Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:08 pm
I have done 2 or 3 threads about the home directly across the street from mine. Every single family that has occupied that place, as long as I have lived here, has been a night mare. The last bunch moved out the other day. They took the skirting with them. They left the front entrance wide open. Worried about children going in and getting into trouble, I went to shut the door. Those people took it with them. So I tried to find out where the owner could be located. The next day, I saw a man on the porch. After he left I went up and saw that he had placed a court ordered eviction notice. Then, my neighbor let me know that the owner had decided to clear the property to bare earth and sell the lot. Good news. People who buy a lot and put a new home there are in general civilized people. Got to be an improvement.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi Edgar!

This is for a "trailer park" (or as sometimes called, manufactured homes)?

Our family lived in one for about 5 years. We owned the home, but the pad upon which it sat was rental, as they all were in the park. It became really savage, so it rather forced us to sell. Unfortunately, the values of the homes don't hold up well.

If we had had the opportunity to buy a lot, perhaps things would have been different. As far as I know, there were no parks with self-owned pads even available.

How is it where you live? I take it that some owners are allowed to rent their homes, and no rules against it? You own your pad and home?

From where we were (back in 1992), we moved to a townhouse complex where we bought our home, and had a share in all the common property within the complex.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 04:59 pm
Here's my odd story for today. It takes place in my general part of the world, so you probably haven't heard of it. It's been playing a lot in the news, as it goes back some 30 years.
-------------------------

Adult son says, Mom's body in basement

Marcella Bernardo
3/10/2011

While Vancouver Police search for human remains in a townhouse near the Joyce Street Skytrain Station, a Maple Ridge man is reporting the woman missing since 1977 was his mom.

Robert Sturcz is now 37, but he clearly remembers watching his father strangle Katherine Mary Brown 34 years ago, "He was digging a hole in the basement and got me to write a letter in crayon saying it was all my fault.

CKNW: How is it that you remember so many details?

RS: Because if you got someone killed in front of you, wouldn't you remember? That's easy. I had lots of time to think about it. I've been in jail for like, 15 years out of my life. That's the only way I know how to stay clean, by facing my demons face on, which is right now. You know, it's not a secret no more."

Sturcz says he's confident his mother's remains will be found at 4842 Rupert.

Vancouver Police say if remains are found, it could take several days to confirm the identity.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:39 pm
@Reyn,
My mobile home is on a rather large lot. It is fairly quiet here, most of the time. My neighbor is a widowed woman. On the other side is the water company, which is the pump and tanks, but no office. Across the street is the empty place. Behind me is a wooden fence, with a cul de sac on the other side. I am content here. Just got paged. Got to run.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah, I see! So, the lots are private, rather than a number of them within a complex then?

Yes, we have something like that within this city that I live in. The lots aren't that big though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:39 pm
I am a buyer, not a renter.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup, I gathered as much.

Your situation is definitely the better way to go if you have a mobile home. Renting on a pad is for the birds. You are at the mercy of landlords otherwise.

The thing here was that there were not many locations where one could put a unit down.

I believe in the U.S., there is much more choice of places that will allow someone to do so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 09:35 pm
In this area there are countless mobile home developments like the one you described, but there are several like mine.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 05:39 pm
So, does this qualify as an oddity? Wink

-----------------

at 02:28 on March 12, 2011, EST.

One winning ticket for $50-million Lotto Max jackpot
The Canadian Press

TORONTO - There’s one winning ticket for the $50-million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw.

The ticket was bought somewhere in Ontario.

Eleven of the 32 MaxMillions prizes of $1-million each were also won.

Three winning MaxMillions tickets were sold in Ontario, two in Quebec, three on the prairies, and one in British Columbia.

The remaining two MaxMillions prizes are being shared by two ticketbuyers in Ontario, one in Quebec, and one on the prairies.

Each of those four tickets is worth $500,000.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 05:42 pm
@Reyn,
It would be more of an oddity if I won some of that money.
Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
You and me both, bro! Laughing

Especially since I haven't bought a ticket in forever. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 05:59 pm
@Reyn,
I buy a single ticket, because I know I won't win if I don't play. I am pretty sure I won't win if I do play, but there is always that remote chance that I will.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:55 pm
Here's an oddball photo! Smile

----------------------------

Darth Vader bites the dust

March 09, 2011

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/wxt2540/vader.jpg

Spectators stand in front a partially inflated hot air balloon depicting Star Wars character Darth Vader before its flight during the 16th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2011 03:32 pm
oddly humorous?

Lasagna trail leads police to fugitive in Italy
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
ROME,Italy (AP) --

He avoided Italian police for a decade on the run, but couldn't resist his wife's lasagna. Police say Giancarlo Sabatini went into hiding in 2000, shortly after being given a 3-year, 8-month prison sentence in a cocaine trafficking case.

Acting on a tip, police staked out the homes of Sabatini's wife and daughter Tuesday in Rocca Priora, a town near Rome. When they spied the daughter leaving her mother's house and furtively dashing toward her home bearing a tray of lasagna, police, suspecting a secret guest, burst in and arrested Sabatini.

Many Italians prepare lasagna with meat sauce for lunch on the last Tuesday of Carnival. Police say Sabatini came from his hideout in Belgium to celebrate the last day before Lent with his family.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/03/09/international/i103018S27.DTL#ixzz1GW85QY6z
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:45 pm
That is odd, osso.

More oddities and humor.

Lost city of Atlantis believed found off Spain
Archaeologists and geologists use imagery to find site ravaged by tsunami

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2011-03/60026739.jpg

Further reading.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42072469/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Strange, the last book that I attempted to read was Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler.

Edgar Cayce thinks that we were descendants of Atlantis.

Now the humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn_ECWn9FsQ

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:54 pm
Seems like somebody is always finding Atlantis, letty. I don't know how they can tell it from other sunken civilizations.
Couldn't quite get all the way through the Tatata song. Very Happy
Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
According to the articles I read this morning, it's because the survivors of the tsunami build smaller (mirror) cities like it after the city was lost and they've been able to compare them. What cities these are and or where remains a mystery, or at least they didn't divulge the info in the articles.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:14 pm
http://www.funny-potato.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/odd-couple.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:21 pm
another oddity.

Clint Eastwood's tsunami film 'Hereafter' ends Japan screenings

I don't think anyone has to worry. I thought that film would never end. Sheeeeze.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:41 pm
@Letty,
I haven't seen that one, letty.
0 Replies