Man Bashing, and what Men should do about it

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
Quote:
I think there is a generalized assumption that men “are at fault” whatever the problem may be, whatever disturbance exists in society. Additionally, there is the widespread idea that women need to “step up” and “take charge” because men have messed things up, are good for nothing, are incompetent boobs. I believe the overall reason why men are the primary targets of this kind of angst and criticism is precisely because, in people’s guts, there is the assumption that men should be in charge and in control, that they are responsible for society’s functioning overall, and therefore are to blame when things go wrong. Men are always to blame because the leader is always to blame, the boss is responsible for the failure of his company, not the employees he hired and whom he tells what to do. What if the employees are not given direction by the boss because the boss is off playing golf, the company falls into disorganization, the employees are left to figure things out by themselves, and the company falls into losses, the employees pay is cut, some employees have to be laid off, etc.? Who is to blame, whom is anger directed towards: the employees or the boss?

In this analogy, men are the boss and women are the employees. The reason why men are to blame is because it is the man’s responsibility to make sure the family unit works right. When the family unit doesn’t work it is presumptively the man’s fault, because he is the boss. Now you might object, these women who bash men are in no way inclined to be submissive to men, to allow men to play their leadership role, as good bosses or managers. This is true, because the man has lost the trust of the woman due to his prior negligent behavior. Now to generalize the sins of particular men in the past to men in general, or to future developing men who are currently just boys, is obviously pathological and dysfunctional on the part of any woman, as well as unfair; and in the case of a mother in a position of authority against her own son, this is clearly abusive.

I’m not trying to justify man-bashing here, just trying to explain it. As to why men go along with it, I think it is a feeble, timid, passive acceptance of their own guilt, a way to lazily get on women’s good side or avoid an argument, and a feeling on the man’s part that he is above such criticism, that such criticism doesn’t bother him, to let women do their bitching, it’s just what women do. Most importantly, men accept such broad brush man-bashing due to passivity, not wanting to get involved, not wanting to take responsibility.

What men should do in response to man-bashing is assert their value, virtue, and purpose as men, assert the authority they need as men to do their jobs, and take on the responsibilities that are associated with the male role.
http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2010/08/women-also-bash-men-because-they-believe-in-them/

I agree, though the way I put it is that men should stop taking **** from women. Real men stand up for themselves when we are right, and admit that we are wrong when we are wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 23,428 • Replies: 350
Topic Closed

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I like this a lot
Quote:
Jesse writes,

What men should do in response to man-bashing is assert their value, virtue, and purpose as men, assert the authority they need as men to do their jobs, and take on the responsibilities that are associated with the male role. [emphasis added]

This is an excellent statement. Jesse is not saying that men should submissively accept insults. He is not saying men are always to blame for the insubordination, but that it grows worse when men do not assert themselves. This is no easy task in a world that demands men be hypersensitive. At the same time, as he acknowledged, women are to blame for their own selfishness and narcissism. Women are not children. They are morally accountable for the ingratitude and lack of respect they show for husbands, children and friends. Even assertive men cannot control a woman who is bent on destroying others.
the answer of course is that men need to refuse to be hypersensitive if we don't want to be. The demand that we be is unreasonable, it is a violation of our personal space.
0 Replies

Mame

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:47 pm
You're living in the dark ages, man. Get over it.
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:50 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
You're living in the dark ages, man. Get over it.
I am also on the vanguard of the men's rights movement, and we are rolling up successes rapidly now, because we are right. You did not really think that women would get away with pissing over men indefinitely, did you? Our Black brothers have failed to do the right thing, but men in general will not be so foolish.
Mame

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know where you live or who you hang out with, but in my world, you would be a speck on the flotsam of life. Nobody I know thinks this way. Do you get it? Not everybody has these viewpoints. So maybe you should enlarge your circle of friends/acquaintances/colleagues or get out and travel some.

You are PREHISTORIC in your thinking. This is 70's thinking at best where I live, more like 50's - 60's.

Get over it.
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:10 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Nobody I know thinks this way.
Obviosly I dont know, but I doubt that you know either. Only an idiot mens right sympathizer would volunteer this information to you given your hostility to the movement. We are still in the shadows, we talk in private, but we are on the rise.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:15 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
News & Politics
"Men's Rights" Groups Have Become Frighteningly Effective
They’re changing custody rights and domestic violence laws

Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:45amBy Kathryn Joyce
http://www.doublex.com/section/news-politics/mens-rights-groups-have-become-frighteningly-effective?page=10
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:18 pm
Caroline Davies The Guardian, Monday 23 November 2009
Quote:
After decades of feminism, equal rights and "women-only" support networks, a lower, deeper voice is attempting to make itself heard at some of Britain's leading universities.

Male students are "manning-up", setting up men's groups to celebrate and explore the concept of masculinity amid accusations of sexism and gender stereotyping.

Manchester University has created the first official MENS Society – Masculinity Exploring Networking and Support – despite outrage from critics who claim the existence of such a group undermines women's ability to speak out for equality.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/nov/23/men-students-support-groups-universities
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:18 pm
It sounds like that Promise Keepers blubber.

They just need to add something like "God decrees that" blahblahblah.

I'm all for "men's rights" -- especially when it comes to "women's" issues like parenting. Men have really gotten the shaft on issues like custody, visitation, alimony, child support, etc. I have some pretty serious qualms about a man's inability to have say in a woman's choice to give birth and parent, abort, or place for adoption.

But this **** is just stupid.
Setanta

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:19 pm
Oh . . . oh . . . i know ! ! !

Let's whine about it!
firefly

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the way I put it is that men should stop taking **** from women

So tell us, just what **** do the women in your life dump on you? And what do you do about it?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Let's whine about it!
No. Let's identify the problems, and then fix them.
Setanta

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'll be interested if you manage to do that--identify them and propose practicable solutions.
Ceili

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:31 pm
Somebody get me a tissue...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
Quote:
Men’s rights will never take off for the following reasons:

1.It is hard for men to play the victim card without looking weak and therefore loserish. Most men would rather just suffer in silence than admit their weakness. … (You just can’t admit that, while your future wife was out shagging a couple alphas, you yourself could barely get laid.)
2.There are all sorts of men who will chivalrously jump to a women’s defense. …
3.Alpha males run everything … hence feminists … [can] point out how “men” are the big winners in our society. …
4.The most talented and articulate men have little incentive to speak out … lends a further loserish cast to the proceedings.
5.Most beta males are actually pretty happy … a lot … really do prefer XBox 360 to sex.
http://www.overcomingbias.com/2009/09/thursday-on-mens-rights.html

all true. However fighting for justice, fairness and healthy relationships is the right thing to do, and real men will stand up and do what is right even if their is a personal cost to doing the right thing. as always it will be the Alpha males who lead the way, expecting the Beta's to do it was always unrealistic.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:57 pm
Of course it is all their fault. Men get bashed because of the way they dress. Wink

Ceili

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ironic aint it... Over on the rape thread he's got no sympathy for the victims but men don't get their way and he's all up in arms. Life sucks eh!
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:24 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Ironic aint it... Over on the rape thread he's got no sympathy for the victims but men don't get their way and he's all up in arms
I dont have a whole lot of use for separating people into piles of abuser/victim.....I do however care about fairness, education, and personal growth. Men are pissed upon by women because of our own stupidity, our refusal to stand up to women. we are not victims of anybody but ourselves for the most part. Feminists and rape culture promoters have accumulated so much power because they have rarely been opposed. This stops now.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:34 pm
Quote:
Only an idiot mens right sympathizer would volunteer this information to you given your hostility to the movement. We are still in the shadows, we talk in private, but we are on the rise.

Is this a joke? Somebody please tell me this is a joke.
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:57 pm
@Lambchop,
which part looks like fantasy to you?
Quote:
In the 2000s men and concerned women began to share their concerns on the Internet. Its supporters are considered part of the Men's Movement, and often call themselves Men's Rights Activists, or MRAs. Father's rights and misuse of Domestic violence and Dowry laws are areas central to the men's rights movement. Its concerns include health, education, employment, civil rights, legal equality and representation and Constitutional rights.[2][3] Many supporters are particularly concerned with the effect of Sexual Harassment,[4] Divorce,[5] Custody, Rape,[6] and Violence Against Women Act-type laws,[7] on men's rights and freedoms. It is argued that these laws cause violation of Constitutional rights such as the right to a fair trial and the right to due process.[8]

Affirmative Action or quota programs, and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 are also areas of prime concern. One group, S.P.A.R.C., argues that these policies have a far more discriminatory effect than is widely reported or acknowledged.[9]

Some activists in Men's Rights Advocacy and Masculism also promote the concept of "defending male identity". Typically this would be defined as strength, honor and honesty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_rights

Quote:
Structure
Like most social movements, those concerned with men's rights comprise a wide variety of individuals and organisations, both united and divided in various ways on specific issues including the mistreatment of men in the media, the abortion debate, family law, and false rape allegations.[11] Some groups are formally organised or incorporated, while others are casual alliances or the work of a few individuals.[8]

Although the vast majority of men's rights leaders and activists are men, there are many women, including those in significant positions within the movement. For example, Sue Price in the Australian Men's Rights Agency has been at the forefront of activism there. Naomi Penner was a women's rights activist in the 1960s who later helped to create the National Coalition of Free Men in America in 1981. B.N. Saraswati founded one of the earliest Men's rights groups in India. Significant books have highlighted a disparity in the feminist movement's active support for equality when seeking redress for women, but their lack of support for equality when men are disadvantaged.[9][10]

Although most men's rights advocates live in western countries, from 2003 onwards men's rights groups began to emerge in countries such as Japan and India.[12] With the increasing abuse of Dowry Laws against men, in India the movement took the structure of demand of gender-neutral laws[13] The Save Indian Family Foundation (SIFF), is a registered, non-funded, non-profit, voluntary Non-Government Organization (NGO) headquartered at Bangalore, which engages itself in primarily creating awareness about what it calls "Legal Terrorism going on in the country under the garb and paradoxical veil of Women's Empowerment" through various methods like television shows on news channels, protests, road shows, press conferences, article publication, and online blogging. The organisation provides counselling support to the victims who undergo harassment or false imprisonment.

The Movement includes a heterogeneous mix of atheistic to highly religious individuals as well as individuals from across the left, right, and center of the political spectrum
0 Replies