Mosque to be Built Near Ground Zero

Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 06:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Referring to someone as a 'Jap' is like calling them a Kike or a Nigger. It is a slur used to incite anger in folks of Japanese descent.

Do you even realize that you are being offensive? Or are you just clueless?

Cycloptichorn

Kike came from the Yiddish word for "circle," since the Jews arriving at Ellis Island could not sign there names, and would not make an "X," since it looked too much like a cross. So they made a "circle." The word in Yiddish for circle is "chichel" (guttural "ch" like the correct way to pronounce Chanukah). Naturally, the workers at Ellis Island could not say circle with the guttural "ch," so it became a hard "k," meaning these Jews were the people who would sign their names with a circle, not an "X"

But, it is interesting that you give credence that the word still exists to the west of the Hudson river. I thought the current pejoratives for Jews would be less overt, like "those people." I guess anti-Semitic New Yorkers are more sophisticated than the rest of the country.
Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 06:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Um, they don't run the majority of 'Islam.' This is an evidence-free statement
Wahhabism is on the march, and has become enormously powerful. If we had any good sense we would demand that this be put down by Islam before we made any grand gestures of tolerance towards Islam. As of this moment Islams failure to so the right thing should disqualify them from erecting this planned sham ode to tolerance near Ground Zero. It is not the West's tolerance if Islam that is in Question, in light of the spread of Wahhabism it is Islams tolerance of the West that in doubt.

Quote:
There have always been two reactions in the Muslim world to an awareness of things going wrong. One is, we are falling behind the modern world; the answer therefore is to modernize, to catch up with the modern world. The other is, as we see now, what has gone wrong is that we have tried to ape the modern, i.e., infidel world and the right answer is to return to the true and authentic traditions of Islam. That was the Wahhabi line, and Wahhabism is a peculiarly violent and fanatical version of this.

This would have remained an extremist fringe in a marginal country except for the unfortunate combination of two circumstances. One was the creation of a Saudi kingdom in the mid-'20s. The House of Saud were the local tribal sheikhs of the area where the Wahhabis flourished and followed the Wahhabi faith. By creating the kingdom, controlling the holy cities of Mecca and Medina, and also therefore the pilgrimage, it gave them enormous power and influence in the Islamic world. And the other, of course, was oil and money, which gave them resources beyond the dreams of avarice.

So what you are getting now in the Muslim world, all over the Muslim world, and more particularly among the Muslim communities in non-Muslim countries is the spread of the Wahhabi version of Islam, which, as I said, is about as typical of what you might call mainstream Islam as the KKK of mainstream Christianity. Wahhabism is the major trend of that sort. There are others, the so-called Salafia. It's run along parallel lines to the Wahhabis, but they are less violent and less extreme - still violent and extreme but less so than the Wahhabis. And now, of course, also the Iranian Revolution.

http://pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/Islam-and-the-West-A-Conversation-with-Bernard-Lewis.aspx

Speaker:
Professor Bernard Lewis, Cleveland E. Dodge Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies, Princeton University

Excellent!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Referring to someone as a 'Jap' is like calling them a Kike or a Nigger. It is a slur used to incite anger in folks of Japanese descent.

Do you even realize that you are being offensive? Or are you just clueless?

Cycloptichorn

He has been told repeatedly by myself and RG. He has no excuse to play dumb.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:26 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

failures art wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

OSD, You are a little man who is one of the most ignorant on a2k. AJAs fought in the Pacific in American intelligence that ended up saving many American lives and credited with winning the war against Japan. In Europe, the AJAs 442/100th battalion was the most decorated unit of any war that America was involved in.

I had two great uncles in the 442nd. The family is quite proud of this.

A
R
T

Ah, you seem to admit that having a family, that represents one's own biological family, has a value, as opposed to the belief, in the thread about gay marriage, that such concerns were not really important. Gotcha!

Swing and a miss, Foofie. My family includes my gay cousin. I'm proud of the things he's done with his life so far as well.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
Damnit.

Reset.

Don't let Foofie and David hijack the thread to feed their ego and make themselves the center of discussion.

A
Reset
T
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:33 pm
@failures art,
Foofie believes this is a game of "gotcha." Too ignorant to understand the negative impact people like her has on American society.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:38 pm
@failures art,
Quote:

A
I think was can assume that a Mensa member using these terms does so on purpose, probably for the same reason I do, namely that we refuse to allow other people to control our speech, and because you people who are hypersensitive about terms to the point that you allow attempts to police speech to interfere with communication need to chill out and learn to prioritize.

THe days when the most squemish or most willing to play the victim gets to control everyone else are near an end.

On a lighter note I immediately thought after reading Davids post about this weeks Mad Men, when Roger tells the Honda Execs that they make "Jap crap"...that was a good line. Probably not very original though, I bet it was said a lot in the 50's and early 60's, when a lot of the stuff the Japs sent to America was out and out crap.
roger

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:47 pm
@Foofie,
Fascinating!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nobody is policing speech hawk. I couldn't take away his right to say any offensive word. I don't care to do this either. The difference here is that David pretends that these terms aren't offensive. He should grow a pair of balls. So should you. This is enough about David. Real persecution is taking place here, and I have no compassion for poor hawkeye that he is language is so "policed". Poor baby. Let's take a moment away from American Muslims to take care of the real victim.

A
R
T
Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:20 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Foofie wrote:

failures art wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

OSD, You are a little man who is one of the most ignorant on a2k. AJAs fought in the Pacific in American intelligence that ended up saving many American lives and credited with winning the war against Japan. In Europe, the AJAs 442/100th battalion was the most decorated unit of any war that America was involved in.

I had two great uncles in the 442nd. The family is quite proud of this.

A
R
T

Ah, you seem to admit that having a family, that represents one's own biological family, has a value, as opposed to the belief, in the thread about gay marriage, that such concerns were not really important. Gotcha!

Swing and a miss, Foofie. My family includes my gay cousin. I'm proud of the things he's done with his life so far as well.

A
R
T

Gotcha again! Your "gay cousin" is a DNA related relative that you value as a DNA related relative. That is my point. People do value their DNA related family, not the Mr. Potato Head family trees that married gays would develop.
Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie believes this is a game of "gotcha." Too ignorant to understand the negative impact people like her has on American society.

American society is "right of center." That is me in the middle of the group photo. The liberals are to the "left of center," outside the group photo of American society, in my opinion. You might be seeing a skewed vision of American society from your vantage point on the left coast?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:27 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie ignorance increases with every p0st; she believes none in her family chain were ever homosexual. Not only that, but she also believes all Jews believe as she does. Foofie also believes that Jews are a special culture/race that sprung up from god, and not from the primates of Africa.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:33 pm
@Foofie,
You play the same 78 rpm record as okie and ican; she believes that there's a distinct left and right party with sacrosanct agenda for both parties in the US.

In California, the republicans have rejected the conservative resolution. Try to figure out what that means concerning your idea about left and right. Try to also absorb the fact that both parties win elections for the same state, local, and national office. If your "right of center" is factual, why do both parties win elections for the same positions of government?

CLUE: It's because there is not such animal in real life as "right of center" in American society. The parties and voters are dynamic, not static, as you and some others propose and believe.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
It is amazing the chaos that one poster can create
Just so long as you are clear that there is no indication that David intended to cause chaos, the chaos was generated by a gang taking moral offense to his point of view. His statement on Hiroshima was no more outlandish than other things that he has said, like for instance if I remember correctly a few months back he said that it was morally correct to kill someone and take what they have if you think you need that something.
I did not say that and I do not believe it. The owner has the right to KEEP his property.

hawkeye10 wrote:
I am not sure why this current strange thing is taken so much differently then that was, which was to basically to brush it off. Maybe it has nothing to do with David, that the moral crusaders were itching for a victim and David happened to make himself a nice target before I or someone else did.
I was counter-attacking some liberal rudeness. Most of the time, I don 't believe in letting them get away with it.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:37 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
If you are unable to distinguish the difference, you are part of the problem....not the solution.
That is worthy of CHEERS. Liberals are bad people and thay shoud have more problems, Richard.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

A
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think was can assume that a Mensa member using these terms does so on purpose, probably for the same reason I do, namely that we refuse to allow other people to control our speech, and because you people who are hypersensitive about terms to the point that you allow attempts to police speech to interfere with communication need to chill out and learn to prioritize.
That 's a good assumption, Hawkeye.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:51 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Nobody is policing speech hawk. I couldn't take away his right to say any offensive word. I don't care to do this either.
The difference here is that David pretends that these terms aren't offensive.

He should grow a pair of balls.
Enuf to defy U, Foot Kisser!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:04 pm

For the sake of clarity,
let the record indicate that contrary to diversionary allegations,
I bear no ill will to the Japs, as a group, tho I did not think much
of what thay did in the rape of Nanking in 1937, and I was rather annoyed
at their sneak attack at Pearl Harbor; but that was properly avenged in 1945, in my opinion. That was enuf.
The Japs presently in Japan appear to be honorable and decent, so far as I am aware. I wish them well.

As to a couple of Japanese leftist clowns who chronicly choose to demean themselves
as jerks in this forum, it is another story all together
and I re-iterate and ratify my earlier assertions.

David
djjd62

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 05:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I bear no ill will to the Japs, as a group, tho I did not think much of what thay did in the rape of Nanking in 1937, and I was rather annoyed at their sneak attack at Pearl Harbor

some seemingly privileged american females of the chosen persuasion did what now Shocked

Twisted Evil

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:43 am
I don't get the last post, but am here to report that the media, like MSNBC's "Morning Joe" is still full of this issue.