Who will win the senatorial election in Massachusetts ?

Gala

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
@ebrown p,
Oh, that kind of prediction? Who's scared, if you're wrong, so what?

Let's see:

Brown 45%
Coakaineley: 43%
Die-hard Kennedy lovers and others: %11
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe your interpretation requires a certain .... suspension of common sense.
Why? Massachusetts already has health care, so they don't need to elect someone to push that agenda.

I know you really want this to be about Obama, but it's not about Obama.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:22 am
It will be close - one thing I can say is that this is the largest voter turnout I've witnessed at least where I vote. I voted in the primary and when I got there in the afternoon there were fewer people who voted than had first thing this morning. This morning I couldn't find an open parking space. Granted inside because there were 4 precinents I did not have to wait in line - but I've never seen the parking full before and this was at 8:00 am.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:29 am
@sozobe,
I can tell you from what I've heard - there are many (of course) die hard Democratics in Mass - many are stating they are having a hard time deciding - they do not feel they can cross party lines and vote Republican, but on the other hand they do not want to vote for Martha. Some even mentioned instead to write in Amirault. For those that are not familiar with this - this is the poor man in the Fells Acres Day Care Case subject to stay in prison for years even after it was determined he was not guilty.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:39 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

What is the objective basis for this rather unqualified assertion of fact?

It appears to me that very few people believe you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:41 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

What is the objective basis for this rather unqualified assertion of fact?

It appears to me that very few people believe you.

Maybe on your side of the fence.

Do you honestly believe that Obama would not easily win re-election in MA at this point? Of course he would.

This election is a referendum on Obama the same way as elections were referendums on Bush while he was president: fun to talk about, but don't expect it to change anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm
Go Scott Br0wn.

This is not only a referendum on Coakley, but a referendum on Obama and the entire Democratic Party bunch in Washington, their corruption, fiscal irresponsibility, national security boondoggles, Obamacare, and everything else they are trying to ram down our throats in all kinds of ways.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:07 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Go Scott Br0wn.

This is not only a referendum on Coakley, but a referendum on Obama and the entire Democratic Party bunch in Washington, their corruption, fiscal irresponsibility, national security boondoggles, Obamacare, and everything else they are trying to ram down our throats in all kinds of ways.

Yeah, it's also a referendum on Humanity itself, and the worth of the Entire Universe.

Rolling Eyes

Are you still going to be claiming it's a referendum is Coakley wins; and that the Dems and their ideas won and are supreme?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It depends upon the margin of victory. If I am not mistaken, Democrats have won easily here for a long time, including Teddy Kennedy, even with all of his exploits and problems. If this was in a state that was not solidly Democrat or liberal, then it would not be as huge in terms of how people are viewing Obama and the Democrats. Even if Coakley wins, if it is a very small razor thin margin, it is still troubling for Obama and Democrats.

Obviously I am hoping big time that Coakley loses in a rather definitive way, but I would take any kind of razor thin win by the Republican as a huge victory.
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@okie,
I agree - either way this election is sending a huge message to our government.

To think our predominently Democratic state would even come close to voting in a Republican to the Senate especially the former Ted Kennedy Liberal Lion's seat is unheard of - if anything this election is exciting. I can't remember in my own personal voting history of a Republican ever having even slight a chance to win a Senate seat.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

It depends upon the margin of victory. If I am not mistaken, Democrats have won easily here for a long time, including Teddy Kennedy, even with all of his exploits and problems. If this was in a state that was not solidly Democrat or liberal, then it would not be as huge in terms of how people are viewing Obama and the Democrats. Even if Coakley wins, if it is a very small razor thin margin, it is still troubling for Obama and Democrats.

Obviously I am hoping big time that Coakley loses in a rather definitive way, but I would take any kind of razor thin win by the Republican as a huge victory.

Of course you would. Need I remind you that MA votes for Republicans from time to time - such as Romney?

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
But not for the Senate seat.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

But not for the Senate seat.

This is thanks in large part to the power of Incumbency - the same guy holding the seat for decades doesn't necessarily mean that the place is overwhelmingly liberal.

For example, Texas has had Republican senators forever. But the breakdown of the state is probably about 60-40 Republican-Dem.

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:39 pm
Things are looking awfully good on the turnout front. (The conventional wisdom is that high turnout means Coakley victory).

Both the Boston Globe, and blogs are reporting very high turnout-- the Globe said the number voting so far is double the number who voted in the primary.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I live in Mass - it is overwhelming Liberal.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You don't know much about Massachusetts.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

You don't know much about Massachusetts.

Sure I do, as much as anyone knows about a state in which they don't live, but have spent some time. I'm well aware that it is a liberal state - but this idea that such a thing prevents members of the opposite party from being elected is just silly, it happens with some frequency all over the nation.

Cycloptichorn
Gala

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 01:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree with you, that's why I think this Brown guy is going to win. I think the Democrats just took for granted the seat would be theirs, especially considering this Coakley woman was up in the polls by 31% not long ago. She basically threw the election away by making some really dumb remarks.

It gives you an idea of just how good of a campaign Obama ran. Unfortunately, his presidency looks nothing like his campaign, another reason the Dem's will lose.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 01:04 pm
This is a very entertaining thread. Far more entertaining than the election itself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

I agree with you, that's why I think this Brown guy is going to win. I think the Democrats just took for granted the seat would be theirs, especially considering this Coakley woman was up in the polls by 31% not long ago. She basically threw the election away by making some really dumb remarks.

It gives you an idea of just how good of a campaign Obama ran. Unfortunately, his presidency looks nothing like his campaign, another reason the Dem's will lose.

Well, that's in large part b/c he has had to moderate and make deals to achieve goals once in office of the president - whereas in the campaign, everything is golden and rosy.

I will say that Obama continually warned folks that it would be a long, hard slog and that we would have to take what we could get for some time. I wonder why nobody remembers that part?

Cycloptichorn