Oddities and Humor

Reyn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 05:57 pm
[...] he sought treatment for what he thought was an ear disease [...]

These sorts of stories always get to me. How could one not know what happened?
Shocked

------------------------------------

Man Lives Four Years With Knife Stuck In Head

10:00pm UK, Thursday February 17, 2011

A Chinese man sought treatment for headaches for four years - only to discover he had had a four-inch dagger lodged in his head.

Doctors in Yuxi, in China's south western Yunnan province operated on the man to extract the rusty blade.

Known as Mr Ni, he was stabbed in the lower right jaw when fighting off a robber four years ago.

After that, he began to suffer from a variety of complaints.

He took himself to hospital several times over the years but none of the examinations found the cause of his symptoms.

Apart from frequent headaches, these included bleeding from the mouth, difficulty swallowing food and becoming hoarse.

He said he also occasionally found himself talking nonsense.

Doctors at the People's Hospital in Yuxi finally discovered what was causing the problem when he sought treatment for what he thought was an ear disease.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Feb/Week3/15934384.jpg

"We checked his mouth, but no wound or scar has been found. It is very strange as to how the blade got into his head," said Xu Wen, the deputy director of the hospital's oral medicine unit.

Doctors say Mr Ni escaped death because the blade missed vital blood vessels and important facial nerves.

Mr. Ni is now recovering in hospital.

He told medical staff: "I used injections to kill the pains in my head and ears."

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:02 pm
@Reyn,
I saw that one, reyn. Amazing what the flesh can tolerate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 09:37 pm

New Hampshire Bill To Make Felony Of 'Touching Junk' (VIDEO)
www.huffingtonpost.com
John Tyner's mandate about junk-touching has gone national. A Republican state representative from New Hampshire named George Lambert has co-sponsored a bill that would make it a felony to touch or view someone's private parts without
Letty

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 11:53 am
@edgarblythe,
The humor: I thought touching junk meant the junk yard. Laughing

Another oddity.

From cold case to red hot: Ex-FBI agent is alive
Iran Video:US man proven alive after yrs. vanishing in Iran AP
By MATT APUZZO and ADAM GOLDMAN, Associated Press Matt Apuzzo And Adam Goldman, Associated Press – 57 mins ago
WASHINGTON – In an instant, the disappearance of retired FBI agent Robert Levinson in Iran went from a cold case to something very hot.
After nearly four years without word about what happened to Levinson, his family received proof late last year that the father of seven was alive. It was a dramatic development that sharply intensified diplomatic efforts to bring him home.

TV's cold case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugfzs5KR7pg&feature=related

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
@Letty,
I've been following that story, letty. Hope they can get him out. The Cold Case video is appropriate for sure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 10:36 pm
A young Thai girl with a rare genetic condition that causes her to have thick hair over most of her body has set a new Guinness World Record as the hairiest child.

Supatra "Nat" Sasuphan was born with hypertrichosis, which causes excessive hairiness and is sometimes referred to as "werewolf syndrome." The 11-year-old girl's father contacted Guinness World Record staff, requesting that they consider her for the title of hairiest child.

Guinness World Record judges evaluated Sasuphan's body hair using the Ferriman Gallwey method, which consists of measuring the amount of hair on nine different parts of the body – the upper lip, chin, chest, back, abdomen, arm, forearm, thigh, and lower leg.

After assessing Sasuphan, the judges crowned her with the world's hairiest child title on the GWR's Italian TV show, "Lo Show dei Record."

"Being hairy makes me special," Sasuphan told GWR. "This is the happiest day of my life!"

This article was provided by Life's Little Mysteries , a sister site to LiveScience.com.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 10:38 pm
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=957&bih=427&q=werewolf+syndrome&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g4g-m2&aql=&oq=
werewolf syndrome images
Letty

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 11:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Weird, edgar. (I'm the harriest girl in the whole USA Razz )

Here is another oddity.

Gary Busey - Actor Gary Busey is not a complex man. "The Buddy Holly Story" actor gave a simple answer when speaking with Esquire magazine for his reason to join the latest season of "Celebrity Apprentice".

"They asked me. It’s that easy, yeah.”

Perhaps it helped that Busey knows Donald Trump personally,

“I’m interested in all things that Donald Trump does. I’ve known him since 1980,” he said. “He’s a good man. We spent some time in New York one night with Keith Carradine. Carradine was doing Will Rogers on Broadway, so we went out and just told jokes and had a good time.

“[With the show,] there’s three things to do to come on board, and I say this regarding all the future people who might be doing Celebrity Apprentice. Here’s what you do: One, you pray for the best. Two, you prepare for the worst. And three, you expect the unexpected. And four, sleep deprivation.

Gary likes Donald Trump? Yikes

Did NOT know that Gary did Buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FleeRgzrdo

The profile at the beginning was odd also

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:07 pm
I watched the Buddy Holly Story three times. It was extremely good, except I have to protest when somebody else sings the subjects' music in film bios. It's what we came to love them for and yet we are given substitutes.

I have never watched those Apprentice shows. But somebody does or it would have gotten cancelled long ago.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:54 pm
Hidden camera prank reveals that creepy kids standing in hotel hallways = instant terror

Cyriaque Lamar
http://io9.com/#!5777397/hidden-camera-prank-reveals-that-creepy-kids-standing-in-hotel-hallways--instant-terror

Could anyone translate the narrator's Spanish? Especially when they're talking about the last reaction shot?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 02:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw that clip the other day... it made me wonder if there was some cultural context I was missing.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 02:45 pm
@DrewDad,
you really should keep your context in your garage.
Eva

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:12 pm
@dyslexia,
Oh! Not the garage! It could get sucked into a vortex! No telling where it would show up next. We can't have loose contexts flying around all over the place. Especially cultural ones. Imagine the chaos!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 06:56 pm
@DrewDad,
I think the context is from the horror movie The Ring. I haven't seen it, so don't quote me.
http://strangefunnyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/the-ring-evil-girl-450x255.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:30 am
@Ceili,
The Ring and a half dozen other recent very popular horror films/video games that involve creepy little long haired girls. But The Ring is the main reference I believe.

~~~
Watch Spain’s King Philip IV Sign Autographs by His Portrait at the Met
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/03/improv_everywhere_museum_prank.html?mid=372858&rid=122590651
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:08 pm
A man called 911 to say there was a burglary in progress and he wanted police to come protect him. The caller, however, was the alleged intruder.

Timothy James Chapek, 24, had allegedly broken into a home in Portland, Ore., and was taking a shower in the house when the woman who lived there returned about 7 p.m. Monday, according to police.

Chapek leaped into the bathroom, locked the door and called 911. "I just broke into a house and the owners came home...I think they have guns," he told the operator according to the 911 audio tapes.

He goes on to tell the operator that he has no idea where he is.

"I'm up in the hills," he says.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
2651 **** creek drive.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:13 pm
Brazilian woman killed by husband's coffin

By Xinhua News Agency

A 67-year-old widow was hit in the head by her husband's coffin and died Monday morning in southern Brazil. The incident occurred in the small town of Tapes in southern Rio Grange do Sul state. According to the Federal Highway Police (PRF), Marciana da Silva Barcelos was sitting in the back seat of a Toyota Hilux pickup truck, which was transporting her husband's coffin to the cemetery in nearby Alvorada town.
Letty

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm
@Reyn,
Wow! What a way to go, Reyn. Shocked

Another oddity

Ice Age Child Found in Prehistoric Alaskan Home
Cremation site hints at how first Americans lived—and where they came from.

http://media.thenewstribune.com/smedia/2011/02/24/11/78-eArctic_Child.102556.original.standalone.prod_affiliate.5.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 06:12 pm
@Letty,
I believe the original inhabitants have been shown to have a variety of starting points, rather than having a single heritage.
0 Replies