Drugs/alcohol-experiences and observations.

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:51 am
You are in the right there Duke. I'm about a 2 pint daily dude as well, and at a party, maybe 4-5. We have some pubs here just like that as well. Nice to go to when you just want a read, some lunch, and a brewskie.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:01 am
I dont drink regularly (these days only at the weekends) - neither do I do binge drinking - but I CANNOT go to a pub alone for a drink !!! (Unless I am travelling and am in the hotel bar, or am looking to pick someone up when I am abroad)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:13 am
I have a quiet pub I frequent nearby where I get a lot of menu planning and paperwork done actually.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:16 am
When at University I used to read through my lecture notes whilst supping a brew. Helped to numb the pain of Molecular Biology!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:17 am
I actually don't like the feeling of being drunk very much.

If I wish to get drunk, I'd rather it was on delicious cocktails (no creamy ones, either!) or - even better - on a variety of wines to accompany the courses of an excellent meal.

Beers in the summer always have a certain appeal, but after about 2 or 3 I'm usually happy to stop.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:28 am
Well, KP, if you are ever in Toronto, I do a bang-up wine tasting dinner, for a fee, as I am sure you know. Wink
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:46 am
cavfancier wrote:
E is a combination of chemical mescaline and methamphetamine. Not a safe drug, despite claims of supposedly natural E being just that.

No, not really. Though in the phenethylamines family, MDMA is not a combination of those those siblings. Methyl group makes all the difference in the latter Smile (Although many times pills can contain MDEA, sometimes MDA as well dependant on chemist)

Those no "natural" e per say. In all of the studies that I have read and continue to read as published I've yet to see mdma being hazardous if one practises safe drug use(vitamins A, C, E, and alpha-lipoic acid, 5-HTP, and, if possible, an SSRI) and obviously if done in moderation.

Geez, my apologies for nitpicking over your post. Embarrassed
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:57 am
No problem there, wenchilina, you are the one in the know, for sure. Thanks for clarifying!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:42 am
Gautam wrote:
but I CANNOT go to a pub alone for a drink !!!

Why not G? I thought that ignoring strangers was a necessary trait for Londoners and that you'd be left alone. Unless you don;t want to be left alone! It must be a North-South thing...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:54 am
I dont know GD, I just feel so conspicuous sitting alone in a pub. I always get the feeling that other people are like - "look how sorry that guy is, sitting alone" - strange, but then thats my middle name Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:57 am
Quote:
The beauty of most British pubs is that you can drink alone without people bothering you or thinking you're an alky. I'll sit quietly in the corner, smoke a few fags and drink a couple of beers whilst reading the paper or a book. Very civilised...

Agreed a hundred percent. Man, take a book to a US bar and it's like there's something wrong with you. We've got coffee shops, but -- just ain't the same thing. (And definitely not what they are in Amsterdam. Or Vancouver in a couple of years, probably...)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:06 am
I think the key G is that you have to look as if you are not lonely. If you go and sit and stare vacantly into space then people think you really DO have nothin better to do. If you walk in, get your beer, sit down and read, people will glance at you, but I've never noticed anyone staring. It's probably better earlier in the afternoon/early evening than later at night. After about 8 alot of pubs are too busy to read properly. I have been chatted up once whilst sitting reading alone in a pub. It was a guy however, but still, nice to know someone noticed me in a good way!

I must admit that certain pubs are better than others. The modern style 'bars' are not so good, as they are open-plan, light & airy places. Which is good for checking out the talent, but not so good for a quiet pint or two. The best pubs are the traditional-style ones, that look like the front-room of someone's house - log fire, dark wood, thick curtains, thick carpets, leather seats. I'm sooo going to stop off for a couple on the way home tonight - I can almost taste that pint!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:07 pm
Grand Duke wrote:
When at University I used to read through my lecture notes whilst supping a brew. Helped to numb the pain of Molecular Biology!

Not a chance at the Wollongong uni bar. It's always got music blaring. Really annoys me after a while.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:17 pm
The pub I like to go to when I really need to focus is generally empty during the week at lunchtime. For me it's people that distract, so no people, save for the barflies, it's okay. I can bury myself in a corner and get stuff done. The home office is too distracting, with e-mail and phone calls and all. It might sound weird, but it works for me.
0 Replies