This year is the 50th anniversary of the first song ever sung by a computer:
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's pretty neat.
Letty

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Simon Ledger, 34, told Britain's The Sun newspaper that he and his band were performing the 1970s classic at the Driftwood Beach Bar on the Isle of Wight off the southern coast of England.

Everybody likes Kung Fu Fighting, (the song), that is, everyone except for an Asian man in a concert who got offended and flicked off Simon Ledger and his band at the Driftwood Beach Bar on the Island of Wight off the coast of England. Apparently the man of Chinese descent was so mad that he made a complaint to the police on racism charges for hearing the song “Kung Fu Fighting.”

According to Ledger, “We were performing Kung Fu Fighting, as we do during all our sets. People of all races loved it. Chinese people have never been offended by it before.” The singer reports that they had never even seen the Asian person before starting the concert, yet the heartbroken fan claimed he was “subject to racial abuse.”

Ledger says that he then got a phone call from police that they wanted to meet with him (he got this call while eating at a Chinese restaurant—ironically), and he was promptly arrested by police. He was then released after his arrested, to be questioned at a further date. According to a Hampshire Constabulary spokesman, “An investigation into this allegation is continuing to establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:47 am
@Letty,
You get arrested for racism in England?

What about for flipping someone the finger? Isn't that considered some kind of abuse?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 01:07 pm
Che sara, sara:

Trevi Fountain coin nabber strikes again (and again and again), but...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/29/trevi-fountain-coins-police-chief

To me, this is both odd and humorous..
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:08 am
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:34 am
@DrewDad,
It has been many years since that song was released. Odd they wait so long to protest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:35 am
@ossobuco,
There was more than three coins in that fountain, osso.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I appreciate such videos, but I rarely truly "get it."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
I haven't looked at that article since I posted, but something like 3000 euros a day..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:07 am
ELKO, Nev. — A rescued Canadian woman who survived for seven weeks on water and trail mix after getting stranded in a remote part of Nevada was recovering Saturday as a search for her still-missing husband moved forward.

Hunters on Friday spotted the van of Albert and Rita Chretien on a logging road in Elko County in northeastern Nevada, according to a statement by the Baker City, Ore., police, who had searched for the couple.

The Chretiens disappeared in late March during a trip to Las Vegas.

The 56-year-old woman told her son, Raymond Chretien, that her 59-year-old husband set off for help on foot a few days after their van got stuck in mud and that was the last she saw of him.

"We're stunned," Raymond Chretien told The (Portland) Oregonian in a telephone interview. "We haven't fully digested it. This is a miracle."

Officer Dan Moskaluk, spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in British Columbia, said the woman was at an Idaho hospital and reportedly walking around.

"Her family said she lived off water and small amounts of trail mix," losing 20-30 pounds during the ordeal, Moskaluk told The Associated Press.

The Elko County Sheriff's office said it was coordinating a search for the Chretien.

The couple left their Penticton, British Columbia, home on March 19, and reached Baker City in eastern Oregon that afternoon, where they were captured on a store's surveillance camera.

Raymond Chretien told The Oregonian they made it to Nevada later that day, sightseeing on back roads when their van got stuck in mud. Three days later, Albert Chretien set out on foot.

"They got turned around off the main road that they should have been on," Moskaluk said.

Officials said weather over the past month in that area has included snow, rain and chilly temperatures.

"I don't believe they were prepared for winter weather," Raymond Chretien said. "They don't go camping."

The Chretiens were reported missing when they didn't return home March 30.

The RCMP, Baker City police and other agencies mounted a search in April but failed to turn up any sign.

Moskaluk described it as an extensive search covering 3,000 square miles "from March 31 onward."

He said the family is well regarded in Penticton and operates a heavy equipment excavation business.

Raymond Chretien said his mother doubts whether she would have made it three more days. She had been keeping a journal to let her family know what had happened.

Her son says she immediately apologized for the anguish she caused him, his two brothers and other relatives.

"She felt extremely bad for us all," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dadpad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:14 am
Quote:
The Chretiens

with a name like that....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:00 am
Prior to yesterday, I had not heard of "meat glue." Seems they can take tiny pieces of meat, glue them together and present it as whole cuts of meat. I just read a web page that describes the practice as pretty harmless. Hope they know what they are talking about.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 05:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

ELKO, Nev. — A rescued Canadian woman who survived for seven weeks ...

This has been a big story in our province. I just had heard about the woman being found. I'm sure the family is relieved.

I'm worried about her husband though. I have a feeling he may not have survived.

Here is a link (with photo) from our local media:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110508/bc_chretien_search_110508/20110508/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 06:26 pm
@Reyn,
Yeah, reyn; when I read about Canadians, I always think about farmerman's thread about his lost chickens.

Smile Ya know I am joshing, right?
Reyn

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 06:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I certainly hope so.

[eyes narrowed, looking at Edgar closely]

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 06:36 pm
Don't forget, I'm a Texan. You have a lot more to make fun about than I do.
Reyn

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 08:17 pm
@Reyn,
Texans are despised and shunned by many from the other states. I can't tell you how many times people have insulted me for being from here.