Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:29 pm
@djjd62,
My favorite ican cut and paste dealt with someone who supposedly is a professor at Smith College named Robert S. Lichter. The man is not a professor at Smith and his name is S. Robert Lichter. I think that ican either copied the whole thing incorrectly or else he got it from ann coulter, who got things wrong. He wouldn't admit to being wrong but he and his fellow travelers attacked me for being wrong. lol
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:32 pm
@electronicmail,
That is a misinterpretation of what the Confederacy was about. But, keep up that incorrect stance. Either your group will be shown to be ignorant and will fade away or you will be successful through a sort of 1984 maneuver.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Although I had a hiatus of nearly two years, I was on this forum from its inception and on abuzz before that. I remember you as always rude and always a trouble maker.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
However, there have been some articles exposing racism in the tea party ranks.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:43 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Although I had a hiatus of nearly two years, I was on this forum from its inception and on abuzz before that. I remember you as always rude and always a trouble maker.

Why am I not surprised by your recollection?

How do you remember yourself?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:43 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

However, there have been some articles exposing racism in the tea party ranks.

Share them please.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I already did and I am not going to go through more than 6,000 posts. One was in the NY Review of Books. But, sugar, if you're so smart, find them yourself.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:59 pm
@plainoldme,
Typical...sugar
plainoldme

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am not your servant, bully.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:09 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

" Here's another thought: Why would a true blue racist want a subtle or ambiguous symbol?"

Cowardice? Hell, even on this largely unanimous forum we have plenty of yippity little ankle-biters whose volume increases dramatically when they sense consensus with bigger dogs

I'm a Tea Party activist and I've noticed this syndrome many times in our rallies. We want a rollback of federal government interference in our lives so many members bring confederate flags to our rallies, since the confederacy stood for the same principle.
Laughing The confederacy stood for no such thing and for as long as your group parades their ignorance of this simple truth, while waiving the battle flag of racist oppressors, they will continue to struggle for relevance.
electronicmail wrote:
A few times we got some crazies with nazi insignia who tried to attend, they got thrown out bodily.
So where exactly is the line drawn? White hoods made from bed sheets? Tattoos of the Celtic Cross or Oden's Rune? How about a flag depicting the White Power Fist; would that be okay?

Finn offered an excellent suggestion that you educate them away from known racist symbols and into the Gadsden Flag. Hell, any early American Flag would serve your purpose better.
morell

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
I am somewhat familiar with the Tea Party Movement and have read a great deal of the literature from various places, but, inasmuch as I have been adamantly opposed to racism, I would abjure the group if I could find that racism was indeed part of the platform of any Tea Party group. If anyone has any evidence of this, would they please post it?

I define racism as the belief that one race is inherently superior to another. I would not be suprised if there were some Tea Party Members who fell under the definition, however, all kinds of beliefs can be found in individuals who belong to various groups. I am reliably informed that some groups of Democrats in the forties and fifties were card carrying Communists. That, of course, does not affect the platform laid out by the Democratic Party.

electronicmail

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 05:33 am
@morell,
Anybody believes that re-instituting slavery is a good idea belongs with the hollow-earth and alien-abduction crew. I've seen some such threads on this forum, not even they thought to include the Tea Party among their adherents. Two or three times on this page alone the factually challenged have been asked to substantiate their "racism" allegations, no answer so far.

There are many Gadsden flags in Tea Party rallies but mostly carried by members of a friendly but separate organization called Oath Keepers. They're mostly military, here's what one of them (Sheriff Mack) has to say on his website about states' rights:
Quote:
In 1994 I filed a lawsuit challenging the Brady bill to stop the federal government from forcing another unfunded mandate down our throats. I won a decision at the US Supreme Court on the issue of States' rights.

That's 1994 not 1794. Got the date? http://sheriffmack.com/

Well I agree with him. Victims of alien abductions can rant about the confederate flag not being a symbol of states' rights all they like, speech is free last I heard so nobody's stopping them.

That's also from his website, I'd say most Tea Party members agree with that one too:
Quote:
The founders of our nation were afraid of one thing more than any other... government having too much power! Remember, they escaped from the tyranny of an oppressive and controlling government when they established this nation. They fought and died for it, and now we are letting these same freedoms they fought for slip away little by little, without a second thought.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:11 am
@electronicmail,
Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

" Here's another thought: Why would a true blue racist want a subtle or ambiguous symbol?"

Cowardice? Hell, even on this largely unanimous forum we have plenty of yippity little ankle-biters whose volume increases dramatically when they sense consensus with bigger dogs

electronicmail wrote:
I'm a Tea Party activist and I've noticed this syndrome many times in our rallies. We want a rollback of federal government interference in our lives so many members bring confederate flags to our rallies, since the confederacy stood for the same principle.
SO STIPULATED.

electronicmail wrote:
A few times we got some crazies with nazi insignia who tried to attend, they got thrown out bodily.
Simply put, the Confederate Flag was one rebellion against authority and of defense of its realty. It supported Individualism,
whereas the nazis were fanatically anti-Individualist and anti-liberty. As their Leader put it: "authority from the top down,
obedience from the bottom up."

Domestic government jurisdiction and Personal Liberty are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
electronicmail

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:51 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
So where exactly is the line drawn? White hoods made from bed sheets?

Do you mean like this one?
http://riverdaughter.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/burqa.jpg

I checked, and we've never had anyone show up at a rally dressed in a sheet of whatever color. But I definitely doubt he or she would be any more welcome than the guys with the nazi insignia.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Obviousness should be obvious. I'm flummoxed at posters who can't see the obvious, except maybe for the alien-abduction types. The link to the 1994 Supreme Court decision is on Sheriff Mack's site, here's the concluding paragraph, with Justice Scalia writing for the majority:
Quote:
We held in New York that Congress cannot compel the States to enact or enforce a federal regulatory program. Today we hold that Congress cannot circumvent that prohibition by conscripting the State's officers directly. The Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States' officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program. It matters not whether policymaking is involved, and no case by case weighing of the burdens or benefits is necessary; such commands are fundamentally incompatible with our constitutional system of dual sovereignty. Accordingly, the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

Let's take our country back!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
Obviousness should be obvious. I'm flummoxed at posters who can't see the obvious, except maybe for the alien-abduction types. The link to the 1994 Supreme Court decision is on Sheriff Mack's site, here's the concluding paragraph, with Justice Scalia writing for the majority:
Quote:
We held in New York that Congress cannot compel the States to enact or enforce a federal regulatory program. Today we hold that Congress cannot circumvent that prohibition by conscripting the State's officers directly. The Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States' officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program. It matters not whether policymaking is involved, and no case by case weighing of the burdens or benefits is necessary; such commands are fundamentally incompatible with our constitutional system of dual sovereignty. Accordingly, the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.

Let's take our country back!
YES; the next step comes 2 weeks from tomorrow.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
A nice way to tell someone how out of line they are. Another old line from the abuzz days was the line: Can I have a link? Most righties never would accept the idea of doing research.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:16 am
@electronicmail,
Of course, you fail to see that you would impose your will upon others. No one in the Tea Totalitarians seems to have a working knowledge of government and of how societies work. Rather untethered from reality.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:20 am
The biggest question to ask any states' rights supporter is why would they contradict themselves by saying, "Let's take our country back!"
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:12 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
...any early American Flag would serve your purpose better.

Why's that? Many of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence kept slaves. Attendees to all constitutional conventions did too. You want to cancel 4th of July? Dump the constitution? Carry your reasoning to a conclusion before trashing the confederate flag.

Hell, even Al Sharpton makes more sense than you do.
0 Replies