PMS

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 03:42 pm
Ok, now most of you are probably already laughing, but this is actually a serious question, so hear me out.
3, 4 and sometimes 5 days a month I have severe PMS and it is bad enough to where I can't stand myself, not to mention others can't stand being around me either. For those of you who don't know me or don't know me very well I'd like to fill you in on what I am normally like. Normally I am a very happy person always smiling, laughing and joking around. I'm always friendly and it takes a lot to make me angry. I'm just one of those fun loving people who is quite the people person. Unfortunately, during PMS I change drastically to the point that it's like night and day. I end up snapping at my son and my mother (who I live with) for things I would normally let go and then I end up filled with guilt. I feel stressed and angry at all times through those days and I can't stand being inside my own skin. It seem that the older I get, the worse it gets and it is beginning to have a vegative effect on my life because even when it passes, the guilt is still there from me being such a bitch to be around.

I'm wondering if any of you ladies here experience the same thing and know of anything that would help me get through this personal hell I deal with every month. Is there something that doctors might prescribe for this? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,491 • Replies: 99
No top replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 04:37 pm
Hi Montana

I'm a completly different person when I have PMS. Usually only get two weeks of 'me'...

I use ylang ylang and lavendar essentiail oils, myself. Helps with relaxation

Have you thought of going on the Pill?

Hope this helps a bit...

L
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
Lorna
Thanks for your reply, but unless those oils have valuum in it, then I don't think it will be of much help.
Unfortunately, my doctor took me off the pill many years ago because I have high blood pressure, so that's not an option.

Thanks for your response. I truly appreciate it. I will try the oils.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
I hope you find some relief Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:04 pm
Thank you Lorna (((Hug))). That is very sweet of you.

There has to be something that would help me.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:23 pm
It is a fact that women who routinely perform oral sex, have much less severe PMS symptoms.

I'm on a mission to let women know about this fact.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:31 pm
Hey.... What kind of sick bastard are you coming here and making a joke about my grief? You selfish son of a bi......!!!! Get the hell out of here you twisted sack of s....!!!!!!!

Actually, that's pretty funny Slappy. Can you tell me more?
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:53 pm
I might be able to shed some light on this, Montana.

The problem doesn't lie with your 5 or 6 PMS days, but with the other 25, during which you describe yourself as always being happy and smiling.

It's just not normal, to always be happy and smiling for 3 weeks in a row, so perhaps you manage to "keep it all in" during that time, and then, when your hormones make you more fragile, all that stored-up aggression pops out under the "permission granted" sign of PMS.

To prevent such build-up, all you have to do is practice venting some anger once every day. All through the month. Know what I mean?
Confused
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 05:57 pm
All my best wishes and sympathies - PS, keep me informed on those ill fated 5 days so I can hide Laughing

I had a girl friend once who, well come to think of it, she was hard to get along with on the other 25 days also Confused
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:14 pm
Montana, I think we're fairly good friends, and while I can't offer you any advice on your PMS problem, I can make a suggestion as far as some of the feedback you have received.

If you have any intentions of going down on Slappy because he said it would lessen the severity of your PMS, think again. I think he's trying to trick you. The man would do anything for free fellatio. He has no shame.

If you do choose to go the fellatio route I think there should be some sort of A2K drawing. Or a lottery of some sort. Raffle?

I don't know.... I'm just tossing out ideas.

And, yes, I will purchase several tickets.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:24 pm
Montana- I feel for you. In the past, I went through the same thing, even to the point of having suicidal thoughts on occasion, which disappeared as soon as the PMS abated.

Do you suffer from edema during that time of the month? I remember reading that if a person tends to retain water, she could be retaining water in the tissues in her head, which would partly explain the obnoxious mood swings.

Some docs will prescribe a diuretic to control the water retention. Since diuretics are also used for hypertension, chances are that your doctor would not be averse in prescribing one for you. Check it out!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:45 pm
I think Katya actually has a point. Not necessarily that you need to leaven the sweetness the rest of the month, but this jumped out at me before I'd read her response:

Montana wrote:
I end up snapping at my son and my mother (who I live with) for things I would normally let go and then I end up filled with guilt.

Not "for ridiculous things", not "for things that don't ever bother me," but "for things I would normally let go." I read that as, normally they annoy you but you let it go, don't make a big deal out of it.

When I have PMS, that's how it tends to manifest itself, too -- I get mad about perfectly reasonable things, it's just that they don't always make me mad.

I just see it as one of the many ways that our bodies and psyches self-regulate. I don't think this happens just to women, btw... my husband has (OK, have rejected the word "periodic" and "his periods when...") occasional hissy fit (gawd "period" again um) episodes or short stretches of time when he is less tolerant than usual. Like fine fine fine fine then ACK!

From what you said, the main thing I think you need to focus on is what you do blow up about and why you blow up about it. If it's things that are legitimate and you are being a saint the rest of the month, go ahead and let your family know you're human, and have limits, and if they don't want to get blown up at, respect your limits.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:46 pm
Montana, I wish I had something other than kind words to offer.

The only thing I can think of is to be very kind to yourself on those days.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:54 pm
Aw, montana, sorry you have the mood swings. I get them too (don't we all?), and I can be a lot less patient with the kids I care for during those days. I generally don't end up feeling guilty for too long, try to stay on top of it while it's happening.

I think you should talk to your doc about edema and also ask about any other hormone treatment you might try that won't mess with your BP.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:21 pm
Relief for symptoms of PMS and perimenopause

I've found a great deal of relief from the perimenopause symptoms I was experiencing by using some of these suggestions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:23 pm
Thanks bfly!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:50 pm
Katya
You've got a point there, but I don't know if I can change those things about myself. I really don't think it's anger that I build up because even though I let a lot of stuff go the rest of the month that might bother me some, letting it go is exactly what I do and I don't think about it anymore. Well, not that I know of. Thanks for your advice and I'll try to get things of my chest as they come along.

Bill
PMS od going away today, so make sure to mark it on your calender. Just remember that I have an IUD so mine comes every 21 days instead of every 28 days ;-) <sigh>

Gus
Thanks for the warning. I thought Slappy was trying to trick me, but I really wasn't sure.

Phoenix
Oh my gosh!!! Sounds like you had it even worse than I do if that's possible. Suicide never crossed my mind, but beating the crap out of some people is always on my mind and that's no joke. I'm not a violent person what so ever, but during those times my mind is very violent.
Yes, I do suffer from edema and actually gain a few poinds during that time. Now that I think about it, I do get a lot of pressure in my head as well wich is just as frustrating as anything else. Thank you so much for sharing that with me and for your advice. I need to see my doctor in a few months and will be talking to him about it.

Sozobe
You could be right as well. I think it's a combination of things after reading everything here. Living with my mother and a teenager is not always easy and sometimes I feel a bit trapped, but say nothing about it. I am in the process of making myself a small living room out of a spare bedroom we have upstairs and that will give me my own space where I can just go off by myself, which I truly need sometimes. That room will be all set up and ready by the spring, which will be a good thing I know. Sometimes I believe if I could just go off by myself for a few days it would help me. When I do get angry during PMS I always have good reason to be angry, so I'm not just going off for nothing and it's just things I would normally shrug off as not a big deal. Thanks for your input Soz ;-)

Suzette
(((Big Hug))) Thank you for that :-)

Littlek
I think your right about talking to my doctor and that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks a bunch.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:53 pm
Burfly
Thanks so much for the link.

I don't know what I'd do without you guys :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:20 pm
A word of advice to all men who may read this, "NEVER and I do mean NEVER accuse a woman of having PMS when she gets angry". Even if the woman is nowhere near having PMS, NEVER do this or you will be EXTREMELY sorry you did. That's a big time insult to us gals ;-)

And I mean NEVER EVER!!!!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:24 pm
To the men again. A word of advice. If you ever slip and tell an angry woman she's PMSing while she's PMSing, run like hell!!!!!!!!!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies