Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 10:07 am
Is abortion murder?

No. Absolutely not.

It's not murder if it's not an independent person. One might argue, then, that it's not murder to end the life of any child before she reaches consciousness, but we don't know how long after birth personhood arrives for each new child, so it's completely logical to use their independence as the dividing line for when full rights are given to a new human being.

Using independence also solves the problem of dealing with premature babies. Although a preemie is obviously still only a potential person, by virtue of its independence from the mother, we give it the full rights of a conscious person. This saves us from setting some other arbitrary date of when we consider a new human being a full person. Older cultures used to set it at two years of age, or even older.

Modern religious cultures want to set it at conception, which is simply wishful thinking on their part.

But that doesn't stop religious fanatics from dumping their judgements and their anger on top of women who choose to exercise the right to control their bodies. It's the ultimate irony that people who claim to represent a loving God resort to scare tactics and fear to support their mistaken beliefs.

It's even worse when you consider that most women who have an abortion have just made the most difficult decision of their life. No one thinks abortion is a wonderful thing. No one tries to get pregnant just so they can terminate it. Even though it's not murder, it still eliminates a potential person, a potential daughter, a potential son. It's hard enough as it is. Women certainly don't need others telling them it's a murder.

It's not.

On the contrary, abortion is an absolutely moral choice for any woman wishing to control her body.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 11,991 • Replies: 105
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 10:09 am
@FedUpAmerican,
this is a "social Issue" more then a religious issue, moved
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 10:16 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Okey-Dokey :cool:
0 Replies

crackface mcgee

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 06:13 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Fed Up,

How do you define an independent person? A child outside of the womb, carried to full term? Do you think there should be restrictions on how far along in a woman's pregnancy an abortion should be allowed? 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions - partial birth abortion, dilation and extraction, whatever you want to call it - is a procedure that most Americans...including most of the women I know, strongly oppose. This is a summary of the procedure (from About.com):

Specific steps in the most commonly used partial-birth abortion procedure, Dilation and Extraction, are:

1. A medical professional induces a breech (feet first) delivery with forceps.
2. Legs, arms and torso of the fetus are delivered (i.e. expelled from the mother).
3. The back of the fetus' skull is punctured with a scissors-like instrument.
4. A suction device is inserted into the skull.
5. The device sunctions out the contents of the fetus' skull, causing the skull to collapse.
6. The lifeless fetus is delivered.

I fully agree with the ban on this. The reasons I feel this way should be obvious if you read the above description. Where do you stand?
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:20 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;35552 wrote:
Fed Up,

How do you define an independent person? A child outside of the womb, carried to full term? Do you think there should be restrictions on how far along in a woman's pregnancy an abortion should be allowed? 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions - partial birth abortion, dilation and extraction, whatever you want to call it - is a procedure that most Americans...including most of the women I know, strongly oppose. This is a summary of the procedure (from About.com):

Specific steps in the most commonly used partial-birth abortion procedure, Dilation and Extraction, are:

2. Legs, arms and torso of the fetus are delivered (i.e. expelled from the mother).
5. The device sunctions out the contents of the fetus' skull, causing the skull to collapse.

I fully agree with the ban on this. The reasons I feel this way should be obvious if you read the above description. Where do you stand?

Where I stand is it should be the case of last resort...
First of all, I believe that there are enough aids in the public arena to safely prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Second, I believe that counseling should be available to pregnant women and girls, to find out what is best for them and their condition. I say condition because , I , personally, don't believe that an embyro is human life, endowed with any rights, until it is "viable"...meaning that it can exist "outside of the mother's womb, with proper care, usually around 6th month of gestation.
Ultimately, I believe the decision to carry a embyro to term or to abort rest solely with the woman or girl, involved
See link: http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/feb/07022003.html
Third, I think abortion for any reason should be done well before this time.
The only time I believe abortion should be attempted after this time, is to preserve the life of the mother.
In any event, it should be the route of last resort.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 09:03 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;35552 wrote:
Fed Up,

How do you define an independent person? A child outside of the womb, carried to full term?

Yes I do.

Quote:

Do you think there should be restrictions on how far along in a woman's pregnancy an abortion should be allowed? 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions - partial birth abortion, dilation and extraction, whatever you want to call it - is a procedure that most Americans...including most of the women I know, strongly oppose.

I agree. I don't know much about the actual procedure itself but I believe there should be SOME limitations and medical control.

Quote:

This is a summary of the procedure (from About.com):

So far I'm right with you. I think I stated before that I didn't think it should be used for birth control but I do think that it should remain legal just for a safety factor. Lets face it, legal or not, if someone wants an abortion they're going to find a way to get one. I would prefer seeing this done under professional medical supervision.
0 Replies

tvsej

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:23 am
@FedUpAmerican,
There are some previous posts somewhere about how in some states if you injure a pregnant women and the baby dies or you accidently kill a pregnant women you will be charged with a double murder. Our own laws don't agree with each other. Some states ( not in the Bible Belt) say you can have an abortion and others say you can't. Abortion isn't murder if a Dr. does it but it is if a pregnant women is accidently killed by a driver (not a drunk driver, different issue) Confusion all the time, keep em guessing is what our gov. does to us no set line its made up as we go it seems.
bizkit

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:52 pm
@tvsej,
tvsej;35699 wrote:
There are some previous posts somewhere about how in some states if you injure a pregnant women and the baby dies or you accidently kill a pregnant women you will be charged with a double murder. Our own laws don't agree with each other. Some states ( not in the Bible Belt) say you can have an abortion and others say you can't. Abortion isn't murder if a Dr. does it but it is if a pregnant women is accidently killed by a driver (not a drunk driver, different issue) Confusion all the time, keep em guessing is what our gov. does to us no set line its made up as we go it seems.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was about to say that it amazes me how a life can "not be a life" if you choose to abort it....but if someone murders the woman, then they are guilty of 2 Murders!
There needs to be a stand on this.
I do not believe in abortion for the record.
tvsej

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:14 am
@bizkit,
bizkit;35821 wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth! I was about to say that it amazes me how a life can "not be a life" if you choose to abort it....but if someone murders the woman, then they are guilty of 2 Murders!
There needs to be a stand on this.
I do not believe in abortion for the record.

Me either, as a personal choice.
g-man

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 08:33 am
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;35346 wrote:
Is abortion murder?

No. Absolutely not.

It's not murder if it's not an independent person. One might argue, then, that it's not murder to end the life of any child before she reaches consciousness, but we don't know how long after birth personhood arrives for each new child, so it's completely logical to use their independence as the dividing line for when full rights are given to a new human being.

Using independence also solves the problem of dealing with premature babies. Even though it's not murder, it still eliminates a potential person, a potential daughter, a potential son. It's hard enough as it is. Women certainly don't need others telling them it's a murder.

It's not.

On the contrary, abortion is an absolutely moral choice for any woman wishing to control her body.

Using "independence" as the measure of when a child can morally be killed certainly seems to smack of situational ethics.
The lack of independence, suggesting that a child can not survive "on it's own" makes it killable, makes -0- sense. The child, relying on the mother vessel to sustain it's life, makes that "dependence" the cause of bond between the two parties involved. A mother who can separate herself from that process for any reason other than her instinct to survive, should be placed in combat, as killing is merely second nature to her.

A child, born and independent of it's mother vessel can not survive without that mother or the intervention of some adult. No child is "independent" born or not. Leave any child alone without adult aid and it will die. No matter the age.
Children, from conception are dependent on the person who took the action which caused the pregnancy. Which makes that child worthy of whatever inconveniences introduced upon the persons involved in making that child. The true question, are the parents, worthy of the child or the sympathy and understanding that they so vigorously seek and demand.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:09 am
@g-man,
I'm a bit of a rarity, I'm a non-religious person who is pro life.

and i'll tell you why i'm pro-life:

In America if you run over a pregnant women with your car you'll be convicted with Double Homocide, so as far as the legal system is concerned, killing an unborn child is still murder, but this seems to be a bit of a double standard because it is legal for the mother to kill her own unborn baby yet it isn't for others.

killing an unborn child no matter who you are is still wrong in my view.

If anything is of most value i would say it is human life, and it should not be disregarded so easily. Because a child may be inconvient to the mother is not a reason to end it's life, the mother knew the risks and consequences involved with having sex and if she was not ready to bear a child she should have not been having sex.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:54 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;50920 wrote:

If anything is of most value i would say it is human life

Fatal, what if that fetus was conceived by radicals who's sole purpose in life is to kill you. Is it OK to kill the would-be parents BEFORE they conceive..? After all, the only thing that rats bare is more rats.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 03:18 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;50931 wrote:
Fatal, what if that fetus was conceived by radicals who's sole purpose in life is to kill you. Is it OK to kill the would-be parents BEFORE they conceive..? After all, the only thing that rats bare is more rats.

The question you've posed is neither probable or practical, and has no debate value whatsoever, i could easily ask the opposite question "would you save the life of a mother who would concieve someone who will in turn save your life in the future"

questions like this are useless because they will most likely never happen and the chances of you having such knowledge is 1:1000
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 03:42 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;50944 wrote:
The question you've posed is neither probable or practical, and has no debate value whatsoever, i could easily ask the opposite question "would you save the life of a mother who would concieve someone who will in turn save your life in the future"

questions like this are useless because they will most likely never happen and the chances of you having such knowledge is 1:1000

I guess I was thinking of the terrorists that would strap bombs to their children. It is a stretch to think that they would have children for that purpose but there is no denying it happens. I mean, if children are being recruited as soon as they are able to walk why not extrapolate it to include the purposeful fathering of an in-bread army? C'mon, it's worth at least some small discussion.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:06 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;50949 wrote:
I guess I was thinking of the terrorists that would strap bombs to their children. It is a stretch to think that they would have children for that purpose but there is no denying it happens. I mean, if children are being recruited as soon as they are able to walk why not extrapolate it to include the purposeful fathering of an in-bread army? C'mon, it's worth at least some small discussion.

What's that have to do with abortion?
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 06:36 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;50954 wrote:
What's that have to do with abortion?

It started with your comments on the value of human life. My point surrounded the notion, albeit far-fetched, that terrorists could build an army of children, born specifically to strap bombs to. Now that I write it, it sounds pretty weird. In the end, the outcome is the same, unfortunately. They have reared a child for the sole purpose of serving as an agent of death.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:55 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;50944 wrote:

Really, in the Sudan over 200,000 Africian women have been raped by Arabs with the sole intent to inpregnate them with Arab sperm. They killed the male children and forced the male adults to convert to Wahhabi Islam or die. So in fact this is happening, many of these women want to abort the vermins' children. It's ethnic genocide at it's worst, and I'm sure it's not the only place that it's occurring. Socal's post was valid and has merit yet to dismiss it because you lack the knowledge of what's going on around the globe is rather trite.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
@Red cv,
Red;50996 wrote:
Really, in the Sudan over 200,000 Africian women have been raped by Arabs with the sole intent to inpregnate them with Arab sperm. They killed the male children and forced the male adults to convert to Wahhabi Islam or die. So in fact this is happening, many of these women want to abort the vermins' children. It's ethnic genocide at it's worst, and I'm sure it's not the only place that it's occurring. Socal's post was valid and has merit yet to dismiss it because you lack the knowledge of what's going on around the globe is rather trite.

whether we make abortion legal in the united States has little affect on the rape of Sudanese women, but even so the problem is not with abortion it seems but with the Sudan's inability to defend it's citizen's. Even if all the raped women were to abort it would be in vein becuase more women will be raped and you'll have the same problem as before, so the only solution is to protect the citizens and stop the rape from happening in the first place. But in the case that Sudan could effectively end the mass rape i would not oppose the abortion of those women.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 08:39 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
If you subscribe to the belief that a life is a life no matter what and also believe in inherent equality of all humans, than what is being said here prejudiced against some unborn children because of the sins of the fathers. The fathers are extremist Muslims, so kill the children because they might grow up to be the same? They're 'vermin' simply because of their fathers? The problem is not with the unborn children, it is with the fathers, so why not go the extra mile and deal with them instead of killing innocent children?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 08:48 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;51043 wrote:
If you subscribe to the belief that a life is a life no matter what and also believe in inherent equality of all humans, than what is being said here prejudiced against some unborn children because of the sins of the fathers. The fathers are extremist Muslims, so kill the children because they might grow up to be the same? They're 'vermin' simply because of their fathers? The problem is not with the unborn children, it is with the fathers, so why not go the extra mile and deal with them instead of killing innocent children?

yeah, you let me know when when you get raped and impregnated how you feel about baring a child with the face of the man that raped you....but either way it doesn't really matter what we think because it's up to sudan whether they want to outlaw abortion or not.