The Confederacy was About Slavery

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 09:13 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Really ? So the USA flag is a symbol of the attack against slavery

No, the U.S. flag is a symbol of The United States of America. You don't make a lick of sense here.

Quote:
They are racists .

I'm sure a good chunk of them probably are.

Quote:
You know this because of your professional qualifications and having spoken to all of them ?

I've lived in the former Confederacy for the past 22 years, I have a pretty good idea whats happening here.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 11:54 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
I can understand that there must be a unique and powerful feeling of shame knowing that their ancestors fought and died to preserve such an indefensible evil, but enough is enough.
Aha ! You are a lovely person fighting evil....are you sure ? Perhaps this is why it is so hard for yankees to see the true reason for the war .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 11:59 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
Quote:
No, the U.S. flag is a symbol of The United States of America. You don't make a lick of sense here.
That is due to your limitations . If the conferate flag represents figthing for slavery, then the USA flag represents fighting against slavery . How can it be otherwise ? Two sides of the same coin .

Quote:
Quote:
They are racists .
Would the re-enactors interested in Napoleonic War be French Imperialists or do your generalisations only apply to Southerners ? Would Medieval re-enactors all have the plague and believe in torture ?

Quote:
I've lived in the former Confederacy for the past 22 years, I have a pretty good idea whats happening here.
Pity you didnt live in Chigago and the west and see the racism there too .
0 Replies

ABE5177

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:23 am
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
They are racists .

Quote:
You know this because of your professional qualifications and having spoken to all of them ?

what prfofessional qualifications?
pop psychology?
youe learned notheing in 22 years?
Quote:
“Sirs, you have no reason to be ashamed of your Confederate dead;
see to it they have no reason to be ashamed of you.”
–Robert Lewis Dabney, Stonewall Jackson’s Chaplain

http://www.css-shenandoah.com/images/AK_Flag_FNF.jpg
http://www.css-shenandoah.com/
do you know how many flags of the confederacy are in the museum in rigchmond?
it's not one
you insult with your ingonorance

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:46 am
Just for the record, and because the nitwits here seem to need reminding, the subject is that the Confederate States were founded to preserve the institution of slavery. The subject is not, and never has been why the North fought the war.
LionTamerX

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:26 am
@Setanta,
I'm getting the feeling that Ionus is a drug war re-enactor.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:32 am
I'm sure heavy drug abuse is involved somehow.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:45 am
I don't know why, but suddenly I remember this former Russian officer (was in Afghanistan etc), then a citizen of Israel, who finally posted from a psychiatric hospital and then disappeared.

War traumata can be really bad. And lead to some surprising effects.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you mean Steissd?
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
He is often on other threads hinting that hes on heavy pain meds from his experience in the military. Well, while I feel sorry for that plight and I empathize, it is never a valid excuse for bad behavior.For that we all bear our own responsibility.
If we want to honor the men that lived or died under command, we shouldnt be using lunaticky posting on a bulletin board . It somehow dishonors them.

snood

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:06 am
Hey A2Kers-who-are-not -slavery-deniers,

I think it may be that the APA needs to look into adding a new disorder into the DSM.

I'm serious. Look at the impenetrable dissonance; the venomous acrimony...

I think that for some, the exquisite pain of waking up, day in and day out, in a world that has a black man as POTUS and a black family living in the White House, has actually caused emotional dysfunction in some of our dear brethern.

Maybe they could call it Obama Adjustment Disorder.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:14 am
@Setanta,
Exactly, forgot his name
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:17 am
@snood,
slavery denial predates Obamas term by a goodly length of time. Its been a part of many op ed pieces for years here in our section of the countryside. As a kid, I remember this "letters to the editor" battle about the "lost cause" ,"states rights" , and other code words . All that was being run while the nation commemorated the 100th anniversay of the Civil War. So every time one of the big battles was comemorated, the newspaper would run the deniers and the historians POV's to show that the war aint necessarily decided.The news articles werent full of real analyses they were mostly extremely long articles full of general names and hour by hour events by these same generals and their corps. (A very boring way to present history)
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:25 am
@snood,
I think that for the clown from down under, it's just a case of arguing for argument's sake--he so obviously knows nothing about the subject. But for others, yeah, it looks like it galls the hell out of them that there are successful black men and women. In fact, i suspect that it galls the hell out of them that there are any people around who are not white Protestants. Some of the worst cases of fundamentalists hate Jews and Catholics, too--although some modify it by deluding themselves that when the last trump sounds, the truly righteous among the Jews will convert.

This page at Wikipedia tells about the Lily-Whites who drove blacks from the Republican Party. But its focus is really too narrow. The Lily Whites were more than just a political movement among Republicans, they were a social movement among Protestants (that's what the "Lily" part refers to), and it was strong both in the North and the South. They were anti-Jew and anti-Catholic, too, and therefore, anti-immigrant (they characterized all immigrants as Jews and Catholics). Thomas Nast, the famous political cartoonist, was virulently anti-Catholic, and specifically, anti-Irish. Even Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., probably the last Republican President for generations to make direct appeals for the black vote, was racist in this white Protestant tradition. Based on the then popular theory that white Protestants had an obligation to rule the world (C.f. Kipling's "The White Man's Burden"), Roosevelt called Margaret Sanger a race traitor, because her birth control campaign would, he claimed, reduce the number of white Protestant babies born in the country.

I think it's a basic racism which has not only never been eradicated, but which has been cherished, if only behind closed doors. Yeah, Mr. Obama must drive them goofy boys crazy.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 05:31 am
As ugly as it is, i think it is germane to post Rudyard Kipling's poem, "The White Man's Burden." He wrote it addressing the Americans, upon their victory in the Spanish War, with particular reference to the conquest of the Philippine Islands.

Take up the White Man's burden--
Send forth the best ye breed--
Go, bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;
To wait, in heavy harness,
On fluttered folk and wild--
Your new-caught sullen peoples,
Half devil and half child.

In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple,
An hundred times made plain,
To seek another's profit
And work another's gain.

The savage wars of peace--
Fill full the mouth of Famine,
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.

No iron rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper--
The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter,
The roads ye shall not tread,
Go, make them with your living
And mark them with your dead.

Take up the White Man's burden,
And reap his old reward--
The blame of those ye better
The hate of those ye guard--
The cry of hosts ye humour
(Ah, slowly!) toward the light:--
"Why brought ye us from bondage,
Our loved Egyptian night?"

Ye dare not stoop to less--
Nor call too loud on Freedom
To cloak your weariness.
By all ye will or whisper,
By all ye leave or do,
The silent sullen peoples
Shall weigh your God and you.

Take up the White Man's burden!
Have done with childish days--
The lightly-proffered laurel,
The easy ungrudged praise:
Comes now, to search your manhood
Through all the thankless years,
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom,
The judgment of your peers.

The arrogance and hubris is appalling, no?
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:42 am
@Setanta,
So you agree the North fought the war for power....well that didnt take long Rolling Eyes
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:44 am
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that Ionus is a drug war re-enactor.
And I get the feeling you are just another of these clowns running with the pack . Have you considered using your intelligence ? Why did they have slavery, because that was what they were fighting for, not slavery itself .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:44 am
@Ionus,
The North fought the war to preserve the Union. The idiotic crap that you post about American history, from the depths of your ignorance, has nothing to do with either reality, or what i post.

What we have here is a classic example of the straw man argument. You're not even very good at it, either.
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:45 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm sure heavy drug abuse is involved somehow.
Unfortunately with you, **** for brains, it is just unadulterated confusion and ego .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
War traumata can be really bad. And lead to some surprising effects.
You can cite a glossy magazine you read that in ?