On the wings of a snow-white dove

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:34 am
Florida Dove World Outreach Center pastor Terry Jones' plans "International Burn a Koran Day" apparently the "idea" is that good american christianity can overcome the evils of Islam by burning the Koran. Gosh, I think it's a swell idea, in once glorious media covered event american can probably generate enough outrage to get dozens of US troops (perhaps 100's) killed/wounded. Well, you know what Pogo said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 40 • Views: 26,528 • Replies: 374

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:49 am
If radical Christians try to help the United States any more than they are doing now, will our country survive?

BBB
boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:55 am
Why do they want to burn up books that talk about Jesus?

They do know Jesus is in the Koran, right?

Right?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 08:33 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I hardly think of this planned event as "radical christians" anymore than I think of the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas as "radical christians" I'm far more inclined to think of these people as the epitome all the ugly hate-filled mindless psychotic religious pretenders. No christian (in my thinking) would partake in this ****.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 08:57 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Why do they want to burn up books that talk about Jesus?

They do know Jesus is in the Koran, right?

Right?
I am not sure if all Christians know that Jesus is in the Qu'ran or not but I know he is. However, in the Qu'ran he is only a prophet and not the Son of God. I, for one, am totally against this Burn the Qu'ran Day. It is going to do nothing but upset the Muslims, just as it would upset Christians if a Mosque held a National Burn the Bible Day. The bible says, wherever possible, be at peace with all men. It also says we are to provoke others to do good works-not to anger. I do not see how this is an act of peace or anything less than provocation.
john2054

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:11 am
@dyslexia,
That's not very nice. They're going to upset more then a few fundamentalists by taking this approach. This seems to be the problem with much of the West nowadays, they are ignorant of other faiths which are different to themselves, and rely on the better educated among us, to pick up the pieces once the damage has been done. Just look at what they did to Iraq for instance! John.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:13 am
Burn 'em, flush 'em -- nothing seems to get rid of those pesky korans!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 09:16 am
I heard that this Florida church has a paltry 50 members. However, they have been publicizing the event over the internet. A small group of ignorant people can cause a lot of harm.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:10 am
Horrified by the news but grateful to have this news. a2k is an important source.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:37 am
This is probably not news to all posting, but -

Petraeus Condemns U.S. Church's Plan to Burn Qurans
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703713504575475500753093116.html

Clip from article -

By JULIAN E. BARNES And MATTHEW ROSENBERG

KABUL—The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a small Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."
Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:46 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I hardly think of this planned event as "radical christians" anymore than I think of the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas as "radical christians" I'm far more inclined to think of these people as the epitome all the ugly hate-filled mindless psychotic religious pretenders. No christian (in my thinking) would partake in this ****.

Amen
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Book burning of any kind, especially a book that some people consider sacred, is a disgusting and provocative thing to do. I don't know what they are attempting to prove, but it may come back to bite them (and the rest of us) in the ass. I really hope that the police put a stop to this. It is a matter of possibly inciting a riot, and it is certainly disturbing the peace.

(Cops, please find some way to stop these loonies, before the entire thing gets out of hand!)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 11:59 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

Amen

<i#ve discussed that with dys personally this morning.

Additionally to what has been said I think that this shows a lot about those people: they show an attitude like those in the medieval ages and before: when you destroy a written word (or picture), you destroyed the complete evil behind it.
[Thus, we lost in Europe thousands of artefacts in 16th century.]
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
There will always be groups and rumors of groups coming up with bad ideas that result in nasty actions. I think they just want some more attention. Why not try giving them none.

How many times did we see those "Neo Nazis" marching, marching while shouting some idiocy. Well, where are they now?

So, now a new group wants to burn the Koran? What if nobody shows up to take pictures? I wish. Maybe Jerry Springer will feature these religious nuts on a very special show. Good idea, Springer invites them on his show, they inform those who watch why they hate the Koran. Muslims have great respect for Jesus' teachings. That's enough to know, for me.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 01:19 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

How many times did we see those "Neo Nazis" marching, marching while shouting some idiocy. Well, where are they now?

You are not seriously questioning this, aren't you? (But might well be that they are fortunately [?] only a silent minority in the USA)
Lash

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:08 pm
Hopefully, they read. Perhaps Petraeus' words about causing more harm for our own guys in Afghanistan will cause them to cancel the book burning. I don't know how people could live with themselves knowing their mean-spirited photo op directly caused our troops in greater danger.
littlek

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:13 pm
@dyslexia,
As I just said on facebook, Dove World Outreach Center needs a new name. Also, the article I read said that dozens of local holy places would be supporting Islam on the same day as a counter to this buffoon.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I agree with Walter that neonazi-ism is an ongoing phenomenon. I'm not up to date on levels of it here in the US, and where in the US over the years, but see it as a continuing attractant with followers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:36 pm
@littlek,
Ok, good.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
Why dont they have a Saudi Arabian flag burning day instead ?
0 Replies