Moslem Invasion of Europe.

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:24 am
And since we are talking abt those "much hated" immigrants....

Could more immigration boost the UK economy?
0 Replies

Billy sasterd

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:01 am
Well,

lets say we have 2 million more immigrants tomorrow (plus their dependants). How would the health service fuction? Should they get immediate housing and healthcare and welfare benefits even though they have not contributed a single penny into the system?

And when we hit recession, who is going to fund the unemployment benefit for all these 'excess' people.

Most immigrants into this country earn LOW wages and are therfore funded by the state (taxpayer) via free housing, free NHS, child benefits et al. The finacial resources of any country are finite.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:04 am
How does moving to an all-native neighborhood solve that problem?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
Besides that question by Butrflynet - who will spend this money?
Quote:
It is estimated for 2003 that the UK's foreign-born population contributes about 10% more to government revenues than it receives in state expenditure.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:13 am
First, you are talking of an impossible scenario. There is no way the govt will allow 2MM immigrants inside the country in one shot.

Second, you have to differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants. If you are talking abt illegal immigrants, then I dont think they get the facilities you are talking abt - on paper yes, in reality I dont think so.

Third, as far as people taking more out of the society than they are putting in (and I al talking abt legal immigrants only), pls do not measure it in monetry terms only. You are insulting the hard labour these people do just so that we can live in relative comfort.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:20 am
Billy, that was a cheap shot about not needing to read about Arabs and Muslims--my remark was addressed to Au after his comment that Muslims are less tolerant than others. I suspect you know that, which is why i call that a cheap shot.

The city of Toronto is the largest in Canada, and fourth or fifth largest in North America (depends on whether or not the next census shows a larger population than Chicago). It has large populations of precisely the same immigrants you mention, and for the same reasons--immigration from the Commonwealth, and from nations which have known the tender mercies of British imperialism. The Canadians are at great pains to assure that any immigrant population can have schools which will educate their children in the language and culture of the immigrants' homelands. This means Muslims--and it means Sikhs, Bengalis, Hindus, Pakistanis, Africans of all descriptions, West Indian Islanders. It does not mean that anyone wears the burka, or a turban, unless that is their preference. Canadian policy is not only not to require any sort of assimilation, but to help these immigrants preserve their languages and culutre--and it works. Toronto is home to two very large communities--Portugese and Italian. They are there in sufficiently large numbers that there are several successful Portugese and Italian radio stations and television stations. Some of the best delis in Toronto are Portugese (with the Polish and Russian delis in hot pursuit), and many of the best restaurants are Italian. This does not mean that your granddaughters would have to convert to Catholicism if they moved there. Although you may genuinely consider yourself not to be racist, and i am unwilling to accuse you of dissembling about it, your rhetoric is very much that of the racist, and it simply does not follow that living among people of different cultures will require you to abandon your own; nor will your granddaughters be so obliged.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:38 am
Speaking about "natives".

from the 1911 issue of the Britannica about Billy's hometown, formerly known as 'Bolton-le-Moors':
Quote:

In 1337 the industry received an impulse from the settlement of a great party of Flemish clothiers, and extended so greatly that when it was found necessary in 1566 to appoint by act of parliament deputies to assist the aulnegers ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:43 am
Set

A belated birthday, btw, young man!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:44 am
Donkey shins, WH, as them Dutchmen say . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:51 am
By pure incidence, I just received an email, announcing a lecture about:
Quote:
Coming - Going - Staying - Returning: Migratory Itineraries between
Economic Constraints, Individual Choice, and Collective Networking

and
Quote:
Catholic Workers from Galicia as Contracted Labour in Early Twentieth
Century Protestant Sweden

might be of interest as well - but it's all in Vienna Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:52 am
That is a bummer, Valter, i don't speak nor read Vienna neither . . . is it difficult to learn?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:59 am
Yes.

And the next time, Tetanta, I will read and re-read my responses, give them away for a check at the English Department of our univerity and give it finally to Marie Bernard-Meunier, ambassadrice du Canada en Allemagne for the final inspection. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:00 pm
There was nothing wrong with your English, Boss, i was just being obtuse in order to amuse myself . . .

. . . a clear-cut case of self-amuse . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Billy sasterd

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
Setanta,

My point exactly. As a UK and commonwealth citizen, it would be very difficult for me to emigrate to Canada as they have the same kind of immigration policy as the US. And the US certainly does not want any immigrants from the UK.....we are not even allowed to enter the Green Card Lottery. Now if I was from an ethnic minority..............
0 Replies

Billy sasterd

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:21 pm
Well,

at least I now have newbie staus
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:24 pm
Billy sasterd wrote:
And the US certainly does not want any immigrants from the UK.....we are not even allowed to enter the Green Card Lottery. Now if I was from an ethnic minority..............

.... or German, Belgian, Dutch, Danish, Swiss, Austrian, French .............
0 Replies

Billy sasterd

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:31 pm
Walter,

U think the Us does not like us Brits........
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:33 pm
Well, might be.

And not citizens from Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, South Korea,United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Vietnam.
0 Replies

Billy sasterd

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:37 pm
Hmmmmmm

Wonder why Northern Ireland.....
0 Replies