President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:37 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;97861 wrote:
Oh, so the reasons are not fatuous - you just disagree with the criteria for being deserving of the award in the first place.

OH, fatuous they certainly are. But I don't have them at my fingertips. I would have to go back an do some research to find them. But, never fear, they were fatuous.
No one is awarded a prize for something he did not do. That is clear enough.

Later:

Jagland said that was never an issue for the Nobel committee, which followed the guidelines set forth by Alfred Nobel, the Swedish industrialist and inventor of dynamite who established the prize in his 1895 will.
"Alfred Nobel wrote that the prize should go to the person who has contributed most to the development of peace in the previous year," Jagland said. "Who has done more for that than Barack Obama?"

Jagland is the chairman of the committee. Just consider what he says here. He asks (rhetorically) whether anyone has done more for peace in the previous year. People have offered name after name of people who, they believe have done more for peace in the previous year than Obama. But that is not even the point. Jagland implies that the award had to be given out. And that is not true. He need not have made the award at all. But, worse, just because someone has done something for peace, how does it follow that, (1) others have not done as much, and, (2) that the amount done is worth of the prize even if no one has done more?

The appropriate word is, "fatuous". Believe me.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:45 am
@kennethamy,
I think you are using a straw man. The award was not given to Obama for something he did not do; the award seems to have been given to Obama for being a progressive thinking President who is also a capable, respectable diplomat. Is it fatuous to think someone should be commended for these two qualities? I don't see how that could be the case.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:10 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;97864 wrote:
I think you are using a straw man. The award was not given to Obama for something he did not do; the award seems to have been given to Obama for being a progressive thinking President who is also a capable, respectable diplomat. Is it fatuous to think someone should be commended for these two qualities? I don't see how that could be the case.

Do you really believe that an award should be given for what in the opinion of some is "progressive"? And that an award should be given to Obama for diplomacy when he had been in office for about two weeks?

But, you asked me to say why the reasons given for the award were fatuous. Not why your reasons for his deserving the award are fatuous. I did the first by quoting the chairman of the committee's reasons for the award. And those arr clearly fatuous. Isn't that what you asked me to do?
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:49 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;96276 wrote:
His winding down of the Iraq war, and his approach to foreign policy are both accomplishments. I'm not saying he should or should not get the award, but despite the raving of many I've heard so far that Obama has done nothing, he does have some note worthy credentials behind him.
Not to mention introducing a new cliche,,,"yes we can"". Which rivals such hallmark cliches as whatever and you go girl.

---------- Post added 10-16-2009 at 09:01 AM ----------

EmperorNero;97286 wrote:

---------- Post added 10-13-2009 at 10:47 PM ----------

I actually have no idea, I head it on talk radio.
Why does that not surprise me?Very Happy
kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:40 am
@Elmud,
Elmud;97875 wrote:
Not to mention introducing a new cliche,,,"yes we can"". Which rivals such hallmark cliches as whatever and you go girl.

---------- Post added 10-16-2009 at 09:01 AM ----------

And, "defining moment", "lot on our plate"....
He needs a cliche' Czar.
Elmud

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:11 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97881 wrote:
And, "defining moment", "lot on our plate"....
He needs a cliche' Czar.
He has one. Her name is Oprah.lol
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 05:51 am
@Elmud,
kennethamy;97868 wrote:
Do you really believe that an award should be given for what in the opinion of some is "progressive"?

First, my statement was not limited to "progressive"; I also mentioned Obama being a "capable, respectable diplomat" - and both qualifications were non-existent in the previous President who caused so much suffering in this world.

So, yes, I do believe that an award such a the Peace Prize might rightly be given to someone who brings such an acute and deeply needed change to an important world office. Obama did just that.

My only issue with the award is the existence of people who may be more deserving; but this is why I have not made any direct judgment on the matter.

kennethamy;97868 wrote:
And that an award should be given to Obama for diplomacy when he had been in office for about two weeks?

Actually, he had been in office for longer than two weeks when the final decision was made.

And then there is the issue of Obama coming to office - why does it matter when Obama came into the President's office? Even before his inauguration, Obama had a great impact on the world; by the time of his inauguration he had a world tour under his belt that brought countless thousands of American loathing Europeans into the streets waving Old Glory. Even before his inauguration, he was able to re-inspire the world population of American's fundamental greatness. Even before his inauguration, he turned immense anti-American sentiment and pessimism into a glowing sense of hope about the future of America's relationship to the rest of the world. These pre-inaugural accomplishments are not insignificant.

Not to mention the fact that Obama managed, by force of ideas, to make himself into the first viable Presidential candidate of African descent in this nation's history, a history soiled with racism unimaginable. This is another massive achievement Obama obtained prior to inauguration.

kennethamy;97868 wrote:
But, you asked me to say why the reasons given for the award were fatuous. Not why your reasons for his deserving the award are fatuous. I did the first by quoting the chairman of the committee's reasons for the award. And those arr clearly fatuous. Isn't that what you asked me to do?

Oh, now that's grand - yeah, a quote than was inserted in an edit that occurred after my response. And then you want to tell me that you'd already given a response.

And, after considering the various accomplishments I listed above in this post, I think that Obama has undoubtedly made immense contributions to peace in the previous year.

His domestic accomplishment of overcoming a great racial divide, and his international accomplishment of reintroducing hope and belief in the American Dream to people worldwide are great contributions to peace. Also, being a prime contended for the Presidency and simultaneously advocating the end of American torture and the winding down of the Iraq war all add political pressure on the other candidates to make similar statements - so, even if Obama had lost, his presence in the election would have helped to promote peace worldwide by adding political pressure to the other candidates.

It seems I asked of you the impossible.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:00 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98250 wrote:

Actually, he had been in office for longer than two weeks when the final decision was made.

And then there is the issue of Obama coming to office - why does it matter when Obama came into the President's office? Even before his inauguration, Obama had a great impact on the world; by the time of his inauguration he had a world tour under his belt that brought countless thousands of American loathing Europeans into the streets waving Old Glory. Even before his inauguration, he was able to re-inspire the world population of American's fundamental greatness. Even before his inauguration, he turned immense anti-American sentiment and pessimism into a glowing sense of hope about the future of America's relationship to the rest of the world. These pre-inaugural accomplishments are not insignificant.

Not to mention the fact that Obama managed, by force of ideas, to make himself into the first viable Presidential candidate of African descent in this nation's history, a history soiled with racism unimaginable. This is another massive achievement Obama obtained prior to inauguration.

Oh, now that's grand - yeah, a quote than was inserted in an edit that occurred after my response. And then you want to tell me that you'd already given a response.

And, after considering the various accomplishments I listed above in this post, I think that Obama has undoubtedly made immense contributions to peace in the previous year.

His domestic accomplishment of overcoming a great racial divide, and his international accomplishment of reintroducing hope and belief in the American Dream to people worldwide are great contributions to peace. Also, being a prime contended for the Presidency and simultaneously advocating the end of American torture and the winding down of the Iraq war all add political pressure on the other candidates to make similar statements - so, even if Obama had lost, his presence in the election would have helped to promote peace worldwide by adding political pressure to the other candidates.

It seems I asked of you the impossible.

I had read the Chairman's statement before I sent you my remark about the reasons being fatuous. Indeed, it was that reason given by the Chairman that struck me as particularly fatuous. And I then had to look it up to cite to you.
Obama has not been in office for more than about two weeks when the nomination list was closed. So he had to be judged on that short time. To say that Obama is (or was) an accomplished diplomat is simply not true.

As for making friends: the Czechosovakians and Poles are not as delighted with us as they were with Bush since Obama sold them out to the Russian recently. And I have not notice the Iranians or the other terrorist places laying down their arms, and joining hands with Obama and singing, "Kumbaya" .
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:04 am
@Sorryel,
This early Nobel for Obama limits is action in the Future...I see it as a poisoned apple...
Foreign policy will be harder with this... less options are never good news !

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98304 wrote:
This early Nobel for Obama limits is action in the Future...I see it as a poisoned apple...
Foreign policy will be harder with this... less options are never good news !

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

Well, if it stops him from doing something stupid, that would be good news.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98352 wrote:
Well, if it stops him from doing something stupid, that would be good news.

Indeed, that is also true ! Smile
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98356 wrote:
Indeed, that is also true ! Smile

The trouble is that particular prize, and why it was given, is more likely to encourage him to do something stupid than to prevent him from doing something stupid.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 05:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 05:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98386 wrote:

We do? Why? And who is "we"?
Elmud

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 05:57 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98387 wrote:
We do? Why? And who is "we"?
Who would you prefer? I'm have no preference either way but,,there isn't anyone out there who can make any difference so,,,roll with it.,,lol.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 05:59 pm
@kennethamy,
Europe and U.S., or Western developed World in a general manner...
He brings some hope to mainstream opinion, and that is good for the economy recovery, also true when it comes United States foreign policy perception...
kennethamy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:04 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;98392 wrote:
Europe and U.S., or Western developed World in a general manner...
He brings some hope to mainstream opinion, and that is good for the economy recovery, also true when it comes United States foreign policy perception...

I don't know that it is mainstream opinion that he brings some hope to. But if he does, I am not particularly impressed by mainstream opinion.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98395 wrote:
I don't know that it is mainstream opinion that he brings some hope to. But if he does, I am not particularly impressed by mainstream opinion.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:27 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Ken, should I expect an actual response, or are you content with leaving the matter at 'what I say is just not true'?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 03:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;98514 wrote:
Ken, should I expect an actual response, or are you content with leaving the matter at 'what I say is just not true'?

Sorry. Response to what? I did not realize that a response was pending. Wasn't post #88 a response to your latest post?