Do you know how to handle bullying?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
you are an idiot, but you probably DO know it.
Then put me in my place...make a better argument than me. You have been invited to do so in thread after thread, but you never come up with the goods. After all this time the conclusion that must be reached is that you cant.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
you reach for whatever you can grasp...

I have no desire to legitimize you with actual arguments.

go play with your friends...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:29 pm

It is IMPOSSIBLE for an idiot
to post on the Internet. We do get a lot of psychos, tho. (Some woud acccuse ME.)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 03:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
just for the record before I leave this steaming dung pile you want to create to play in...

for someone that claims to not be a victim, you certainly always choose to argue from that perspective.

the bullies at a2k are victimizing you.

the feminists are victimizing you.

the rape laws are victimizing you.

the local school activities association is victimizing you.

I'll stop there, because I really don't give a rats ass about anything you dredge up to get all morally outraged about.

Out.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you, David, for the kind words. I knew that hawkeye10 was accustomed to angry reactions from other members. I disagree with some (perhaps many) of his views myself; and he does seem to be a tough old bird (middle-aged raptor, that is), anyway. Yesterday I was searching for comments posted by another member (since banned) and chose to visit this old topic. I glanced at a post or two I had submitted when I lost my temper with hawkeye10 and pangloss and couldn't believe that I had reduced myself to the level of name-calling and childish rudeness, which was not the first time I had done so here at A2K. I'm not prone to losing my temper in real life. I'm concerned about giving people the wrong impression of myself when I lose my temper online. (Actually, I don't think I will ever lose my temper online anymore. I have a different way of looking at board messaging now.) There are certain past exchanges I can't bring myself to read. There's too much anger involved (on both sides). Yesterday I was feeling ashamed that I had shown such a lack of class, even though at the time I did apologize to hawkeye10 by PM for losing my temper and carried on a civil exchange with him afterwards in the topic. (I should have also apologized to pangloss.)

Ugh, that wasn't one of my better written posts. Oh, well ... who cares? Mr. Green
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:16 pm
@wmwcjr,
Its HARD to imagine u being even nicer
than u already R.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thank you for the kind words, hawkeye10. I have figured out why my nerve twitched, and it certainly had nothing to do with you personally. When I have a personal interest in a particular issue because of my own past experiences, I'm capable of becoming emotional about it instead of presenting my own views in an effective rational way and with an attempt to understand and respect others (as much as is possible), all the while realizing that this is just an online forum and that most (if any) of us are not in any position to put into effect policy changes. You mention processing ... My problem is that I didn't understand myself for decades until beginning in the last few years. There is abuse, and then there is deprivation and alienation. In my own childhood and early adulthood, I experienced more of the last two than I did of abuse. When I was a kid, I experienced considerable emotional pain and did not understand for many years what its real cause was. I grew up with depression, not even knowing what it was. Today, while I'm a bleeding heart towards others, I do realize (and have actually seen in the example of one of my recent friends) that the victim mentality can hurt the victim and even incline him/her to become a victimizer.

Perhaps this post could have been better written as well, but I've got business to attend. Later ...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you, David. Your compliment is an honor.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 04:39 pm
This is making the rounds on facebook. Good Idea...

A teacher in New York was teaching her class about bullying and gave them the following exercise to perform. She had the children take a piece of paper and told them to crumple it up, stamp on it and really mess it up but do not rip it. Then she had them unfold the paper, smooth it out and look at how scarred and dirty is was. She then told them to tell it they’re sorry. Now even though they said they were sorry and tried to fix the paper, she pointed out all the scars they left behind. And that those scars will never go away no matter how hard they tried to fix it. That is what happens when a child bully’s another child, they may say they’re sorry but the scars are there forever. The looks on the faces of the children in the classroom told her the message hit home.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 06:22 pm
@Ceili,
Is that limited to CHILDREN?? I think not.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:03 am
So I finished my daughter's book about bullying. It was an adult's recount of their own history of being bullied. Seemed this child had some sort of medical condition and to top it off caused him to develop later in life. It was pretty good in that in the last few chapters it dealt with the bully and their viewpoint (good and bad), the bullied (good, bad, what they can do) and those on the outskirts - other kids witnessing it.

It does have a very Christian slant to it - as this was directed for a Christian school with references to the Bible of how to cope and how the Bible suggests handling things so it may not be of interest to everyone. The boy was also at the time a son of a minister. It talks about this now and gives lots of presentations that are received well.

Overall I do think it covers things well - and it is not about just the teasing level of bullying - but to the point where a child does not want to go to school and is fearful every day. There are also references to Columbine - I think it gave the proper message without being over kill - like tell every time some times says something mean. It was a good balance and looked at aspects from all sides.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:04 am
@Ceili,
The book I read, does refer how the scars do not go away even after dealing with it and growing up - I like the visual image - I'd imagine for kids it is easier to get the "picture" seeing it visually rather than just being lectured.
0 Replies

williamd12

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 01:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Parents need to know that children and adolescents are not safe just because they are home. If they have access to the internet (on cell phones or computers), unsupervised, they are as much at risk as if they were hanging out outside the home. Children who isolate are are greater risk for self injurious behavior and suicide. Talk to your children and adolescents and more importantly, LISTEN. Long car rides are often the best place to get them to talk.

Schools need to take the issue of bullying seriously. Stop thinking of it as simply meeting a criteria or another legislative overreaching demand. Creating an atmosphere of safety and zero tolerance, where bullying is simply understood as unacceptable, is critical to the long lasting change and ensuring youth security and well being. Assemblies with staff will not accomplish this. It’s about culture change.

We can learn more from Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies