vBulletin rocks, new A2K forum sux

Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:30 pm
Why the heck did you guys not simply use vBulletin if you really felt the need to reinvent the wheel? vBulletin is clean, simple, and to the point with an efficient and friendly user interface unlike the cludgy new A2K Forum.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:47 pm
@Chumly,
I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I own forums running vbulletin and am not at all impressed with the codebase.

It's certainly not "clean" at all, just familiar to you as a typical forum look.
Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
At the very worst, the inverse of familiarity breeds contempt.

But in any case, either misery loves company, or you are incorrect in your assessment of its codebase relative to the alternatives, given that vBulletin has "thousands of clients, including many industry leading blue chip companies".

Are you inferring that popularity and familiarity are not pivotal in ensuring good traffic? Are you suggesting that novelty for and of its own sake has merit in this context?

vBulletin is far more than "just familiar to you as a typical forum look" it contains much more relevant data on a per area basis, it's collated in a much more logical manner and there is much less wasted space on a per area basis.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly, when you are God, what is your universe gonna be like?

(just curious)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I own forums running vbulletin and am not at all impressed with the codebase.

It's certainly not "clean" at all, just familiar to you as a typical forum look.

Do you, therefore, plan to make a change from vbulletin?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:35 pm
Speaking of traffic. I was watching the people online count and it was at 1322 at 1:28 am and 2 minutes later reached 1588. It now reads 1788 and climbing. I guess traffic has skyrocketed with the "new" A2K.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:38 pm
@Intrepid,
On the forums I own that run vbulletin (and other forum software) you mean? Depends, some may become integrated into this forum. Others may convert to other forum software or stay in vbulletin. Others still may be sold.

It really depends on the site. This site has a lot more than just a forum planned for it, and that's why the code base is written from scratch. We don't want to extend someone else's bad code as far as we plan to with our own software. So other sites I have that I don't care about as much or that I don't have the same plans for will probably run out-of-box software that suits their purposes.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:41 pm
@Intrepid,
I thought it was high at 306 earlier today, but 1,703 seems like a bit much.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:42 pm
@Intrepid,
Bit of a mixed bag, I explain elsewhere, but the counting works differently. The old site had 5 minutes sessions (but it didn't always work that way and some sessions lasted a lot longer) and this one temporarily has 15 minute sessions. So the numbers on this site are counting a bit differently right now, and will be higher in most scenarios than the numbers on the last site.

You can't really tell if a member is online or not, so you basically wait till you haven't had a page view for a few minutes and count them as being offline. In order to have people get logged out of posting less often (when not using the "remember me" cookie) we have temporarily set it at 15 minutes so people count as being online for longer and the number is higher.

Additionally, the search engines have been blocked for over a week and were let back in last night causing a bump in traffic.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I thought it was high at 306 earlier today, but 1,703 seems like a bit much.

Currently at 1722. A glitch, maybe?
0 Replies