What are the rewards of being in a long-term relationship?

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:12 pm
I would like to know from the people who have been in long-term relationships. What is it that you get out of such a relationship that can't be had by being alone? And how much of a positive effect have these rewards had on your life?

For the life of me, I can't figure out what could possibly be more rewarding than being alone and able to do whatever you want without having to compromise on so many things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 28 • Views: 24,286 • Replies: 86

Ionus

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:17 pm
@kickycan,
I had a long term relationship with two wives (one at a time) - they screwed me over right royally.

I had a long term relationship with the army - it screwed me over right royally.

I had a long term relationship with friends - they screwed me over right royally.

Stay away from people...they are nothing but trouble.

chai2

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:19 pm
Sometimes being able to say "I can't stand it. Take care of this for me" means an awful lot.

I'm talking about the times when you just have to lean on someone, when it's just too much.

Then again, that means sometimes you have to be the strong one.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:27 pm
@Ionus,
Wow, that's exactly what I've always been afraid would happen. But you know, even the shitty things that happen to you, at least you get some good stories out of them. Maybe that's the reward. You get good stories that other women will laugh at and that might just be the thing that gets you a better class of short-term girlfriends.

Maybe?
Ionus

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:29 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
You get good stories that other women will laugh at and that might just be the thing that gets you a better class of short-term girlfriends. Maybe?
As a man I am quite happy to have girlfirends but my young boys would take my having multiple partners as a bad example. So I am alone and it is tolerable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:32 pm
@kickycan,
definately, stories are good.

having given a reward that's to be gotten, I will say that if I were single in the future, there's no way I'd want to marry again.

any future relationships would be at my convenience.

I wouldn't take advantage of anyone, that's just not my way, but I'm sure not gonna give anyone the opportunity to say "I think you should....."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:37 pm
Yes!
you finally broke up with her huh.

Come to mama
Amigo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:38 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I would like to know from the people who have been in long-term relationships. What is it that you get out of such a relationship that can't be had by being alone? And how much of a positive effect have these rewards had on your life?

For the life of me, I can't figure out what could possibly be more rewarding than being alone and able to do whatever you want without having to compromise on so many things.
You said brother, Many articles have been written on this latley.

Heres my two cents, It's about sex;

You love icecream. Sometimes you have this icecream sometimes you have that icecream...you can pick whatever icecream you want, you love icecream.

One day you pick one iceream to eat for the rest of your life, the same old icecream everyday for the rest of your life. Pretty soon the icecream doesn't have any flavor anymore but all you can do is eat the same old icecream while you watch everybody else running around eating all the different kinds of icecreams.
chai2

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:41 pm
@Amigo,
Ice cream makes me fart.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:42 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Yes!

Come to mama

That is exactly what I was thinking. (Kickycan must have just ended a relationship.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ice cream makes me fart.
It gave me the clap
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Ice cream makes me fart.
It gave me the clap

His name is Ice Cream.

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/ugly-man-transvestite-fat-bitch-men-women.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:50 pm
There are plenty of rewards, when a relationship works, but hey, don't ask me. I'm slightly kidding in that in my marriage I had many rewarding happy endearing years. Now, at my age and level of experience, my view is glum.

Seize the day.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:52 pm
Well to start, it's better to be alone than in an unhappy relationship.

I agree with Chai on the team concept. It's nice to know someone has your back in this often cold, cruel world. My husband and I work together as a unit to make life less stressful and more enjoyable for both of us. We have different strengths and weaknesses to play off of. Even if it's just day to day stuff like he can fix a combustion engine while I cook dinner- it makes life easier. It's the little comforts like sleeping tucked into each when it's cold or making hot soup for the one of us who is sick. It's also the bigger stuff like I'm better at investing our money, but he's better at doing our taxes. We like to do things together as friends such as travel, eat out, or just go for a walk. I'm not saying every moment is all balloons and birthday cake, but we really like each other's company and feel we are better off together than we would be apart.
Amigo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
AAAHHHHHHHH...GOD PLEASE BLIND ME!!!

I was with a chick that looked just like that once, no lie. We went to a night club and she was all over me. I got some very strange looks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Yes!

Come to mama

She broke up with me, actually. But I pretty much drove her to it. The thing is, ever since, I've been feeling really down and missing her a lot and thinking maybe I was wrong to let her go. I still think I might be able to get her back, but I'd have to really give all of myself to this whole new life with her, and do that thing that I hate most of all...change. Eww, just the thought of it makes my scrotum crawl a little. It would be a huge change in the way I live. So I ask you, people in relationships, is it worth it, and why?

What is it that makes people do such a seemingly crazy thing as get into a serious relationship?
Amigo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:07 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

shewolfnm wrote:

Yes!

Come to mama

She broke up with me, actually. But I pretty much drove her to it. The thing is, ever since, I've been really feeling really down and missing her a lot and thinking maybe I was wrong to let her go. I still think I might be able to get her back, but I'd have to really give all of myself to this whole new life with her, and do that thing that I hate most of all...change. Eww, just the thought of it makes my scrotum crawl a little. It would be a huge change in the way I live. So I ask you, people in relationships, is it worth it, and why?

What is it that makes people do such a seemingly crazy thing as get into a serious relationship?

"just the thought of it makes my scrotum crawl a little"

You got crabs bro.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:09 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
It would be a huge change in the way I live.

A good relationship should not require a huge change, just some compromise. It would also require the desire on both parties parts to be faithful, other than that you are still an individual and should be allowed to be who you are.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:10 pm
@kickycan,
since there is a hesitation, I would honestly say dont do it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:12 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

A good relationship should not require a huge change, just some compromise. It would also require the desire on both parties parts to be faithful, other than that you are still an individual and should be allowed to be who you are.

That is SO worth repeating I quoted it just because.

Again, I say.. if there is that kind of hesitation dont do it.