The Confederacy was About Slavery

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's to be expected; they like to revise history to their own liking. It's as bad as their attempts to change this country with extremism. I believe it bodes badly for the tea party and GOP in the next election; just a gut feeling.

I think the whole idea behind the wave of revisionist history coming from the radical right is tied to the move away from the printed page towards the electronic one. As fewer and fewer young readers get their history from textbooks, and rely more on the internet for their "facts", we are bound to have an increase in misinformed little scholars running around believing whatever spew the conservatives are peddling.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:43 pm
@LionTamerX,
There are good examples of that on a2k; the likes of okie, ican, and a few others post their ideas straight out of their playbook. They no longer understand what's fact or fiction, and they spew away like parrots with no brains.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You come in here, knowing nothing about the subject, just to argue for argument's sake.
It takes two to argue .You have shown no knowledge on the subject that I couldnt have got from a grade 5 history book .

You demonstrate in every thread you inflict yourself on that you know nothing but the most cursory glance of a topic . Your arguments consist of what every non-historian gathers about history from watching movies .

Quote:
whose ancestors were the victims of the institution of slavery which caused the war.
Here we go...drag out the "I's just a poor nigger massa...I'll work hard...yous see....dont beat me massa!" card . How do you know his ancestors werent the ones who went out and rounded up the slaves in Africa ? Or who sold then on the coast to the white man ? Or who whipped the bad niggers into line ? Or who emigrated to the USA later as free men ?

Quote:
That's because you have no shame and no decency. You're a pathetic excuse for a human being.
I missed the part where I could give a **** about your opinion .....

Now dont forget to tell everyone how you dont like ad hominems...well, not ones aimed AT you anyway ...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
[quoteThere are good examples of that on a2k; the likes of okie, ican, and a few others post their ideas straight out of their playbook. They no longer understand what's fact or fiction, and they spew away like parrots with no brains. ][/quote]

That's exactly right. Keep repeating the lie often enough until it's indistinguishable from the truth.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ive gotten very tired with ANUS' revisionist bullshit.
Yeah, you white meat fought your bloodiest war just foir the black man.....you so nice....I want to have your babies.... Crying or Very sad kiss kiss

Gomer the Turd must seek help.....
for alcoholism, an inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, xenophobia, racism, etc...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
IT WAS ALL ABOUT SLAVERY .
Woooooo....capitals....

IT WAS ALL ABOUT POWER AND MONEY

You just arent that nice a person to start a war to free blacks.....freed anyone else ? Tibetans ? Zimbabweans ? Saudi Arabians ? Any other wars to free anyone ? Is it the odd one out or have you screwed up the motives of real people and confused it with a tale about princesses and fairies and castles and they live happily ever after .

You are a dickhead of stupendous dimensions .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
It must be drinking time in Gomer the Turds neck of the woods . He likes to drink and mutter about what a great scientist/Historian/Geneticist/Physicist/Molecular Biologist/etc etc he is....

Quote:
Ive been one of those whose presented most pf the actual data about the issue
Laughing You googled the word slavery and present the word as evidence that the Civil War was fought over it.....never hear of cause and effect ? You big bad self proclaimed scientist you.....who's a naughty boy ? You are...yes you are...you big bad scientist you...yous a bad boy....

for alcoholism, an inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, xenophobia, racism, etc...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Actually there is no argument about any dates
Will you break the news to **** for brains or shall I ?

Quote:
The date December 20 1860 is when Charleston submitted its initil proclamation of seccession and within that proclamation the legislature defined that SLAVERY and the ASSERTION THAT NEGROES WERE PROPERTY (and that this interefered with "fair commerce") was the issue for seccession.
Your own words, gomer the turd...and you cant see money and power in that ? "I am not a crook" ...."I did not have sexual relations with that woman" ...."Peace in our time"....I bet you believe all many of stupid things said by politicians .....do you have trouble going after a stop sign ?

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:07 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If there had been NO slavery( had there been no cotton or sugarcane), there would have been no confederacy and therefore no Civil War.
So the Confederacy was about cash crops not slavery.....
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:26 pm
@Ionus,
Its interesting that, when you start getting your ass handed you, you become really violent and insulting. You hadnt used the "Gomer" title for several pages.
When do you think you may try to present some evidence on your argument? Should I wait or will you just keep shouting obsenities, racist slurs, and insults?
I find it very funny that you are calling names at me and others and its almost like you are heaping these epithets on yourself.

1The only "**** for brains" herein is you

2The only alcoholic (and druggie) is you

3Ditto racist

4Ditto slavery denier

WHy not go play some word games with spendi, I think Ive gotten the idea of how deep your knowledge of just about anything goes,(hint: not too deep, rather surficial actually. 0

i never worry about critcism from you. I know by the mere act of trying to insult me, you are displaying your own fruastration in your failed life.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:28 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Politics
n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Oh, you mean like getting everyone to think it is a war fought for niceness but it was actually about power and money not freeing the slaves ? Good point .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:32 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
I think the whole idea behind the wave of revisionist history coming from the radical right
I think the whole idea behind the wave of revisionist history coming from the radical left is tied to their belief in what lovely people they are....they do everything for truth, justice and the American way....lovely people, the left....
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:34 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
Quote:
There are good examples of that on a2k; the likes of okie, ican, and a few others post their ideas straight out of their playbook. They no longer understand what's fact or fiction, and they spew away like parrots with no brains.
That's exactly right. Keep repeating the lie often enough until it's indistinguishable from the truth.
I'm certain he will.....silly female impersonator needs no encouragement to lie .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its interesting that, when you start getting your ass handed you, you become really violent and insulting. You hadnt used the "Gomer" title for several pages. When do you think you may try to present some evidence on your argument?
Its interesting that, when you start getting your ass handed you, you become really violent and insulting. You hadnt used the "ANUS" title for several pages . When do you think you may try to present some argument on your evidence ?

Quote:
I find it very funny
Then have a good laugh and admit the Civil War was about power and money, slavery was not the main reason .

Quote:
I know by the mere act of trying to insult me, you are displaying your own fruastration in your failed life.
Would this have anything to do with your alcoholism and that big chip on your shoulder ?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:47 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
@LionTamerX,
Quote:

I think the whole idea behind the wave of revisionist history coming from the radical right

I think the whole idea behind the wave of revisionist history coming from the radical left is tied to their belief in what lovely people they are....they do everything for truth, justice and the American way....lovely people, the left....

I don't know what it's like in your part of the world, but here in the U.S., there is a movement afoot to rewrite our history and give it a right wing bent. If we even have a radical left, no one has heard from them since the 80's, so I doubt they are revising much of anything.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:49 pm
@LionTamerX,
I would like to see prove that it was about slavery and that emancipation was not simply a part of destroying the south economically and politically so they would never secede again .
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:26 pm
@LionTamerX,
I clipped this before but ANUS has been purposely ignoring direct evidence. This was presented by the SOuth Carolina Legislature on Dec 24, 1860, (Christmas Eve ,4 days after the actual act of seccession ) . By this document, the legislature felt it necessary to itemize the reasons that the state choose seccession.

Quote:

"South Carolina Declaration of Causes of Secession December 24,1860

The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 2d day of April, A.D. 1852, declared that frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States of America by the Federal Government, and it's encroachment upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in their withdrawal from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other Slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time these encroachments have continued to increase, and the forbearance ceases to be a virtue. And now the State of South Carolina having resumed her separate and equal place among nations, deems it due herself, to the remaining United States of America, and to the nations of the world, that she should declare the immediate causes that lead to this act. We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been destructive of them by the action of the nonslaveholding States. Those States have assumed the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of Slavery; they have permitted the open establishment among them of societies whose avowed object is to disturb the peace of eloin the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain have been incited by emissaries, books, and pictures to servile insurrection. For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Constitution, a sectional party has found within that article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of all the United States whose opinions and purposes are hostile to Slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free, and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction. This sectional combination for the subversion of the Constitution has been aided, in some of the States, by elevating to citizenship persons who, by the supreme law if the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its peace and safety. On the 4th of March next this party will take possession of the Government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory, that the Judicial Tribunal shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against Slavery until it shall cease throughout the United States. The guarantees of the Constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the States will be lost. The Slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy. Sectional interest and animosity will deepen the irritation; and all hope of remedy is rendered vain, by the fact that the public opinion of the North has invested a great political error with the sanctions of a more erroneous religious belief. We, therefore, the people of South Carolina, by our delegates in convention assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, have solemnly declared that the Union heretofore existing between this State and the other States of North America is dissolved, and that the State of South Carolina has resumed her position among the nations of the world, as a separate and independent state, with the full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent States may of right do. "

I will continue to powst clips from thia historical document from time to time, as often as the revisionists keep screaming that the Confederacy was about states rights and the war simply about money.
LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:42 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
I would like to see prove that it was about slavery and that emancipation was not simply a part of destroying the south economically and politically so they would never secede again .

Slavery was the backbone of the old South, and the principal reason for the founding of the Confederacy. This has been proven over and over again on this thread but you choose to ignore it.
I'm not sure what would constitute "proof" for you.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:50 pm
@LionTamerX,
Quote:
I'm not sure what would constitute "proof" for you.
Simple...

Prove :
Slavery was an end in itself and not the means to an end .
The majority of those involved in the North were fighting to free the slaves
The majority of those involved in the South were fighting to keep the slaves
Justify the major results of the war in terms of its causes
Power and money were secondary to freeing the slaves before, during and after the war
The Confederacy's purpose in seceding was to protect slavery and not the financial gain derived from slavery
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 07:51 pm
@LionTamerX,
He also missed the simple point that slavery was not actually abolished in the UNION until the ratification of the thirteenth amendment in 1865 , well after the Civil War had ended. So his argument about EMancipation and whatever other cokamamee crap he spouts, falls flat on its face.