Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:09 pm
@dyslexia,
So are political party affiliations and Crusty Old Prospector Look-alike Clubs.

There's a lot to be said for tribalism
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 05:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As I suspected, very little ground indeed. If willing blindness and willful ignorance are interchangeable; there is no real beef between us regarding people's motives. Hell, I've know basically decent people who were in fact racist, but wrote it off to simple ignorance, rather than hatred.

As for distinguishing willful racism; take that up with Shorteyes, as I made no such comparison and chose to ignore his phony poutrage (wasn't my turn to feed the troll.)

Now that being said; read the title question again and answer it honestly. It matters little how many people are ignorant of the fact that flag was created in defense of slavery (willfully ignorant, or just plain stupid makes no difference.)

Certainly good men fought on both sides of the ball. Surely you don't think every soldier who fought for Nazi Germany was evil either, do you? But regardless of the who and the why; at the end of the day the confederacy came to be in defense of slavery. That pinnacle issue caused the bloodiest war in this nation's history in defense of one of the most heinous institutions mankind has ever seen.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If it is any help to you, I frankly don't believe your story.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:08 pm
I thought about this thread today at length. Just as I can not divorce the American right from its history of slave owning and its combativeness toward the Civil Rights movement, I can not divorce the stars and bars in my mind from its role in the Civil War. Perhaps, had there not been Jim Crow laws and limits put on Blacks wishing to vote and literacy tests, I might be able to view the rebel flag as a nostalgic piece but I can not. That there is more than a touch of racism in the Tea Party movement puts the nail in the coffin of the stars and bars as a neutral flag.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:11 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
If it is any help to you, I frankly don't believe your story.
WHICH story do u not believe?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:13 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I thought about this thread today at length. Just as I can not divorce the American right from its history of slave owning and its combativeness toward the Civil Rights movement, I can not divorce the stars and bars in my mind from its role in the Civil War. Perhaps, had there not been Jim Crow laws and limits put on Blacks wishing to vote and literacy tests, I might be able to view the rebel flag as a nostalgic piece but I can not. That there is more than a touch of racism in the Tea Party movement puts the nail in the coffin of the stars and bars as a neutral flag.
Plain, woud u recognize the Stars and Bars Flag, if u saw it? Do u know what it looks like?

David
engineer

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Stars and Bars

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8jMqPgk5BBbUIM:http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/stars_and_bars_800x600.gif
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 05:44 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Stars and Bars

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8jMqPgk5BBbUIM:http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/stars_and_bars_800x600.gif
Yes; u know and I know; does Plain know?

I doubt that.
Maybe she will not "believe" it.

David
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:19 am
@plainoldme,
I think I know understand why you and I disagree so much.

You are admittedly incapable of accepting that the world has changed.

I look at the right today, as they ARE today, not how they were decades and decades ago. When I see a policy or politican from the right, I don't look at it or them in the context of slavery or the history of their party (at least not more than a few years back, certainly not 50-100 years back).

I think your view on todays world is tainted by irrelevant (now) beliefs that have no bearing on today's reality.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:54 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
There are currently at least a dozen states with active succession movements..

God, you crack me up . . . it's hard enough to take your bullshit seriously without these Yogi Berra moments . . .

At what, precisely, do these twelve states hope to succeed?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Hey, bright boy, leaving the Union is something quite different from armed mobs attempting to seize Federal property (Pensacola, Florida, January, 1861), or a state organizing military forces as a part of a confederation (both actions prohibited by the constitution which they ratified) and using them to blockade a Federal fortress, while summoning said fortress to surrender (Charleston, South Carolina, February, 1861).

Once again, the bullshit you're posting is just another feeble apologia for the racist institution which was the Confederate States of America.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 08:07 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
all flags are primitive tribalism.

I'll go along with that.

I see absolutely no redeeming characteristic in tribalism.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:43 am
@engineer,
So since it came up, I think if someone flew the stars and bars outside their house, no one would associate that with racism even though it equally represents the Confederacy. The difference is that it hasn't been co-opted by hate groups. What do you all think?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I will answer that in a PM.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
How insulting. Would I recognize it indeed.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:24 am
@maporsche,
I recommend that you read Slavery by Another Name.

As much of the writing on the Tea Party has demonstrated, racism is alive and well.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:50 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

As I suspected, very little ground indeed. If willing blindness and willful ignorance are interchangeable; there is no real beef between us regarding people's motives. Hell, I've know basically decent people who were in fact racist, but wrote it off to simple ignorance, rather than hatred.

As for distinguishing willful racism; take that up with Shorteyes, as I made no such comparison and chose to ignore his phony poutrage (wasn't my turn to feed the troll.)

Now that being said; read the title question again and answer it honestly. It matters little how many people are ignorant of the fact that flag was created in defense of slavery (willfully ignorant, or just plain stupid makes no difference.)

Certainly good men fought on both sides of the ball. Surely you don't think every soldier who fought for Nazi Germany was evil either, do you? But regardless of the who and the why; at the end of the day the confederacy came to be in defense of slavery. That pinnacle issue caused the bloodiest war in this nation's history in defense of one of the most heinous institutions mankind has ever seen.

Where did you come up with this distorted version of what he said? What he did say was that he doesn't believe the children of illegal immigrants should be granted citizenship.

Yes, to implement this notion would require an amendment to the Constitution, but I'm sure you realize amending the Constitution is perfectly legal and has been done 27 times already.

Apparently I have not made my opinion clear; although Lord knows I've tried.

To answer, once again, the posed question: Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

It can be.

It can also be a symbol of pride or rebellion without representing racism.

Irrespective of their origins, the symbolism of an object depends upon the intent or view of those who use it.

I'm sure you know that the Swastika predates Nazi Germany by thousands of years and has been used as a symbol by numerous major religions and a wide array of cultures.

For most people in the West today, it is a symbol of Nazi Germany and all that entails. As I’ve commented previously this symbolism remains strongly connected to the figure, but at the fringe there has already developed usage which represents something other than the evils of the Nazis. It's sometimes hard for people of one generation to appreciate how differently those of a newer generation can view the same things. My children weren't alive during the Vietnam War let alone WWII, and I doubt they even know anyone who fought in that war. It won't be long at all before every WWII vet has passed and not that much longer before everyone who was alive during the period will too. I'm sure my grandchildren will learn about Nazi Germany in school and see representations of it in the media, but I doubt that the swastika will engender the same visceral response that it does in people of my generation or of my parents'.

There are quite a few other well known symbols that have adopted new meaning over time.

The Confederate Flag is also a symbol in transition.

If people use it to symbolize regional pride then it is a symbol of regional pride.

If they use it to symbolize racism, then it is a symbol of racism.

The difficulty with using this symbol today, and why I would caution against it, is that there are a whole lot of people who see it, with good reason, as a symbol of racism and assume that anyone using it does too.

It's entirely feasible though that in 50 years, the connection with institutional racism will have passed from popular consideration. It's unlikely that either of us will be here that far in the future, but if you are lucky enough to be, will you still insist that it is a symbol of racism?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It's entirely feasible though that in 50 years, the connection with institutional racism will have passed from popular consideration. It's unlikely that either of us will be here that far in the future, but if you are lucky enough to be, will you still insist that it is a symbol of racism?
Unless my mind goes first; of course. I doubt I'll forget that the Confederacy itself came to be in defense of heinous racism or that their battle flag was created to symbolize that struggle. The Nazi comparison doesn't work because its basic design was used by many people for many things. Not true of the battle flag; it had ZERO history before being invented as a symbol for the defense of heinous racism. That some ignorant fools (willful or otherwise) will pretend this isn't so (or are just too damned dumb to have learned the truth) doesn't give the symbol itself a new identity, rather, it merely lends a possible innocent enough excuse for the ignorant to fly it. He who knows the historical truth has no such excuse, now or ever.

In 50 years time; I would expect mankind to be even more appalled at the defense of something as heinous as 400 years of slavery, resulting in 10's of millions of innocent lives destroyed. Have you seen any signs of Hitler becoming more popular as the years go by? I think not. The institution of slavery is no more defensible, nor worthy of honorable recognition.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 04:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Unless my mind goes first; of course. I doubt I'll forget that the Confederacy itself came to be in defense of heinous racism or that their battle flag was created to symbolize that struggle. The Nazi comparison doesn't work because its basic design was used by many people for many things. Not true of the battle flag; it had ZERO history before being invented as a symbol for the defense of heinous racism. That some ignorant fools (willful or otherwise) will pretend this isn't so (or are just too damned dumb to have learned the truth) doesn't give the symbol itself a new identity, rather, it merely lends a possible innocent enough excuse for the ignorant to fly it. He who knows the historical truth has no such excuse, now or ever.

In 50 years time; I would expect mankind to be even more appalled at the defense of something as heinous as 400 years of slavery, resulting in 10's of millions of innocent lives destroyed. Have you seen any signs of Hitler becoming more popular as the years go by? I think not. The institution of slavery is no more defensible, nor worthy of honorable recognition.

Hitler need not become popular for the swastika to take on new symbolism, and slavery need not become popular for the confederate flag to either.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
So since it came up, I think if someone flew the stars and bars outside their house,
no one would associate that with racism even though it equally represents the Confederacy.
The difference is that it hasn't been co-opted by hate groups. What do you all think?
Its unlikely that even 3% of your nabors woud recognise it.

David
0 Replies