55
   

Are there any peaceful muslim nations?

 
 
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:55 am
Somebody remarked to me over the weekend that you can look at the entire globe, and anywhere you find the majority as muslim, you will find that country has had a long standing internal war between groups. Essentially, anywhere there's muslims, brutal killings, internal war and opression is woven into the fabric of daily life. Is this true or are there peaceful muslim nations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 55 • Views: 122,279 • Replies: 1,646

 
timberlandko
 
  8  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:14 am
You're proceeding from a logical falacy ... the one has nothing to do with the other. How many Catholic nations would pass your test? Not too many in Latin America, not Spain or Ireland, nor Greece, Cyprus, or Malta. How many nations populated predominantly by those of Sub-Sahara African descent would pass your test? Not too many anywhere. How many current or former Communist nations could pass your test? Not very many there, either, are there? How many Asian nations would pass your test, or Third World nations, or emergent democracies?

What you've got there is a prejudice, not a premis.
Rick d Israeli
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 11:52 am
Very well said timberlandko.
0 Replies
 
MyOwnUsername
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 11:56 am
excellent point timber.
and, by the way, there are plenty of peaceful islamic nations - Qatar, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Bahrein, Tunisia...

By the way, timber, Malta is fine, why you mentioned them Confused I mean, I know your point and it's excellent one as I said, but you confused me Smile
Ibn kumuna
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
My Two Cents
If we listen very closely we can identify a similar line of rhetoric that the Muslim (or so-called?) terrorists employ and the former vulgar Marxists employed. Both of them (Muslim and Marxist) argue vehemently for an establishment of a utopian, Hegelian state. I believe what we have here is a nationalist phenomenon that was prevalent in the Cold War, but reincarnated itself into religion (Islam). (Religion is more concrete and has more substance than, say, secular nationalism)

--Ibn
0 Replies
 
timberlandko
 
  3  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:37 pm
Well, the Maltese have been fairly respectable and quiet for the last couple hundred years or so, at least since they evicted Bonapart and joined the British Commonwealth, but you never know .... :wink: Laughing
0 Replies
 
no logo
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
Hey Timber what about Malaysia - that's peaceful Muslim nation. Certianly far less crime than the United States - which u certainly couldn't call peaceful.
timberlandko
 
  2  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:08 pm
Jemaah Islamiyah, Abu Sayyaf and Google ... give it a shot, no logo. I'd be curious, too, to see valid, comprehensive, objective statistics showing Malaysia's overall crime rate compared to that of The US ... or the overall crime rate of The US as compared to just about any other nation. Overall crime rate, mind you ... not limited to a few specific categories. There are plenty of places on the planet where one has a far greater chance of being kidnapped or mugged or raped or murdered than in The US ... not that that has squat to do either with ideology or theology.
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
there is a different price for crime, too. while here you may or may not go to prison, in sri lanka (just an example, i actually have no real clue) they may cut your hand off, for example, so you'd think twice. hard and unfair to compare. i opt for higher crime rate in such case.
0 Replies
 
no logo
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:25 pm
Hey Timber,

CIA, US Army, NSA, Google give it a shot. The crime rate in the US is so bad becuase of the way the blacks are treated.
0 Replies
 
Adrian
 
  3  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:29 pm
Might be a little surprised by what you find timber.

USA has the 8th highest crime rate per capita.

First mainly Muslim country on the list would be Tunisia at number 40.

Source.

It's worth noting though, that crime statistics can say more about the willingness to report crime than anything else.
0 Replies
 
timberlandko
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:57 pm
Wouldn't be surprised a bit, Adrian ... I'm pretty familiar with the stats. You're comment re "willingness to report" bears consideration, too, as does the willingness, and capability, of the legal establishment to follow up on reports. Much of what occupies the desk and pavement time of Western World law enforcement never gets into the system in some places.

no logo, The US is no more nor less perfect than most other countries ... just richer, more powerful, more stable, more envied, and more attractive to would-be immigrants than any other.
0 Replies
 
Portal Star
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:04 am
the Islamic religion is not a peaceful one, so if the muslim nation is peaceful it probably isn't interpreting it's religion properly.
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  2  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
Islamic religion itself is no more violent than Christian religion. Bible has passages that ok slavery, subordination of women, or violent punishments. Lots of wars and crusades were waged in the name of the bible. It is all in people's heads and hearts. The fact that most Christian societies gave up on warring with each other and adopted democratic practices stems from their social, economic and cultural transformations. Quran is peaceful when interpreted by peace-desiring people. And there are many islamic pacifists. Also many moslims writing about and striving for democracy and human rights.
Ibn kumuna
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:49 am
Reply
Portal Star wrote:
the Islamic religion is not a peaceful one, so if the muslim nation is peaceful it probably isn't interpreting it's religion properly.


Sugary nonsense!
0 Replies
 
Rick d Israeli
 
  2  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:19 pm
< Sits back and watches how another never-ending discussion is starting >
0 Replies
 
Portal Star
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:06 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Islamic religion itself is no more violent than Christian religion. Bible has passages that ok slavery, subordination of women, or violent punishments. Lots of wars and crusades were waged in the name of the bible. It is all in people's heads and hearts. The fact that most Christian societies gave up on warring with each other and adopted democratic practices stems from their social, economic and cultural transformations. Quran is peaceful when interpreted by peace-desiring people. And there are many islamic pacifists. Also many moslims writing about and striving for democracy and human rights.


I didn't say anything about the bible being peaceful. I don't consider it to be as violent as the Quaran. I certainly don't consider certain sects of buddhism to be violent. These are things that can be compared. Jesus wanted his followers to "turn the other cheek." Muhammed wants to use force to convert others to what he considers the true religion.

The Quaran repeatedly and expressly tells its followers to murder and go to war for various reasons. This is why it is not peaceful. Have you ever read the Quaran?
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
Yes I did and I do not see it the way you do at all.
0 Replies
 
Ibn kumuna
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
Portal Star wrote:

I didn't say anything about the bible being peaceful. I don't consider it to be as violent as the Quaran. I certainly don't consider certain sects of buddhism to be violent. These are things that can be compared. Jesus wanted his followers to "turn the other cheek." Muhammed wants to use force to convert others to what he considers the true religion. ?


What about the Old Testament?

Portal Star wrote:
The Quaran repeatedly and expressly tells its followers to murder and go to war for various reasons. This is why it is not peaceful. Have you ever read the Quaran?


Yes! And again, like others, you synchronistically read the Quran on militarialistic terms.
0 Replies
 
QKid
 
  1  
Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:57 pm
portal,

Can u show me the verses from the Quran where it is so violent? The ones u are talking about on this post. I want to see that you make statements with its evidence. Or else, everyone should believe me when I say I ate breakfast with Elvis at my home.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Are there any peaceful muslim nations?
Copyright © 2017 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 02/25/2017 at 12:04:46