Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:32 am
@farmerman,
Who's the chicken?

I have seriously thought about my picking vs the spread. That actually requires a lot of strategery (tnx for that word Dubyah) and some luck. Of course being successful and hailing from Sicily can't hurt, as those odds-makers are part of organized crime. I seem to recall that if you have slightly better than a 50% record you're considered good, yes?

Wow I just googled some journalist spread-pickers, and some of these guys have 65% correct (not vs the spread) and .518 (vs the spread) collectively.

One of the best is Clark Judge - CBSSports.com Senior writer
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:42 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
This probably will throw a monkey wrench in some of Spendius' theorizing.

Nah osso! It merely confirms what I already thought from my time on A2K which is that Yank dudes are all talk. They drop brilliantine words, as Sterne called them, into their pontifications to flag-up their importance and they don't know what any of them mean. They say things like "Evolution is like Quantum Theory and Relativity and should be taught in science classes" and they don't know what evolution, Quantum Theory, Relativity, Science, taught and classes mean in reality. It's using the vocal chords in a similar manner as ten-gallon hats are used and high-heel boots. And evolution is not in the least like Quantum Theory or Relativity either.

When stumped they say "You're a gobshite", or "you're talking out of your nipsy", or " you're a gobshite", or "you're drunk again". I presume it reassures them. If you get them really petulant that put you on Ignore and tell everybody else it's because you're a trolling asshole just here to trash the conversation. And they go on and on and on about it and try to persuade others to "be just like them".

At $1 a quote I'll find 50,000 examples.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:48 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
BTW, kudos also goes to BillW, the actual percentage winner; however, he wasn't the official winner, as he only played for 4 or 5 games of the season.

Yeah--when the form had settled down.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You should start playing the spreads, thatll separate the tourists from the fanboys.

It would be too much work for rjb and he's already hard pressed. I think it would put the experts at an even greater advantage.

You should stop telling people who are obviously content with what they are doing to make changes. It's an abiding fault you have fm.

If you will post the spreads for the Superbowl knock-outs I'll go head-to-head with you. Who loses least at $1 a point the winner. We can't really expect to win, especially not over a season, otherwise the bookies would go bust and that would be no good. Bookies and women are the mainstays of existence whatever you might say about them.

Kissing and fighting as Frank Harris said. Walmart and Wall Street are bookies. Spread is just profit margin.

It's an exciting way to bet though.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:16 am
@Ragman,
The only aspect of "organised crime" which needs to be considered is match fixing. If that is ruled out everything is fair and above board.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:37 am
@spendius,
Quote:
When stumped they say "You're a gobshite", or "you're talking out of your nipsy", or " you're a gobshite",

Nope, I don't think the N'or easterners will be using this British talk -
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:38 am
@spendius,
Quote:
@Ragman,

Quote:
BTW, kudos also goes to BillW, the actual percentage winner; however, he wasn't the official winner, as he only played for 4 or 5 games of the season.

Yeah--when the form had settled down.

Damn, does this mean I have to give back all my winnings? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:40 am
You know spendius, I think you ought to pull that corn cob outs your butt and take life a little more cheerfully!
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:45 am
@BillW,
How do you know if you've never had a corn cob up your butt?

I notice that you edited your post to take account of one of the loveliest words in the language having been stolen and it's meaning reversed by a group of people who never shut up about their "rights".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:48 am
@Ragman,
The chicken was a strategy used by one of the networks (ESPN?) They had a chicken peck out the winners from a doublet of each game played that week.
I have a small flock of Aracaunas and (not to debauche them into the seemy woprld of gambling degenerates), but I could let on eo f mine pick the winners and Ill she could do as well as you (or nyone).

PLaying against the spread does take some strategy because the devil is in the close games where the spread isnt made or the winning team isnt really the payoff team. The fact that the mob has made this a perfectly enjoyable vice is ok with me. I played several cards this year and came into the money only once. My last card, where I bet against the eagles, didnt win me anything because the spread cost me.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:49 am
@BillW,
BTW Bill--I always find that people who go on about how happy and cheerful they are often look quite like your avvie.
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 01:09 pm
@spendius,
That's fine, I always find that people who act like they suck, really suck! So, go figure.........

BTW, I edited out - "gaily" because it is British and most young people in America do not understand the prior history of the word. And, it wasn't taken over by a group of people, word usage is not determined by one or a group - it is determined by the whole.
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:12 pm
@farmerman,
Chicken scratching? Interesting concept for match-picking. Of course, had anyone seen my handwriting, you'd see a similarity. Take a look at my keyboarding skills and you get the general idea.

Quite looking forward to the playoffs this w/e and the eventual Super Bowl. Cripes it takes forever! I promise not to tip my hand so soon but I know who I'm picking to be in the SB and win it. Hint: my avatar is named after him. (Not so clear about who will be NFC entry but some of those birds are dirty.)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:16 pm
@BillW,
The word was foisted on the "whole" by media friends of the movement. The new meaning has nothing to do with being cheerful as it once did.
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:32 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The new meaning has nothing to do with being cheerful as it once did.
actually, it was.

And,
Quote:
The word was foisted on the "whole" by media friends of the movement.
no it wasn't - but, I won't agrue with a fool.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 02:47 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
no it wasn't - but, I won't agrue with a fool.

You might make the case rather than rely on an assertion reinforced with an insult. Such things don't mean anything to me. If they do to you what can anybody say?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 03:51 pm
Big day for me! I shredded the 30 pages in my "pick-um" notebook.
Thanks to everyone for playing this year (if anyone is still here). See you next season, assuming the NFL labor dispute gets worked out.
Bye.
(ps: don't forget to join us on the Super Bowl thread).
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for all you've done, it is considerable.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yup! Excellent job.

Playing Playoff Pick-'em Pleases People Plenty
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
Here I am...at last found you!