Oddities and Humor

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:39 pm
New penguin chick at Moody Gardens video
http://www.chron.com/video/?742113203001
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:12 pm
"(After) a wild six month ride, the tumor is gone," Michael Douglas told Lauer. "But, you know, I have to check out on a monthly basis now to maintain."

"I feel good, relieved. The tumor is gone," says Douglas.

"The odds are, with the tumor gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I've got it beat!"

Michael also said his appetite is back and he's slowly gaining the weight he lost during his bout with the Big C.

Next, Douglas returns to thesping as flamboyant showman Liberace in new biopic.

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:21 pm
A very good documentary. Funny & Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzWgzVruic
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:39 pm
An interplanetary trip to Mars could take as little as 10 months, but returning would be virtually impossible -- making the voyage a form of self-imposed exile from Earth unlike anything else in human history.

What would inspire someone to volunteer? We've just found out.

A special edition of the Journal of Cosmology details exactly how a privately-funded, one-way mission to Mars could depart as soon as 20 years from now -- and it prompted more than 400 readers to volunteer as colonists.

"I've had a deep desire to explore the universe ever since I was a child and understood what a rocket was," Peter Greaves told FoxNews.com. Greaves is the father of three, and a jack-of-all-trades who started his own motorcycle dispatch company and fixes computers and engines on the side.

"I envision life on Mars to be stunning, frightening, lonely, quite cramped and busy," he told FoxNews.com. "Unlike Earth I wouldn't be able to sit by a stream or take in the view of nature's wonder, or hug a friend, or breath deeply the sweet smell of fresh air -- but my experience would be so different from all 6 to 7 billion human beings ... that in itself would make up for the things I left behind."

A NASA spacecraft has been beaming to Earth incredibly detailed pictures of the surface of Mars. And the beautiful colors and rich textures of the red planet will shock you.

The psychological effect of space travel

Other volunteers include a 69-year old computer programmer, a college student at Texas A&M, and a 45-year-old nurse. Reverend Paul Gregersen, pastor of the Clarno Zion United Methodist Church, also said he would be willing to travel off-planet -- permanently.

"As the human race continues to expand, it only make sense to explore opportunities for human life out in the cosmos," Gregersen told FoxNews.com. "Also, I have the feeling that spiritual issues would come up among the crew. The early explorers on Earth always took clergy with them."

But more than spiritual issues will arise, warn psychologists who have worked with NASA.

"It's going to be a very long period of isolation and confinement," said Albert Harrison, who has studied astronaut psychology since the 1970s as a professor of psychology at UC Davis. He also warned that life on Mars wouldn't be as romantic as it sounded.

"After the excitement of blast-off, and after the initial landing on Mars, it will be very difficult to avoid depression. After all, one is breaking one’s connections with family, friends, and all things familiar," he told FoxNews.com.

"Each day will be pretty much like the rest. The environment, once the novelty wears off, is likely to be deadly boring. Despite being well prepared and fully equipped there are certain to be unanticipated problems that cannot be remedied. One by one the crew will get old, sick, and die-off."

All communications with Earth would also come with a delay of about 45 minutes. The volunteers said they are aware of the psychological issues, but believe they would be able to handle them.

"I've spent an inordinate amount of time with myself and my own thoughts, and am happy to do so till the end of days," Greaves said.

Are they qualified?

Volunteering is all well and good, but would Greaves or Gregersen have a chance of being selected? NASA spokesman James Hartsfield referred to the astronaut application guidelines posted on the agency's website.

Currently, the requirement of a college degree in science, engineering, or math -- followed by years of professional experience -- would probably disqualify most, he said. However, the mission in question is not intended to be sponsored by NASA. Harrison said he was more upbeat about the volunteers.

“The people within this group show high interest and would bring varied backgrounds and experiences to the mission,” he said. “Also, there will be spiritual issues to address, and it would not surprise me at all if the mission would benefit from someone who served as a chaplain.”

Currently, NASA astronauts must complete at least 4 to 5 years of training before going on long-duration missions. The training includes intense physical tests.

“Astronaut Candidates are required to complete military water survival before beginning their flying syllabus, and become SCUBA qualified to prepare them for spacewalk training,” the guidelines read.

Harrison said that he was sure good colonists could be found, but that political and regulatory hurdles would be a tougher issue.

"There will be tremendous public and political opposition from many members of the public to a mission which can only end in death ... There are people who can do the job, but the question is, will the public let them do it? I think to sell the missions, there has to be at least some chance of the astronauts returning."

The journey home

Harrison's comments raise an important issue: Why must this be a one-way mission? Why couldn't the brave few come back home?

“We prefer the one-way mission as it would drastically reduce costs,” said Dirk Schulze-Makuch, a professor at Washington State University who contributed to the Journal. His plan involves sending supplies to Mars as necessary, but not a return vehicle.

"The astronauts would be re-supplied on a periodic basis from Earth with basic necessities, but otherwise would be expected to become increasingly proficient at harvesting and utilizing resources available on Mars. Eventually the outpost would reach self-sufficiency, and then it could serve as a hub for a greatly expanded colonization program."

Given the difficulties of the mission, Lana Tao, the editor of the Journal, said she was surprised by the response.

"The e-mails volunteering were a complete surprise. At first we thought the e-mails were a joke, that volunteers were not serious. Then we received more and more with men giving their reasons and qualifications, and we realized they were completely serious."

Pasha Rostov, the 69-year old computer programmer, is serious about it.

"I do VERY well with solitude," he wrote of his qualifications. "I am handy with tools, very good at making things work, have generated my own solar energy, built three houses (with my own hands) and am quite sane and stable."

"And, I am ready to go to Mars. Sign me up," he wrote.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 05:29 am
New York – Penned by a mystery author, a "Primary Colors"-style novel about the future of the Obama administration will soon hit shelves. Who's behind it?

Washington is abuzz with rumors about O, a speculative novel about the Obama presidency penned by "Anonymous." Publisher Simon & Schuster says only that the shadowy scribe has "been in the room with Barack Obama" and has "spent years observing politics." Set in the future during the 2012 presidential election, the 368-page novel is said to mix fiction with reality — much like "Primary Colors," the 1996 novel about Bill Clinton published anonymously by journalist Joe Klein. Beltway pundits are desperate to identify the mystery author before the novel hits shelves later this month. Who are the frontrunners?

1. Joe Klein
Could Klein, now a columnist at Time, have played the same trick again? asks Lloyd Grove at The Daily Beast. Klein says he didn't: "You get to do that only once in a lifetime, I think." Uh, the last time Klein "vehemently denied his involvement" in an anonymous political novel, says Juli Weiner at Vanity Fair, "it turned out he did write [it]." Why believe him now?

2. Robert Gibbs
On the other hand, the publishers' description of the author "fits Gibbs to a T," says Grove, and it is "at minimum, an intriguing coincidence" that the White House press secretary chose to resign just a few weeks before the book's publication. That said, Gibbs has been "rather busy" over the last two years, and "literary flair" isn't his strong suit.

3. Rahm Emanuel
While "the smart money is on Klein, the optimistic money is on former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel," says The Guardian, though "Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert" are also possibilities. Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck? Less likely.

4. Ben Smith
Politico correspondent Ben Smith has been leading a hunt for the anonymous author on his blog, where he and colleague Byron Tau have gathered denials from, among others, Bill Ayers, David Axelrod, David Plouffe, former White House communications director Anita Dunn, and New York Times columnist David Brooks. But what about Smith himself? asks Ben Grossman-Cohen at Aggregate Appeal. He fits the description, and has "publicized the upcoming release on multiple occasions." Sorry, responds Smith. "I didn't do it."

5. President Obama
Brian Stelter of The New York Times tells Politico that "Obama himself, ever insistent on controlling his narrative... [may have] penned the book." Is it "far-fetched" to think the president — an "established bestselling author" — is responsible? asks Lloyd Grove at The Daily Beast. "Sure. But it's a possibility worth considering." Not if you're White House spokesperson Bill Burton, who declined to comment on the speculation.

6. President Obama's teleprompter
So the author "knows Obama intimately," sums up Prudence at The Prudence Paine Papers, "tells Obama what to do," and "has written for Obama." The answer is obvious, surely? The "TOTUS" — that is, the "teleprompter of the United States." Mystery solved.

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Wow! Fantastic revelation, edgar.

oddity? Heidi the cross-eyed possum

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/heidi-possum-1.jpg

Humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vurpObHcxAM&feature=related
hingehead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 06:31 pm
This is apparently from Streetview in Google maps - anyone know if it's real or not? I've found the general area, but don't have the time to 'wander' up and down the streets.
http://i.imgur.com/Nh6Xj.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:35 pm
@Letty,
Don't know which is funnier - the possum or the song.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:38 pm
crazy cop video crash...

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Sheriff_Dash_Cam_Catches_Spectacular_Crash_113403329.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:00 pm
World governments should prepare a co-ordinated action plan in case Earth is contacted by aliens, according to scientists. (wink, wink).

They argue that a branch of the UN must be given responsibility for "supra-Earth affairs" and formulate a plan for how to deal with extraterrestrials, should they appear.

The comments are part of an extraterrestrial-themed edition of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A published today. In it, scientists examine all aspects of the search for extraterrestrial life, from astronomy and biology to the political and religious fallout that would result from alien contact.

"Will a suitable process based on expert advice from proper and responsible scientists arise at all, or will interests of power and opportunism more probably set the scene?" asked Professor John Zarnecki of the Open University and Dr Martin Dominik of the University of St Andrews in the introductory paper. "A lack of co-ordination can be avoided by creating an overarching framework in a truly global effort governed by an international politically legitimated body." The pair argue that the UN has a ready-made mechanism for such a forum in its Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (Copuos).

Member states of Copuos should put "supra-Earth affairs" on their agenda, say the scientists, and establish structures similar to those proposed for dealing with threats from near-Earth objects, such as asteroids, that might be on a collision course with our planet.

According to Simon Conway Morris, a professor of evolutionary palaeobiology at Cambridge University, anyone planning for alien contact should prepare for the worst.

Evolution on alien worlds, he said, is likely to be Darwinian in nature. Morris argues that life anywhere else in the universe will therefore probably have important similarities with life on Earth – especially if it comes from Earth-like worlds that have similar biological molecules to ours. That means ET might resemble us, warts and all, with our tendencies towards violence and exploitation.

"Why should we 'prepare for the worst'? First, if intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far from glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," wrote Morris in the journal's special issue.

Ted Peters, a professor of systematic theology at the Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in California, considered what might happen to the world's religions in the event of ET making contact. Conventional wisdom suggests that terrestrial religion would collapse if the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) were confirmed, he wrote.

"Because our religious traditions formulated their key beliefs within an ancient world view now out of date, would shocking new knowledge dislodge our pre-modern dogmas? Are religious believers Earth-centric, so that contact with ET would de-centre and marginalise our sense of self-importance? Do our traditional religions rank us human beings on top of life's hierarchy, so if we meet ETI who are smarter than us will we lose our superior rank? If we are created in God's image, as the biblical traditions teach, will we have to share that divine image with our new neighbours?"

His conclusion, however, is that faith in Earth's major religions would survive intact. "Theologians will not find themselves out of a job. In fact, theologians might relish the new challenges to reformulate classical religious commitments in light of the new and wider vision of God's creation."

"Traditional theologians must then become astrotheologians ... What I forecast is this: contact with extraterrestrial intelligence will expand the existing religious vision that all of creation – including the 13.7bn-year history of the universe replete with all of God's creatures – is the gift of a loving and gracious God," he speculated.

It seems the potential aliens become more sophisticated as we become more so. - edgarblythe
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
there is snow in 49 of the 50 states right now. (sorry miss letty)

http://www.livescience.com/environment/winter-weather-snow-49-states-110112.html
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:35 am
@Rockhead,
At least there ain't none Smile in the Houston area.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 06:34 am
@Rockhead,
I promise never to bitch when the temperature is above 90 degrees from June thru September. I have to keep remembering why I am in Florida, and no snow is one big reason!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 03:21 pm
Pat Robertson: Snow Is God's Way of Punishing Americans Planning To Drive To Do Something Gay
Andy Borowitz Sat Jan 1, 3:00 am ET

Creators Syndicate – VIRGINIA BEACH (The Borowitz Report) — Rev. Pat Robertson sparked controversy in today's broadcast of his "700 Club" program when he claimed that God created the blizzard currently battering the Northeast "to punish Americans who were planning to drive to do something gay."

__Explaining his theory, Robertson said, "Because of the bad road conditions the Almighty has made, any gay activities that people were planning on doing will have to be postponed by a day or two."__ Additionally, he argued, God shut down major airports in the New York area "so that people who were hoping to fly to do something of a gay nature would have to take a train or a bus, so it might be days before the gay thing they were going to do could occur."__

As for the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather, the televangelist said, "I think God probably wonders: If these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?"__

In other blizzard-related news, the National Weather Service offered this update: "It's as white as a Glenn Beck rally out there."

Winter Weather Expected to Dominate Conversations of Boring People

Tedious observations about the severe winter weather are expected to dominate the conversations of uninteresting people for the next 24 to 48 hours, boredom experts warned today.

With blizzard conditions blanketing the Northeast, a powerful front of mind-numbing weather-related banter is expected to pound the Eastern Seaboard from Sunday into Monday, with statements of the obvious stretching from the Carolinas to New England.

"Blizzards like this are when boring people really come alive, unfortunately," said Dr. Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota's Meteorology Institute. "I would advise everyone to stay inside and avoid all contact with dull individuals unless it's an absolute emergency."__

Tracy Klugian, 57, a prominent bore from Cincinnati, Ohio, said that she planned to take a break from her scrapbooking hobby to post Facebook updates about the weather on an hourly basis.

"I live for days like this," said Klugian. "I've already said 'so much for global warming' 10 times today."__ And Klugian said she was spending the afternoon calling friends and relatives "to ask if it's cold enough for them."

__"I sure have a lot to say about this snow and everything," she said. "I can't wait until somebody picks up."
Letty

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 03:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
We need to give Pat a bear hug. Laughing That the humor. Here's the oddity.

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2009/11/16/16/PolarBear_Binky2.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGbCNDw-m0
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:09 pm
I often wonder if Pat Robertson believes a word of what Pat Robertson says.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
But them polar bears look so cuddly.
Letty

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:33 am
@edgarblythe,
This guy ain't cuddly.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Black-Beard.jpg

oddity:

Experts are now almost certain that a partly gilded hilt found in a wreck off the North Carolina coast held the sword of history's most feared and notorious pirate - Blackbeard.

It was discovered amid the wreckage of the Queen Anne's Revenge, the flagship of the infamous 18th century outlaw.

Humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUaJZX9ZkM

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 08:20 am
Thanks, letty. I really enjoyed the Blackbeard video.
0 Replies