President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:20 am
@kennethamy,
Not much of one unless you include inexplicable 'oh, you're just wrong' a response, coupled with ignoring my arguments about Obama's accomplishments and significance prior to his election.

You, again, mention that Obama had been in office for two weeks before his name was first considered for the award. Yet, you also neglect to consider the months of deliberation prior to the final decision during which time he was active as President, and you also neglected my long list of his significance which predate election night.

Then you decide to assert that I'm just wrong about Obama being an accomplished diplomat - even though I gave a great many reasons why he is in fact an accomplished diplomat.

If you are not willing to say anything more than simple, one liner contradictions, that's fine. But it's also rather disappointing, especially when my on topic points are glanced over in favor of restating the very claims I was responding to in the first place.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:01 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98741 wrote:
Not much of one unless you include inexplicable 'oh, you're just wrong' a response, coupled with ignoring my arguments about Obama's accomplishments and significance prior to his election.

You, again, mention that Obama had been in office for two weeks before his name was first considered for the award. Yet, you also neglect to consider the months of deliberation prior to the final decision during which time he was active as President, and you also neglected my long list of his significance which predate election night.

Then you decide to assert that I'm just wrong about Obama being an accomplished diplomat - even though I gave a great many reasons why he is in fact an accomplished diplomat.

If you are not willing to say anything more than simple, one liner contradictions, that's fine. But it's also rather disappointing, especially when my on topic points are glanced over in favor of restating the very claims I was responding to in the first place.

What accomplished diplomacy did he do in the few weeks he was in office before the nominations were closed? Indeed, what accomplished diplomacy has he done while in office? He gave a few speeches while trundling around Europe. We are still confronting Iran and North Korea. Russian still will not cooperate in imposing sanctions on Iran, and neither will China. He disappointed and betrayed Poland and the Czechs by not placing missiles there because Russia did not want them. So, just what has he accomplished in diplomacy? Obama looks weak, and that is dangerous.

And now he has been dithering over Afganistan for weeks.

He is now called, "The Hamlet of the White House".
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98748 wrote:
What accomplished diplomacy did he do in the few weeks he was in office before the nominations were closed?

This is my point. I gave a list of diplomatic accomplishments of Obama's which predate election night, and also gave an explanation of his diplomatic accomplishments having been elected - namely, the rebuilding of international confidence in America.

kennethamy;98748 wrote:
Indeed, what accomplished diplomacy has he done while in office? He gave a few speeches while trundling around Europe. We are still confronting Iran and North Korea. Russian still will not cooperate in imposing sanctions on Iran, and neither will China. He disappointed and betrayed Poland and the Czechs by not placing missiles there because Russia did not want them. So, just what has he accomplished in diplomacy? Obama looks weak, and that is dangerous.

Instead of arguing personal political ideology, try for a moment to approach the matter from a slightly more objective view. I get that you do not like Obama as a politician, and that you disagree with many of his efforts. However, disagreement with his efforts is not the same as the man having failed in his efforts.

To then bring up as yet addressed issues as somehow being failures of Obama is beside the point. Yes, we are still confronting Iran - and have been for over fifty years, but Reagan is not a failed diplomat because he was unable to recover good relations with Iran. Reagan did have diplomatic accomplishments despite Iran being held by a terrible regime, right? The same is true of Obama - sure, there are as yet unresolved issues in American foreign policy, and there will always be such issues. But to bring such matters up as if they were evidence that Obama, or any other diplomat, is not accomplished as a diplomat is simply beside the point. He's not Superman, and no one is trying to argue that he is.

I cringe just to think of the name "Nixon", and I cringe just to think of the name "Reagan", yet I also manage to credit both with being master politicians and marvelously accomplished diplomats.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:23 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98752 wrote:
This is my point. I gave a list of diplomatic accomplishments of Obama's which predate election night, and also gave an explanation of his diplomatic accomplishments having been elected - namely, the rebuilding of international confidence in America.

Instead of arguing personal political ideology, try for a moment to approach the matter from a slightly more objective view. I get that you do not like Obama as a politician, and that you disagree with many of his efforts. However, disagreement with his efforts is not the same as the man having failed in his efforts.

To then bring up as yet addressed issues as somehow being failures of Obama is beside the point. Yes, we are still confronting Iran - and have been for over fifty years, but Reagan is not a failed diplomat because he was unable to recover good relations with Iran. Reagan did have diplomatic accomplishments despite Iran being held by a terrible regime, right? The same is true of Obama - sure, there are as yet unresolved issues in American foreign policy, and there will always be such issues. But to bring such matters up as if they were evidence that Obama, or any other diplomat, is not accomplished as a diplomat is simply beside the point. He's not Superman, and no one is trying to argue that he is.

I cringe just to think of the name "Nixon", and I cringe just to think of the name "Reagan", yet I also manage to credit both with being master politicians and marvelously accomplished diplomats.

Biden to reassure Poles during European trip - Yahoo! News

Yes, both Reagan, and especially Nixon were accomplished at diplomacy. Their achievements speak for themselves. But Obama is not an accomplished diplomat, since he has no achievements to speak of. And that is the difference.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 08:40 am
@kennethamy,
And once again you ignore the list of accomplishments I provided for you. Another simple, one liner contradiction. So much for conversation and discussion, eh?
kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 09:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98761 wrote:
And once again you ignore the list of accomplishments I provided for you. Another simple, one liner contradiction. So much for conversation and discussion, eh?

But there are no accomplishments on that list. Obama seems to have reached only one agreement. He succumbed to the Russian demand not to have missiles in Eastern Europe. He received nothing for it. Certainly not cooperation on Iran.

Even before his inauguration, he was able to re-inspire the world population of American's fundamental greatness. Even before his inauguration, he turned immense anti-American sentiment and pessimism into a glowing sense of hope about the future of America's relationship to the rest of the world. These pre-inaugural accomplishments are not insignificant.

Exactly how are bringing crowds into the street diplomatic accomplishments? He did not do anything. They just preferred him to Bush. And he was new, and, of course, black. To accomplish something, you have first to try to do it. Obama did not try to do anything. And there was nothing about him that brought out the crowds. It was simply who he was, or rather, who the crowds thought he was. Of course I did not mention this. Why should I? It is not an accomplishment. Do you really think that a it is a diplomatic accomplishment to bring people into the street? Why?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:06 am
@kennethamy,
You do not believe rebuilding trust, hope, and faith in America around the world to be a diplomatic accomplishment? You do not believe overcoming centuries of racial prejudice by virtue of ideas and eloquence to be a diplomatic accomplishment? It was not someone else who accomplished these feats of diplomacy. It was Obama.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:19 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98781 wrote:
You do not believe rebuilding trust, hope, and faith in America around the world to be a diplomatic accomplishment? You do not believe overcoming centuries of racial prejudice by virtue of ideas and eloquence to be a diplomatic accomplishment? It was not someone else who accomplished these feats of diplomacy. It was Obama.

Wow, you sure do like to give the guy a lot of credit. Rebuilding trust, hope, and faith in America around the world? On what information have you concluded this? Number of times Obama has been praised in the mainstream global press? One thing I would look at when appraising the international faith in America is the value of our currency. Guess what, the dollar has continued to plummet ever since Obama entered office.

How did he overcome racial prejudice? People like MLK Jr. worked against racial prejudice...they paved that road well before Obama walked down it on his way into office. And because he's got dark skin and got elected, he overcame racial prejudice? Please...the democrats ran a very successful campaign against an old establishment codger who would have lost to most anyone after Bush. Obama is a good orator with good speech writers, and that's who won the election.

I don't really have a problem with Obama, and the nobel prize I couldn't really care less about. But you've gotta take off those rose-tinted glasses and be realistic about his accomplishments so far. Give him at least until the end of the term before you begin to claim that he has restored faith in America or overcome racial prejudice. So far, he's simply continued most of the Bush policies in practice, while making nice speeches about all of the "change" that will supposedly be taking place.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:19 am
@Didymos Thomas,

First of all, I don't think that all that occurred. There is enthusiasm for a fresh face. Let's now see whether the Eastern European nations trust him after he surrendered to the Russians. In the second place, he did not do it. It was his aura that did it. His personality, or rather his perceived personality. That's not an accomplishment. The crowds sent him a Hallmark Card. "Thank you for being you". A large fan club is not an accomplishment. It is not a product of work. It is not a feat of diplomacy. The opening of China was a feat of diplomacy. The destruction of the Soviet Empire was (partly) a feat of diplomacy. But getting crowds into the streets cheering for they did not know what. That is not a feat of diplomacy. Maybe a feat of propaganda. Maybe a feat of personality. But not a feat of diplomacy. He did not do anything. And whose racial prejudice did he overcome? The Europeans? Just what are you talking about?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:33 am
@kennethamy,
Pangloss;98783 wrote:
Wow, you sure do like to give the guy a lot of credit. Rebuilding trust, hope, and faith in America around the world? On what information have you concluded this? Number of times Obama has been praised in the mainstream global press? One thing I would look at when appraising the international faith in America is the value of our currency. Guess what, the dollar has continued to plummet ever since Obama entered office.

You can always look back a couple of pages when I first made these claims; I went into a bit more detail. I'm sure you recall the scene: Germans turning out by the thousands waving Old Glory. That's quite a turnaround, don't you think?

Yes, currency means something. But I'm not talking about monetary speculation. I'm talking about public opinion. There were polls done internationally that showed Obama to have favorability ratings around the world in the 70 and 80 percent range. And this was all prior to his election. What's the point? This man gave people around the world hope: hope that America, that bellicose world tyrant, might live up to it's potential as the graceful world leader. That is an accomplishment.

Pangloss;98783 wrote:
How did he overcome racial prejudice? People like MLK Jr. worked against racial prejudice...they paved that road well before Obama walked down it on his way into office. And because he's got dark skin and got elected, he overcame racial prejudice? Please...

Please nothing at all. Sure, many people came before Obama, King being one of them. I never once contested that. However, Barack Obama does happen to be of African American heritage, and he did manage to overcome a massive racial barrier by getting himself elected. That, too, is an accomplishment.

Pangloss;98783 wrote:
But you've gotta take off those rose-tinted glasses and be realistic about his accomplishments so far. Give him at least until the end of the term before you begin to claim that he has restored faith in America or overcome racial prejudice. So far, he's simply continued most of the Bush policies in practice, while making nice speeches about all of the "change" that will supposedly be taking place.

What rose tinted glasses? It's strange what people assume, isn't it? If you want to hear someone criticize Obama, I'd be happy to oblige you. However, my criticisms in no way diminish his accomplishments thus far.

And why people continue to talk about his time in office is beyond me. Mankind is capable of accomplishment without being the President. What's worse, your argument assumes that he cannot make real accomplishments without being in office for some extended period of time. Let me give you a hypothetical: if he ended world hunger before his first term was up, would it still be too soon to say he accomplished something? Obviously not. Give credit where credit is due. He has made monumental steps in rebuilding international trust and hope in America, and his the success of his Presidential campaign was a remarkable feat of political wit and overcoming racial prejudice.

kennethamy;98784 wrote:
Let's now see whether the Eastern European nations trust him after he surrendered to the Russians.

It's not exactly 1950 any more.

kennethamy;98784 wrote:
In the second place, he did not do it. It was his aura that did it. His personality, or rather his perceived personality. That's not an accomplishment.

Excuse me? He didn't do it, it was his aura? Let me ask the obvious: who has Obama's aura if not Obama? Was it Obama's vocal chords rather than Obama who has given his speeches thus far?

kennethamy;98784 wrote:
A large fan club is not an accomplishment. It is not a product of work. It is not a feat of diplomacy.

So Obama was an international sensation for no reason whatsoever? He did nothing to put himself in that position?

Further, if anything is a feat of diplomacy, building such international popularity is most certainly just that.

kennethamy;98784 wrote:
But getting crowds into the streets cheering for they did not know what. That is not a feat of diplomacy. Maybe a feat of propaganda. Maybe a feat of personality. But not a feat of diplomacy.

Propaganda and personality are all vital aspects of diplomacy.

And you say yourself why people were cheering in the streets, so you should know better than to say those people did not know why they cheered. They cheered because America had a viable Presidential candidate who was in many ways the polar opposite of Bush.

kennethamy;98784 wrote:
And whose racial prejudice did he overcome? The Europeans? Just what are you talking about?

Centuries of American racial prejudice. You might try any basic overview of American history if you'd like to learn more about that subject.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98793 wrote:

Centuries of American racial prejudice. You might try any basic overview of American history if you'd like to learn more about that subject.

How has that anything to do with diplomacy? I guess it's any port in the storm. Soon you will attribute a mild winter to his diplomacy.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 10:56 am
@kennethamy,
By what practice do you imagine Obama overcame that racial prejudice in his diplomatic campaign to be elected President of the US? You can figure this one out.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98793 wrote:
Yes, currency means something. But I'm not talking about monetary speculation. I'm talking about public opinion. There were polls done internationally that showed Obama to have favorability ratings around the world in the 70 and 80 percent range. And this was all prior to his election. What's the point? This man gave people around the world hope: hope that America, that bellicose world tyrant, might live up to it's potential as the graceful world leader. That is an accomplishment.

Yea, currency certainly means much more than a few possibly biased opinion polls. When people put their money where their mouth is, they aren't throwing dollars at America, because they have little confidence in this country's ability to repay its debts. That says a LOT. Look at opinion polls done around any new president's election time, and they are quite favorable...wait until the end of his term to look at these and then decide. And once again, how does being popular have anything to do with promoting peace? :sarcastic: If delivering popular, lubby-dubby, hopeful messages to the world round is promoting peace, then I guess each member of The Beatles really should have received that nobel prize...

Quote:
Please nothing at all. Sure, many people came before Obama, King being one of them. I never once contested that. However, Barack Obama does happen to be of African American heritage, and he did manage to overcome a massive racial barrier by getting himself elected. That, too, is an accomplishment.

Yep, it's a great personal accomplishment that he got elected. Diplomatic? Not quite. He could be black, white, yellow, or green, but until he backs up his rhetoric with action, it doesn't matter to me. And remember, he managed to beat McCain and Palin, who were running for their party on the coattails of one of the most unpopular presidents in history. Most of the prejudice (political, not racial) was on Obama and the democrats' side, not the other way around.

Quote:
What rose tinted glasses? It's strange what people assume, isn't it? If you want to hear someone criticize Obama, I'd be happy to oblige you. However, my criticisms in no way diminish his accomplishments thus far.

I don't care to read anymore criticism of Obama, but you are short-sightedly optimistic about his so-called accomplishments thus far, and so too is the nobel prize committee.

Quote:
And why people continue to talk about his time in office is beyond me. Mankind is capable of accomplishment without being the President. What's worse, your argument assumes that he cannot make real accomplishments without being in office for some extended period of time. Let me give you a hypothetical: if he ended world hunger before his first term was up, would it still be too soon to say he accomplished something? Obviously not. Give credit where credit is due. He has made monumental steps in rebuilding international trust and hope in America, and his the success of his Presidential campaign was a remarkable feat of political wit and overcoming racial prejudice.

I never made any argument about measuring people's successes, except for one about how your measurement seems to be inaccurate. But, yea, I'd say for a president, it would be prudent to make these judgments at the end of a term, considering that one success or accomplishment can easily be overshadowed by a huge failure. Look at Bush's first term for example. To claim that I would actually make an argument that someone can't accomplish something unless it's drawn out over some time frame is an insult to my intelligence really...but I'll let it slide, as you apparently can't see beyond your obamamania glasses and fellow fanboy opinion polls.

You again say that Obama has made all these accomplishments, yet I'm waiting to hear what they are, aside from getting elected and being popular.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 11:57 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98796 wrote:
By what practice do you imagine Obama overcame that racial prejudice in his diplomatic campaign to be elected President of the US? You can figure this one out.

We were talking about foreign diplomacy. You know that. Let's not abuse words.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 06:04 am
@kennethamy,
Pangloss;98798 wrote:
And once again, how does being popular have anything to do with promoting peace?

In the case of Obama, his popularity was the international response to his stated policies toward the war on terror. Instead of an ill-informed, bellicose strategy, Obama managed to display a bit of understanding that people around the world appreciated. His policies, which made him popular, were more peaceful than Bush's, and the international response, which was immense favor, gave Obama greater latitude to exercise his policies should he get elected. And he was, as we know, subsequently elected.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
If delivering popular, lubby-dubby, hopeful messages to the world round is promoting peace, then I guess each member of The Beatles really should have received that nobel prize...

I am not saying that Obama should or should not have recieved the prize - what I am saying is that people who claim Obama has done nothing or object that he has not been in office long enough to have accomplished anything are mistaken.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
Yep, it's a great personal accomplishment that he got elected. Diplomatic? Not quite.

Do you seriously want to suggest that Presidential elections do not involve diplomacy?

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
He could be black, white, yellow, or green, but until he backs up his rhetoric with action, it doesn't matter to me.

So what? What matters to you is irrelevant when the question is 'has Obama accomplished anything?' Again, I'm not saying he deserves the prize, I'm simply responding to fantastical criticism of the man.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
And remember, he managed to beat McCain and Palin, who were running for their party on the coattails of one of the most unpopular presidents in history. Most of the prejudice (political, not racial) was on Obama and the democrats' side, not the other way around.

Yet he also managed to beat a prominent field of Democratic contenders as well. And they were most certainly not running on Bush' coattails.

Besides, you are here talking about political prejudice, while I am talking about American racial prejudice.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
I don't care to read anymore criticism of Obama, but you are short-sightedly optimistic about his so-called accomplishments thus far, and so too is the nobel prize committee.

How can I possibly be short sighted when I am not even attempting to look into the future? I think you want a different phrase.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
But, yea, I'd say for a president, it would be prudent to make these judgments at the end of a term, considering that one success or accomplishment can easily be overshadowed by a huge failure.

Let us remember what judgments are being made: we are not talking about his success as a President, we are talking about the man's lifetime contribution to peace in this world. As a matter of fact, he has managed to accomplish something not insignificant to that end.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
Look at Bush's first term for example. To claim that I would actually make an argument that someone can't accomplish something unless it's drawn out over some time frame is an insult to my intelligence really...but I'll let it slide, as you apparently can't see beyond your obamamania glasses and fellow fanboy opinion polls.

You said "Give him at least until the end of the term before you begin to claim that he has restored faith in America or overcome racial prejudice". Your words, buddy. Meanwhile, in reality, he has bolstered confidence in America, and he overcame a long history of extreme racial prejudice in the course of his Presidential campaign.

I don't favor much of what the man has done in office, so when you sling these allegations about my taste for Obama you do so without basis. I really don't need to insult your intelligence if you prefer to do so on your own by drawing conclusions without a single premise other than your own imaginations.

Pangloss;98798 wrote:
You again say that Obama has made all these accomplishments, yet I'm waiting to hear what they are, aside from getting elected and being popular.

Aside from... so you do recognize that the man has accomplishments? Well, now that was my whole point. Unless you want to object to the notion that these accomplishments promote peace, at least to some degree, there isn't any more to debate.

kennethamy;98806 wrote:
We were talking about foreign diplomacy. You know that. Let's not abuse words.

We were talking about foreign diplomacy. We were also talking about the domestic issue of race in the United States. Two issues, both regarding Obama's accomplishments, which you have apparently conflated as one issue.

There's no need to rush responses, you do have time to read a post before hitting the reply button.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98962 wrote:
In the case of Obama, his popularity was the international response to his stated policies toward the war on terror. Instead of an ill-informed, bellicose strategy, Obama managed to display a bit of understanding that people around the world appreciated. His policies, which made him popular, were more peaceful than Bush's, and the international response, which was immense favor, gave Obama greater latitude to exercise his policies should he get elected. And he was, as we know, subsequently elected.

Yes, again, in so many words, you've just stated, "Obama is popular", and have not said anything more about his work that was supposedly done to promote peace. If he becomes popular by promoting policies during his campaign that will improve peaceful relations around the world, I'm all for that. The problem is that those policies have yet to see the light of day in the real world.

I am not saying that Obama should or should not have recieved the prize - what I am saying is that people who claim Obama has done nothing or object that he has not been in office long enough to have accomplished anything are mistaken.

Well, then you're not responding to me, because I didn't say these things. Obama has definitely done many things, and even a few of them I suppose could be considered accomplishments. And of course he has been in office long enough to do many things. Yet, I just objected to what you stated in this thread here:

You do not believe rebuilding trust, hope, and faith in America around the world to be a diplomatic accomplishment? You do not believe overcoming centuries of racial prejudice by virtue of ideas and eloquence to be a diplomatic accomplishment?

Because this was quite an exaggeration, and I'd like you to do the same thing that you requested Kennethamy do, when you said:

Didymos Thomas;98752 wrote:

If you can't see that your above exaggeration about Obama's 'diplomatic accomplishments' is not an argument of personal political ideology, then my point here is not being made. I'm not anti-obama, and I don't care about the peace prize, yet I am wary when any political figure is backed by near-rabid supporters who view their favorite politician so favorably that they fail to remain objective.

Do you seriously want to suggest that Presidential elections do not involve diplomacy?

Sure, every president has to look like a diplomat when getting elected, this is a part of the popularity contest. I don't care about this type of diplomacy as much as I do real diplomatic efforts that are made, after someone is elected to office, when states, countries, and groups with vastly different ideologies can be unified with at least an idea of mutual respect. Obama has a lot of fans, but he has yet to accomplish something like this at a deeper level. He has these fans, because they have invested hope in the man, due to his words. He will lose these fans (as he already has been), the longer he goes on without acting on his words.

So what? What matters to you is irrelevant when the question is 'has Obama accomplished anything?' Again, I'm not saying he deserves the prize, I'm simply responding to fantastical criticism of the man.

No, the question of this thread is about whether or not he's accomplished enough to deserve a peace prize. I don't care about this, and was just responding to your own fanatical support for the man...

Yet he also managed to beat a prominent field of Democratic contenders as well. And they were most certainly not running on Bush' coattails.

Besides, you are here talking about political prejudice, while I am talking about American racial prejudice.

Well, you say that Obama overcame such great racial prejudice getting elected. I say, Obama getting elected simply proves that American racial prejudice was not as bad as we thought it was. The opinion polls showed that most Americans didn't care about race in an election, and the results proved that to be somewhat accurate.

How can I possibly be short sighted when I am not even attempting to look into the future? I think you want a different phrase.

Ok...how about panglossian? :bigsmile:

Let us remember what judgments are being made: we are not talking about his success as a President, we are talking about the man's lifetime contribution to peace in this world. As a matter of fact, he has managed to accomplish something not insignificant to that end.

I'm not sure how anyone goes about measuring 'peace', or measuring 'contributions to peace', but I'm quite sure that just talking about it, when running for election, is not quite enough to be awarded for it. Actions speak louder than words, and he's had several months to take some now, which you and I agree is long enough, yet he really hasn't.

You said "Give him at least until the end of the term before you begin to claim that he has restored faith in America or overcome racial prejudice". Your words, buddy. Meanwhile, in reality, he has bolstered confidence in America, and he overcame a long history of extreme racial prejudice in the course of his Presidential campaign.

As I said, Obama's popularity is no measure of confidence in America itself, but investments are one good measure, and in this regard, confidence was and is very low. And here you go again talking about Obama overcoming a long history or prejudice, when really, that prejudice was overcome by many other civil rights fighters, and Obama himself surely did recognize this. Again, he got elected not because he himself killed the prejudice, but because people just liked him as a man and politician; race factored little into their decisions, because, as proven by the result of the election, it really was not a big concern. Others had apparently made enough headroom in this regard, prior to Obama.

Quote:
Aside from... so you do recognize that the man has accomplishments? Well, now that was my whole point. Unless you want to object to the notion that these accomplishments promote peace, at least to some degree, there isn't any more to debate.
Duh. I mentioned in at least one other post that he has 'accomplishments', yes. The question of this thread is not whether or not Obama has accomplished ANYTHING, it's whether or not his accomplishments are deserving of an award for promoting peace. Big difference. However, this question is really useless, because any answers will inherently be subjective, and so discussing it on this thread amounts to yet another popularity contest. We are not on the nobel committee.

So, my whole point is/was that your statements show bias in support of Obama, just as you perceived others' to be biased against him. This was the only argument I was trying to make in my first response to you, and now you've dragged this discussion off on a tangent where you are putting words in my mouth about Obama not accomplishing anything, or Obama not being able to accomplish things in a certain time frame.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:21 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;99017 wrote:
Yes, again, in so many words, you've just stated, "Obama is popular", and have not said anything more about his work that was supposedly done to promote peace. If he becomes popular by promoting policies during his campaign that will improve peaceful relations around the world, I'm all for that. The problem is that those policies have yet to see the light of day in the real world.

Except that the Obama administration has already begun the winding down of involvement in Iraq. Check the news, man.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
Well, then you're not responding to me, because I didn't say these things. Obama has definitely done many things, and even a few of them I suppose could be considered accomplishments.

And this was one of my points in the last post: you jumped into this conversation with me carrying a load of assumptions about my beliefs and thoughts that are simply untrue. Drop those assumptions and the conversation may very well become productive.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
Because this was quite an exaggeration

Again, there were polls conducted which are evidence that Obama helped to rebuild that hope and trust, and it is a matter of fact that Obama's election was a huge push forward for race relations in America. No exaggeration there, buddy.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
If you can't see that your above exaggeration about Obama's 'diplomatic accomplishments' is not an argument of personal political ideology, then my point here is not being made.

It is no exaggeration. Again, I have hard numbers, and a stack of books in the corner on African American history for some perspective on his triumph as it regards race in America. If you'd like to start a thread discussing the enormity of this triumph, I'd be happy to share.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
yet I am wary when any political figure is backed by near-rabid supporters who view their favorite politician so favorably that they fail to remain objective.

"Near-rabid", "their favorite" - again, I don't like most of Obama's policies. I'm generally displeased with his work thus far. Drop the assumptions. Sheesh.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
Sure, every president has to look like a diplomat when getting elected, this is a part of the popularity contest. I don't care about this type of diplomacy as much as I do real diplomatic efforts that are made, after someone is elected to office, when states, countries, and groups with vastly different ideologies can be unified with at least an idea of mutual respect. Obama has a lot of fans, but he has yet to accomplish something like this at a deeper level. He has these fans, because they have invested hope in the man, due to his words. He will lose these fans (as he already has been), the longer he goes on without acting on his words.

Ah, but your personal preferences do not change the fact that he managed aforementioned diplomatic accomplishment. And you want me to be more objective? Give me a break.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
No, the question of this thread is about whether or not he's accomplished enough to deserve a peace prize. I don't care about this, and was just responding to your own fanatical support for the man...

Except that I never once supported the man, nor the awarding of the prize to him. Again, you are coming into the discussion late and with preconceived notions that make fruitful conversation impossible, and reduce the discourse to me explaining the extent of your straw men. It's getting old quickly. Especially because you keep insisting that I believe and think in ways that I have already said I do not.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
Well, you say that Obama overcame such great racial prejudice getting elected. I say, Obama getting elected simply proves that American racial prejudice was not as bad as we thought it was. The opinion polls showed that most Americans didn't care about race in an election, and the results proved that to be somewhat accurate.

Again, if you'd like to start a thread on that particular subject, I'd be happy to clear up this misguided belief. In this thread, for the moment, I'm far too busy correcting the assumptions you are making about me, personally.

Pangloss;99017 wrote:
I'm not sure how anyone goes about measuring 'peace', or measuring 'contributions to peace', but I'm quite sure that just talking about it, when running for election, is not quite enough to be awarded for it. Actions speak louder than words, and he's had several months to take some now, which you and I agree is long enough, yet he really hasn't.

How many times do I have to say it: I am not advocating the Nobel decision to give Obama the award, I am simply saying that it is blatantly false to say that the man has no accomplishments to speak of, and absurd to argue that he should be in office longer before his efforts can be duly considered.

You know what, forget it. Again and again I tell you what I'm doing in this thread, and again and again you, inexplicably, accuse me of the opposite.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;99022 wrote:

You know what, forget it. Again and again I tell you what I'm doing in this thread, and again and again you, inexplicably, accuse me of the opposite.

All I'm going by is what you've written. I don't need any preconceived notions about you personally to see what you've written, and why would I want any? Your statements about Obama's accomplishments, in my opinion, are gross exaggerations. I'm not trying to say anything more than this, and I don't know you personally, so I'm not trying to go there.

You obviously don't get it, so I won't waste my time anymore. Thanks.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:47 am
@Pangloss,
Well, in that case, we will both save time - me by not having any further reason to respond to your accusations, and you having no further reason to invent personal intentions attributed to myself. Awesome.
0 Replies