Moderators Needed for the New Philosophy Forum Group on A2K

GoshisDead

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:38 pm
Zeth is right, a good many of us do not have phil degrees or any specific training in phil. I have no training in phil but find it very entertaining. It was a good place to go for stimulating conversation and to learn from those who know more, or at least know differently. This place as well has had threads very much worth reading with people very much worth learning from. I, personally would have a much easier time doing that in a more moderated series of threads.
Zetherin

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:42 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
I, personally would have a much easier time doing that in a more moderated series of threads.

Same here.

There are quite a few intelligent posters here at A2K, and I hope at least some of them venture into the new group when it opens. Again, and this is addressed to everyone: Don't create a false dilemma where you think you have to choose one place or the other!
djjd62

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:50 pm
@Zetherin,
could i be an immoderator, i'll make sure the out of control threads don't stray into any areas of sensibility
Zetherin

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:55 pm
@djjd62,
Sure, just send me a PM detailing why you'd make a good immoderator, and I'll be sure not to take you into consideration.
djjd62

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:00 pm
@Zetherin,
i think my posting speak for themselves Razz

but seriously, looking forward to seeing the new digs
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:05 pm
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
, a good many of us do not have phil degrees or any specific training in phil.

Gee-- I'm flabbergasted. Whoodathouwtit?

I offered my "Are the Pussy whipped egotistical"? idea as a test to see if there were any signs of life in those brain parts not associated with things like scratching itches. As it has been Ignored I have decided to bring a less controversial matter up for your reverences consideration. Which brand of biscuit is superior to all others--

1-When dunked in your Horlicks or

2-When eaten straight out of the packet?

It's a multiple choice quiz.

I'll start the ball rolling to help you all get into the swing of it by saying, at the outset, so that no false impressions are created, that I consider that McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestive Biscuits dunked in Horlicks would have so entranced Plato and Socrates, not Diogenes of course, who was a fundie Stoic, that they would have been too busy scoffing them to allow any time for discoursing on lesser subjects despite them being so fascinating.

ossobuco

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:09 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Back to topic. I can readily see why the PhiloForum folks have need of moderation. I hope they get what they need.

Zetherin seems to be the most cool headed and straight up poster that I have seen from that group. I am sure that there are many more.

I've seen several, even many. Jgweed, for example, and Gosh is Dead, Zeth, Wayne, all of them and more that I am not naming, in my experience so far. Mmm, what happened to Steve?
Not that I am ms. perfect.

But, I think Pf loonies could square dance with earlier a2k loonies (who being whom, another whole game).

On a2k, you get to recognize people. Some do short jibes into subjects and rarely carry that further. Some crave a rondelay of pages of tangent with intent to distract.
Some like digressions as occasionally more interesting than the original question and don't mean for the original question to be occluded. Some promote one point of view wherever possible at all.

Some many are learning to make arguments "out loud", however old we are.
Me, I wasn't allowed to sass in my family. It's been something of a haul over the years to gather my wits and talk back. Sometimes I over-talk back.

I'm fine with both modes existing.

Be well, y'all.

0 Replies

Zetherin

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:12 pm
spendius wrote:
As it has been Ignored...

I'm sure that's something you've grown accustomed to.
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@spendius,
mmmm, McVitie's Milk Chocolate Digestive Biscuits, can get them occasionally this side of the pond, usually have to settle for plain though (still good, best digestive that i know of)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:15 pm
@Zetherin,
And at least a few people on the earlier a2k were philo majors, or are otherwise very versed.

Thanks for that acknowledgement, I was beginning to wonder.

0 Replies

chad3006

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

maybe we could also have a flame war subforum in which every thread ever eventually migrates lol.

You know I was a member of a forum that had a flame war section. I'd estimate about 99% of all posts were there. If you posted something in the other sections, you could almost hear the crickets chriping.
GoshisDead

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm
@chad3006,
well i figured no matter how the thread started after a while they would all be moved to the flame war section. You know because if someone has a different opinion than I have, they are automatically stupid and such.
Arjuna

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:10 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

well i figured no matter how the thread started after a while they would all be moved to the flame war section. You know because if someone has a different opinion than I have, they are automatically stupid and such.
I totally disagree. Just kidding. I think allowing conversations to stray can be great. Sometimes it's not obvious how an idea actually does come back to the topic, you know?

Haven't you ever seen somebody say something that seemed off the wall at first, and then you realized, Hey!
spendius

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@Arjuna,
It's getting to admit their false assumptions Arji. That's the difficulty.
spendius

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@spendius,
On the strength of that I vote Arji for Modman.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Tue 17 Aug, 2010 03:10 pm
@Arjuna,
I'm not against a little digression. If a digression happens that is interesting or relevant somehow its good. Many of them spur entire new threads. Mods could help with creating new threads out of interesting digressions. Flaming is a whole other matter.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:28 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Zeth is right, a good many of us do not have phil degrees or any specific training in phil. I have no training in phil but find it very entertaining. It was a good place to go for stimulating conversation and to learn from those who know more, or at least know differently. This place as well has had threads very much worth reading with people very much worth learning from. I, personally would have a much easier time doing that in a more moderated series of threads.
Indeed Zeth is right in his describtion of the anticipatns, but he tries to make a vague conclusion which I don't agree with.
0 Replies

Caroline

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:03 am
@ossobuco,
I wasn't blaming ak2ers, I think think the majority are nice people. The reason I responded to spendi is because he insulted a friend of mine whilst I was talking to him, maybe I should have called him a snake in the garden instead, maybe that would of caused less grievances against me.
spendius

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:04 pm
@Caroline,
I have no grievance against you Caroline. You can't help how you are. Philosophy is not for sensitive, emotional types. It's for snakes in the grass.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:31 pm
O such travesti, that the very thead that calls out for moderators is the very same that holds blatant proof of the dire need.

Beggars cant choose, gets some more mods now O A2K, this is Hell, this is benath what should be, end it!