I Am Outraged and You Should Be Too!

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:35 am
I am sure most of you have heard about the woman who killed her two children yesterday and then rolled the car off a boatramp? This article seems to do nothing but excuse "that poor woman because she got in a fight with her momma, etc!"

What about those two babies? Their mother smothered them and they were well aware of it! Smothering someone takes time and it is very painful. Where is the "those poor children" in that article?

I am totally outraged by it! How do you feel about it?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/17/south.carolina.children.deaths/index.html?hpt=T1

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:45 pm
I have to say I am quite puzzled as to why no one has any comments?
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm not surprised. Every rational person in the world feels the exact same way about it.

I didn't really get the "poor, poor pitiful me" aspect from the article that you picked up. I actually kind of respect any journalist that presents the facts without sensationalizing and editorializing.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:26 pm
@boomerang,
It just seemed like they were making excuses for her. Now the sherriff is saying "she was overwhelmed". I mean come on! This woman smothered her two babies with her bare hands!
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:34 pm
@Arella Mae,
I understand what you're saying but really, what do you expect the sherrif to say in his/her professional capacity?

Do you expect him to make a clinical diagosis (She's batshit crazy? A psychopath? Depressed?)

Do you expect him/her to make a value judgement? (She a mean bitch?)

Don't you think if s/he made such comments to the press that her attorney would have a field day with it when the trial started?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:41 pm
I forgot to add -- I don't underestimate the power of overwhelmed.

I think every crime of passion is a result of being, at least temporarily, overwhelmed.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:46 pm
@boomerang,
I do understand what you are saying Boomerang and I tend to agree up to a point. Personally, I think the sherriff needs to keep those comments to himself. I know people are innocent until proven guilty but since when does law enforcement "seem" to offer an excuse? Remember when Andrea Yates killed her kids? Or Susan Smith? Or Darly Routiere? There was total outrage! And everyone knew that Andrea Yates was a very mentally disturbed woman.

Maybe I am more outraged than I should be. I just can't get past she smothered them with her bare hands and those poor babies knew who was hurting them.
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:58 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm sure if you turn on the gasbags on the "news" channels you'll find plenty of outrage.

If you go back and look at the Smith/Yates/anybody clips that include spokespeople form the police force, etc. that you won't see a lot of outrage. They know better than to poison the pool of jurors.

I'm outraged that anyone could do that to their kids. Every day I'm outraged at what people do to their kids. That's one of the reasons I can no longer stand to watch the news, especially the 24 hour opinion "news".

I'm outraged by the mother's actions but I'm comforted by the response of local law enforcement if what you're posting is true (and I'll assume it is because I'm not going to watch the news).
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@Arella Mae,
As she is a very unattractive black woman she might even get the death penalty.

If you going to drown your own children if likely to help if you are a fairly good looking white woman such as Susan Smith.

It going to be interesting to see what the jury will end up doing in this case.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:31 pm
@BillRM,
What does her looks or color have to do with anything? NOTHING!
boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
It actually has a lot to do with how she'll be viewed by the jury.

Sad but true.

Look at the statistics on sentencing between blacks and whites then ask a black person if it doesn't matter.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:39 pm
@boomerang,
especially in South Carolina.

(they are already asking God to take it easy on her)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

@boomerang,
It is a sad thing. Color shouldn't make a difference. We like to think we have progressed so much and it doesn't seem we have progressed much at all concerning this.
0 Replies

BillRM

@Arella Mae,
Quote:

You kidding right?

We have a history in this country of not punishing good looking white women anywhere near a severely as others in the justice system.

One look at a picture of the lady and I said to myself she better pleas out at once.

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:03 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

You kidding right?

We have a history in this country of not punishing good looking white women anywhere near a severely as others in the justice system.

One look at a picture of the lady and I said to myself she better pleas out at once.

It's gonna be a bit difficult for her to plea since she has already confessed. Am I kidding? No. Am I naive? Maybe. I believe in the innocent until proven guilty system. I don't believe a person's looks, color, wealth, etc. should have anything to do with determining their guilt or not. I know it happens but it sure shouldn't!
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:17 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
It's gonna be a bit difficult for her to plea since she has already confessed. Am I kidding? No. Am I naive? Maybe. I believe in the innocent until proven guilty system. I don't believe a person's looks, color, wealth, etc. should have anything to do with determining their guilt or not. I know it happens but it sure shouldn't!

What should and should not happen or be is kind of beside the point.

And yes she still can plea out as killing is not one crime it is a range of crimes and she still or her lawyer can still made a deal.

For one thing a full blown capital murder trial can cost millions and that is a consideration for a small county for example.

Once more justice should not have a price tag but it in fact it sometimes does.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

What should and should not happen or be is kind of beside the point.

And yes she still can plea out as killing is not one crime it is a range of crimes and she still or her lawyer can still made a deal.

For one thing a full blown capital murder trial can cost millions and that is a consideration for a small county for example.

Once more justice should not have a price tag but it in fact it sometimes does.

I wasn't very clear and I apologize. Anything she pleads to is going to have to be murder. I don't think it's too likely they will reduce the charges. She confessed and I don't see anyway around that.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I wasn't very clear and I apologize. Anything she pleads to is going to have to be murder. I don't think it's too likely they will reduce the charges. She confessed and I don't see anyway around that.

More then likely then however it is still likely not to be as straight forward as you are assuming.

A good lawyer will raised questions concerning her confession being valid or no given her mental state at the time it was given.

You also have such questions of her mental health history what drugs she might have been under and on and on an on................

If she for example is a bi-polar personality and under treatment for that condition with powerful mind altering medication then that could mudded the water.

We do not know enough yet to reach any conclusion confession or no confession.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:39 am
She wanted to be free? She killed her children because she wanted to be free????? Lord have mercy.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/17/mother.southcarolina/index.html?hpt=T1
wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:12 am
@Arella Mae,
In a perfect world there is no need for empathy, but this is not a perfect world.