The Confederacy was About Slavery

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:21 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
someone who loves to argue his position from a place of complete defiant ignorance
You have a strange definition of ignorance.....you cut and paste an historic document and think you have proven YOUR opinion....how stupid is that ? Have you ever heard of intelligence ? Analysis ? Why do you think that if you can quote something it MUST support you ???? Baffling.....
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:26 am
Quote:
it was the multitude of differences arising from the slavery issue that impelled the Southern states to secede.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/slavery.htm

And what was at the heart of slavery ? Money and power.....

desire for money > slavery > multitude of differences > war

Note : at no stage is slavery existing in a vacuum without power and money .

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:30 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Your constant mentioning of my nationality does that...
I believe that Your own nationalistic touchiness is an act, created for the express purpose of averting any real attention to your ridiculous posts. I have frequent discussions with many of your countrymen who are members on A2K. We discuss things with mutial respect and humor and curiosity. Ive only come across you as an "outlier".. NO, I dont believe Im an ANti-Australian xenophobe , its YOU I dont like.
Thanks for letting me clear that up.

electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:39 am
@Ionus,
I think the point of the lengthy quotes is to disprove something Farmerman calls "slavery denial". I didn't know any "slavery deniers" existed until he started mentioning them. I haven't seen any quotes from them either.

All governors of Virginia have had problems with their speeches on the Civil War but they need tourists for their battlefields and this one is no different from his predecessors D/R. It's getting funny
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/virginia-politics/2011/apr/07/2/tdmain01-mcdonnell-civil-war-proclamation-condemns-ar-955946/
Quote:
McDonnell considered it important to try again to strike the correct tone in an April proclamation that has often become politically toxic for Virginia governors.

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:26 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I believe that Your own nationalistic touchiness is an act
Touchyness ? I come from a Land Down Under where women glow and men thunder.....

Quote:
created for the express purpose of averting any real attention to your ridiculous posts.
But how do I get you to keep mentioning it ? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
its YOU I dont like
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:28 am
@electronicmail,
Yeah, what the hell is "slavery denial" anyway ? Why does he coin a term and expect everyone to know what he means by it ?
electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:49 am
@Ionus,
Not a clue. I've added it to my "huh?" list.
----> Wikipedia article is full of garbage. Only Setanta posts matter.
From that peerless source I also got
---> President Lincoln was never deserving of a federal holiday. The Rev. King of the plagiarized doctorate thesis, obsessive skirt-chasing, filing- cabinets-full of FBI files was and so he got one. Yay!
----> Gen. Robert E. Lee was a third-rate bumbler who never worked as an army engineer.

Only one guy posting here so far has pled schizophrenia. imho a couple more confessions wouldn't come amiss. Laughing Laughing Drunk

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:01 am
@electronicmail,
You're a bullshit artist--and your bullshit highly stinks--at no time did i state or even imply the Mr. Lincoln does not deserve a Federal holiday--i just noted that his birthday was not ever a Federal holiday, get over it. Nor did i state that Mr. King deserves a holiday--i just noted that he has one.

But what's basically going on with the holiday issue is that you spouted some of your typical bullshit, to the effect that the holidays for Washington and Lincoln were altered to provide one for Mr. King, whom you have been avidly slandering here. That was a lie on your part, and i've exposed it, so your only response was to spout more lies about what i've written. Lies seem to be all you have to offer.

I did not describe Lee as a third-rate bumbler, i'd reserve that title for someone like Braxton Bragg. Nor did i state or even imply that he never worked as an army engineer. I very specifically addressed the issue of his career as an engineer. Once again, the only weapons in your pathetic arsenal are lies about what other people post. However, since you can't do anything to change what i've posted, it's easy to show you for the liar you are.

I do agree that you should come clean and confess to your mental health problems, though--that's about the only honest idea you've offered here.
electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:54 am
@Setanta,
I remember very well that President Lincoln never had a federal holiday but George Washington used to have one and I find it sickening that DR. REV. (not MR) King has one. I know his "doctoral thesis" was cribbed but since it wasn't revoked he got to keep the DR. and REV. titles.

I didn't quote you verbatim on either Lee or King or Washington or Lincoln but that was the gist of your remarks.

I want to ask you why don't you write to Wikipedia to say they're so wrong about Lee? Why don't you publish in some scholarly journal your version of his career? How about the REV DR King? What part of the facts I posted about him can you prove wrong?

Calling me or anybody else here names isn't advancing your cause any.

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:01 am
@electronicmail,
I refer to all citizens of this republic by the common titles of respect, so to me, he is Mr. King. I don't give a rat's ass what you think about it. Those were not the gist of my remarks. Nothing i wrote suggested that i thought that either Mr. Lincoln or Mr. King should or should not have a national holiday. I didn't address that matter at all. So, you are a liar, and none of your backpeddling here will change that. As for Wikipedia, i have posted corrections to their articles again and again on the discussion pages, but nobody has ever done anything about them, so i no longer bother with that. As for proving your vicious remarks about Mr. King to be wrong, that's not germane to what i've posted. Because, you see, what i've posted is that you are lying. If you retail lies and someone calls you a liar, that's not name-calling, that's just descriptive truth.
electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

none of your backpeddling here will change that. As for Wikipedia, i have posted corrections to their articles again and again on the discussion pages, but nobody has ever done anything about them, so i no longer bother with that.

I don't know what backpeddling means I take it to mean backpedaling but peddling is right in a subliminal way because you know at some level that what you're posting is *#2)( Mr. Green (^%($%^$!

I don't wonder Wikipedia editors ignore it. How about the scholarly journals, tried those? Newspapers? Blogs? Why favor us only with your historical insights?

While I'm at it, can you explain what "slavery denial" means? That's two of us here who don't understand the term.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:17 am
@electronicmail,
Slavery denial is the same as Holocaust denial.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

I remember very well that President Lincoln never had a federal holiday but George Washington used to have one...

He still does.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:25 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

electronicmail wrote:

failures art wrote:

electronicmail wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Some people are just assholes. They spout ... crap on the Internet

Are you for real? Snood has posted he spent years as a homeless - drug addicted - alcoholic - schizophrenic - wandering - around - DC and now he blames his nausea at the time on the ......tomb of Gen. Robert E. Lee?

That's the sickest thing I've read on this thread so far but he's probably not accountable for the crap he posts. The second sickest is your approval of that crap. What's your excuse?

You know, snood pulled himself up and R.E. Lee fought to hold others down. I'm more than happy for the life snood enjoys now and the esteem he deserves to feel for where is life is. R.E. Lee this and that is peppered all over Virginia, and it is nauseating. It is not just snood who feels so.

A
R
T

Nausea is what I feel each time I think of Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays getting combined to make room for a federal holiday celebrating a nonentity whose only claim to fame was getting murdered.

This more than anything else speaks to your lack of historical perspective. If you only see a non-entity, then I think your judgement is pretty far off.
A
R
T

I stand by my statement concerning the Rev. Dr. King. If he hadn't gone off and got murdered who in Congress would vote to make his birthday a federal holiday? Al Sharpton excepted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:26 am
@electronicmail,
No, the term backpeddling means that you're peddling a different line of bullshit because the other ones aren't working. You really don't want to get into a battle of spelling and grammar, because that you will lose.

As for what Wikipedia editors do or do not pay attention to, that's a matter of indifference to me. If i read something at Wikipedia which is wrong, i just accept that and move on.

As for publishing my observations about Lee, there are two good reasons not to bother. One is that they are neither unique to me, nor new. The other is that, as they are not a part of the accepted Lee hagiography, i rather doubt that any publisher would be up for publishing something that likely would not be popular enough of a view to make a profit. But i assure you that i'm not the first commentator to have taken note of his non-existant staff work and his profligate waste of his mens' lives.

As i have not ever used the term "slavery denial," i see no reason why i should be obliged to explain it to you. I have much more engrossing pursuits than spending my whole day explaining to you the simple things which escape your understanding.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Any connection to climate change denial?
failures art

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:34 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Any connection to climate change denial?

Often so, since you asking.

A
R
T
electronicmail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:53 am
@failures art,
I can't believe what I'm reading here! I don't know if anybody in the Confederacy had any opinions on icebergs melting but I know for a fact nobody had anything against any Jews. Look up Judas P. Benjamin
Quote:
A founder of the Illinois Central Railroad, a state legislator,
a planter who owned 140 slaves until he sold his plantation in 1850,
Judah Benjamin was elected to the United States Senate from Louisiana in
1852......in 1861, Confederate President Jefferson Davis appointed Benjamin as Attorney-General....Benjamin later served as the Confederacy's Secretary of War, and then Secretary of State.

Forget explaining "slavery denial". It's no more likely that the holocaust and iceberg fairy tales you can't provide any sources for.

I'm sorry I wasted so much time on this thread.

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:56 am
Judah, his name was Judah . . . not Judas. He wasn't terribly popular, however, it is true that there were Jews in government in the Confederacy, and were represented in Lee's army. So what?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Well, obviously, if they weren't enslaving Jews, then they couldn't have been racist. Duh!