Do you know how to handle bullying?

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:50 pm
@Linkat,
These are all threatening and/violent behavior - some more so than others.
I do not see teasing and taunting in here any where.

The choking was in reference to one of these. But you could place any of these in place of choking and any of them would be unacceptable behavior in adults.
Pangloss

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:17 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I do not see teasing and taunting in here any where.

Umm...did you not notice:

Quote:
verbal threats, name calling, racial slurs, insults; rejecting, excluding, isolating;• ranking or rating, humiliating;• manipulating friends and relationships;

Teasing and taunting basically fall under verbal threats and name calling, or at least under humiliating. "Rejecting" and "excluding" I guess could mean that simply by not wanting to be friends with someone, you're bullying them.

You missed the whole point of Hawkeye's posting of this ridiculous list. The point is that "bullying" is a blanket term that has become meaningless because it has absorbed so many other verbs.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@Pangloss,
Quote:
You missed the whole point of Hawkeye's posting of this ridiculous list. The point is that "bullying" is a blanket term that has become meaningless because it has absorbed so many other verbs.
my bigger point is that we choose to promote the weak amongst us, and the ones who choose to play weak. We have turned a nation that was a meritocracy ass backwards around, and then we wonder why nearly everything about our nation is so fucked up.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:26 am
@Linkat,
You're welcome.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:06 pm
I regret that I lost my temper in this topic and reacted personally. But hawkeye10 and pangloss' comments were morally reprehensible. After revealing their social Darwinist views (as if human beings are nothing more than animals), they then proceeded to lower themselves even further by defending criminal intent to commit physical assault. That is a far cry from name-calling. It's enough to make me wonder if they were abused as children.
Pangloss

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
@wmwcjr,
1) Bullying has nothing to do with social darwinism
2)Nobody here defended assault or intent to commit assault

You must have really been picked on as a kid to be so sensitive to this issue, and I feel sorry that you were unable to stand up for yourself at that point in time. But your emotional reaction to this thread is clouding any ability to logically consider an argument; my main argument being, we don't need bullying laws, because stuff like assault is already illegal, and other aspects of bullying are protected by free speech. If you can't grasp that, it's really too bad.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:18 am
If I came up behind hawkeye10 or pangloss and hit him on the head with some object hard enough to knock him out, I'd be in trouble with the law; and rightly so. We could argue as to whether minors, because of their young age, should be subject to the same penalties of law for such crimes as adults; but the principle is the same. Assault is assault, whether committed by a minor or an adult.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:48 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
If I came up behind hawkeye10 or pangloss and hit him on the head with some object hard enough to knock him out, I'd be in trouble with the law; and rightly so. We could argue as to whether minors, because of their young age, should be subject to the same penalties of law for such crimes as adults; but the principle is the same. Assault is assault, whether committed by a minor or an adult.
That is very clear.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 12:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you, David. Actually, you're the legal expert; and I'm definitely not. Of course, I wasn't claiming to be one, either. Smile
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:44 am
Nobody in this thread ever argued that violence or assault should be allowed. I think it's been just the opposite of that.

We do also all have the right to be clueless, if we so choose.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:46 am
Pangloss wrote:
We do also all have the right to be clueless, if we so choose.

Some of us don't choose..
Pangloss

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:52 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

Some of us don't choose..

Well, this is like the 10th thread I've viewed on here in the last couple days that has been derailed due to the emotional rants of a single poster...so you might be in the minority.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 01:28 pm
@Pangloss,
I agree that we shouldn't need bullying laws. I guess the problem is no one seems to be doing anything about this. Curious (as I am not an expert) - are these/how do these assault laws impact children? Maybe the thing is to enforce our current laws rather than making new ones.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:32 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Maybe the thing is to enforce our current laws rather than making new ones.

Well, of course this is the right approach. And in bullying situations where existing laws aren't broken, it really should be left to the schools, parents, and kids themselves, to handle the instance on a case-by-case basis. One set of laws for all of these incidents is a terrible solution, and bullying kids need school discipline, not a criminal record (unless they actually commit a criminal action). For the record, name calling and taunting are not criminal...and really this stuff shouldn't even be happening in class, if the teachers have control of their classrooms.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
I agree that zero tolerance policies of whatever kind in the schools seem to not work very well. But Pangloss would never see the need for any school rule at all against bullying (especially by popular students, no doubt). What is not being discussed is the fact that there is a dirty little secret that has been the reality in this country for generations. There are many adult Americans (including seemingly most school principals) who condone, defend, and approve of bullying (even the physical kind, no matter how degrading); and Pangloss and hawkeye10 are among them.
Pangloss

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@wmwcjr,
You're just making assumptions, when you know nothing about myself or hawkeye. The refusal to read/comprehend posts, the ad hominems, and the putting of words in others' mouths is wearing thin.

Teachers should have rules against bullying, because, I would hope that students are in class to learn and not to just insult, taunt, or make fun of one another.

Actually, it's quite ironic here that wmwcjr is against bullying in principle, but in practice, his/her posts on this thread more closely resemble "internet bullying" than anybody else's.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:24 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
But hawkeye10 and pangloss' comments were morally reprehensible. After revealing their social Darwinist views (as if human beings are nothing more than animals), they then proceeded to lower themselves even further by defending criminal intent to commit physical assault. That is a far cry from name-calling. It's enough to make me wonder if they were abused as children.
It is my moral duty to do what I can to help produce the best next generation of adults that I can, and part of that is to expose kids to real life situations so that they can learn to deal with them. I am sure you feel all morally superior for trying to protect kids from all harm that might potentially come their way, but you have no right to that high opinion of yourself. As a adult you are refusing to teach, because you don't like the subject matter. Where I come from we call that dereliction of duty.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
But hawkeye10 and pangloss' comments were morally reprehensible. After revealing their social Darwinist views (as if human beings are nothing more than animals), they then proceeded to lower themselves even further by defending criminal intent to commit physical assault. That is a far cry from name-calling. It's enough to make me wonder if they were abused as children.
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is my moral duty to do what I can to help produce the best next generation of adults that I can, and part of that is to expose kids to real life situations so that they can learn to deal with them. I am sure you feel all morally superior for trying to protect kids from all harm that might potentially come their way, but you have no right to that high opinion of yourself. As a adult you are refusing to teach, because you don't like the subject matter. Where I come from we call that dereliction of duty.
Because I am an adult, I have a duty to teach ??
From whence did that duty arise ?

David
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Absolutely....all adults have a duty to lend a hand in bringing along the next generation. This is why we pay for schools out of universal property taxes instead of admission fees.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Absolutely....all adults have a duty to lend a hand in bringing along the next generation.
This is why we pay for schools out of universal property taxes instead of admission fees.
O. Up until now, I 'd been under the impression that it was a duty to pay taxes, not to teach,
but I understand your point of vu.

David
0 Replies