Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

CowDoc

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 11:04 pm
@CowDoc,
.....and perhaps a sweet potato pie......
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:51 am
@CowDoc,
Israelis eat more pounds of turkey per capita then Americans.
jespah

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:53 am
@realjohnboy,
What an interesting stat.

Today's menu is turkey, gravy, mashed taters, roasted sweet potatoes, salad, mixed veg, stuffed mushrooms, a few Craisins (failed to buy cranberries, ewps) and smoothies. No stuffing (although I love it) as the day is already heavily carbo-riffic. Just the two of us this year.

Hugs to all.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:11 am
@jespah,
Happy Thanksgiving feasts to all who are celibate.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:12 am
@realjohnboy,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_country_eats_the_most_turkey_per_capita
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:23 am
The BBC website this morning has two quizzes re Thanksgiving. One is easy (I got 10 of 10) and the other is difficult (I got 7 of 10 with some lucky guesses).
The thing about turkey consumption in Israel was on the latter quiz. Pork, of course, is taboo and beef is too land intensive. Hence, turkey.
Did you know that Minnesota raises more turkeys than any other state, followed by NC and VA?
Did you know it is 7 degrees in Salmon, Idaho this morning where Miz C is about to make her picks?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:05 am
Happy Thanksgiving Day fellow pickers!
(of the US variety)
We're hosting this year and the chaos is underway!
I'm off in search of balsamic vinegar.
Ragman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:17 am
@George,
I'm driving up Rt 28 (past Spot Pond) to George and passing over my bottle of Balsamic.
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:44 am
@realjohnboy,
New England
New Orleans
Jets
Giants
Pitts
Washington
Cleveland
Green Bay
Tenn
KC
Oakland
Philly
St. Louis
Baltimore
Indy

Air 27 - 21
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:19 am
3 games spread over about 12 hours today, with perhaps an hour in between to eat and eat some more.
3 games times 23 players' picks = 69 in all. We start the day very amicably, agreeing with each other 62-7.
In the 1st game, only Alex has Detroit. He always picks the Lions.
Tico, Jespah, Cowdoc and Rhys choose the Cowboys against the Saints and George and Rhys hate the Jets so much that they are going with the Bengals in the night game.
CoinToss sits in the corner, examining the quarter for flaws. CT has Detroit, Dallas and Cincy.

When I was a lad, the Thanksgiving gathering, often held at our house, was so big that the adults would eat in the dining room while the children had a table in the kitchen. Cousins, inexplicably afflicted with such hard laughter that gravy blew out our noses.
I don't know at what age someone would get promoted from the kitchen to the dining room. My older brother made it at perhaps 13 or so, getting a half glass of wine and getting to hear our uncle John (for whom I am named) tell his long and often ribald stories.
By the time I would have been eligible the grandparents had died, there had been a couple of divorces and some westward migration had put distance between us. There were empty chairs in the dining room.
spendius

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:35 am
@realjohnboy,
That must have been at least a partial relief. Relatives are like folk on a bus--you don't get to pick um.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 02:21 pm
Detroit hung in for a half and a bit. But now NE is romping. 38-24 mid-way through the 4th quarter. Brady with 340 yds and 4 TD's.
spendius

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
Hey up!! I noticed that the National Advisory Board Chair of the Salvation Army, Ms Pamela Anderson, was sat in the VIP seats, in all her finery, accompanied by 3 lieutenantesses, "watching" the Saints/Cowboys game.

One might have thought they would have been manning the soup kitchens in deprived areas on behalf of those who are not so fortunate in life as they obviously are on a day of national thanksgiving, which seems, if some posts I've read are to be believed, to be a day of gluttonous self indulgence and to be inexorably followed, on the causality principle so beloved of our scientific fraternity, and biology being such an important science, by a day of emptying out by way of which the parts of the appetizer tarts of caramelized onions and gorgonzola; the small turkey without stuffing flavored with ginger, which is naff these days, not PC I mean, the onions and fresh herbs, the homemade baguettes with herbed olive oil, the green beans amandine, the homemade apple-cranberry chutney and pumpkin pie made from a fresh New Jersey cheese pumpkin, well --you wouldn't a melon from Juarez half rotten would you-- ( apologies for using "pumkin" twice in the same sentence, and "onion") , the homemade caramel for flavoring (using New England sugar pumpkins (sorry) with molasses) and the butter crust, which the bodies are unable to find a use for are compacted in the bowel and lower colon and eased, hopefully, from the anal sphincter, or the nipsy in English, into the safe hands, ahem!, of the Waste Disposal Agencies, the valiant and noble services of which are rewarded by salaries far more economically efficient than of those who sit around discussing blood clotting in chiclids and the bacterium flagellum's congruence with a stop-cock, if our ladies will forgive such an expression, in order to prove that adultery, divorce, abortion and such like are perfectly respectable modes of behaviour and that the Pope is talking out of his arse.
spendius

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:14 pm
I don't suppose there's much point in watching CBS News tonight. I expect Katie is patronising you all to **** on behalf of the advertisers to whom she is so obliged.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:22 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
One might have thought they would have been manning the soup kitchens in deprived areas on behalf of those who are not so fortunate in life as they obviously are on a day of national thanksgiving, which seems, if some posts I've read are to be believed, to be a day of gluttonous self indulgence and to be inexorably followed, on the causality principle so beloved of our scientific fraternity, and biology being such an important science, by a day of emptying out by way of which the parts of the appetizer tarts of caramelized onions and gorgonzola; the small turkey without stuffing flavored with ginger, which is naff these days, not PC I mean, the onions and fresh herbs, the homemade baguettes with herbed olive oil, the green beans amandine, the homemade apple-cranberry chutney and pumpkin pie made from a fresh New Jersey cheese pumpkin, well --you wouldn't a melon from Juarez half rotten would you-- ( apologies for using "pumkin" twice in the same sentence, and "onion") , the homemade caramel for flavoring (using New England sugar pumpkins (sorry) with molasses) and the butter crust, which the bodies are unable to find a use for are compacted in the bowel and lower colon and eased, hopefully, from the anal sphincter, or the nipsy in English, into the safe hands, ahem!, of the Waste Disposal Agencies, the valiant and noble services of which are rewarded by salaries far more economically efficient than of those who sit around discussing blood clotting in chiclids and the bacterium flagellum's congruence with a stop-cock, if our ladies will forgive such an expression, in order to prove that adultery, divorce, abortion and such like are perfectly respectable modes of behaviour and that the Pope is talking out of his arse.
I beleieve that this is all one sentence. I concluded therefore, that the gent hs been taking M&M s instead of his meds.

I am sorry for intervening on behlf of readers . The ole guy has been engaged in several rants at other posters on the Evolution thread, me included. SO, in order to save any additional thinking he merely rolled up the thoughts from thosen posts and recycled em here.
But I never thought hed try to do it in one sentence. I beleiev you ought to give him some points for the week, just for the hutz.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
is this about the condom thing...?

i'm confused.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:29 pm
@Rockhead,
I missed the condom thing . Forget it, if spendi wrote it, I can almost recreate the post without any reading.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 06:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Brady with 340 yds and 4 TD's
he had a perfect passer rating of 158.3...

nawlins-dallas going down to the wire...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 07:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
wow.

a 59 yard miss.

imagine that...

geaux saints.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 07:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Indeed. A 59 yard FG attempt that, surprise, didn't work out for Dallas.

I can't (but maybe I can) write a 450 word sentence like Spendius did that says nothing. I might work on that when I get home from the pub, if we had a pub, which we don't.
0 Replies