you need a little chocolate in some form - like syrup or chips or jimmies (aka sprinkles)
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 12:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
yep.... I prefer ice cream in the wintertime. I seldom eat it in the summer. I always figured it was my body wanting to bulk up on high fat foods to survive the long, cold winter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 05:45 am
@Linkat,
bacon vanilla ripple sounds gross but is really good. There is the perfumy sweetness of the vanilla that it abruptly punctuated by bits of salty, and(I dont know how they do it) crispy bacon chunks.

You buy it at a boardwalk Ice Cream place in Rehoboth Delaware.
Its not something Id propose for a constant ice cream diet. For that Id choose a CHO CHO, which is a light chocolate MALT flavor; OR Sweet Cream and nuts or Coconut.
very tricky flavors.
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 05:55 am
jeni'sjeni'sjeni'sjeni'sjeni's

http://jenisicecreams.com/

I just tried Celery with Rum-Soaked Sultanas for the first time, very nice indeed. Subtle. The Brown Butter Almond Brittle is more my speed though (amazing stuff).

Other seasonal flavors here:

http://jenisicecreams.com/flavors-seasonal.html

(Have to try the heirloom pumpkin 5-spice.) (Ooh and the star anise with candied fennel!)

Anyway, I've gone on about Jeni's before, but it's one of those things that lifts Columbus from mere flyover country. This stuff is world-class.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:07 am
@Linkat,
I probably have subconsciously moved towards a preference of eating ice cream out of pints and bowls because of a childhood trauma of losing a scoop or two of heavenly hash ice cream off a cone onto the parking lot and thusly converting it to rocky road ice cream (literally). Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:08 am
@ossobuco,
Vanillia ice cream is the ideal ice cream for brownie based sundaes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

bacon vanilla ripple sounds gross but is really good. There is the perfumy sweetness of the vanilla that it abruptly punctuated by bits of salty, and(I dont know how they do it) crispy bacon chunks.

You buy it at a boardwalk Ice Cream place in Rehoboth Delaware.
Its not something Id propose for a constant ice cream diet. For that Id choose a CHO CHO, which is a light chocolate MALT flavor; OR Sweet Cream and nuts or Coconut.
very tricky flavors.

I believe this ice cream place was highlighted in a particularly famous PBS ice cream documentary, An Ice Cream Show.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:12 am
A favorite treat in my family was a plain cake-style doughnut, split english-muffin style and lightly toasted. A big scoop of vanilla ice cream on each warm doughnut half, hot fudge, and nuts. The doughtnuts burn quickly in a toaster because of the fat content so you have to keep an eye on them, but they get crunchy and yummy and provide a bit of heat to soften the ice cream.

YUMMMMMMMMMMM
George

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 08:52 am
@JPB,
I gained four pounds just reading that.
0 Replies