Drugs/alcohol-experiences and observations.

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 06:58 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I am smiling big-time today because I found out I have passed the drugs & alcohol test for my new job, and I can finally get on with the rest of my life after kicking a long-term pot habit.

Wilso wrote:

good stuff. After climbing the walls for the first week, it gets a lot easier. A month and you don't even think about it anymore.

Grand Duke wrote:
Cheers Wilso. Combatting the boredom has been the biggest problem. Mainly reading lots of books, playing PS2, exercise & a few beers have got me through. I suspect it will always be with me - even now after 2 months clean I can taste it in my mind.

Good luck with your venture mate as well.

Wilso wrote:
Thanks Duke. Don't that I could have been as successful as I have been so far if I was still on the weed.

BTW, appetite improved?

Grand Duke wrote:
Appetite has defintely moved towards the healthy end of the spectrum - it was mainly takeaways or breakfast cereal before (and I could never finish a whole meal, and ended up reheating stuff the next day to finish it off). I can now be bothered to cook 'proper food from ingredients' and as a result feel a healthier and have lost a small amount of weight.

I've also started dreaming again, which was a very rare occurance for a long time whilst stoned.

Wilso wrote:

That's happened to me twice. Once when getting off dope, and when I experience a lift in depression. I think it's a sure sign that the stuff causes depression. Giving it up you get a large increase in neuro-transmitter levels. And depression is generally characterised by low neuro-transmitter levels!

eoe wrote:
Man, you guys talk about weed like it's heroin.

Wilso wrote:

When it's the centre of your life, it may as well be. You can't go out, unless you've had a smoke first. You can't go on holiday's unless you can get it where you're going, or you can't enjoy it. When it's the first thing you do in the morning, the first thing you do when you get home from work, and the last thing you do before you go to sleep, it's as bad as any other drug.
What's worse is you don't realise how bad, until you get off it-and you're not depressed any more, and you've suddenly got an appetite, and energy, and you can sleep better, and you start dreaming a lot, and waking up feeling like you've slept, and you don't have to hide anything from people, and you've got more money in your pocket, and you don't get angry as easily- the list just goes on and on and on.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
What kind of dope did you guys smoke anyway....depressed? No appetite? are you kidding me? I was a heavy dope smoker for years but it never depressed me and it damn sure never took away my appetite, and when i was in a situation where there was no dope available or it was inappropriate to be smoking....well I just didn't that's all.

I will still get stoned if the set and setting is correct, but like many other things with a busier life and more responsibilities it's not appropriate as much as it used to be, so I've cut way back....but I didn't feel like I was "kicking a habit" and it sure wasn't unpleasant....to me, pot is one of the most pleasant and innocuous things you can do...besides work out or SEX Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation .........it's THE stress reliever and you can still go to the store or whatever......

Cocaine on the other hand can be a little more problematic...but even after doing coke for 20 years I quit one day when I decided to, and even then I was edgy for a couple of days and that's about it......I guess mindset has a lot to do with it as well....NO one or NO thing with the exception of "The South" is my master....and that's that. Not like I'm claiming to be virtuous, just headstrong...... :wink:

cavfancier wrote:
Pretty much everyone I knew in high school and university smoked weed. Most didn't have any problems with it, but I did know a couple of guys who had experiences that sound like Wilso's, so it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. If it were liquor, they would have been alcoholics of the worst kind. People can judge which drugs are benign, and which are bad, but the truth is that addiction is related to personality, and does not discriminate.

Anway, Mrs. cav is going to a Lord of the Rings do this weekend, and her mom made her an elf costume. Seeing her in it this morning made me smile. Smile

nimh wrote:

it can be very addictive. not physically, but psychologically. i had someone around who ended up with the situation wilso is describing. its sad. my friend is now back to three joints a day (i think ...), and even that - it wastes so much of your time, of your energy, systematically gets in the way between you and initiative in life. she had the problem with appetite too, but not with dreaming. and yeh, depression. typically an escape that, if you end up going there all the time to avoid facing the rest of your life, makes the need for escape bigger still - etc

cav is right i think. addiction is totally personality-related. some people are just more addictive-prone, something in the genetic or psychological make up i guess. almost everyone i know's smoked joints once in a while or still does, but i dont know any others, personally, for whom it became a problem like that - but i have friends who tell the same story about friends of theirs, two, three cases. on the other hand i have a friend who used coke (on weekends) for years, with no sign of addiction - like, she doesnt miss it when she goes travelling and she doesnt really miss it now that she hardly using it anymore either. she did crack two or three times, too, didnt get hooked. it seems like some people are immune or something. i did some e for some time, no addiction whatsoever.

it depends on what your life looks like, too, i guess - the more it is an escape rather than a pleasant passtime, the more risky. but again, once you use it as an escape, and you use enough of it, itll mess your life up enough for you to need ever more of it. i dunno. congrats to wilso and duke, in any case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,181 • Replies: 113
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:11 am
We're not talking here about an occasional smoke. When I was smoking this stuff heavily, I would come home from work, start smoking at 4:00 pm, and stop when I went to bed at 10:30. As soon as I got up the next morning, I'd have a smoke before work, and the cycle would start again.

The weekend, I'd probably smoke a 1/4 ounce. As for what I was smoking-about 10 years ago here a type of cannabis known as "skunk" hit the street. It's about 10 to 20 times stronger than any other form, and makes Durban poison resemble grass clippings. The effects of getting off it aren't realised until you actually do. So I didn't know it was causing depression, until I stopped and after getting over it was less depressed. I didn't know it was causing loss of apetite, until stopping and finding my apetite improved. I didn't know it stopped me from dreaming, until I stopped and I was dreaming again.

Lot's of high school and uni students use it here- I see them arrive at classes with their eyes hanging out of their head. But the fact is the majority of these people simply don't have the financial resources to get into the stuff in the way I was.

So pot may be pleasant and innocuous once in a while, but if you do NOTHING else but smoke, it's as damaging as any other drug. I recently saw a documentary about it's use in Australia, and I saw lot's of experiences similar to my own. The laws covering the substance in this country are far more lax than that of the US, which has resulted in the availability of such potent forms as what I've described.

What I'm saying is that anyone who smokes in the way I did, WILL be addicted, regardless of their personality, and WILL spend 2 weeks climbing the walls when they get off the stuff, if they ever do.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:14 am
Strangely though, I've never been a drinker, and can still get smashed off only 4 or 5 drinks. That's mainly because it usually makes me sick before I can even get that far. I can't drink beer at all. Something about it just doesn't agree with me. I once remember getting severe stomach cramps (last year actually) after just 2 mouth fulls.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
I would opine that one's self-attitude not only determines one's propensity for dependency, but also one's chance to "kick" a habit. I was a heavy drinker for many, many years. It created significant problems in my life. By the time i reached 40, however, my attitude toward myself had changed, and i began to see the people around with different insight. I soon dispensed with alcohol as a part of my life, with a bit of backsliding, and it has not been a problem for me to live without it. I still smoke reefer, and i still smoke cigarettes. It would be easier to give up the reefer, and i'm nothing like a heavy, daily user. The tobacco would be much, much more difficult--both because of a very real physical component in the addiction, and because it's the last crutch for dealing with my nervous energy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:20 am
Wilso, i have a friend, a very dear friend, who still smokes as you describe. I've looked him straight in the eye and told him that he just smokes for the act of smoking, that he has already gotten the buzz. He admits as much, and then makes really self-defeating jokes about worshipping marijuana, and rolls up another one. I've had to tell him before to stop when he's at my house, because between the tobacco smoke and his reefer smoke, i have a hard time breathing. Even in my heaviest days of reefer abuse, i was never that bad--hell, i'd get so stoned i'd forget to light up, forget where i put it . . . i've never understood obsessive pot smoking--but i'm not trying to be holier-than-thou about it, given my history with booze . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:23 am
Nobody here rolls the stuff, it's too wasteful. Myself and everyone I know/knew always smoked through a bong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:25 am
Bongs absolutely trash my lungs, never was very good with them . . . my buddy rolls them up in "blunts"--cigar wrapper leaf . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:30 am
Stopping also got rid of the chronic cough I had developed-obviously due to the bong's harsh work on the lungs that you describe. And like you I still smoke cigarettes, and yep, that would definitely be the hardest habit to kick.

I've recently gone back to rolling my own cigarettes, because they're cheaper and I don't smoke as much-because I've got to take the time to roll them, I generally only smoke when I really want one, other than just lighting up out of habit.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:03 am
when I was a kid my dad was a dealer so I got into some heavy **** i'd stay up a week stright taking E and drinking constantly i still smoke the odd joined but i stopped the rest when I took a look around and seen 90% of my family was in jail.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
One of the high school friends mentioned in my quoted post was really bad, constant pot, morning to night....we had a project to do together, so we met at his place to work on it. He was clearly high when I got there, to the point that he could barely roll another joint. He was glassy-eyed, and drooled on the papers while trying to roll. He eventually passed out, and I did the entire project myself. He did pull himself out of his habit eventually, and has become a wonderful, spiritual person. I think the time he spent in Israel really helped him out. I used to make fun of people from high school who went to Israel to work on the Kibbutzim, but this time, I think it saved someone from themself.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 09:51 am
ya i remember watching a buddy die off a bad acid hit 1 night.....seen it too much still hurts to think about i remember going to class high my teachers thought it was great cuz if i wasnt high i was a macho jerk and a smartass class clown.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
Fascinated but no time to contribute.

I have one psychologically addicted friend and plenty of my friends since university days have been regular/occasional users with no apparent addiction.

I hear that cocaine and nicotine have exactly the same "addictiveness" profile...interesting, huh?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:14 am
I only smoke when I sing. I hear music differently or better, I'm not sure.
Wilso, pot in moderation is fine by me, but by the time your smoking the amount you talk about your just chasing the high. It's impossible to really achieve it, but you'd kill your lungs trying.
I believe Canada has the worlds best - most potent, BC Bud. I lived in BC on and off over the years and I'm telling you, even this stuff loses its kick if its abused. Addiction to anything can cause depression except sex, maybe...;-} It's also been my observation, alcohol and pot don't mix well. Most people puke at some point when imbibing in the two.
Ceili
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:10 am
celi you have never been to jamaica or amsterdam IMO it's Amsterdam, Jamaica, BC. I never puked much on pot and alcohol but then again I had gotten used to it.....if you have an addictive personality or your in a bad situation you can get adicted to anything.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
I had to remove this post. It made me too nervous, exposing so much. Confused
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:10 am
safecracker wrote:
celi you have never been to jamaica or amsterdam IMO it's Amsterdam, Jamaica, BC. I never puked much on pot and alcohol but then again I had gotten used to it.....if you have an addictive personality or your in a bad situation you can get adicted to anything.

My experience was that drinking first and then smoking was no problem. Smoking first then drinking was....................bad.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:55 am
I've never smoked weed, experimented with cig's but never smoked a complete pack, hate beer, only been drunk once and hated that.

Had one girlfriend for a short time who was addicted to weed and other, I couldn't handle the multipersonalities.

My sister has a terrible addiction to cig's.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:44 am
bookmark

safecracker - hefty story <nods>
0 Replies

hello

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:03 pm
has anyone ever had morphine?
i detached my foot from my leg skating, and it took the doctors three weeks to re-attach it. during those three weeks, i had intraveinus morphine literally on tap. it killed the pain a bit, but gives halucinations. it was the most weird experiance of my life... i saw hamsters running up and down the exposed bone sticking out of my leg.
im not into drugs, but i enjoyed the morphine for what it was. its about 3 years since that, but it made me curious as to what other drugs do to you. has anyone ever tried magic mushrooms? that sounds like a blast... but dangerous too... id like to hear anyones experiance with that drug...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 06:17 pm
When I was in a headcase ward for 2 weeks seven years ago, a couple of times I had a liquid called largactil. That was the closest I came to hallucinations. Closed my eyes and I was flying F18's. Weird experience. That place also poured tranquilisers down my throat every night, to the point that when I got out I didn't sleep for 4 days. Want to talk about addictiveness-legal drugs are the absolute worst.
0 Replies