Who will win the senatorial election in Massachusetts ?

slkshock7

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo wrote:
slkshock7 wrote:

Great day to be conservative and a republican! I'm pleased by a number of Democrat Congressman conceding that they now must rethink their methods and policies in Washington. Hopefully, Obama gets the same message.

I wouldn't bet on that.

It will be very bad for the Dems if they don't get the message. They still have a chance to say...."OK, we hear you...let's step back, reevaluate and perhaps focus on fixing the economy for a change." But if they continue with this bull-headed race and double-down on healthcare thru shenanigans to avoid a 2nd Senate vote, they will most assuredly lose the House in Nov. I believe that if they instead cut their losses and fixed on jobs for the next six months, they'd have a chance to stop the bleeding before the elections in Nov. Of course, they should feel free to ignore my advice...
Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:39 pm
Rachel Maddow called the people of Massachusetts 'delusional'.
JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
@Irishk,
Why?
Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:41 pm
@JPB,
Brown won and she's 'not pleased'?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:42 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Unless they actually choose to listen and incorporate some of the Republican's ideas.

Like what?

As to the politics of it, I'm afraid that the ideological cleansing within the Republican party has left us with 40 Republican senators who will accept nothing but unconditional surrender. I don't believe further compromising will do anything for Senate Democrats -- or, more importantly, for America.
ebrown p

@maporsche,
Quote:

Unless they actually choose to listen and incorporate some of the Republican's ideas.

I'm pissed that we're not going to get single payer, or a public option, but if those two things are off the table, then one has to admit that of the remaining ideas, the republicans have some good ones.

For example???
Cycloptichorn

@slkshock7,
Quote:
Of course, they should feel free to ignore my advice...

Good, because that's exactly what they SHOULD do.

Since when is taking advice from your opponents considered a good idea, I ask you? It's a terrible idea.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

@Irishk,
This kind of stuff always pisses my off. The people of Massachusetts voted for the person they want to represent them in Congress. That's their choice to make. Rachel doesn't get to decide that they're delusional because they've come out in record numbers to vote for their choice.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

I'm pissed that we're not going to get single payer, or a public option, but if those two things are off the table, then one has to admit that of the remaining ideas, the republicans have some good ones.

For example???

Doubt you'll get a response on that one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:44 pm
I'll have to dig out my Mark Kirk emails. He's authored a couple amendments that might get some notice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:44 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

This kind of stuff always pisses my off. The people of Massachusetts voted for the person they want to represent them in Congress. That's their choice to make. Rachel doesn't get to decide that they're delusional because they've come out in record numbers to vote for their choice.

They're delusional, because Brown is a fool in many ways and the Republicans in general are still the same bunch of morons who supported Bush 100% and ran the economy into the toilet. Electing more of them is the wrong way to go right now, and a bunch of purity trolls throwing fits b/c of lack of progress on health care reform and other issues is a delusional thing to do.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:45 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
Rachel Maddow called the people of Massachusetts 'delusional'.

What reasoning has lead Maddow to that conclusion?
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:46 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Like what?

Here's a great start.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/04/AR2009100402003.html?sid=ST2009101402985
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:48 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Thomas wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Like what?

Here's a great start.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/04/AR2009100402003.html?sid=ST2009101402985

Which one of those do you think are good ideas, and why?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

JPB wrote:

They're delusional, because Brown is a fool in many ways and the Republicans in general are still the same bunch of morons who supported Bush 100% and ran the economy into the toilet. Electing more of them is the wrong way to go right now, and a bunch of purity trolls throwing fits b/c of lack of progress on health care reform and other issues is a delusional thing to do.

Cycloptichorn

Oh, please... We've got a two party system in this country that sucks no matter which way one swings the bat. Folks didn't like Bush so they gave the entire legislative and executive branches to the Dems to control. oops... We find ourselves in the deepest recession since the depression and they're swing back to the Republicans. They aren't delusional -- they're playing the system the only way the system allows them to play.
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
@maporsche,
This is a very long washlist. Which items on it are the ones you like?
djjd62

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

This is a very long washlist. Which items on it are the ones you like?

i like the hawaiian shirt fridays option
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:52 pm
@Thomas,
She was chatting with Chris Matthews, who said that the people of Massachusetts were sending a message...I think she was disagreeing with him.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:53 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

JPB wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Oh, please... We've got a two party system in this country that sucks no matter which way one swings the bat. Folks didn't like Bush so they gave the entire legislative and executive branches to the Dems to control. oops... We find ourselves in the deepest recession since the depression and they're swing back to the Republicans. They aren't delusional -- they're playing the system the only way the system allows them to play.

We found ourselves in the recession due to the mismanagement of the party who thinks that any regulation you've ever seen is a bad one. They actively did nothing - (I don't mean that they didn't know that markets existed, or that that much money was in them, but that they actually chose not to regulate) - did nothing to regulate the markets which crashed and are currently arguing that they don't NEED new regulations, that they will 'hurt business.' Many of the Republicans in both houses consistently argue that the banks and investment houses can self-regulate!

Handing the reins to people who believe that, in the face of what happened, is delusional.

Not that I think this election had as much to do with that, as it did a weak Dem candidate in a poor political environment.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:54 pm
@Thomas,
In fact, I like all of them (although, I'd need to see specific details since these ideas are pretty vague). And I think all of them should be in the bill in one form or another (and some are, like electronic medical records, and pre-existing condition coverage)

Which one's don't you like?