Is the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism?

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:54 am
@maxdancona,
Do you think the flag killed them or the handgun ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:55 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Yes I do.
So the flag at the state capital is used to justify the murder of whom ?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:02 am
@Ionus,
It is a symbol of racial hatred. That is why African Americans are trying to get it taken down, and the KKK is trying to keep it up.

http://images.politico.com/global/2015/06/29/150629_kkk_confederate_flag_ap_1160_956x519.jpg

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/kkk-chapter-north-carolina-rally-south-carolina-statehouse-confederate-flag-119548.html

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:16 am
@maxdancona,
I disagree . I think it is a symbol of rebellion that has been stolen bu racists and making a fuss over it is playing into the hands of racists . Display it everywhere in a manner that will downplay its wrong usage . Beat them at their own game .
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:20 am
@Ionus,
If the racists use something then we all have to stop using it? Why do we give them so much power?
Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:24 am
@hawkeye10,
Its surprising that in a picture of a hooded KKK arsehole and all the evil that stands for that people can still see a flag . I know which is the symbol of evil in that photo and it aint the flag . I suspect that a lot of this flag rubbish is led by the north .
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:37 am
@Ionus,
I dont live in the South but from what I see on TV the flag seems to be used most by the have nots and by youth at parties. We should ask Reese Witherspoon why she would wreck her career being in a movie playing a modern southerner were all kinds of Confederate flags as shown, where they talk about being rebels. PURE RACISM! or so we get told. Sweet Home Alabama was 2002. This line "we all know the flag is a first and foremost a symbol of oppression and racism" is clearly bullshit. It is an excuse to do what they want to do anyways, poke the Southerners in the eye for their crime of supporting Republicans. Intolerance runs rampant here in America. Ditto for dishonesty.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 03:38 pm
KKK plans Confederate flag rally outside South Carolina statehouse
revelette2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Sorry didn't see your post. I think it is just sick they are planning a kkk rally in that particular place after the shootings.
roger

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:26 pm
@revelette2,
See? Sometimes we do agree.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:29 pm
5 or 6 churches have been burned by arsonists, since the shooting. But I haven't seen a story on it, except on social media.
revelette2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:38 pm
@roger,
Actually more often than I would have thought.

Surely reasonable people, both republican and democrats, can see the total tackiness of the upcoming parade at this point in time. I understand they have the right but it just shows what kind of people we're dealing with here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:43 pm
@revelette2,
The kkk thing is otherworldly to me, but I'm not from there. Not that I'm from some nirvana place, but kkk gathering there is hard to fathom for me.

Words come to mind - ugly, for example, but that's too weak a word.

I suppose it is a new generation of the white sheet people.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 06:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I suppose it is a new generation of the white sheet people.

Doubtful, but people can go to all of the KKK meetings they want, say anything hateful about blacks they want, so long as they dont break any laws harming blacks.

But considering that I think I am right that whites have 5.7 times more chance of having a crime against them committed by a black than the black chance from white I think I am pretty safe in saying that the KKK cant be much of a factor in doing any of rotten things the historical Klan did. This idea that their might be Klan somewhere hurting blacks does not make my list of things that I should care about, because of lack of any evidence that anything bad is happening.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

5 or 6 churches have been burned by arsonists, since the shooting. But I haven't seen a story on it, except on social media.

Do we know if they were burned by the churches for the insurance money? And know that all across the country there are a lot of churches that no longer have enough people to use the buildings, and most of them cant easily be anything but a church, so burning them for a check makes a lot of sense. I dont know what happened, but I do no that I am not going to assume that this is white on black violence. Can you burn your church building and get enough sympathy donations to build a better one? IDK, but give me facts, not theories backed with zero evidence
engineer

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

IDK, but give me facts, not theories backed with zero evidence

Ok,
Fact: Several recent church burnings.

Theories backed with zero evidence:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Do we know if they were burned by the churches for the insurance money? And know that all across the country there are a lot of churches that no longer have enough people to use the buildings, and most of them cant easily be anything but a church, so burning them for a check makes a lot of sense. I dont know what happened, but I do no that I am not going to assume that this is white on black violence. Can you burn your church building and get enough sympathy donations to build a better one?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:36 pm
@engineer,
I read it, not only are there no facts on who did it or why, but most of them they dont even seem to have proven as arson yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:48 pm
Some of the churches are suspected as arson, but not all.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
In a country with more than 350,000 churches, motives are as varied as the denominations they target, experts say. According to the Insurance Information Institute, the top reasons for torching a church include the coverup of a burglary, vandalism, and revenge. Racism, insurance fraud, and thrill-seeking are less common.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0208/p02s01-ussc.html

Cool your jets Edgar, you have no right to assume white hate.

Quote:
In fact, church burnings are common. The nation sees 15 to 20 church arsons a month, scattered from Florida to California. [Editor's note: The original version misstated the frequency of church burnings in the US.]

Nearly 1,000 churches burned between 1996 and 2000 nationwide, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Authorities nabbed about 100 suspects, a pace that has only decreased slightly

Churchs burn all of the time
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 08:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh well, that makes it all ok then.