Oddities and Humor

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
The less you know before hitting the link the better:
http://tinyurl.com/48k9gjk
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 08:51 pm
Jay Bakker has a very famous last name. The reputation of his parents — disgraced evangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker — usually precedes his own.

That hasn't been easy, he says in his new book, especially since he decided to follow in the family business and become a pastor himself.

Bakker co-founded Revolution Church in 1994 and now runs the New York City branch, which meets every Sunday afternoon at a Brooklyn bar.

A church that meets in a bar is pretty atypical, but then again, so is Bakker, who counts Marlon Brando as one of his fashion icons and is covered in tattoos — including one tattoo that reads, "Religion Destroys."

"Religion can be a very dangerous thing," Bakker tells NPR's Guy Raz. "It's a constant reminder to me to be careful."

In Fall To Grace: A Revolution of God, Self and Society, Bakker makes it clear it's grace, not religion, that he believes in.

"Grace is unconditional acceptance," he says. "It's just that moment where you're able to say, 'I am accepted by a power greater than myself.'"

Bakker's unorthodox beliefs lead him to controversial social stances that have branded him as a heretic in many Christian circles. One of those stances includes fighting for gay rights.

He believes gay marriage should be legalized and is very active within the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. The Bible, he says, has been misconstrued by many Christians and needs to be re-examined to include these important civil rights.

"I believe that the church is unfortunately still the 'tail light,' as Martin Luther King used to say," Bakker says, referring to King's musing that religious communities usually seem behind on matters of social justice. "I'm hoping that we can become the headlight one day."
Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:19 am
Here's my oddball for today!

Link to see this picture after story.

-------------------

at 00:24 on January 14, 2011, EST.

Michigan woman recreates da Vinci's "Last Supper" with dryer lint

The Canadian Press

ROSCOMMON, Mich. - A northern Michigan woman has put her own spin on Leonardo da Vinci’s “The Last Supper” by making a replica of it out of laundry lint.

Laura Bell of Roscommon collected lint from her dryer and fashioned it into a four-metre-long, one-metre tall reproduction of the Italian Renaissance painter's masterpiece.

Bell says she needed about 800 hours to do enough laundry to get the lint, and 200 hours to recreate the mural.

She bought towels of the colours she wanted and laundered them separately to get the right shades of lint.

Her artwork has caught the eye of Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, which plans to put it on display at one of its museums.

Ripley’s says it also has Last Supper replicas made from a grain of rice, a dime and burned toast.

-----------------------

Click the link to see the picture, and then click the picture to see a bigger version!

http://www.ripleysnewsroom.com/lint/
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:22 am
@Reyn,
I watched a story about that lint picture on last night's news, reyn. That was a time consuming undertaking.
Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Really? How timely! Laughing

All kidding aside, though, I wonder how it was transported?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:27 am
@Reyn,
In a lint trap?
Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Methinks not:

Quote:
The massive masterpiece measures 14 feet long by 4 feet tall

Wink Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
          http://blog.myunv.com/2010/12/22/bbc-comedians-make-fun-with-tech-lingo/
spendius

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:47 am
@farmerman,
Pathetic.

A personal pager on the apple, put the combination on the desk top and start browsing like a mouse browses around the cheese grater with the whiskers ( a low tech joke) trolling.
spendius

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:50 am
@spendius,
I bet you never thought of trolling being the initial stages of seduction. Particularly regarding respectable married ladies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:05 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The image does not load for me. I see a red X.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
HMMM, just noticed that it got dropped quickly. You can just paste the URL into google and it comes up. I just did it and I assume that everyone here is quicker on the draw than I
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
You used the img button. No need to use the url or img button when posting a link.

Edgar, anytime something like this happens, just click the quote button and copy the url address from there.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:06 pm
eggs box indeed. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:07 pm
http://x4d.xanga.com/6f1f733309335252419976/b200495960.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:05 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:53 pm
Report: Smart Car Terrible For Doughnuts
onion.com
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:48 pm
Watched an old film titled, Destination Moon, or something. As they undertook to do a space walk (didn't catch the nature of the problem that instigated it) I figured the special effects would be similar to the old Superman-on-a-board. Instead, they had the astronauts walking on the craft, using magnetic shoes. Instead of tethering themselves with the lines, they held the ends of them as they conducted their walk. One wandered further than the rest. He hooked his line on something, let go of it, and leaned over to look at something on the side of the space ship. His magnets lost contact and he floated away. The entire movie was hokey like that.
Reyn

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Watched an old film titled, Destination Moon

Was it this one, Edgar?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
@Reyn,
That's the one, reyn. I was surprised to see Heinlein's name on it, but then I don't respect him as an author all that much anyway.