Israel and the middle east.

xris

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:26 pm
@Soul Brother,
So why do we see so many orthodox Jews in Israel supporting violence and encouraging the occupation of Jerusalem. Its the orthodox Jews who are in the main occupying these new settlements. Your expressed views of Jews, is a minority opinion.
Dave Allen

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;167362 wrote:
Dave. Let me start by making clear that everything that I have stated is not something I have made up and is not my own ideology or belief, but it is that of jews. You are arguing on these religious prinsiples with me as if they are my own, it is not my religion.

Muhammed said never to wear silk and gold, because that way was the way of the fire.

But many muslims wear silk and gold.

Jesus said consider the lily of the field, and that for a rich man to enter heaven was harder than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

But many christians are rich and few of them bother to think about flowers in any great detail.

You seem to be holding jews to a standard that you don't expect from others.

It's a holy book, dependant on various interpretations and varying degrees of literalism in interpretation.

Personally - I don't care. I don't do religion precisely because the interpretive nature of the texts strikes me as at odds with their claims to be the word of god - or timeless wisdom. If that were true how come holy war is waged by those who are told to turn the other cheek?

Quote:
What do you mean by cleave? do you mean they are split between numerous interpreteations of the Torah? beacause I did not suggest this.

No, though you are wrong not to suggest it because there are many differing interpretations.

To "cleave to" something is to follow it closely. "Do you cleave closely to the literal word of the torah?" "No - I'm more of an easy going jew in regards to scripture."

Something like that.

Quote:
Then again, some say christianity is man made. But it is not up to me to justify people's beliefs.

No - but you do seem to see yourself as an arbiter of standards of belief for others. Which you aren't.

A jew's faith and the weight by which they obey certain rules or doctrine is between him or her and their god, not you. If their god exists and wants to judge them harshly for returning too soon - that's up to him. Or Him, or HIM, or whatever.

In my opinion it can't happen anyway - because I don't think deities exist.

Quote:
Why would jews oppress others simply because they choose to follow they're god's command?

I don't think that's a necessary end - hence why it's fine by me when there's no oppression to criticise. However, there's plenty of oppression to notice and object to regarding the treatment of Palestinians. Theoretically a jew who doesn't wish to see Israel created might commit an act of oppression based on that - I don't know of any examples, but it might happen. So I object to that too if it ever occurs or has occurred.

Quote:
However, that jews are pious and sanctimonious, came from you, do NOT put words in my mouth.

Effectively you did - you seem to me to hold them - all of them - to a particular and strict reading of their holy books (piety by definition) - rather than to just a general and variable commitment to jewishness in a familial or cultural sense.

Quote:
If you think religions are social clubs where you can have various degrees of zeal, and change some of the rules as and when it suits you, that is fine, (this is your opinion)

No its not a matter of mere opinion, it's a matter of observing 99% of religious people who occasionally break one of the multitude of bewildering and contradictory rules, guidelines, metaphores and advices in their holy books. The only religious people who worry about literally interpreting all of the rules in their holy books all of the time are the most uptight and fundamental of zealots.

Quote:
Again I am sorry but this is not own belief, I can see that you seem to think that I am making this up, so please go on google and type in jews against...

I've already explained to you that I know and even respect that some jewish people do not want to see the creation of a jewish state until the coming of their messiah.

Operative word is "SOME".

Fine. Cool. Good for them. But they aren't the gestalt. Most jews live in or support the state of Israel. I think that's OK too provided they play nice about it and respect the human rights of their non-jewish citizens and neighbours.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:12 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;167358 wrote:

But at least you recognise that they were states now.

I do? I don't. They were not states then, they are not now. They were not, and are not, recognized by any official organization as states. A state is not a state because it proclaims itself to be one. And neither The West Bank, nor Gaza, has even done that. If, and when, they are recognized as states by the appropriate international bodies, and there are proper representations sent, they will remain whatever they are. And it looks now as if that period of limbo is indefinite, and will remain indefinite until they pull up their socks (or whatever it is they wear).

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 04:15 PM ----------

xris;167366 wrote:
So why do we see so many orthodox Jews in Israel supporting violence and encouraging the occupation of Jerusalem. Its the orthodox Jews who are in the main occupying these new settlements. Your expressed views of Jews, is a minority opinion.

No one is occupying Jerusalem anymore than anyone is occupying London or Paris.
xris

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 02:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167401 wrote:
I do? I don't. They were not states then, they are not now. They were not, and are not, recognized by any official organization as states. A state is not a state because it proclaims itself to be one. And neither The West Bank, nor Gaza, has even done that. If, and when, they are recognized as states by the appropriate international bodies, and there are proper representations sent, they will remain whatever they are. And it looks now as if that period of limbo is indefinite, and will remain indefinite until they pull up their socks (or whatever it is they wear).

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 04:15 PM ----------

No one is occupying Jerusalem anymore than anyone is occupying London or Paris.
Well I beg to tell you they are.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 03:55 pm
@xris,
xris;167415 wrote:
Well I beg to tell you they are.

Oh, you think they are occupying New York City. What difference does it make what you believe about this matter?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 04:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167421 wrote:
Oh, you think they are occupying New York City. What difference does it make what you believe about this matter?

What difference does it make what you believe about this matter

I hope that I am wrong but I think that it may be possible that this one word [believe] is going to be what causes the total destruction of Isreal and other places as well in the near future.
I am sure with out a dought that I can be wrong. The problem is that others believe with out a dought that they are correct. I have nothing against Isreal nor the palestinians, but there seems to be to much hate around the world for Israel to exist in the near future. The only thing that I can think of is that that Israel would have to make a drastic change.
Isreal would have to love the palastians as themselves.

I may be wrong but I see Isreal as having a very sad forecast unless it makes a change.:detective:
kennethamy

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 05:41 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;167429 wrote:
What difference does it make what you believe about this matter

I may be wrong but I see Isreal as having a very sad forecast unless it makes a change.:detective:

How about the Arabs making the change? All they have to do is to stop killing Jews. Is that so hard? (I guess it is, for them).
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 06:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167439 wrote:
How about the Arabs making the change? All they have to do is to stop killing Jews. Is that so hard? (I guess it is, for them).

I do agree with you that others would have to stop as well and by no means am I takeing sides.
I am looking at many factors and the math in my head says that it would have to be Israel to take the first step, and if they did "then the majority of the moral philosophers would also be on their side to help them threw the process.
Trust me I can assure you that I do [not] know for a fact what I am talking about.

I am only giving you my hypothesis, as this is a complex matter.Smile
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167401 wrote:
I do? I don't. They were not states then, they are not now. They were not, and are not, recognized by any official organization as states. A state is not a state because it proclaims itself to be one. And neither The West Bank, nor Gaza, has even done that.

They wouldn't have to - they were declared arab states by the same 1947 UN General Assembly that recognised Israel.

---------- Post added 05-22-2010 at 08:26 PM ----------

kennethamy;167439 wrote:

Takes two to tango. In the 80s the UN did a pretty good job of mitigating the criminal behaviour of beligerants from either side - with far more success than the IDF ever did. They could do so again I think, if the US would stop vetoing them all the time.
0 Replies

Soul Brother

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:41 pm
@xris,
xris;167366 wrote:

Xris, I have not seen of this, as so, it has me thinking that the views I put forth could actually be of a minority and not a majority. Please direct me to some sources where you have seen of this.

---------- Post added 05-23-2010 at 02:05 PM ----------

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
Muhammed said never to wear silk and gold, because that way was the way of the fire.
But many muslims wear silk and gold.
Jesus said consider the lily of the field, and that for a rich man to enter heaven was harder than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.
But many christians are rich and few of them bother to think about flowers in any great detail.

I agree with this, in nearly all religions there are examples of those in faith not fully conforming to the teachings of their religion. As it is said, religion is flawed only because man is flawed.

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
You seem to be holding jews to a standard that you don't expect from others.

Wrong, I would indeed expect I high standard faith from peoples of other religions. But in this case I am defending to an extent the jews because not only is Israel doing something very wrong, but Israel is calling itself a jewish nation, and as I understand from the jews them selves they are mostly against this. But again if I am wrong on the matter of it being a majority, please feel free to show me so where orthodox jews have said this.

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
No, though you are wrong not to suggest it because there are many differing interpretations.

Dave, you cannot refer to me as wrong for not suggesting something, for it is not my obligation is it?

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
No - but you do seem to see yourself as an arbiter of standards of belief for others. Which you aren't.

I have been expressing the voice of (from what I have seen) is the majority of orthodox jews so this does not make me as you said an arbiter. But if you stand to say that it is actually a minority and not a majority, feel free to show me so where the jews have said this.

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
jew's faith and the weight by which they obey certain rules or doctrine is between him or her and their god, not you. If their god exists and wants to judge them harshly for returning too soon - that's up to him. Or Him, or HIM, or whatever.

I agree with this so I don't understand why you are trying to make it seem as though this is not my view (especially when I expressed the same view on the matter as you in my previous post) you are basically taking what I have said, made it your own view, and then falsely accused me of being against it. [SIZE="5"]I have already asked you nicely NOT to put words in my mouth[/SIZE], so now dave since you have already accused me of this PLEASE point to where ([SIZE="2"]I[/SIZE]) have said this to be up to me, can you do that?

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
I don't think that's a necessary end - hence why it's fine by me when there's no oppression to criticise. However, there's plenty of oppression to notice and object to regarding the treatment of Palestinians. Theoretically a jew who doesn't wish to see Israel created might commit an act of oppression based on that - I don't know of any examples, but it might happen. So I object to that too if it ever occurs or has occurred.

According to what theory exactly is this dave? This is like me saying that theoretically an american who does wish to see a black president might commit an act of oppression based on that. It might indeed happen but this might also happen with any person of religion, plus such a small percentage of the whole who decides to result to such extreme measures does not at all account for or represent the majority would you not agree?

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
Effectively you did - you seem to me to hold them - all of them - to a particular and strict reading of their holy books (piety by definition) - rather than to just a general and variable commitment to jewishness in a familial or cultural sense.

So again, please point to me where I have referred to (as what I believe is the majority) of jews being pious and sanctimonious, are you sure you know what those words mean?

Dave Allen;167369 wrote:
No its not a matter of mere opinion, it's a matter of observing 99% of religious people who occasionally break one of the multitude of bewildering and contradictory rules, guidelines, metaphores and advices in their holy books. The only religious people who worry about literally interpreting all of the rules in their holy books all of the time are the most uptight and fundamental of zealots.

Indeed people of all religions might occasionally break one of the multitude of bewildering and contradictory rules, guidelines, metaphores and advices in their holy books, but where from did you obtain the fact that this number is 99% ?
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 05:29 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;167482 wrote:
Wrong, I would indeed expect I high standard faith from peoples of other religions. But in this case I am defending to an extent the jews because not only is Israel doing something very wrong, but Israel is calling itself a jewish nation, and as I understand from the jews them selves they are mostly against this.

I fail to see how most jews are against it when the proportion of Jews living within Israel is so high.

The legitimacy of Israel's actions are debatable - and as you can see, I've called them into question myself pretty vividly.

However, as far as I care - anyone should be able to go anywhere they please provided they are willing to be responsible about it. Many Israelis are as trapped and terrorised by the situation as the palestinians, many of them work with the peace movement, or the ISM, or join refusnik reservist petitions.

Quote:
But again if I am wrong on the matter of it being a majority, please feel free to show me so where orthodox jews have said this.

I haven't been specifying orthodox jews - quite the opposite.

Quote:
I have been expressing the voice of (from what I have seen) is the majority of orthodox jews so this does not make me as you said an arbiter. But if you stand to say that it is actually a minority and not a majority, feel free to show me so where the jews have said this.

I can't, "they" are not an actor, but nearly 6 million of them live in Israel, of a worldwide population that just over 13 million, so even if only 1 million jews that don't live in Israel generally support it that's at least half.

In reality, most jews outside of Israel either support it or are lssez faire on the issue. It's only a small minority who disapprove according to a scriptural interpretation.

[quote]I have already asked you nicely NOT to put words in my mouth[/quote]
Quote:
, so now dave since you have already accused me of this PLEASE point to where (I) have said this to be up to me, can you do that?

If its not up to you its not up to you, its up to them and leave it at that - it isn't up to you to decide how they interpret their religion - but it looks that way if you say "this minority are the ones who truely interpret their religion, and no one else is doing it right". It is up to them to what degree they do it "right". Even if it were a majority it would still be up to the minority to decide for themselves.

Quote:
According to what theory exactly is this dave?

The theory I outlined, potentially somewhere, some day, there might of been, or might be, a jew who does something wicked under the influence of that belief. Stranger things have happened. Based on that potential I think it's safe to say "if a jew wishes to oppose the creation of israel that's cool provided they don't hurt anyone". Seems clear to me - just because I can't think of an example doesn't mean the potential isn't there.

I'd say it about evangelicals - "if you're selfish enough to want to see the rapture occur in your lifetime I suppose that's fine as long as you don't hurt anyone attempting to bring it about".

Or even quote crowley on it "and it harm none do as thou wilt" - that doesn't mean I expect people doing what they want to harm anyone does it - it's just a caveat for my approval.

Quote:
This is like me saying that theoretically an american who does wish to see a black president might commit an act of oppression based on that.

Yeah - the possibility exists.

Quote:
It might indeed happen but this might also happen with any person of religion, plus such a small percentage of the whole who decides to result to such extreme measures does not at all account for or represent the majority would you not agree?

Sure, but it wasn't my point to be proportional, it was my point to be even handed about two different ideologies which both have potential to oppress others. One of them is generally involved in an opression, and I have deplored that - but I'll still be even handed enough not to say its a mater of good jews and bad jews in such manichean terms.

Quote:
So again, please point to me where I have referred to (as what I believe is the majority) of jews being pious and sanctimonious, are you sure you know what those words mean?

Sure, piety is cleaving to one set of beliefs with strong conviction and sanctimony is expecting the same of others.

You're saying that the orthodox jews opposing Israel are the pious ones, and that you expect other jews to follow their example.

Quote:
Indeed people of all religions might occasionally break one of the multitude of bewildering and contradictory rules, guidelines, metaphores and advices in their holy books, but where from did you obtain the fact that this number is 99% ?

Name a single christian who seriously considers flowers, never thinks for the morrow, turns the other cheek when struck and carries a rucksack two miles if forced to carry it for one.

Personally I would put the number at 100%, as all religious scripts I have read are riven with internal contradictions - buit even the most clear of commandments tend to be routinely ignored. I have never been in a church tat hasn't bourne some sort of graven image, for example.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;167421 wrote:

Me , nothing but when the world believes they are occupying Jerusalem illegally ,it means a lot.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:28 pm
@Ali phil,
But the world doesn't think that. Jerusalem is shared between Israel and the West Bank, it isn't under Israeli occupation as a gestalt. At certain times parts of it, such as Al Quds, have been, but Jerusalem as commonly understood is within the borders recognised by the international community since the 1940s.
Maud Dib

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:30 pm
@Ali phil,
I just looked this up. 76.4% of the people of Isreal are Jewish in religion, (if thats not a majority of a population, then I have been learning math wrong this whole time), the official language is Hebrew, (once again, I may have learned this wrong, but isn't Hebrew the Jewish language?), and this last one may be irrelevant, but doesn't their flag have a big Star of David on it?

If Isreal isn't a Jewish country then what would you call it?

And this is a not smart ass question, can zionism vs. Judaism be similar to Protestant vs. Catholicism? Just at difference in interperatation of the Holy Books?
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:47 pm
@Maud Dib,
Maud' Dib;167727 wrote:
I just looked this up. 76.4% of the people of Isreal are Jewish in religion, (if thats not a majority of a population, then I have been learning math wrong this whole time), the official language is Hebrew, (once again, I may have learned this wrong, but isn't Hebrew the Jewish language?), and this last one may be irrelevant, but doesn't their flag have a big Star of David on it?

If Isreal isn't a Jewish country then what would you call it?

No problem with it being veiwed as a Jewish country as far as the gestalt religion of the populace is concerned. However, a "country for jews" as implied by the zionist movement has led to the mistreatment of non-jews and imposition of a sort of second-class citizenship. Which is prejudice along theocratic lines, and not to be admired. We rightly condemn that sort of thing when any other nation implements it.

Quote:
And this is a not smart ass question, can zionism vs. Judaism be similar to Protestant vs. Catholicism? Just at difference in interperatation of the Holy Books?

No. Zionism is a political movement which is sort of "by jews for jews" in general, it doesn't care what sort of jew you are, it just states that any jew should be able to live in Israel and to a certain degree encourages all jews to move there.

Like any political movements it has adherants who support it wholly and others who support it in part - at its most extreme zionism claims that jews will always be oppressed by gentiles and that they will therefore only find peace if they reclaim Greater Israel and have exclusive rights to it.

Seeing as Greater Israel includes lands that are part of Syria, Jordan and Egypt - and all of Gaza and the West Bank - zionism has instilled paranoia in Israel's neighbours - with predicable bloody results. It has been blamed for Israel's refusal to allow for right of return (because in order to feasably invite every jew to Israel you need to make some room) and Israel's habit of occupying territory (because that territory is seen as being part of Greater Israel).

That's the extreme end of it, most avowed zionists are probably more moderate in outlook, and it does seem to be losing credibility as more jews realise they can live in many European or American countries without suffering any sort of institutional persecution.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:48 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;167725 wrote:
But the world doesn't think that. Jerusalem is shared between Israel and the West Bank, it isn't under Israeli occupation as a gestalt. At certain times parts of it, such as Al Quds, have been, but Jerusalem as commonly understood is within the borders recognised by the international community since the 1940s.
The wider area still known as Jerusalem is being taken forcible from the Arabs. Arabs who have lived there for years are being evicted and immigrant Jews are occupying their houses.BBC NEWS | Middle East | Palestinians evicted in Jerusalem
mark noble

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@xris,
xris;167732 wrote:
The wider area still known as Jerusalem is being taken forcible from the Arabs. Arabs who have lived there for years are being evicted and immigrant Jews are occupying their houses.BBC NEWS | Middle East | Palestinians evicted in Jerusalem

Hi Xris,

You are absolutely on the ball on this one.
There's a good on the ground reportage by Rageh Omar, that shows how the Israeli military police, prevent arabs from returning to their homes by ignoring them at checkpoints. When they do eventually get home - It's not their home anymore.

Have a great day Xris.

Mark...
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:07 pm
@xris,
xris;167732 wrote:

That's an issue I strongly object to and believe is abusive - but it does not count as an occupation. It's an abuse of your own citizens.

As to whether the rest of the world views Jerusalem as being forced from the arabs - I remind you once again that violence has occurred in the inception of a great many nations.

At the end of the day the official and legal international recognition of the state of Israel dates back 62 years and includes pretty much all of what you think of as Jerusalem. A suburban area, Al Quds, is part of the West Bank. It may or may not be occupied depending on the situation (I think it currently is).

Anyhow, that is Israel in the eyes of the international community as a legal body - whether you like it or not.

That does not mean it's right for Israel to occupy neighbours, evict arabs from their homes or any of its other crimes, but just as China's occupation of Tibet brings condemnation, it still doesn't stop China being China or Beijing being it's capital. Same for Israel, and pretending 1948 didn't happen is just denial really.

Both the Israelis and Palestinians are going to be there to stay really. There's no way the likes of Hamas will terrorize Israel into submission, and there's no way Israel can oppress the Palestinians from existence. What's needed is a new paradigm, a recognition of a two-state solution and the UN to keep the two sides apart until the hotheads from either side cool down.

Anything else is just drawing out the pain really. Claiming Israel as recognised in the 1940s isn't legitimate when it is just entrenches angry Israelis in further "us against them" mentality and justifies their most violently nationalistic elements, just as portraying the Palestinians as terrorist animals does likewise.
xris

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:25 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;167738 wrote:
That's an issue I strongly object to and believe is abusive - but it does not count as an occupation. It's an abuse of your own citizens.

As to whether the rest of the world views Jerusalem as being forced from the arabs - I remind you once again that violence has occurred in the inception of a great many nations.

At the end of the day the official and legal international recognition of the state of Israel dates back 62 years and includes pretty much all of what you think of as Jerusalem. A suburban area, Al Quds, is part of the West Bank. It may or may not be occupied depending on the situation (I think it currently is).

Anyhow, that is Israel in the eyes of the international community as a legal body - whether you like it or not.

That does not mean it's right for Israel to occupy neighbours, evict arabs from their homes or any of its other crimes, but just as China's occupation of Tibet brings condemnation, it still doesn't stop China being China or Beijing being it's capital. Same for Israel, and pretending 1948 didn't happen is just denial really.

Both the Israelis and Palestinians are going to be there to stay really. There's no way the likes of Hamas will terrorize Israel into submission, and there's no way Israel can oppress the Palestinians from existence. What's needed is a new paradigm, a recognition of a two-state solution and the UN to keep the two sides apart until the hotheads from either side cool down.

Anything else is just drawing out the pain really. Claiming Israel as recognised in the 1940s isn't legitimate when it is just entrenches angry Israelis in further "us against them" mentality and justifies their most violently nationalistic elements, just as portraying the Palestinians as terrorist animals does likewise.
So what would you call an occupation? It appears your view is not the accepted view. When Palestinians have no rights in law and the Israelis hold the power , what else is it?

You believe that Hamas are acting without being able to resolve this dispute, I think they know that. Its years of degradation and oppression that makes them act, not the thought of victory. Israel rubs their noses in the dirt, they oppress and continue to steal more and more land. The arrogance and contempt Israel shows fuels the fire, till they show respect and give back the land from the six day war, nothing will improve. The problem is too many hard liners from fundamentalist Jewry, who refuse to accept that their government must make concessions.
mark noble

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:35 pm
@xris,
xris;167743 wrote:
So what would you call an occupation? It appears your view is not the accepted view. When Palestinians have no rights in law and the Israelis hold the power , what else is it?

You believe that Hamas are acting without being able to resolve this dispute, I think they know that. Its years of degradation and oppression that makes them act, not the thought of victory. Israel rubs their noses in the dirt, they oppress and continue to steal more and more land. The arrogance and contempt Israel shows fuels the fire, till they show respect and give back the land from the six day war, nothing will improve. The problem is too many hard liners from fundamentalist Jewry, who refuse to accept that their government must make concessions.

Hi Guys,

There are greater powers at work here than the peoples in question. WE, all three know who initiates, mediates and profits from this, and other tragic wars. Let's not pretend otherwise. The peoples are merely pawns in a bloody despicable game of superchess. The day we fix it is the day we suddenly wake up dead...Enough said!

Thank you gentlemen, Have a marvellous Evening.

Mark...