Drugs/alcohol-experiences and observations.

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:37 pm
patiodog wrote:
Doctors would give somebody a massive dose of acid, stick 'em in a sterile room with no distractions and nobody similarly stimulated to talk to, and then report that the subject was agitated and paranoid. Well, no ****, Sherlock...

LOL!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:46 pm
Heh heh...

patiodog, I actually knew it was laudanum, but many believe it was opium, a myth. I was making an over-subtle quip about being high. Twasn't funny...not all of them are winners.

As for absinthe, it is being sold now, post-Moulin Rouge at horribly inflated prices, without the crucial ingredient, wormwood. For more than half the price, you can get a decent Pernod, or Pastis. All of them are anise-based flavours, so hey, choose your non-poison.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:49 pm
And to think there are people who take Coleridge seriously...

(I think he may have found that English rabbit hole first.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:52 pm
I friggin' hate Coleridge, but I hate Wordsworth more.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:33 pm
i loved e btw. i mean, it was just the year or so. short sweet season. only reason i'm not doing any now (still got a dozen left in my cupboard - anyone want some e, just 4 bucks a piece? <winks>) is cause i dont know anyone who still uses it anymore, and i was done with going out on my own quickly enough. even on e i'm not the type to just start random endless conversations with strangers. i miss the dancing, too, tho - the whole thing. <nods - sad>.

someone had this sig some time, made me grin:
"Computer games don't affect kids! I mean, if pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:20 pm
Quote:
"Computer games don't affect kids! I mean, if pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

so much has just been made clear.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 02:29 am
cavfancier wrote:
As for absinthe, it is being sold now, post-Moulin Rouge at horribly inflated prices, without the crucial ingredient, wormwood.

It's been on sale here for about 4-5 years in pubs & shops. It tastes like bad mouthwash. I'm not sure about it's lack of 'active ingredients' such as wormwood, but it's about 70% ABV, so tends to do funny things to people's heads anyway...
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 04:53 am
It seems as if many of you have taken lsd or shrooms.

I wouldn't dare to do either of those (and I've had enough opportunities to do either) because I'm not sure enough of my grip on reality. No, I'm serious. Sometimes I have mental images of everything going wrong - a particular set of circumstances conspiring to produce a nasty outcome...and I'd HATE to experience one of those images in a state which may mean the image has a magnified impact.

Apart from that and heroin... Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 09:49 am
Probably a wise choice, then, K-pete. The adverse reactions I've seen (including one of the gf's relatives, whose been institutionalized for a couple of years now) went in in questionable states. Definitely psychoactive drugs seem to amplify pre-existing thought patterns -- I even find this with pot when I smoke more than a little of it.

Of the two, though -- psilocybes and lsd -- I've definitely found shrooms to be a lot gentler on my own psyche; much more of a tendency toward paranoia on lsd, whereas shrooms just make me like everybody (even when I can't figure out what the hell motivates them). Well, there was this one rent-a-cop I had a weird run-in with, but some people are hard to deal with no matter what your state is.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:16 am
nimh wrote:
i loved e btw. i mean, it was just the year or so. short sweet season. only reason i'm not doing any now (still got a dozen left in my cupboard - anyone want some e, just 4 bucks a piece? <winks>) is cause i dont know anyone who still uses it anymore, and i was done with going out on my own quickly enough. even on e i'm not the type to just start random endless conversations with strangers. i miss the dancing, too, tho - the whole thing. <nods - sad>.

I hear you there, nimh. I had a couple of years of munching the little fella's on a weekly basis. The novelty wore off after a while, and my tolerance was rising too much as well. I got sick of the come-downs as well. We'd normally leave the club about 2:30 (local hours suck) then play pool for a few hours, and head back for massive weed session till dawn. Smoking joints like cigarettes. I wouldn't go back to that lifestyle now, but don't regret doing it at the time.

It's a strange thing but I now have trouble enjoying dancing 'straight', probably caused by many nights dancing on pills. Without the pills it just doesn't seem the same. Sometimes though when I've had just the right amount of vodka & Red Bull, and the music is right, I can 'imagine' myself on pills, and get the rush - hair on neck standing up, scalp tingling, and most of all a need to dance. A kind of pseudo-buzz. Which is cool. In the right settings I can remember myself into a mild LSD trip as well, after doing quite a few when younger.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:19 am
What is it? I'll take it.
Who is she? I'll rape it.
Got a bet there? I'll meet it.
Getting High? You can't beat it.

Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim
When i'm pilled, you don't notice him
He only comes out when i drink my gin . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:27 am
E is a combination of chemical mescaline and methamphetamine. Not a safe drug, despite claims of supposedly natural E being just that.

Grand Duke, we still have a state-run liquor board here, although technically it's a province-run board, and the absinthe we get is not quite that strong, however, I am not sure what ABV means...could you clarify? Wormwood is that wacky thing they used to put in absinthe that poisoned people. It has been banned for a very long time.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:28 am
ABV = % alcohol by volume
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:29 am
Setanta, wrong thread, but I maintain that Quadrophenia was a much better album than Tommy, and would have made a much better musical. Any thoughts?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:36 am
Cav - ABV means Alcohol By Volume. So I understand that 70% ABV for example means that 70% of the actual drink is pure alcohol. I used it instead of Proof (which I understand is a term from your side of the pond) as I think the two values for the same drink would not be the same. As a guide, most lagers/beers here are between 3.5-5.5% ABV, wine is around 10-12% and spirits such as vodka, whisky and rum are 37-40% ABV. There are import brands of vodka (Smirnoff Black for one) which are around 50%, and I was brought a bottle of Polish vodka by my parents from their holidays which was around 65% ABV. Good stuff... I'm not much of a drinker (I drink regularly rather than heavily) but vodka and a good mixer (Bloody Mary in preference, or with cranberry or orange if not) gets me going...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:38 am
Ahh, okay, I get it now. Sounds the same as our system then.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:41 am
Grand Duke, factoid, just because I felt a kinship: Drinking on a regular basis but not heavily is much healthier than binging and purging, so to speak, a la American college students on spring break. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:42 am
cavfancier wrote:
Setanta, wrong thread, but I maintain that Quadrophenia was a much better album than Tommy, and would have made a much better musical. Any thoughts?

Did you see the movie Quadrophenia, Boss? I thought it didn't work well, but i love the score. My associations with Tommy go back to well before the movie. Pinball Wizard was a hit before the album was released, and all of my associations go back to being a teenager at university getting high and listening to that and Abbey Road over and over again. I thought the movie sucked. I really don't think "rock" movies have every really worked, except Rocky Horror Picture Show.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:47 am
Nice to know I'm in the right, for a change Cav! An average week would see me drink around 15 pints. Some days I'll have none, Fri/Sat night I may have around 5 pints, but mainly 0 or 1 or 2 a day. The ones I enjoy best are after leaving the office. I have to walk through the city centre here in York to get home, and quite often will stop in a pub for 1 or 2 on the way home. The beauty of most British pubs is that you can drink alone without people bothering you or thinking you're an alky. I'll sit quietly in the corner, smoke a few fags and drink a couple of beers whilst reading the paper or a book. Very civilised...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:49 am
I saw the movie, didn't take to it well actually, but I love the original album, and the movie score is okay too. Just comparing albums, Quadrophenia ranks way above Tommy for me. I think you are right about rock movies in general, Rocky Horror is indeed a classic, but Riff Raff's and Jim Sharman's second effort in 1981, Shock Treatment, is a complete disaster.
0 Replies