President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:00 am
Wow! This is exciting. I think only US Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson, Carter and Obama have won the Peace Prize.

Maybe Obama is the best President since Teddy Roosevelt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,251 • Replies: 118
No top replies

josh0335

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:05 am
@Sorryel,
What has he done to deserve this?
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:11 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;96264 wrote:

Almost at least as much as Teddy Roosevelt and George Marshall and Al Gore. okay maybe the Marshall Plan puts G. Marshall ahead and Al Gore may have a lead as well. It's the treaty between Japan and Russia that keeps Teddy just a smidge ahead despite his Rough Rider thing.
At least Obama hasn't raised a regiment of cowboys and led them to war and charged up several hills and killed people with a big pistol. So he's still in the running versus Teddy at least.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:51 am
@Sorryel,
His winding down of the Iraq war, and his approach to foreign policy are both accomplishments. I'm not saying he should or should not get the award, but despite the raving of many I've heard so far that Obama has done nothing, he does have some note worthy credentials behind him.
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:56 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;96276 wrote:
His winding down of the Iraq war, and his approach to foreign policy are both accomplishments. I'm not saying he should or should not get the award, but despite the raving of many I've heard so far that Obama has done nothing, he does have some note worthy credentials behind him.

The prize committee themselves said it was more a matter of hoping Obama can do some good rather than a reward for accomplishments. Sarkozy said that just changing the world climate (ie, suggesting an international focus more on overall solutions rather than blowing things up) was enough of an accomplishment, but of course Sarkozy is very supportive of President Obama.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@Sorryel,
But Sarkozy is right. Imagine how the rest of the world reacts to the change from Bush to Obama - from an inept, fumbling President to a real statesman.
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 11:10 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;96279 wrote:
But Sarkozy is right. Imagine how the rest of the world reacts to the change from Bush to Obama - from an inept, fumbling President to a real statesman.

I personally think Sarkozy hit the nail on the head. The mystery of a prize for Obama has as much to do with the mystery of the polymorphous cloud of negative energy that sprouted in the immediate vicinity of GW Bush as it does with Obama who is probably one of the most all-around competent and reasonable people to be President of the US. If GW Bush had been on better terms with rationality there would not have been any clear need to give a prize to the next president just for being rational.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:14 pm
@Sorryel,
Sorryel;96263 wrote:
Wow! This is exciting. I think only US Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson, Carter and Obama have won the Peace Prize.

Maybe Obama is the best President since Teddy Roosevelt.

Why? Because he got the Prize? How does that make him a good president?

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 04:16 PM ----------

Sorryel;96283 wrote:
I personally think Sarkozy hit the nail on the head. The mystery of a prize for Obama has as much to do with the mystery of the polymorphous cloud of negative energy that sprouted in the immediate vicinity of GW Bush as it does with Obama who is probably one of the most all-around competent and reasonable people to be President of the US. If GW Bush had been on better terms with rationality there would not have been any clear need to give a prize to the next president just for being rational.

Huh? The prize was given to Obama for not being Bush?
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96336 wrote:

Huh? The prize was given to Obama for not being Bush?

It looks that way to me.

Teddy got the prize for helping end the Russo-Japanese war. I'm not sure what Wilson and Carter got their prizes for. Prizes for Ralph Bunche and Marshall seem obvious and since Obama got his for not being Bush that puts him ahead of Wilson and Carter and the moral equivalent of TR.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:19 pm
@Sorryel,
Sorryel;96283 wrote:

Any particular reason for calling Obama competent and reasonable? So, Obama got the prize for not being Bush. Is that it? But Obama is not Lincoln either. Maybe the prize should be taken from him in that case.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 04:20 PM ----------

Sorryel;96267 wrote:
Almost at least as much as Teddy Roosevelt and George Marshall and Al Gore. okay maybe the Marshall Plan puts G. Marshall ahead and Al Gore may have a lead as well. It's the treaty between Japan and Russia that keeps Teddy just a smidge ahead despite his Rough Rider thing.
At least Obama hasn't raised a regiment of cowboys and led them to war and charged up several hills and killed people with a big pistol. So he's still in the running versus Teddy at least.

Now, that really sounds logical.
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96341 wrote:
Any particular reason for calling Obama competent and reasonable? So, Obama got the prize for not being Bush. Is that it? But Obama is not Lincoln either. Maybe the prize should be taken from him in that case.

I think the prize was instituted after Lincoln's death so there's no point in taking Lincoln's prize as far as I know.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:23 pm
@Sorryel,
The normally staid and conservative, Daily Telegraph of London had the following headline today. Barack Obama Wins the Nobel. WTF? (Could not be bettered). Even Obama sounded embarrassed today, and he is one of the vainest people in the world.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 04:26 PM ----------

Sorryel;96343 wrote:
I think the prize was instituted after Lincoln's death so there's no point in taking Lincoln's prize as far as I know.

Of course not. Let Lincoln keep it even if he never received it. It was Obama's prize I meant. After all, if he got it for not being Bush, it should be taken from him for not being Lincoln. Fair is fair.
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96344 wrote:
The normally staid and conservative, Daily Telegraph of London had the following headline today. Barack Obama Wins the Nobel. WTF? (Could not be bettered). Even Obama sounded embarrassed today, and he is one of the vainest people in the world.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 04:26 PM ----------

Of course not. Let Lincoln keep it even if he never received it. It was Obama's prize I meant. After all, if he got it for not being Bush, it should be taken from him for not being Lincoln. Fair is fair.

I can't think of any cases in which the Nobel Peace Prize was taken away, but if you want to write the Nobel committee, I'm sure they would appreciate your interest and take your views into account.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:53 pm
@Sorryel,
Sorryel;96347 wrote:
I can't think of any cases in which the Nobel Peace Prize was taken away, but if you want to write the Nobel committee, I'm sure they would appreciate your interest and take your views into account.

Well, the President himself seemed so embarrassed, I would hope he would have the good sense and decency to reject it. Vain hope, I suppose. As I said, the Nobel Committee thinks he deserves it for not being Bush, so I doubt they will listen to me. But I will be sure to listen to Obama's acceptance speech in Oslo. I just can't wait to hear what he makes up. And keeps a straight face.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:24 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;96264 wrote:

Spend taxpayer money and come into work for 9 months.
0 Replies

3hermes

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:47 pm
@Sorryel,
I find it quite odd that someone would find this as some accomplishment and the Peace Prize as worthy. It may have been at one time. But it has been altered and diluted and lack any value other than for stoking someones ego.

Obama has accomplished nothing for the world other then for himself. He lacks knowledge and wisdom from a practical and realistic experience.

The programs being considered under this admin. and a few of the past admin.
has led to utter disaster not only for this country but all of humanity.

It has been a house of cards built on sand.

What suprises me is that I found this forum from a link off of Mr. Russells site.
What did he say about prevailing views and the education system of today?
Scientific thinking that is more interested in maintaining the satus qou rather then open new portals for humanity? You think it has been any different w/politics and politicians? Govt. run schools? Govt. Programs that has led to even more welfare recipients? Medicine?

The peace Prize may have stood for something noble when created. But it has devolved into a political football and make believe hollywood affair.

All husk and no kernel. Milk mixed w/water.
Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:54 pm
@3hermes,
3hermes;96376 wrote:
I find it quite odd that someone would find this as some accomplishment and the Peace Prize as worthy.

I find it odd that when the President wins a Peace Prize, the honor cannot simply be seen as what the committee says it was: an award given in hopes that the peace and prosperity of the world will be increased by the President. It seems to be a simple gesture to me, but perhaps it is the simple desire and sincerity behind the gesture that is baffling to others (though not to me).
3hermes

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:12 pm
@Sorryel,
Who are these people who decide this? How is this to accomplish peace and prosperity? Sentimental acts are nice when dealing with low level emotions or looking to obtain a date. This is a philosophy forum.

So let us take heed the advice of Pythogaras where he said; "numbers will lead one to reason." What are the numbers to justify any signifigance to this award? What have these folks(committee) produced for humanity
in the last 50 years?

Leaders of the free world have run up debts within the countries they rule that can never be paid off. A wordlwide Tsunami is hitting the world that when the tide recides we will see that the emperor had no clothes.

They have taken a sentimental view and implemented programs that do not free people thru knowledge but created a sytem where creativity and problem solving is ridiculed and rote memorization of what the high priest
at that time deemed the truth. This is progress?

What about the noble winning economist? What have they produced? Theories that were deemed trully progressive to entice the widows and orphans into debt so as to fill the coffers of these economist.

While they wrote theory upon theory violating all the laws of nature and logic by promoting that savings did not matter. Yet all the while they filled their retirement plans with there savings from the paychecks and on top of it borderline theft w/in the spirit of the law. Having us as taxpayers match there contributions in there retirement plans.

If they were Noble Men and Women, and had any backbone they should give some of the money back because industry and govt. having taken there advice is now bankrupt.

Noble prizes are not given to the tru teachers of light. But to those who know how to sell the widows and orphans a bill of goods and slavery.

Teach a man how to fish. Not just give him a fish.

This is a world where Barabus is always freed and Christ crucified.
Sentimentality has it's place. But not within knowledge and laws of nature.

Peace
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:12 pm
@Sorryel,
It is impossible to say that Obama has ruined our country. He has done absolutely nothing so far.

As for what's coming in the future, optimism is important. Pray tell to Obama, for the moment. The prize is uncalled for, but courteous nonetheless. He's a better candidate than Carter, anyway.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:37 pm
@Sorryel,
Wait, I read the whole thread and I still have this question:

How did Barack Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Don't you have to, like, do something noteworthy to win that? I guess I missed what he did while I was in the bathroom.

Oh, and what's the point of honors like this if we just hand them out like candy now? Maybe they didn't hand it out like candy. Maybe he earned it. Anyone care to explain?