The Confederacy was About Slavery

High Seas

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not so - the Census numbers for 1860 aren't in dispute. Farmerman's arithmetic (remember he wrote:" 9000000-4350000=4850000") may well be Smile
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
However, the point I made was that the importation of slaves did not stop with any " Banning" of the importation from Africa . AND traffic via the CAribbean was quite healthy into the Civil war cause the industry needing slaves was growing. Cotton and tobacdco were (qnd are ) intensive care =for crops.

Ok that is your claim now give us some little tiny tiny tiny little backing for it.

You must had come across this information you are so sure of somewhere so where did you get this information?

That is not all that hard of a question now is it?

Or are you just assuming that to be true base on the wordings of the anti-import slaves laws??????
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am going by the US census of 1860 and I gave a link and the numbers is 3.5 millions not 3.9 millions and most people do not round up 3.5 to 4 too often.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:00 pm
@BillRM,
I provided the tiny, tiny, bit of backing for it that identified Cuba's transfer of slaves to the US. I also provided the source for that information. It's up to you to provide evidence that what they state is not true.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:01 pm
@BillRM,
You didn't read my post that shows 3.9 million slaves. It you wish to refute that number from Wiki, you'll have to provide credible evidence to the contrary.

This is from civilwar.net.

Quote:
Total - 1860 CENSUS

Total Population 31,183.582

Free Colored Persons 476,748

Total Free Population 27,233,198

Total Number of Slaves 3,950,528

My note: Looks like four (4) million to most people.

Slaves as % of Population 13%

Total Number of Families 5,155,608

Total Number of Slaveholders 393,975

% of Families Owning Slaves 8%
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:06 pm
And in the 1820s, Jim Bowie, the "hero" of the Alamo, conspired with the pirate Jean Lafite, who was smuggling slaves into the country. Bowie figured out a way to inform on Lafite, who was by then safely away, and collect a reward for the "capture" of the slaves, who were then sold legally at auction, where Bowie bought them cheaply and "legally" and resold them usually in LA for a profit. He and Lafite pulled the scam at least three times. Great "heroes" you have, Texas.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I did not see you claimed link because I normally have you on ignore however it was Famerman who was making this claim so it is famerman who I would like to see a link from.

If you had shown him a link then my request should not be too hard for him to grant.

Poor man already were going by your word that there was more slaves then whites in the south and got hung as a result.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@BillRM,
As I recall, farmerman already admitted his mistake. What more do you want from him?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:14 pm
@BillRM,
You should keep me on Ignore as a favor to me!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I provided the tiny, tiny, bit of backing .... It's up to you to provide evidence that what they state is not true.

It's up to you to show the 1860 Census data were falsified (by whom? and for what purpose?!) Nobody else has to show anything about your sources.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:20 pm
@High Seas,
For me to prove that the 1860 census was falsified? Do you understand anything about logic?

But, I repeat myself!
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh I just gone to the wikipedia to check out your claims that the slave population in the south was 3.9 millions and found that wikipedia gave a table showing that the slave popultaion in the south in 1860 were 3.5 millions however the slave population in the north was 400,ooo. For a total of 3.9 millions both north and south.

See the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

Now NJ have some tiny numbers of slaves very late however I am assuming that the 400,000 numbers came from the border states that remain loyal to the north and was never part of the Confederation.

Now if you would wish to count those slaves as part of the south instead of the north then you would also need to count the white population in those border states.
Ionus

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
I think it is not so much Ionus pointing out an alleged fallacy as it is Ionus being constitutionally incapable of agreeing with anyone else
Hate to tell you, but I see not much point in posting to say I agree with someone . They usually have said it better than I could anyway . There are also topics I have no interest in . Occasionally, I find it worth my time to highlight a particular post that I do agree with...this leaves nothing but posts where I disagree with someone . If you had the intelligence, you would have worked this out for yourself . Was your post agreeing with me or disagreeing with me ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:37 pm
@Joe Nation,
If you had of read from the beginning, you would have remembered I sddressed this with a simple flow diagram .

Need for money > slavery > criticism of slavers > justification of slavery

Quote:
The issues causing the war didn't fly out full blown on the day Ft. Sumter was attacked.
Agreed .

Quote:
How many Compromises were there between 1820 and 1861?
I couldnt tell you without looking it up, but I do know there were a lot...an awful lot . But they were FAILED compromises that ended in war .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:39 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
The importation of slaves into the US had already been banned for over a decade before the 1820 "start date" you mention.
It is interesting to note the main force that stopped the import of slaves was it became uneconomical.....they could still have imported them if they didnt care about money .
Ionus

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:41 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Taking Able2Know too seriously will give you an agitated state of mind.
Will you be addressing those who posted an opposite opinion ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
the fact that slavery was the basis of a large part of the economy of the South, start with the fact that slaveholders were a large part of the political and economic elites of the South and saw what they perceived as their rights and their wealth threatened
(emphasis added) You said it right there....money .
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:49 pm
Am I the only one who kind of feel sorry for the border states who did remain loyal to the union and yet have their slaves worth 100s of millions of dollars free and did not get pay for them.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:49 pm
@Ionus,
Of course economics was ultimately behind the import ban, but there was also a section in article 1 of the original text of the Constitution as adopted in 1787.
Quote:
Section 9. The migration or importation of such persons as any of the states now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax or duty may be imposed on such importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each person.

NB bold added
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 06:51 pm
@BillRM,
Ive rejected the slave count in north and the border states because the border states like Va and Md, became a source for slaves sold "South" before the Civil war. SInce the price for slaves doubled from 1807 till the start of the civil war, it became interesting that "(from Sesquicentenno site of Civil War)'That the number of slave children born between 1807 and 1860, approximated the number of slaves sold "south" during this time.

However A UNESCO report in 1977 by Dr Jose Luciano Franco identifieed the post 1807 infractions and piracy to smuggle and ship slaves in the "Middle passage" and these wound up in the Caribbean islands (mostly Cuba) and thence to the US South

I was unable to clip it due to its format. Ill clip it in the AM and send a relevant section about slave piracy during antebellum time

PS The north had reported about 9000 slaves , with most of that number in NJ and Delaware (which was actually considered a slave state like Md and Va before the war)