Oddities and Humor

dadpad

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I saw a really interesting segment on bats in Austin Tx ( I think it was Austin).
The city lights attract lots of insects and the bats eat like 6 tons of insects every night.
The whole show was about how animals are adapting to the urban environment.
It touched on Moose and polar bear in certain towns and cities in Canada. Falcons and rats in New York.
Another interesting part was the use of a falconer to keep pigeons away from high rise buildings in Dubai.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@dadpad,
Good job bats! Keep up the good work! Very Happy
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't like bats, but they are extremely important out there.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Initially the residents were all up in arms about rabies but saw the light.

(the bat light?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:03 pm
I saw an episode of My Name is Earl TV show that I had previously missed. This pervert had been filming in a bar's restroom for years. One day the floor was re-concreted and the perv needed to change the tape in the camera that same day. He carefully made his way, inching on the form board in the center of the floor, doing fine, until the power failed. In the darkness, he lost his balance and landed on his back in the concrete. He must have lost consciousness, for he sank without struggling. He went down, until just his nose protruded above floor level. And he stayed like that for probably months. When it was figured out what happened and they stood about the nose, discussing it, the wild blond character said she had been cleaning the gunk off her shoes on that thing. Then, Earl got down and looked into the nostrils. As an act of kindness, he dug the man's last booger out of there. I laughed for at least ten minutes through that segment.
dadpad

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thats only funny if you live in texas I suspect.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Texans are despised and shunned by many from the other states. I can't tell you how many times people have insulted me for being from here.

That's okay, we love you even though you are from Texas. Wink Laughing

{{{{{Edgar}}}}}
roger

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 01:51 am
@Reyn,
Depends. Which part of Texas he from?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:49 am
My father in law always called me a Yankee. I said, "Why? Because I am from north Texas?" Nothing stopped him from calling me that. But, I think he was referring to my less than conservative principles. I got in an argument with my boss, shortly after the invasion of Iraq began. I tried explaining to her that we already had control over there and there was no need for that war. She said that she and her husband are Texans, by way of rebuttal. I said, "I'm a Texan." She replied, "But you spent too much time in California." I reminded her that her husband was born and raised in Minnesota. She says, "I would sacrifice my son over there." I ended the conversation by suggesting, "They take women too, you know."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 07:46 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

I saw a really interesting segment on bats in Austin Tx ( I think it was Austin).

We love our bats.

They live under a bridge downtown and raise their babies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:43 pm
Had an interesting work order to do today. The instructions on the W/O read: "Resident cannot reach the shower head." She lead me into the bathroom and showed me that when the shower head is located that high up, the water hits her on the head. "I lived here 25 years ago, in the apartment across the way, and the shower head there was a foot lower than that," she insisted. I explained that in my near nineteen years on the job I had never encountered one so low. Anyway, I picked up the hand held shower that had been installed the day earlier by her daughter. I didn't understand why she could not take a nice shower holding that. But, she did not want to sit in the seat her daughter provided. She wanted to stand up, as she had always done before. But she was obliged to hold on to the grab bar with one hand and hold the shower with the other. It just did not work. I suggested we fix the hand held shower in place on the tile. She insisted we should fix it right. Her solution would have me breaking out the tile and installing new, shorter, plumbing inside the wall. Finally, I told her I would have to discuss the situation with the boss. Don't know how we will resolve this.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Tell her she can have whatever she wants, but it'll cost $10k to do it her way. Then you'll find out how bad she really wants it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 06:52 pm
@rosborne979,
She's an old lady on oxygen. Her daughter watches her closely. Smile
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Buy her a dog Ed. Laughing Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXjoZBsNZnk

I don't want to laugh, i just cant help it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:18 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I went back to the office with the work order. They tore it up. I suspect we have not heard the end of it -
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
I get a lot of that as well, some people just wont see sense.
I try and accommodate them as much as possible but some
requests just fly in the face of reason. I recently had a woman
who had already bought her bathroom suite, trouble is she hadn't
measured anything. Anyhow her bathtub was 6ft 6in's long but where
it was to be fitted was just under 6ft long. She just couldn't get it, she
wanted us to kango 3in's off each wall, poured concrete walls. The walls
would have sat over the bath. I tried & tried to explain, but in the end I
just had to walk away.
Some jobs just ain't worth it. They end up costing you money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:46 am
I will go to the ends of the earth for a person where possible. Sometimes it just isn't possible.
Letty

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Not to get off the subject, but I just remembered when our shower wasn't working, Bud reminded me of washing in the sink:

wash up as far as possible and down as far as possible, then was possible. Razz
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:12 am
@Letty,
I believe that was known as "tops and tails" Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Hmmm.. I installed my hand held shower head in place of the fixed one by means of an attachment that came with the hand held in the same package. I figure that could be added to with a spacer, or more than one, so that the hand held connection to the mix of pipes would be lower... I forget what I used to call those pvc parts, but they do exist.