On the wings of a snow-white dove

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:44 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I do not know you well enough to know when you are being sattirical unless it is blatantly obvious as it has been on other threads. This is a very serious issue and not one that I thought you would be making light of. It seems that people are rather upset about this issue, with good cause. You can call me a dingbat if you so wish. Doesn't make it so.
subtlety is my middle name.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:32 pm
All this reminds me of Savonarola, he of the bonfires of vanities - he was burned himself in the same piazza about five years later, a working example of what goes around, comes around, and also that it is dumb to play with fire.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 11:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Ida swore it was Stanley...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 03:41 am
Burning the Koran by Christians is just as insensitive as building a Mosque near ground Zero.
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:14 am
@Ionus,
"Freedoms for all" except Muslims. eh?

You have no ******* idea about what you are speaking ANUS
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:23 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

actually dingbat, I'm using satire (re-phrasing) comments I heard repeated endlessly about muslims. It's not my problem that you can't grasp satire.

IRFRANK wrote:

I'm thinking that mainstream "christians" need to prevent this act from happening or they're all equally culpable. Speaking out against it isn't enough! They must prevent the extremism or forever live with the rath that follows.

I fall into that trap often. There are many acts performed by "Christians" that seem very un christ like to me. But, who am I to judge? We have freedom in this country, freedom to burn books and piss others off. I do wonder why some Christian leaders don't speak out against poor behavior in the name of Christ. Their silence seems like tacit approval. They seem very quick with the forgiveness stick with their own, and a bit slow with others.

Equally culpable seems a bit over the top though. How would you suggest they prevent this behavior?

Hello Frank. I don't believe we've met. I was joining dys in satirizing the parallels between Christians who say that radical Muslims represent all of Islam and yet distance themselves from the radical elements of their own faith. Christians oftentimes expect moderate Muslims to "control" the behaviors of the radical elements of Islam or bear the burden of association. They seldom expect the same of themselves.

I expect Christians to control Christian nut cases about as effectively as I expect Muslims to control Muslim nut cases - not at all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:05 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

I do not know you well enough to know when you are being sattirical unless it is blatantly obvious as it has been on other threads. This is a very serious issue and not one that I thought you would be making light of. It seems that people are rather upset about this issue, with good cause. You can call me a dingbat if you so wish. Doesn't make it so.
subtlety is my middle name.
I shall keep that in mind.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:30 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Not according to the New Testament as I understand it, Joe. Jesus said love our enemies and pray for them. He didn't say a thing about doing something that is going to provoke them to anger.

Jesus said a lot of things, many of them contradictory. Jesus said love thy enemies, God said smite my enemies. Which is the true Christian message?

Arella Mae wrote:
And, did you read the article about that pastor today? I am trying to find it on the net again but haven't yet. It seems this Pastor was put out of another church for spending church money for his own use. I read it at work and I'll post the link as soon as I find it.

That just makes him a flawed human being. Remember, let him who is without sin...
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:34 am
@joefromchicago,
Gospel of Thomas (One of those books that didnt make the cut), Jesus had over 100 sayings of a warlike and violent nature

"Kickest thou thy enemy in his pistachios"

Lotta people dont know that one.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:50 am
@farmerman,
Another saying: I'm the leader of this cult; don't piss me off or I will extend your life to four hundred and thirty years and one month and fourteen hours and seven minutes in hell.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:54 am
interesting when one considers the internet as a means of communication, I must wonder what it might lead to;

Quote:
Hosting company Rackspace shut down the Dove World Outreach Center's website last night, because it broke its acceptable use policy.

Pastor Terry Jones is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame thanks to plans for an International Burn the Koran Day to mark the anniversary of 9/11. Jones also plans to burn copies of the Talmud.

Jones's website had disappeared by this morning, UK time. Videos of Jones ranting are still available on YouTube - but haven't been updated this year.

Dan Goodgame, a spokesman for Rackspace, told the Reg: "We have over 100,000 customers and do not track what each of them has on their websites. But we do respond to complaints. We had a complaint that this site was promoting anti-Islamic hate speech, we investigated and agreed that it breached our acceptable use policy.

"We got in touch with them both by phone and email to warn them to remove the content, or find another hosting company. They did not remove the content so at midnight last night we shut them down."
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:57 am
@dyslexia,
And supposedly his insurance company canceled his insurance resulting in the bank calling in his mortgage.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:01 am
It's my understanding that the bell has been rung and cannot be un-rung. the "news" of the intended koran burning is already universal leading to the beginnings of hostile responses which will escalate regardless of the actual koran burning or media coverage.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:02 am
Jon Stewart weighs in

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-8-2010/weekend-at-burnies?xrs=eml_tds
dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:04 am
even more interesting, at this moment I am watching the telly coverage and the FBI is inside the "dove koran burning church" apparently meeting with the pastor. What possible role could the FBI have?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
@dyslexia,
I read an article which describes the fact that many Muslims don't understand how our freedom of speech laws work, don't understand that Obama can't just order this guy not to do it. Instead, they believe that we as a nation are consciously supporting these insults by not blocking them.

As you said, the damage is done...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
@dyslexia,
The FBI may be advising the pastor about death threats against him.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:15 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

The FBI may be advising the pastor about death threats against him.
ah yes, I hadn't considered that; good point.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:26 am
@JPB,
ROFL
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 11:33 am
Quote:
INTERPOL issues global alert for increased terror threat if Koran burning in US goes ahead as planned
(Interpol Media Release, September 9, 2010)

LYON, France – INTERPOL has today issued a global alert to its 188 member countries following the request of Pakistan’s Minister of the Interior, and its own determination, that if the proposed Koran burning by a pastor in the US goes ahead as planned, there is a strong likelihood that violent attacks on innocent people would follow.

Minister Rehman Malik personally contacted INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble to engage the world police body’s assistance in warning law enforcement of the increased terrorist threat if plans reported by the media to burn the holy book were carried out on Saturday’s anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

“One of INTERPOL’s primary functions is to prevent crime, and given that we have been made aware of a significant threat to public safety – an assessment which we share – it is our duty to ensure that we pass this information on to law enforcement agencies around the globe so that they can take appropriate measures,” said INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.

“Although there are currently no specific details as to what forms of terror attacks would follow, what is clear is if the Koran burning goes ahead as planned, there will be tragic consequences, ones which may well claim the lives of many innocent people,” added Mr Noble.

INTERPOL has circulated Pakistan’s warning and its own alert to all National Central Bureaus around the world, and also has requested that any country receiving information about a potential threat to public safety contact INTERPOL’s General Secretariat headquarters immediately.

“September 11 is a day when the world should come together to redouble our efforts to prevent and fight terrorism, not a day when any individual, especially an American, should engage in provocative acts that will give terrorists propaganda intended to convert September 11 from a day of remembrance, to one of recruitment for terrorists and others inspired to attack the US and other western targets,” stressed Secretary General Noble.

“Pakistan’s actions in contacting INTERPOL to ensure that potentially vital information in helping police identify and prevent any form of terror attack is circulated worldwide are to be commended, and the reaction of INTERPOL and others around the world in response to this planned hateful act should be seen by the Muslim community as strong evidence that this man and his small congregation stand alone,” concluded Secretary General Noble.

In addition to circulating any related information to NCBs, staff at INTERPOL’s 24-hour Command and Co-ordination Centre at the General Secretariat Headquarters will be placed on alert and be asked to treat with urgency any information related to potential criminal conduct linked to the burning of the Koran.
0 Replies